I am Jumping Ship to Oceania

mamaofami

What Deters me from Oceania, (which we are very interested in)

-The no hot room service breakfast (not sure about other times) unless you are in a suite.'

- Reports of specialty dining reservation being kind of hard to get unless you are in a suite

:(

I've just checked with O and there is 24/7 room service and I'm not in a suite.

As far as the specialty restaurants being hard to book, I can't answer that and wonder if someone else can tell me if this is true.

As far as the specialty restaurants being hard to book, I can't answer that and wonder if someone else can tell me if this is true.

It is my understanding that a hot breakfast is not offered- that the suite's have a diff menu. This is from my reading on CC.

As far as the specialty rest. go, it has been my understanding that there are very limited reservations when one is not in a suite. That is just from my reading here on CC as well.

What i just read again fro the Oceania board.

"The food hierarchy is as follows -- During dinner serving hours, Suite passengers (Owners, Vista and Penthouse) may order from any menu, whether it be the standard room service menu, Polo or Toscana Menu, or main dining room menu. All other cabins may order only from the room service menu.

At breakfast, all suites, plus all concierge (categories A1, A2, A3) may order from an expanded hot breakfast menu. All other cabins order breakfast from the Continental Breakfast menu.

At all other times, all of the cabins may order from the standard room service menu.

The hot breakfast menu was only recently (in the last year or so) extended to the concierge cabins, after they lost some other exclusive perks -- for example, all cabins received hand held hair dryers and DVD players, which used to be exclusive to Concierge and above"

from a post on Oceania board.

Carol, assuming you're in a suite, there is a hot breakfast for room service...and restaurants will be easy to book...at least that's what I've read, too.

Not available to the inside cabins, outside cabins, and lower priced balcony cabins.

I read that post that, yes, there is room service 24/7 but HOT breakfast is only available in suites. Same on Princess. We had a balcony on Princess (the one time we sailed her in '06) but in order to have a hot breakfast, one had to be in a MiniSuite or higher. We were only entitled to a Continental Breakfast.

You're probably going to get more accurate answers on the Oceania board. This is akin to asking on the Oceania board questions about HAL!

It is my understanding that a hot breakfast is not offered- that the suite's have a diff menu. This is from my reading on CC.

As far as the specialty rest. go, it has been my understanding that there are very limited reservations when one is not in a suite. That is just from my reading here on CC as well.

What i just read again fro the Oceania board.

"The food hierarchy is as follows -- During dinner serving hours, Suite passengers (Owners, Vista and Penthouse) may order from any menu, whether it be the standard room service menu, Polo or Toscana Menu, or main dining room menu. All other cabins may order only from the room service menu.

At breakfast, all suites, plus all concierge (categories A1, A2, A3) may order from an expanded hot breakfast menu. All other cabins order breakfast from the Continental Breakfast menu.

At all other times, all of the cabins may order from the standard room service menu.

The hot breakfast menu was only recently (in the last year or so) extended to the concierge cabins, after they lost some other exclusive perks -- for example, all cabins received hand held hair dryers and DVD players, which used to be exclusive to Concierge and above"

from a post on Oceania board.

Good information to have...I posted the above before I saw your post!

Last year I registerd at the Oceana Web Page because they offered an itinerary I was interested in. Big Mistake because since then I have been flooded with brochures twice a week. Some of the large ones are beautiful...I am surprised they still send them.

I have called Oceana twice and asked them to please STOP sending them as they go in the trash, and I do know how to find them on their web site. Brochures come in my name and in my husband's name. The Oceana agents...who have been pleasant to talk to...surmise that we get them because we are 4 star with HAL.

I must admit the itineraries on Oceana look inviting, but we are booked with HAL for this year. All the other cruise lines we have sailed have gone out of business.:(

Karen

Last year I registerd at the Oceana Web Page because they offered an itinerary I was interested in. Big Mistake because since then I have been flooded with brochures twice a week. Some of the large ones are beautiful...I am surprised they still send them.

I have called Oceana twice and asked them to please STOP sending them as they go in the trash, and I do know how to find them on their web site. Brochures come in my name and in my husband's name. The Oceana agents...who have been pleasant to talk to...surmise that we get them because we are 4 star with HAL.

I must admit the itineraries on Oceana look inviting, but we are booked with HAL for this year. All the other cruise lines we have sailed have gone out of business.:(

Karen

Seriously!

We NEVER get anything from HAL, prob because we always have a cruise booked.

2-3 times a week, lovely brochures from Oceania!

But I need a bathtub, (and a sofa) and I do not want to give up hot room service or room service from MDR.

If I get all that on HAL its hard to spend more to get it on Princess or Oceania. It feels so standard to me, HAL has spoiled us to cruising in standard cabins on other lines. (Unless it is a 3-4 day getaway, then we will do whats cheap).

I know that Oceania is lovely, but diff things matter to diff people.

