Port Rituals?

Virtopia

So, I've been doing a lot of planning for my Southern Caribbean cruise in September and since I'll be visiting 5 islands (6 if you include San Juan), I wanted to find something weird and fun to do in each port.

Does anyone else have something they do at each port they visit?

I'll purchase the standard key chain and postcard, but I'd really like to do something different ... like take a picture in front of a unique door, on a colorful staircase or with the customary welcome sign.

I'll be visiting St Croix, Antigua, St Maarten, Barbados and St Lucia so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them!

Typically I will take a picture of my partner and I on a beach. In the sand we have written the date, and the name of the island. Those pictures always lead the days pictures off in the album. Also there is no guessing where we were in the years that follow!

We were lucky ships tours booked so we went out looking for a tour. Go out the front gate lots of off ship tour operator are there and find a tour driver named Chris, sorry lost his card, he looks very professional and in his 50's. he drives a new 6-8 passenger van, and does the whole island, just like other Ships tours, but he will get you into places that the ships tours just drive by like the place where William and Kate stayed on their visit to Barbados(this was not on the tour, but requested by a passenger) and where Tiger woods was married. Price was about $15 to 25 PP depending the number of passengers.

Typically I will take a picture of my partner and I on a beach. In the sand we have written the date, and the name of the island. Those pictures always lead the days pictures off in the album. Also there is no guessing where we were in the years that follow!

That is a cute idea.

on ST marteen there is a little old man that sells crepes. if you walk straight from the ship to the dead end you will run into his little stand. I have gotten a crepe from him the last four years in a row. Each year I tell him see ya next summer! Silly as it sounds I really look forward this each year.:p:rolleyes:

In the same port you can get Dr. Pepper that you cant get on the ship. DH and I are dr pepper addicts. we always go get a dr P. in this port.

We always have to try a local beer (or two) also! Thats not too weird,though..we also buy a Christmas ornament too. Thats not too weird either.

The only thing I would call weird is making my family pose in front of a statue so I can take a picture but I make them pose like the statue...I was screwing around in Nassau and made my hubby pose like King whoever...and now we always do it just because we have so much fun!!

on ST marteen there is a little old man that sells crepes. if you walk straight from the ship to the dead end you will run into his little stand. I have gotten a crepe from him the last four years in a row. Each year I tell him see ya next summer! Silly as it sounds I really look forward this each year.:p:rolleyes:

In the same port you can get Dr. Pepper that you cant get on the ship. DH and I are dr pepper addicts. we always go get a dr P. in this port.

We've been to St. Maarten many times but I can't figure out where you mean about the dead end. I'd like to find the 'crepe man'. Sounds fun. :)

I always immediately pick up one of the colorful folded maps of the island at each ports "Welcome Booth" - we have found many great places and hidden treasures on these maps.

Pocket sized when folded, great fun to bring home and reminisce and share

I also have about 25 sun visors from all over the planet - handy, fun souvenier, and great conversation pieces

I always pick up a snowglobe from wherever I'm traveling, even if that place has never seen "snow"! And I try to eat something local, even if it's just a sandwich from a stand.

Not related to cruising, but when I traveled through Europe with my friends in college, we picked up an adorable green plastic fish (like a rubber ducky) at a store. We named him Hugh and took him on all our travels. I have a picture of Hugh visiting every iconic site along the way--that little plastic fish has more passport stamps than most people!

Haven't cruised enough to have a ritual! I collect snow globes on vacations but only if unique to the location; no generic ones with palm trees on a beach for example. I also collect magnets; every time I open the refrigerator I can revisit my favorite places.

But my favorite collectible is to get small and decorative cat items, mainly for a dedicated shelf but I've also gotten a stained glass and other things to display. It's my excuse for shopping and only counts if the kitty is charming and makes me think of our own Tabby back home. Hello Kitty, Garfield, et al don't make the cut!

So, I've been doing a lot of planning for my Southern Caribbean cruise in September and since I'll be visiting 5 islands (6 if you include San Juan), I wanted to find something weird and fun to do in each port.

Does anyone else have something they do at each port they visit?

I'll purchase the standard key chain and postcard, but I'd really like to do something different ... like take a picture in front of a unique door, on a colorful staircase or with the customary welcome sign.

I'll be visiting St Croix, Antigua, St Maarten, Barbados and St Lucia so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them!

I wouldn't call it a ritual... ever wonder, looking at the photos, where it was taken, and can't remember? When we are in a new port, I start photos with the welcome sign that has the name of the port on it. Helps in sorting out the photos at home.

Take a picture of whatever the cruise newsletter is called for that day before getting off the ship. That way when we are home looking at the pictures later, we always know where and when.

We did this last month and it worked great! On the water sunrises and sunsets can look the same. If it's right after the picture of the newsletter, it's a sunrise. LOL

I wouldn't call it a ritual... ever wonder, looking at the photos, where it was taken, and can't remember? When we are in a new port, I start photos with the welcome sign that has the name of the port on it. Helps in sorting out the photos at home.

I definitely plan to do that and wish I had done it on my other sailings.

So far, I've got the keychain, postcard, map, welcome sign and name and date in the sand. I'm actually writing these in my travel diary so I don't forget them.

I like to buy things that are unique to the islands (and not Made in China!). It can be hard, but it can be done.

On St. Maarten pick up a bottle of Guavaberry Liqueur. Very yummy!

http://www.guavaberry.com/

And if you're a Star Wars fan you have to drop by the Yoda Guy in Philipsburg. Picked up a thing or two when I was there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147347-d2299951-Reviews-Yoda_Guy_Movie_Exhibit_at_Planet_Paradise-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Martin_St_M.html

I also like to get a shot of myself with my mom (my usual cruise companion) on the dock in front of the ship.

Archived