I am Jumping Ship to Oceania

mamaofami

Do you think they have gourmet "meat loaf" in Oceania's MDR? But seriously, its fun to read this thread and see the ire of the usual "Cheerleaders." Every cruise line seems to attract Cheerleaders here in CC and they always make me smile. As one who has cruised on 14 different cruise lines (and enjoyed them all) we have never understood the single line cheerleaders...but they do make this forum interesting. Those folks are kind of like the guy that thought that his old Volkswagon bug was the most powerful luxurious car on earth. But it turned out he had never been in any other car.

Hank

Do you think they have gourmet "meat loaf" in Oceania's MDR? But seriously, its fun to read this thread and see the ire of the usual "Cheerleaders." Every cruise line seems to attract Cheerleaders here in CC and they always make me smile. As one who has cruised on 14 different cruise lines (and enjoyed them all) we have never understood the single line cheerleaders...but they do make this forum interesting. Those folks are kind of like the guy that thought that his old Volkswagon bug was the most powerful luxurious car on earth. But it turned out he had never been in any other car.

Hank

LOL. My favorite cheerleader line of all time is "the stewards and crew are so friendly when you see them around the ship you have to look at them smiling at you and you don't look down and see the torn and worn carpet"! Not an exact quote but close. Is it not possible most pax would like to have a great crew and fresh carpet?

Runnerup is probably about the food being better on Oceania, which might be true, but how much can you eat anyway.

LOL. My favorite cheerleader line of all time is "the stewards and crew are so friendly when you see them around the ship you have to look at them smiling at you and you don't look down and see the torn and worn carpet"! Not an exact quote but close. Is it not possible most pax would like to have a great crew and fresh carpet?

Runnerup is probably about the food being better on Oceania' date=' which might be true, but how much can you eat anyway.[/quote']

Why thank you. I spoke from the heart. Sorry if you thought it was worthy of the Sneer Award. :cool:

No, I don't think it is possible to have fresh carpet 100% of the time for every single cruise. So these small things that seem to fatally irritate others, do get a pass as long as the over all atmosphere continues to sparkle as it has for us on HAL ships - with a few threadbare stair treads and all.

And yes, I also said you can only eat so much food. So it looks like a sweep for Swiss. But then we always have been a frugal lot. Does that get me a bronze? :p BTW: if you follow all my posts you find I calls 'em as I sees 'em and have posted vinegar as well as sweet.

Uncle.

I am convinced. HAL has the best ships, the best staff, the best food, the best service, the best staff, the best entertainment...well the absolute best of everything of any cruise line out there.

Not only that, I am convinced that HAL is definately a superior cruise line, well above those other riff raff cruise lines like Princess and Celebrity. HAL is a 'classy' line whose ships are home to 'classy', well educated, well spoken, well traveled, discerning folks who know that this is the only cruise line that can provide this level of quiet elegance.

It sometimes surprises me how all those other cruise lines can fill their ships. Not certain if it is the ships or if the folks on those other ships either don't know any better or really just don't 'belong' on a HAL ship.

Uncle.

I am convinced. HAL has the best ships, the best staff, the best food, the best service, the best staff, the best entertainment...well the absolute best of everything of any cruise line out there.

Not only that, I am convinced that HAL is definately a superior cruise line, well above those other riff raff cruise lines like Princess and Celebrity. HAL is a 'classy' line whose ships are home to 'classy', well educated, well spoken, well traveled, discerning folks who know that this is the only cruise line that can provide this level of quiet elegance.

It sometimes surprises me how all those other cruise lines can fill their ships. Not certain if it is the ships or if the folks on those other ships either don't know any better or really just don't 'belong' on a HAL ship.

Love this!!!

Uncle.

LOL. So would you say you are a "cheerleader" for HA :). Having recently spent 76 days on HA cruises and 39 days on Celebrity (this is just in the past year) we can attest that Celebrity has more then their share of classy well traveled, well spoken, discerning folks (because we were there :). And I will also tell you some facts about those cruises that causes this HA fan some concern. On Celebrity the food was far better then on HA, the entertainment was better, the service was at least equal and even better then HA in some venues, the Alternative restaurants were much better, the smoking policy was far better, the ship (Silhouette) was nicer then most HA ships, and Celebrity really knows how to treat their frequent cruisers (Elite) vs what HA does for 4 and 5 Star Mariners.