Now, we will do Oceania on a TA when we can leave (the time of year is so hard and DH can not leave for that long) and can afford the Oceania Suite LOL. Then it really won't matter!

Until then Its HAL in a standard VD cabin with Cabana's on the ship (no more suites for so many reasons) or NCL in a Haven Suite.

We, too are jumping ship to Oceania next year. We're taking our 3d HAL cruise in 8 weeks, but have booked 2 cruises with O next year...both TAs.

One is Miami to Barcelona in the spring, the other is Lisbon to Rio in the fall.

I liked the itineraries, and thought trying a TA (or 2!) sounded like fun. We also booked direct with O, which we don't usually do. Our travel agent has never given us any perks so I felt it would be worth it to try direct, and our O agent has given us what seems like good advice. Booking early got us our gratuities included. I cannot wait to hear how Ruth and Carol enjoy their trips this fall.

TA's are great - we love them - but they need to have nice itineraries attached. I get Oceania brochures all the time and have considered trying them but their TA itineraries (for someone who has done some) are boring.

The Prinsendam had a superior itinerary for us so we stuck with her for the next cruise.

I'm still checking out Oceania though. And if they have some intriguing itinerary I would definitely try them

i still like HAL but enjoy Oceania very much! This is the first time in 7 years I did not cruise HAL, was turned off by recent cutbacks in food quality and stateroom upkeep etc. Went on Oceania and Crystal with another Crystal TA booked for later this year.

Oceania O class ships are very HAL like but cuisine and service FAR superior,

I think Carol and Ruth will be extremely happy with their decision to "jump ship".

I may return to HAL again someday but am enjoying Oceania and Crystal and the price increase feels completely justified to me.

ENJOY!!!!

TA's are great - we love them - but they need to have nice itineraries attached. I get Oceania brochures all the time and have considered trying them but their TA itineraries (for someone who has done some) are boring.

The Prinsendam had a superior itinerary for us so we stuck with her for the next cruise.

I'm still checking out Oceania though. And if they have some intriguing itinerary I would definitely try them

If I were going to do an upscale cruise line, I think I'd try Crystal or Seabourn. I looked at this TA itinerary and it's a lot to spend to travel to Europe only to do four ports.

Instead, I'm looking at the NA Collectors Cruise from Barcelona for a lot less $$$.

i still like HAL but enjoy Oceania very much! This is the first time in 7 years I did not cruise HAL, was turned off by recent cutbacks in food quality and stateroom upkeep etc. Went on Oceania and Crystal with another Crystal TA booked for later this year.

Oceania O class ships are very HAL like but cuisine and service FAR superior,

I think Carol and Ruth will be extremely happy with their decision to "jump ship".

I may return to HAL again someday but am enjoying Oceania and Crystal and the price increase feels completely justified to me.

ENJOY!!!!

I think they will LOVE it, I am sure of it.

I am thinking, you ladies must have a ton of enegry, as I could not keep up with most of Oceania's schedules! My DH prob could but no way, not me. The 7 night from San Juan was perfect until I saw they had only one sea day! Wowzer!

I am thinking, you ladies must have a ton of enegry, as I could not keep up with most of Oceania's schedules! My DH prob could but no way, not me. The 7 night from San Juan was perfect until I saw they had only one sea day! Wowzer!

Nothing says you have to get off the ship at a port. Stay on, relax and enjoy a day of quiet and rest.

We, on the other hand, would be delighted with only one sea day in seven. We're destination cruisers, we cruise to go different places. Yes the ship and it's accompanying aspects, like service, food, and overall ambience are important but we look for itinerary first ship second. Our Med cruise last year was only two sea days out of 14 days and we thoroughly enjoyed it. For us it was a "wowzer", in a very positive sense. That's what's so great about cruising though, there really is a lot of wonderful variety from slow lazy days just cruising along to waking up every morning in some new and hopefully wonderful port. :D

Nothing says you have to get off the ship at a port. Stay on' date=' relax and enjoy a day of quiet and rest.[/quote']

Geeze I wish! DH would NOT let that happen! he woulod be livid that I wouldnt get off my booty.

Now its another story when you can't get off. :)

Its a forced day of rest.

He can not sit still, but of course I can.

Geeze I wish! DH would NOT let that happen! he woulod be livid that I wouldnt get off my booty.

Sorry about that. DH and I occasionally want to do different excursions in port or one of us wants to do nothing (always me) and that is fine. Being on a cruise is a vacation for both of us together and for each of us. He may want to snorkel and I may want to lounge at the pool one day. Works for us and it's only a couple of hours which can be a good idea anyway to have some alone time. I can't imagine always having to do what someone else wants to do. Hopefully sometimes a day's activity is your choice.

