Holds on Credit Cards

"Just be glad you are not going on HAL. They get an upfront hold of $60.00 per day per person or require that much cash to be put on the account. They have decided that is the average per diem spending of their passengers. So, for a 15 day Hawaii cruise for my family of 3 they got a $2700 authorization on my Mastercard. It stayed on there the entire trip and reduced the credit line by that amount. Not a big deal since I have high credit limits, but it could be devastating for others leaving them no credit. Actual onboard spending was only $600 total for the 3 of us as shore excursions and gratuities had been pre-paid."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1797985

Has anyone had recent experience with HAL, or other cruise lines, putting such a large upfront hold on their credit cards?

I had also heard this about HAL. We did a Med. cruise on the Westerdam in May 2010 and this did not happen, but friends did basically the same cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August 2011 and reported that there was a "hold" put on their credit card. I would not be happy to have this happen.

Not sure whether any other cruise lines are doing it - but would be interested to find out.

I must admit.....and here is my opinion ...and somewhat an intolerance of people complaining about certain things and one of my peeves is complaints about credit card holds.

Holds on your credit card have existed for well over 15 years. In all the years I have been travelling. It is not the exception. Nearly every 4 or 5 star hotel have done it to over things like mini bar use, room service or even the room itself. Even car hire companies do it. What...people think someone is going to hand over a $30,000 car on the promise you will return it???

But people still post things like..."I was shocked, it left me short of funds...I will never stay at that hotel (or wherever) again"

$60 a day is not a lot....I have had hotels charge $500 hold for a single night (room price plus possible use of other facilities). What a well researched traveller does is ensure there is sufficient credit limit to do something like is ( or run2 credit cards).

I must admit.....and here is my opinion ...and somewhat an intolerance of people complaining about certain things and one of my peeves is complaints about credit card holds.

Holds on your credit card have existed for well over 15 years. In all the years I have been travelling. It is not the exception. Nearly every 4 or 5 star hotel have done it to over things like mini bar use, room service or even the room itself. Even car hire companies do it. What...people think someone is going to hand over a $30,000 car on the promise you will return it???

But people still post things like..."I was shocked, it left me short of funds...I will never stay at that hotel (or wherever) again"

$60 a day is not a lot....I have had hotels charge $500 hold for a single night (room price plus possible use of other facilities). What a well researched traveller does is ensure there is sufficient credit limit to do something like is ( or run2 credit cards).

I couldnt disagree more! I have experienced problems with hotels putting "holds" on my CC even when I have prepaid the accommodation.

One hotel in Europe put a hold on my entire 4 days accommodation cost which wasnt released for over a week, after I checked out and paid again ( despite repeated phone calls, emails etc) This effectively meant that TWICE my accommodation cost was debited from my account.

This was compounded by the fact that I was using a Travel visa card , which I had loaded with Euros to cover all my accommodation and other costs . Needless to say I was eventually forced to use another Credit card( and the extra conversion charges) to cover later accommodation . I subsequently returned home with unused Euros.

Unfortunately they dont regard the " hold" amount as part of your payment , so it is not deducted from your final account. You have to pay in full and wait untill it is eventually released. By then you are often home!

Basically this means that anyone travelling needs to budget far in excess of what they might need. For some people this can be difficult , particularly if they are on a tight budget and it is the first time they have travelled.

I think that Cruise lines (and hotels) have a responsibility to highlight their "hold" conditions so people are prepared

I think HAL's the standout. They've done it for quite a while too, as long as I recall.

The issue with HAL is it's by number of passengers, by number of days, and it's a fairly high amount.

No issue with cars or hotels, I haven't heard of holds from them anywhere near HAL.

e.g. $60 x 4 x 14 = $3360 for a two week cruise for a family of 4. That's a big sum, especially if your real planned onboard spending is nowhere near that amount.

I dont like the new method. P&O UK do it and it is double dipping.

I can take authorisations from hotels but P&O UK take an authorisation for daily spend every evening then charge it on the final day. So at the end of the cruise you are left with authorisations draining your limit as well as the final balance and the authorisations wont drop off for a few days or up to a week or more.

I dont like the new method. P&O UK do it and it is double dipping.

I can take authorisations from hotels but P&O UK take an authorisation for daily spend every evening then charge it on the final day. So at the end of the cruise you are left with authorisations draining your limit as well as the final balance and the authorisations wont drop off for a few days or up to a week or more.

Sutho, so do you know how much 'hold' Celebrity puts on one's credit card per diem?

I might have to double my CC limit for the next couple of weeks. LOL. Although our Shorex are pre paid and we are merely moderate consumers of the demon drink. No booze before 5pm. Them's the rules.