Yes, once in a while HA gives me a Medallion (I think DW tossed them in the trash) or a Pin, but Celebrity gives me a 2 hour free daily cocktail party (with hot and cold hors d'oevres), a free daily Elite continental breakfast where we can get unlimited drinks such as cappuccino, bloody marys, champagne, mimosas, etc. In addition, Celebrity gives us a reasonable amount of free internet time. On our last 62 day HA Grand Cruise we did manage to get 2 cocktail parties (one in Capt. Gundersen's cabin). Oh my! I almost forgot that HA does give us a free lunch :)

So, if you want to start doing a comparison between HA and Celebrity we could go into even more detail...and the comparison does not bode well for our beloved HA. That being said, and let me be very clear about this, we still enjoy HA (have already booked 49 HA days for 2013). But we would not "trash" the passengers on other lines because this would certainly show a lack of "class."

Hank

Celebrity Elite benefits:

Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration Event

Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items

One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing‡

One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at a discounted price of $20 on all Celebrity cruises of 12 nights or longer

Complimentary dry cleaning of 1 garment item

Complimentary 90 minute Internet package (can be applied towards a larger Internet package; some restrictions apply)

Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party)

Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice, while the ship is in port)

Priority embarkation while boarding the ship (where available)

Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event

Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist

Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party

Access to the private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation

Priority tender service status

Priority waitlist status for dining room seating

Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event

Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises

Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise

A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise

Complimentary upgrade from ChoiceAir® to ChoiceAir Plus when booking travel for your cruise

Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise

Annual member Reunion Cruise with additional member events

One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)

Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with the latest program news and information

Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Level***

You have to be kidding me.

You mean that your actually prefer the daily two hour open bar hospitality on Celebrity in favor of those wonderful medallions or the lapel pin that HAL gives you? This is a challenge to comprehend. What about those free luggage tags that you don't get on Celebrity??

The medallians, lapel pins, and 'stars' proclaim to the world that you are a person of quality. The medal hanging ceremony, or the pin pinning ceremony is similar to a 'right of passage' that only comes a few times in ones's lifetime. It is not, as some detractors would say, just a cheap, crass way to reward frequent cruisers.

Uncle.

I like HAL ships and think they deliver good value for the prices they charge. Their itineraries can't be beat for their price.

You have to be kidding me.

You mean that your actually prefer the daily two hour open bar hospitality on Celebrity in favor of those wonderful medallions or the lapel pin that HAL gives you? This is a challenge to comprehend. What about those free luggage tags that you don't get on Celebrity??

One might suspect to give free drinks to the Elite (how many are there on any given cruise anyway?) they might be overcharging the masses swilling beer down below?

It could well be that those beer drinking masses do subsidize the free drinks.

And I bet that those free drinks in the two hour nightly Celebrity hospitality suite are nothing more that cheap watered down bar selections or wines of dubious orginal. Nothing like the vintage quality complementary bottle of wine that you get from HAL when your A/C malfunctions for days, or when your toilet backs up.

I like HAL ships and think they deliver good value for the prices they charge. Their itineraries can't be beat for their price.

I get that you like HAL. But methinks thou doth protest too much.

Everyone is just as entitled to their own conclusions, drawn from their own experiences and priorities as you are. I can't imagine it's very productive to go on trying to convince others as you are doing here. You've posted 25 times to this thread alone about how incomparable HAL is.

And I bet that those free drinks in the two hour nightly Celebrity hospitality suite are nothing more that cheap watered down bar selections or wines of dubious orginal. Nothing like the vintage quality complementary bottle of wine that you get from HAL when your A/C malfunctions for days, or when your toilet backs up.

*snicker*

I get that you like HAL. But methinks thou doth protest too much.

Everyone is just as entitled to their own conclusions, drawn from their own experiences and priorities as you are. I can't imagine it's very productive to go on trying to convince others as you are doing here. You've posted 25 times to this thread alone about how incomparable HAL is.

There is a feature on this forum that lets you block users you don't want to read. Check it out. Easier than going back and counting other people's posts.

