CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

The only thing they are missing is 2 sea days and they still can enjoy St Marten until flying home. Then transferred to port if needed. What's your problem with that?

No, the Olive Garden in St. Maarten was serving up Salmonella laced food. Carnival won't allow anyone back on the ship that ate there. The passengers without their passports are now stuck eating Olive Garden food through the weekend until they get special clearance from Customs.

Salmonella AND a broken ship...What are the odds?

Charter flights are not exempt from customs rules, and they're no longer on a close loop cruise. They'd be required to have passports, and CCL is going to have to work that out before they can fly those people home.

Apparently it has been worked out and Carnival is flying everyone home.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to assume that CBP is incapable of recognizing exigent circumstances and providing special handling as necessary.

That is why, reasonable people need to see between the two sides and see where the TRUTH is...

I wouldn't trust any company to not slant the story to what fits their needs.

Just like the news media has to blow things out of proportion to make it entertaining and get ratings.

Anybody who thought that CNN's coverage of the Triumph was anywhere near unbiased, I have a swampy plot of land to sell you cheap.

At least this time, CNN seems to have realized that there won't be enough ridiculouly overblown stories to play up and seem to have gotten bored.

Bill

Yet, some are already trying to make CNN the enemy.

Now I wonder if it's time to change the Triumph stickie to a Dream stickie, or just keep the name blank for future use.

The only thing they are missing is 2 sea days and they still can enjoy St Marten until flying home. Then transferred to port if needed. What's your problem with that?

You can leave me stranded in St. Maarten for 2 days. Yes please!

I think it is just like when the warranty expires on your car it starts to break down. Maybe they need to look at getting an extended warranty. :D

Or ask Japan or Korea how they do it.

I have one of each, one 6 years old and the other 10. Neither have had a mechanical problem (Of course I do proper maintenance).

I don't read the other boards, so, I qualified the statement by saying "(at least)".

OTOH, Carnival sure makes the headline news MUCH more than Royal or NCL, doesn't it? LOL!

That is for sure true....:D

Laid up at home today with my back, this thread is keeping me throughly entertained.

Bill

I am very surprised that CCl has just announced only a partial refund for guests currently on the Carnival Dream in St Maarten.

The guests are going to have an difficult time getting back to Port Canaveral and I think we are looking at a growing outrage.

Carnival is flying them back on chartered planes. What is difficult about that? If they have cars at the port, they will get transported to the port, if they have flights to catch, they will already be at MCO.

Between the Triumph and now this, I'm wondering if CCL might change their policies.

I am under the impression (I may be totally wrong) that the reason pax on the Triumph were stuck on that ship as it was pulled all the way to Mobile, was because taking the ship to Mexico (closer) would have caused a logistical nightmare, getting people with no passports home.

I don't know how accurate that statment is....just repeating somethign I heard.

Now I wonder if it's time to change the Triumph stickie to a Dream stickie, or just keep the name blank for future use.

Ok, that cracked me up.

Nope. Carnival and Costa are pretty even as #2 behind Misc. Even Princess appears to have more mishaps than RCI.

One of us must be color blind. Perhaps it's me but I see it like this:

Orange - #1 by a long shot - Misc Ships

Gold - #2 - Royal

Red - #3 - Carnival

Silver/White - #4 - P&O

Purple - #5 - Princess

Also, I know they are flying people home but what happens to people that do not have passports? For example, some people do not have passports because they are legal residents of the U.S. and have not obtained U.S. Citizenship. Some passport issues are much more complicating then someone not having a passport because they were too lazy to go and get one.

huh?.. Orlando is Port Canaveral lol. Orlando is land locked but is the closest big city/ airport so it is referred to as being Port Canaveral/Orlando.

Orlando has a air port not a ship port - they are 45 miles apart. :D

A closed loop cruise according to CBP:

A “closed loop” voyage or itinerary occurs when a vessel departs from a U.S. port or place and returns to the same U.S. port upon completion of the voyage. Travelers on “closed loop” voyages are not subject to the same documentary requirements for entry to the United States as other travelers.

There will definitely be a price drop because so many investors are going to be dumping the stock. Remember....the Concordia lawsuits are not even settled yet.....:)

Buy low - sell high, the lows are coming and Carnival will rebound.

Now back to the ball game.

I have noticed some of the same people who do not sail with Carnival but still want to put in their negative 2 cents worth are showing up here again. If you have no dog in the right why are you here except to stir up trouble?

It's a message board. No one here is actually cruising.

Just because some no longer watch Bugs Bunny, some will always join in a conversation about Looney Tunes.

Yes, stuff happens and yes, stuff like this can happen to any cruise ship. The thing is, how many times can that minimization be said before someone says, "wait, I'm saying this alot about CCL mishaps lately." There is nothing wrong with remaining faithful to a favorite line, but at least be honest about their plague of problems lately.

Exactly.

Yet, some are already trying to make CNN the enemy.

I have to say, I was stunned that CNN let the WREG reporter, who clearly was not going to blow things out of proportion, keep calling back in and putting him on the air.

Kudos to them for actually letting him speak and probably why CNN seems to have gotten bored with the Dream story already.

Realizing a story about flying people home, to avoid another Triumph just isn't ratings worthy coverage.

Bill

Hi all!

Finally made it through the 30 pages!!!

I'm so sorry for the people who had their cruise cut short & especially for those looking forward to the March 16, now cancelled cruise.

I'm going on my 1st Carnival cruise (23rd cruise) on the Dream on April 13 if it's fixed by then. After the Triumph problem I thought we'll be okay as the Dream is a much newer ship. I wonder if my 1st time cruiser will still want to sail.:o

Fingers crossed it won't take too long to repair.

~ Jo ~ :)

What would you recommend Carnival do?

Archived