Sorry about that. DH and I occasionally want to do different excursions in port or one of us wants to do nothing (always me) and that is fine. Being on a cruise is a vacation for both of us together and for each of us. He may want to snorkel and I may want to lounge at the pool one day. Works for us and it's only a couple of hours which can be a good idea anyway to have some alone time. I can't imagine always having to do what someone else wants to do. Hopefully sometimes a day's activity is your choice.

Haha! The laying around doing nothing and relaxing, having a drink in the sun and reading is my best day ever. LOL!

His is doing something, anything, and on a cruise we do both (thank God)

But if we had 6 ports he would have to see every single one. i don't bame him. :)

DH and I often stay aboard in ports and sometimes we only get off to take a walk and maybe have lunch.

That's what vacation is all about, IMO

Do what you want. Do as little or as much as suits each.

Last year we too got a seductively priced brochure for at TA from Oceania (their larger ship). However, it appeared (was not able to confirm) that ship did not have a covered Lido, and we knew from an Alaska cruise how much we liked having a "sun room" at sea when the weather got stormy or cold, which is what TA's can be all about. Does any one know if this is true - no covered Lido sun room area? Even our tatty old MV Discovery had a covered sun deck.

Plus Oceania did seem a lot more about dining (with what appeared to be interior, limited-view dining rooms, not like the wonderful full floor windows in the smaller HAL ships) so that believe it or not was starting to look like a negative too.

Having done a recent Crystal Cruise we realized paying premium for a better dining experience is almost a liability for us, than an enjoyment, so that dropped it down a notch as an Oceania value added.

(Hard to believe, but if one is going to pay extra to get premium dining, one had better enjoy taking advantage of that perk. And at out age, we now know we can only eat so much -- Hal dining has been more than enough for us and we would rather pay for a premium meal onshore than get them 24/7 on the ship.)

Then when DH actually did call about a reservation, there were no cabins left at the price listed in the brochure, but we could get one about $3000 more. Nope sorry, deal done.

So for the heck of I then looked up HAL TA's going about the same time and came across a fabulous 22 day TA on the Maasdam with several overnight stops along the way and places we had dreamed about going, plus those long wonderful sea days too. So off we went on HAL again.

We never looked back at Oceania after that experience, but they were presenting a perfectly good alternative to all of us who love the smaller ships.

But for now, we will take a pass and stick to our tried, true and familiar HAL. Though I suspect we will do less cruising now that we have done several, almost back to back sweeps across of large parts of the globe and now will enjoy enjoy fewer, but more boutique cruises like the Prinsendam has to offer. If Oceania has the itineraries and the price, I can see this is a worth option so I too will be looking at the reports coming back.

Small ships, God love them .. no matter what company. so the Island Sky and Tristan de Cuhna is still calling my name.......

As for Crystal (2X), I do like HAL cabin size layout over Crystal, service personnel much better on HAL, entertainment similar, enrichment lectures much better on HAL, shore excursions much better on HAL, public room decor much better on Crystal, breads and breakfasts far superior on HAL, specialty restaurants good on both, itineraries much better on HAL.

Overall, HAL for value and depth, but Crystal wins hands down for being a very pretty ship.

We are HAL people but tried Azamara once. It was a pretty good price but we did not think it was that much better than HAL. They had comp wine on AZ and we do not enjoy it so it was not that great. Hope you enjoy Oceania!

Nothing says you have to get off the ship at a port. Stay on' date=' relax and enjoy a day of quiet and rest.[/quote']

Precisely. There are many times I don't leave the ship at all, and others when I leave for a 1/2 shore excursion at most.

I just don't have the energy I used to, and it's all about the ship now---even more than in years past.

Now I am sure I will be back on HAL. After all, I have a Collectors cruise booked with HAL for April '14, and another FCD to spend. Just waiting for the itineraries post April '14 to come out.

Since I made that post the "from" price is still 2,249; the actual bookable price has decreased from 3,949 to 3,749 but is still a FAR cry from 2,249. I have encountered the same thing pretty much any time I've looked at a cruise with them and stand by my "bait and switch" comment. In addition to that there is the limited public deck space and the lack of a decent promenade deck.

Thank you for answering, Roy.

Personally, I'm not concerned if there's no complete promenade deck, so long as there is outdoor space, in the shade, where I can sit.

This time I have a balcony cabin, on starboard, so that requirement is met.

The inability to book cabins at the lowest "from" price is more substantial, certainly. I know the ships have fewer low-price cabins than HAL ships so, partly because they are smaller ships, partly because they have more balcony cabins for the size.

I do know that the more vested one is in Oceania, the better the chances of pre-booking cabins before they are made available to the general public. Is that "bait & switch", or is that rewarding faithful passengers? Someone is getting those "from" rates.

Thanks- I actually spent a long time at the Oceania site last night... There are a few cruises that would not break the bank for me if I stepped down in cabin class. Looks gorgeous and I am going to try to fit one in in October. Fingers crossed.

Archived