There is a feature on this forum that lets you block users you don't want to read. Check it out. Easier than going back and counting other people's posts.

Nah. Counting posts is one click. Easy-peasy.

Since our first cruise and introduction to CC was with Crystal, I learned Holland America was held in particular contempt on that forum. The irony much later when Crystal substantially raised their rates were some of the loyalists were having to look into HAL after getting priced out of the new "inclusive" Crystal.

Then when we too looked for an alternative to Crystal, we just randomly picked HAL in comparisons to Celebrity and Princess. But after our first HAL cruise, we could not figure out why the Crystal CC crowd had looked down their noses at this perfectly good cruise line, which offered many of the same advantages as the Crystal cruise but at a far lower price and better itineraries to boot.

Crystal passengers on their CC forum often brag about being "Crystalized" which means they truck no disloyalty to their brand and decidedly look down with contempt anyone so disfavored to think otherwise, with a particular fervor against HAL ships for some reason.

This ultimately made me dislike them and their ships, but because of a price break we did take another Crystal cruise after many HAL cruises later. I went with a more open attitude and again came away with things to like and a reasonably neutral observation that they are also not as good as their loyalists claim.

Let's face it: ships are large metal boxes with limited possible variations who have to feed, bed and entertain any number of passengers and get them from place to place. Whether one has better carpeting or provides tins of cheap but inedible caviar may or may not make that much difference in the overall travel picture.

SwissMyst, I am sorry to hear that your take-away from reading the Crystal boards on CC has been that HAL is somehow held "in particular contempt" on the Crystal board. Speaking for myself as both a Crystal fan and a frequent reader of the Crystal boards on CC, all I can say is that I myself have never noticed such a bias on the Crystal board against either Holland America in particular or, for that matter, against any other particular line. Of course, and unfortunately, there are always a certain number of individual posters on every CC board who seem to go way over-the-top both in defense of their favorite cruise line and also in their criticism of other lines, but I for one have seen no more of that on the Crystal board than on any other board and, in fact, and just IMO, I think some other boards that I frequently read on CC are worse offenders (I won't name names). IMO, when people on the Crystal board talk about their having been "crystallized," I don't believe they are expressing "contempt" for other cruise lines or for the fans of other cruise at all; all they're doing is expressing an appreciation for what they've apparently personally perceived to be a superior level of service, food, enrichment programs, (or whatever.....) they feel they've experienced on Crystal. They are not saying that Crystal is perfect; nor are they saying that any specific or all other lines are terrible. Unfortunately there are always some overzealous posters on many CC boards whose over-the-top individual statements can make any given CC board look intolerant or snotty or unwelcoming or in some other way bad, but I just feel impelled to say that I do not feel this is true of the Crystal board in particular at all. Please do not let what might have been some obnoxious long-ago statements made by perhaps just one or two people who might have rudely expressed their own personal opinions spoil your own attitude toward any actual cruise line, including Crystal.

And FWIW and just for the record, I would like to add that, though Crystal still remains my own personal favorite cruise line (i.e. the line I prefer to sail whenever one of their itineraries is going my way), Holland America is a cruise line that I've sailed several times in the past and would be happy to sail on again. We were on Eurodam last fall and found ourselves favorably impressed. Somewhat to our surprise, we ended up preferring our experience on Eurodam to our experience on Oceania's Marina. Which is not to open up another can of worms (i.e. get drawn into verbal jousting w/ Oceania loyalists), but just as an example and reminder that, whatever anyone writes on CC, it's just one person's opinion (to which we are all entitled), but that isn't the same thing as a fact.