Les, we have 3 cruises coming up in the states, all different lines. Because of this hold, we decided to get 3 credit cards....which is really 'funny' for us that always prefer to pay cash. We were told that the hold (time of hold) is placed by the bank, under instructions from cruise line, accom etc, and can be on hold for up to 30 days. Wow! We just couldn't risk being without a cc for emergencies etc. We opted for 3 cards, rather than up the limit on just one. Seemed a safer way when one is so far from home.

I never dreamed of applying for credit cards after retirement!

There is no point in "crying a river" over this. No point is arguing what "should" or "shouldn't " happen. The only important point is to fully understand what happens - and then deal with it.

I have a friend who didn't have a Credit Card - and said he didn't need one as he would pay his overseas hotel bills by cash, in advance!!!. Sorry, I said - that won't work. Could not convince him that he would not be able to do that, to even book a hotel room and that he needed a CC. And if you are going away for some time, you had better make sure it has a good limit!! :)

More info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

Barry

I have a credit card but it doesn't have a huge limit. However, I always take cash with me as well. And soon as I board I put cash on my account. It eliminates any holds.

Princess did put a hold on my cc on the first day, but once I put cash into my onboard account they placed no more holds. It took about a week for the hold to clear.

There is no point in "crying a river" over this. No point is arguing what "should" or "shouldn't " happen. The only important point is to fully understand what happens - and then deal with it.

I have a friend who didn't have a Credit Card - and said he didn't need one as he would pay his overseas hotel bills by cash, in advance!!!. Sorry, I said - that won't work. Could not convince him that he would not be able to do that, to even book a hotel room and that he needed a CC. And if you are going away for some time, you had better make sure it has a good limit!! :)

More info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold

Barry

Bazzaw, icat and bobsv, we have 3 cards as well and take cash, no fear of 'crying in the river' Barry. When you go O/S you got to go loaded with the oxford scholars. We always underspend anyway. Last year we were away 3 months, 7 weeks on Arcadia, Aus to UK, then UK, then USA. Had to get the CC's retreaded when we got home. LOL.

Not sure what Celebrity charge per day in authorisations but I have covered myself by pre-paid drinks package. Hopefully no onboard spend for me. All things are prepaid.

I also have different credit cards and like to keep all paid off. Its a pain deciding which one to use as when I travel I rotate cards to enable final bill paid at home on time. Having a few means you have to have some with low limits.

For argument sake I wont say all or how many I have but when I go on a cruise I use my lowest limit card. This is a security precaution as if it is lost or stolen then I am still safe to use a higher limit card. The lower limit card is less of a concern to carry around ashore for purchases. Keep the higher limit card locked up in the safe.

The other reason it bothers me is that I keep a spreadsheet and type in all daily spending on my card and download daily spend from the bank to match. If the numers do not add up then I know to report if a transaction is fraudulent. The authorisations confuse this matter greatly as all you see is pending transaction.

We have been on 2 Celebrity Solstice cruises this season and from what I could work out they put a hold on our CC for the amount we spent each day.

The charge was then put through onto our card at the end of the cruise.

I had no problems with that but I was a bit puzzled by it when I checked my CC account whilst on the ship.

I have never had any trouble with the holds put on credit cards...its what they do when you go on a cruise.

If I thought it was going to be a worry, a simple phone call to the bank outlining what is intended would see them increase the limit, if only for the length of the hold on your card.

If your card is going to be charged in another country , they in fact ask you to ring them and let them know.

I always advise the bank of my travel plans and it is duly noted.

IIf I thought it was going to be a worry, a simple phone call to the bank outlining what is intended would see them increase the limit, if only for the length of the hold on your card.

It depends on the bank. Not all – most don’t afaik – do that.

If I thought it was going to be a worry, a simple phone call to the bank outlining what is intended would see them increase the limit, if only for the length of the hold on your card.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple, David, especially if you are a retired woman. I have a 28 Degrees cc, with a low limit, which I've tried to increase on a number of occasions, without success. (I pay my cc in full.) Fortunately, I have another cc, but it charges fees.

6andy6 - I have travelled all my adult life and haven't had trouble with holds on my cc previously. It may have been because I had a higher cc limit, so I didn't notice. Like many Australians, I combine land travel with overseas cruises and $60US per day x number of days cruise is a lot of money for me to have on hold, when I want to use that money for holds, such as car hire, straight after the cruise. (BTW My cc bills are paid in full, when due.)

And remember when you go overseas, inform your bank ! So as they are alert to 'strange' transactions on your card, might not always be you. I already told my bank, Celebrity Cruises would be 'working on my CC' plus giving the card a hit in NZ in the next few weeks.

Archived