Hotels for Budapest & Prague

pier

We're planning a land vacation to Budapest, Vienna and Prague. These cities aren't cruise stops, but this great board has always been so helpful with recommendations for hotels where we've stayed on past cruises that I thought I'd ask if anyone can recommend hotels for these cities.

Thank you!

The first question people are going to ask is what price range are your looking for? Five star? Three star?

I won't make any suggestions because I was in Budapest in 1976 and Prague in 1998, so my info would be too far out of date.

But both are great cities. I'm sure you'll enjoy this trip very much. (When I was in Budapest, of course, it was a very different place -- the Soviet army was very much in evidence and the people were among the unhappiest I have ever seen.)

Mura

We loved the location and fabulous views of the Danube & Castle Hill on Buda side from the Intercontinental Hotel. Perfectly located for easy sightseeing and breathtaking views from our room. We paid the 25E upgrade to get a room facing the river and it was well worth it IMO. Wonderful buffet breakfast as well.:)

Lots of good suggestions on the River cruise forums

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

We stayed in Budapest at the Marriott Millennium Court apts ..great price & location

We stayed there as well in November and found it to be a great value. Perfect location as well. We stopped in at the Sofitel Chain Bridge and the Intercontinental, both on the river and very nice.

In Prague last year we stayed at the Barcelo Old Town Praha and very much enjoyed it. It is a small, boutique property in the heart of the old section, but on a quiet street. On a previous trip we stayed at Hilton Prague (there are two Hiltons) and it was not a convenient location and very much a convention hotel.

Our friends stayed at the Intercontinental Prague same trip and they enjoyed it.

We had private guides in both cities - if you are interested I am happy to share their info. Our guide in Prague was wonderful and we spent a day with her both visits to Prague.

We're planning a land vacation to Budapest, Vienna and Prague. These cities aren't cruise stops, but this great board has always been so helpful with recommendations for hotels where we've stayed on past cruises that I thought I'd ask if anyone can recommend hotels for these cities.

Thank you!

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Prague and in Budapest. We loved both hotels and both hotels were in a great location.

We stayed at the Le Meridien in Vienna. The hotel was nice and in a good location.

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Prague and in Budapest. We loved both hotels and both hotels were in a great location.

We stayed at the Le Meridien in Vienna. The hotel was nice and in a good location.

For Vienna we prefer the Bristol or Imperial for style, room size and location

We didalso loved the Four Seasons in both Prague and Budapest.

We like the Le Meridien in Budapest. If you have Amex Gold you can get upgraded if available. We were able to get a beautiful suite. It is very well located on the Pest side. We've also stayed at the Marriott Millenium Apartments which are a good deal but not as nice as the LeMeridien. It is a beautiful city with a lot to see.

Leaving on Viking from the Chain Bridge in October. I was leaning towards Sofitel since it looked walkable to the riverboat. Are any of the others very close? I saw a very good price for the Meridian, but it seemed a bit further from the river area.

I appreciate any input! Thanks,

Maureen

I second the Four Seasons in both cities!

Leaving on Viking from the Chain Bridge in October. I was leaning towards Sofitel since it looked walkable to the riverboat. Are any of the others very close? I saw a very good price for the Meridian, but it seemed a bit further from the river area.

We stayed at the Sofitel Chain Bridge (which we enjoyed) last spring. It was about 1.1km from the embarkation dock for the AMAlegro. However, we did not consider walking b/c of too much luggage (:rolleyes:) and also a lack of (or broken) sidewalks along the busy road fronting the river. If you are carrying vs wheeling luggage, it would be easier.

FYI it can be hard to know exactly where riverboats will dock, as there are several docks lining the riverside. Our ship was moored at the 'Mahart Passnave' which is a dock just south of the Elizabeth Bridge. AMA didn't give us an exact ship location but luckily we were out walking the morning of embarkation and saw the ship so we knew where to direct the taxi.

Also the Four Seasons in Budapest IS really nice, with 100+ year old art nouveau/Secessionist decor in the public spaces. We didn't stay there but walked through the lobby; lovely and in a great location.

Re Vienna, we stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth hotel in 2012; great location on a side street a few steps from the main pedestrian shopping arcade leading to the Cathedral. We enjoyed it.

I would suggest you go to Tripadvisor and look there. We are going to Prague after our next cruise and that's how I found our hotel. So many reviews you could take many hours to go through them all. We try to avoid chains (including high end ones) when in another country, so Tripadvisor is very helpful as everything is reviewed and rated.

These aren't at the level of the Four Seasons, but we stayed in two places in Prague that we liked very much.

One was the Arcadia Residence Apartments, which was just a couple of streets away from the Old Town Square. A nice breakfast in a charming courtyard. The owner was wonderful.

The other was the Hotel Monastery, in Strahov Monatery on the top of the hill somewhat near the Castle. A cute two-level room with the most wonderful shower ever! But up on top of the hill, so harder to get to Old Town Square, etc.

Stayed at the Grand Hotel Bohemia in Prague last year. Very good, nice rooms, good breakfast and convenient for restaurants and Old Town Square (5 min walk).

The Hilton Budapest is also very good but is at the top of a hill overlooking the Fisherman's Bastion. The hotel has a great view over the river and Parliament building. We needed to take the bus up the hill (inexpensive) but it is walkable.

Lou

Gee so many opinions --- so I will add mine.

Location - Location. I have been staying at the IHC (Intercontinental) in Prague since the late 1970's when it was the only hard currency ($$) hotel in the country. But it is the best located in the old town.

Vienna -- expensive is the word for anything on the Ring-Strasse. I spend at least 30 days per year in Wien. I generally stay at one of the Renaissance Hotels (my corporate rate is under 100 Eur) - one is right on a metro stop near Shoenbrunn and the other (Imperial Riding) in near the city center.

We stayed there as well in November and found it to be a great value. Perfect location as well. We stopped in at the Sofitel Chain Bridge and the Intercontinental, both on the river and very nice.

In Prague last year we stayed at the Barcelo Old Town Praha and very much enjoyed it. It is a small, boutique property in the heart of the old section, but on a quiet street. On a previous trip we stayed at Hilton Prague (there are two Hiltons) and it was not a convenient location and very much a convention hotel.

Our friends stayed at the Intercontinental Prague same trip and they enjoyed it.

We had private guides in both cities - if you are interested I am happy to share their info. Our guide in Prague was wonderful and we spent a day with her both visits to Prague.

WOW!!! This is such a great board! You have given us really good choices. Thank you.

caviargal: We'd appreciate your information on private guides.

caviargal: We'd appreciate your information on private guides.

For Prague, I highly recommend Andrea Řezníčková - Andrejka2002@seznam.cz

We spent 6 hours with her on our first visit to Prague and booked a half day with her last November. She is wonderful!

In Budapest we spent 6 hours with Andrea Makkay, http://www.privateguidebudapest.com. We had originally reserved a day with Gabriella Torok but she cancelled 2 weeks before we arrived. Andrea arranged for a driver and minivan as we were traveling with my mom, who was 81, and we wanted to cover a lot of ground. We were quite pleased.

Archived