Galapagos and sailing on the Xpedition

DiamondSuiteCruiser

Hello,

Can anyone give me some insight to sailing on the Expedition? I read the reviews, and it sounds like a must do trip, But can anyone tell me if they experienced any sea sickness? I love to cruise, and have had no issues, but I have been known to get sea sick on smaller boats when we have gone fishing. Are the seas rough and does the ship rock a lot? Also they say the price is all inclusive, what exactly does it include (flights)?

Thanks in advance!

Gina

It is a cruise of a lifetime. I am very prone to sea sickness and usually start off wearing a patch. We did not need it on this cruise. It is a small ship, but the waters were very calm. We did get the suite, as i wanted to be able to go out on a balcony if necessary. Everything means that, really. The flight from Quito to the islands was included. All food and any drinks were included as well as tips. We did bring cash and tipped extra, as the crew was great. The only time i was queasy was when we were on the top deck trying on wetsuits. Most people were a little queasy doing this also. it was short lived and felt great again once that was done.. The animals were incredible, no fear at all of man, and the snorkeling was also some of the best we have done. any more questions, just ask.

July will be our second Galapagos trip. We love that ship, and this time booked a suite. It is really all inclusive, if you do the 10 or 11 day package, hotel, flight from Quito to the Galapagos, entrance fee to the islands. Of course if you buy a tshirt etc on board, there would be that charge. I don't get bothered by nothing, but do not remember any big issues with motion. It is great, and cannot wait to go back again.

to the islands so be sure you are agile enough to get in/out of the zodiacs and you can sit on the sides without fear of falling in or over. We had to cancel our Galapagos cruise when we found out about the zodiacs. You also need to be able to climb/up down ladders.

Just a caution.:(

to the islands so be sure you are agile enough to get in/out of the zodiacs and you can sit on the sides without fear of falling in or over. We had to cancel our Galapagos cruise when we found out about the zodiacs. You also need to be able to climb/up down ladders.

On our Galapagos cruise we had a gentleman in a wheelchair. They took excellent care of him and he was able to go on many excursions as they took him around the islands in the zodiac. At the end of the cruise we asked him if he felt like he missed anything and he said definately not. He would not have missed it for the world.

I do not entirely agree about the mobility issue. When we were on before I had badly injured my right leg on our trip down on the Infinity. As a matter of fact I had stitches in my legs. I did not have an issue with the zodiacs at all, as the crew is very helpful. There was a guest recovering from a double knee replacement and had a great time.

This is a wonderful trip. We went in August and for the first two days there was some motion at night when we were underway, but nothing awful, don't mss this cruise because of that. I was so worried about clambering in and out of zodiacs before I went because I am only 5 foot and not too agile, but I was absolutely fine. As others have said, the crew ... Naturalists actually .... are marvelous. Please go, it is a wonderful experience, I would go again any day.

Thank you so much to everyone that has replied! I appreciate any and all info that you can provide. Thank you hallasm for attaching your blog. I will be following it, looking for your pictures and reading all the info. Please enjoy your trip!

I hear the rooms are small, but then again I've also read that you are so busy that you are not in the rooms that much, and that after dinner you are pretty tired and about ready for bed.

I think I really would love to do this cruise. We both get around very well still, I am 53 and my DH is 60, so this should not be an issue. We live in FL and we are somewhat use to the heat and humidity, so that shouldn't be an issue. DH is very fair skinned and is not really suppose to be in the sun, but he could wear sun screen and long sleeved shirts. I think I really want to do this more than he does, so we are in the planning stage.

If anyone has pictures that they wouldn't mind sharing, that would be great!

Best trip hands down out of 20 cruises! Celebrity has this down from the beginning stay in five star Marriott to cruise and getting you back home. I am not one for doing tours in groups. This was run so well and we never felt like we were waiting like on other tours. The crew works very hard, Driving pangas during day working in kitchen at night.

As far as what is included? Everything except first meal the night you arrive in Quito's. All tours, tips, drinks wine and cocktails,water. We spent less than $300 extra in 10 days.

Motion of ship, never felt it being rough. The waters we traveled were very calm. We traveled in October.

I am short 5'1"and never felt it hard to get in pangas.

Everyone should have this on bucket list!!!!!

I found this blog that has really good pictures.

http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2012/0...en-better.html)

I am sure you are aware of long post on any one back from Xpedition part 2 has a wealth of information.

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > ROLL CALLS > Celebrity "Connections" Roll Calls > Celebrity Xpedition Roll Calls

Xpedition - Anyone recently back? PART 2

As others have mentioned, this is a wonderful trip. We went in 2011 and have no regrets. If I can get in and out of the Zodiacs, just about anyone can. If you need help, you will get it. We also had a woman with mobility issues on our cruise. She went on almost all of the excursions with everyone else as the crew helped her. They were great. As for all inclusive - we booked the tour that included two nights in Quito before the cruise. We paid for our airfare to Quito (and home again after the cruise) and dinner upon arrival - but that was it (except for gifts if we wanted to buy any). Everything else was included - airfare to the islands, meals, drinks, tips - everything.

Hello,

Can anyone give me some insight to sailing on the Expedition? I read the reviews, and it sounds like a must do trip, But can anyone tell me if they experienced any sea sickness? I love to cruise, and have had no issues, but I have been known to get sea sick on smaller boats when we have gone fishing. Are the seas rough and does the ship rock a lot? Also they say the price is all inclusive, what exactly does it include (flights)?

Thanks in advance!

