Leaving sundries on board after cruise

mrsd912

Has anyone ever done this on purpose?

DH and I are going to be flying with only carry on luggage so we're planning on picking up things like sunscreen, shampoo and conditioner, liquid soap, etc., in Miami the night before our cruise. The thing is I know we won't use all of what we buy in a week and won't be able to bring it with us.

I know I can throw it away the morning we disembark but that seems awfully wasteful. Could we leave a note with the products for our steward that he or she can take them, or is that rude? If someone can use them, I'd rather that than throw the stuff away.

Any suggestions?

How would you feel if someone gave you their left over soap, toothpaste, etc. Think of the message you are sending. The message would be, you are not clean, here are some hygiene products for you because you need them more than us.

You are sooo terribly wrong. On Celebrity, Hal, RCCL and Carnival....we have asked EVERY single room steward. Every answer was...YES..YES...YES.

Do you see how much the sundries are in the shops on the ship? $14 for a small bottle of Aloe. Mouthwash ..insane...shampoo, conditioner, hairspray...shaving cream...ALL insane.

We have never had a room steward say no or look at us like we thought they were not clean.

How would you feel if someone gave you their left over soap, toothpaste, etc. Think of the message you are sending. The message would be, you are not clean, here are some hygiene products for you because you need them more than us.

That's exactly why I was asking in the first place. Jeez! Obviously I don't want to offend anyone or I wouldn't have bothered starting this thread.

Thank you everyone, I'll leave what we don't use in our cabin and if they want it they can have it, if not they can chuck it.

When we travel, all left over personal care products go into the wastebasket.

Darcy

We carry our own shampoo, etc. Whatever is left over we put them in the wastebasket, if we fly home. If it's back to our local port, and there is enough, we take them home. I buy $1.00 shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, q-tips, etc. (in the Dollar Store), so it's not a big loss of money to leave them.;)

Do you see how much the sundries are in the shops on the ship? $14 for a small bottle of Aloe. Mouthwash ..insane...shampoo, conditioner, hairspray...shaving cream...ALL insane.

Trust me, the staff does not buy their toiletries in the sundries shop onboard the ship, unless it's a true emergency. They wait until they have some time off in port and then do their shopping on shore. Lots of them go to Walmart or similar stores, so if you discover you need to do some of that kind of shopping during your cruise, your cabin attendant is most likely the perfect person to ask where to find it at the next port.

Trust me, the staff does not buy their toiletries in the sundries shop onboard the ship, unless it's a true emergency. They wait until they have some time off in port and then do their shopping on shore. Lots of them go to Walmart or similar stores, so if you discover you need to do some of that kind of shopping during your cruise, your cabin attendant is most likely the perfect person to ask where to find it at the next port.

Have been on DOZENS of cruises and I know where every store in port is, but thank you. Due to a bad sunburn....we needed aloe while at sea....saw that they wanted $14 for this small bottle..

I realize that they get their sundries in port...(not as dumb as I look), but a lot of these hard working people do not want to spend a penny if they do not have to.

We use small-sized bottles for shampoo and such, after several trips we are good at estimating how much is needed, and toss mostly empty bottles.

We leave highlighters, sticky paper, paper clips - can't make myself to toss them, but don't want to take home. Every quarter of an inch in the suitcases is needed for souvenirs :p

I would just leave them on the counter in the bathroom as well.

If they want any of the bottled stuff, they can have it. If not they will just toss it as well.

it not easy to find the travel size shampoos so I know your delinma. We don't care for the ships products and always bring our own.

If you have a Rite Aid Store near you, look for refillable tubes. I've always had the small bottles and jars that are refillable but I came across tubes into which I put my body cream, sunlotion..... other items that come in a tube. I transfer small quantities to these refillable tubes and they work great. I used to leave body lotion and such on the counter in our bathroom when we went home and now I don't need to waste it. The tubes are very moderately priced.

The other option is to use your usual product down to half or however much you think you'll need for your next trip and set it aside to use then. You won't be wasting much if you leave the tail end of it behind when you go home.

OP...... I would leave whatever you have left on the counter. No note. If the steward wants or can use it, she/he will remove it when cleaning.

In all honesty the best thing to do is ask your cabin steward the first day out what you should do with the left over products. Explain that you are flying and that the liquid products will be hassle to transport, but you don't want to waste the items by just throwing them out and that you don't want them sent to lost and found as forgotten items since you will not be looking for them either. That avoids the impersonal note and the risk of offending the crew member, plus if they personally don't want the items it gives them time to ask their fellow crew if they would.

You are sooo terribly wrong. On Celebrity, Hal, RCCL and Carnival....we have asked EVERY single room steward. Every answer was...YES..YES...YES.

We have never had a room steward say no or look at us like we thought they were not clean.

So the obvious answer is to simply leave them on the counter. - no note, no asking. If the steward wants the items, he/ she can take them -- but might not want ti fish them out of the waste basket.

I think the OP was just trying to be nice as in waste not, want not !! Hate she got jumped on.

I have several small travel bottles that I transfer out of the big bottles at home. I understand you can't do that, due to flying, so I would leave on counter with a note. I would think that the people who work on the ship know the value of a dollar and would do, what I and the OP, think is the appropriate thing. JMHO so please don't flame me. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Happy Cruising to all. I am on the Magic March 24th for spring break :D

We always use "travel sized" refillable bottles for our toiletries, which works out well. But once, I got to our departure port without the little bottle of Woolite that I always bring, to wash out our bathing suits. On the way to the ship, we stopped at K-mart. They only had Woolite in large bottles -- but the price was OK. After a week of rinsing out bathing suits (and sundry other items), I hadn't managed to put a dent in that huge bottle. Since I had no intention of dragging it home with me, I just left it on the bathroom counter, with a sticky note that read: "free to a good home". ;)

I know in Miami there is a CVS drug store across the street from the Bayside Marketplace on Biscayne Blvd that has a large travel size section of toiletries.....

We bring some things, but the shampoo and the bar and liquid soap that the ship provides is fine with us.

And the opportunities to offend someone just keep growing! Seriously? Man, this avoiding offending people if taking up a lot of time.

Just leave whatever you don't want in the bathroom, they will happily toss it for you.

I agree. One can get a headache trying to overthink everything we do in life these days. There is always someone out there ready to point a finger that you offended them because you wore a blue shirt that day. Use good intentions, use the good manners our mama taught us and common sense. You won't go all wrong. You will please most of the people, most of the time. You'll never please everyone the things are these days.

If you leave the products neatly on the counter, be sure the outside of the tubes/bottles are clean..... what could be offensive?

We usually buy travel size items, except for lotion and suntan lotion, and most of everything is gone by the end of the cruise, so we don't feel bad in chucking it at the end. We also take a small first aid/medicine kit, just in case as the OTC medical items onboard are overpriced.

Archived