Gina

gINA

GO ON THE sPECIFIC ROLL CALL ON TRIP ADVISOR

OR FOR AN OFFBEAT REVIEW GO TO

WWW.THEBROOKLYNKIDGOESTO.COM

IT HAS PICS JUST SCROLL DOWN

gINA

GO ON THE sPECIFIC ROLL CALL ON TRIP ADVISOR

OR FOR AN OFFBEAT REVIEW GO TO

WWW.THEBROOKLYNKIDGOESTO.COM

IT HAS PICS JUST SCROLL DOWN

Thank you, I did and I found it very hard to stop looking at all the pages of beautiful pictures. I think I need to sit down with my DH and look and see what date we can book.

Thanks you everyone!! :)

Some quick corrections...

All drinks are included except some top shelf brands that cost a little extra.

There is one seat in each zodiac where one could sit if they were fearful of sitting on the sides.

You will spend almost no time in your cabin, so cabin size is not a real issue. This is one cruise where a balcony is not needed.

The yacht is 298' long and it is technically a yacht subject to different rules and regulations than a ship over 300'. (in reality there is no difference).

Wet landings mean that you may have water up to your ankle because you have to slide off onto the beach.

Best cruise we've ever taken....

I wanted to add that we did book one of the balcony rooms (503 I think) and I do not regret the extra cost. It is a good shape and size and the bathroom was roomier than some we have had on larger ships. Although we did not spend as much time on the balcony as other cruises, it was still lovely to be out there at times, particularly before dinner. One night they turn the ship's spotlights onto the water and it is amazing to see turtles and sharks swimming around.

Hi

We have been on this trip and can confirm what others have said, calm seas no seasickness; wonderful crew of naturalists; no problems with zodiacs and we are not fit people.

You will love it it is the trip of a lifetime

Video of the ship

Video of the cruise

Photos of the cruise

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkrb3Jz

Photos of the ship are on there too but for some reason the paste function on my Mac isn't playing!!

I wanted to add that we did book one of the balcony rooms (503 I think) and I do not regret the extra cost. It is a good shape and size and the bathroom was roomier than some we have had on larger ships. Although we did not spend as much time on the balcony as other cruises, it was still lovely to be out there at times, particularly before dinner. One night they turn the ship's spotlights onto the water and it is amazing to see turtles and sharks swimming around.

Thank you, I do love having a balcony, if we don't get to use it that much. We are thinking of CAT XS, we don't need one of the PH suites, I like those on the more laid back cruises, where I can enjoy both the room and the balcony. 503 is the PH on the Panorama deck.

We did this cruise in 2008 for our 40th wedding anniversary. Without doubt it is the best cruise we have ever done. We did not have a balcony and didn't miss one. The small number of passengers meant that we made friends quickly and spent much of the time we were on board sharing conversation in the bar or on deck. Celebrity looked after us from arrival in Quito (at 4am because of problems with our flight which returned to Miami) and departure at Quito airport. When we arrived, the Celebrity rep was there to meet us, and before leaving us at the hotel she asked us what time we would like to take the tour in the morning. The six people on the delayed flight decided we would be ready at about 10:30, so a minibus was provided at that time. We followed the itinerary of the main tour which had departed at 9am. This level of service continued throughout the whole of our time with Celebrity. I would recommend this cruise package to anyone who is at all interested in wild life, and would repeat the experience if there were not so many places in the world that we haven't seen yet.

I should add that we are usually very independent travellers, and rarely book cruise line tours, or pre and post cruise packages. On this occasion we were very glad we booked the whole experience with Celebrity because it was so seamless and the few people we spoke to who had made their own arrangements had not saved a significant amount of money or enjoyed the exceptional service that we had.

We are actually sailing March 1! Our concern is regarding the type of shoes to wear on the islands. Are all the landings "wet", so that we need to wear water shoes to get off the zodiac, then change into hiking/sneakers? I know it's last minute but as usual the countdown brings up questions!

Also, did you find sneakers were fine for the hiking or would hiking boots be better?

Sneakers will be fine, although I did take a light weight walking shoe which was great for walking on lava. Often I would slip offmy shoes for wet landing and then dry my feet with a small cabin towel before wearing them, other days I would just walk in my water shoes Some days were dry landings. they will tell you every night what the best footwear will be for the next day. I alternated between my walking shoes, water sandles, and sneakers.

On the day you go to the highlands to see tortoises it was very muddy and they provided rubber boots for everyone.

I found this blog that has really good pictures.

http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2012/0...en-better.html)

I am sure you are aware of long post on any one back from Xpedition part 2 has a wealth of information.

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > ROLL CALLS > Celebrity "Connections" Roll Calls > Celebrity Xpedition Roll Calls

Xpedition - Anyone recently back? PART 2

Thanks for putting up a link to my blog ... but it doesn't seem to work, so I'll post the link again ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2012/07/hint-hint-hint.html. The link will take you to the very first post in my series for the Galapagos. All of the posts are under July 2012.

Go and have a great time ... that's the only advice I have.

We are actually sailing March 1! Our concern is regarding the type of shoes to wear on the islands. Are all the landings "wet", so that we need to wear water shoes to get off the zodiac, then change into hiking/sneakers? I know it's last minute but as usual the countdown brings up questions!

Also, did you find sneakers were fine for the hiking or would hiking boots be better?

Something like Tevas is perfect....if they get wet, they just dry out and they have good soles for walking. You don't really need fancy hiking shoes/boots for this trip....you can't just go off an wander around....the areas where you are allowed to be are marked.

Personally, I was planng to bring my hiking boots again this time. Have the trails changed since 2007? I was glad to have my boots then. I remember a few of the trails were walking over loose rocks. One woman in our group who was wearing sandals fell and sprained her ankle. I was glad to have the ankle support.

Do they still show you the excursion opportunities the evening before? Last time I based my footwear on what the trails looked like in presentations. For dry landings, I'd almost always wear the boots. For wet landings, I'd either wear water sneakers for flat trails or bring my boots and put them on after landing.

Archived