SwissMyst, I am sorry to hear that your take-away from reading the Crystal boards on CC has been that HAL is somehow held "in particular contempt" on the Crystal board. Speaking for myself as both a Crystal fan and a frequent reader of the Crystal boards on CC, all I can say is that I myself have never noticed such a bias on the Crystal board against either Holland America in particular or, for that matter, against any other particular line. Of course, and unfortunately, there are always a certain number of individual posters on every CC board who seem to go way over-the-top both in defense of their favorite cruise line and also in their criticism of other lines, but I for one have seen no more of that on the Crystal board than on any other board and, in fact, and just IMO, I think some other boards that I frequently read on CC are worse offenders (I won't name names). IMO, when people on the Crystal board talk about their having been "crystallized," I don't believe they are expressing "contempt" for other cruise lines or for the fans of other cruise at all; all they're doing is expressing an appreciation for what they've apparently personally perceived to be a superior level of service, food, enrichment programs, (or whatever.....) they feel they've experienced on Crystal. They are not saying that Crystal is perfect; nor are they saying that any specific or all other lines are terrible. Unfortunately there are always some overzealous posters on many CC boards whose over-the-top individual statements can make any given CC board look intolerant or snotty or unwelcoming or in some other way bad, but I just feel impelled to say that I do not feel this is true of the Crystal board in particular at all. Please do not let what might have been some obnoxious long-ago statements made by perhaps just one or two people who might have rudely expressed their own personal opinions spoil your own attitude toward any actual cruise line, including Crystal.

And FWIW and just for the record, I would like to add that, though Crystal still remains my own personal favorite cruise line (i.e. the line I prefer to sail whenever one of their itineraries is going my way), Holland America is a cruise line that I've sailed several times in the past and would be happy to sail on again. We were on Eurodam last fall and found ourselves favorably impressed. Somewhat to our surprise, we ended up preferring our experience on Eurodam to our experience on Oceania's Marina. Which is not to open up another can of worms (i.e. get drawn into verbal jousting w/ Oceania loyalists), but just as an example and reminder that, whatever anyone writes on CC, it's just one person's opinion (to which we are all entitled), but that isn't the same thing as a fact.

I can't speak about Crystal, but folks on the Regent boards think HAL is subpar and not worthy of sailing on. Once people get hooked on luxury, they get a little snooty---even though they all started cruising on mainstream lines. When I told them the same itinerary on Prinsendam costs roughly half, they said it was because the ship/line is that much inferior! Oh well---I guess we all have our opinions!

I think you should be able to post as much as you like, if you feel strongly about something. At least she just counted posts......I had a person read my posts up to at least 4 years ago to find something to call me out on!! And, that person doesn't even post here!!!

Your arrogance (and total inaccuracy) makes me question your previous comment about HA only getting classy customer (although we also do appreciate your humor). The 2 hour free Elite Cocktail Parties are held in a dedicated venue (usually a larger bar) with a menu of free drinks including several mixed cocktails (i.e. Cosmos, Martinis, etc), wine (the usual lower cost stuff we find on any cruise line), and other more common drinks such as Vodka, Scotch, Bourbon, Gin, etc. The Scotch they use (I am a scotch drinker) is usually Dewars (not my favorite but pretty decent) and the other hard liquor offerings are all decent brands. The hors d'oevres they serve (both hot and cold) are brought around to each table by waiters...which is nicer then the buffets we see on many other lines.

Regarding that "vintage" quality stuff you get when your A/C malfunctions...we have done better on HA since the last time we had an issue they gave us a $250 OBC. That OBC would almost be enough to buy a decent bottle of real Vintage Champagne on HA :)

Hank

My comments about Celebrity hospitality beverages are purely tongue in cheek.

We have been on Celebrity twice in the past six months. Silhouette in Europe and Equinox for a TA. Since that time we also did an NCL (Christmas) and just did a Carnival Glory Carib. three weeks ago. All good cruises even though they were not HAL. We do like HAL, but not all of their ships.

More and more we seem to be gravitating to Celebrity. For our tastes, Celebrity is going up on the value scale and leaving Princess, HAL, etc. behind. From our perspective, the Solstice class ships set the standard for now but HAL has some new ships coming down the pipe. Who knows what the next cruise or the next cruise line will bring. Noordam is currently next to the top of our list, after Oceania.

So many things are subjective- food, budget, cabin, itinerary, culture of a cruise line. Finding one that satisfies the balance of what you need and want vs.what you are willing and capable of paying is the sweet spot IMHO.

Some people can afford a Mercedes and Drive a Ford Happily. Some people can afford a Ford and mortgage everything to drive a Mercedes. Some people can afford a Mercedes and drive one because well they can and it suits them just fine. I think cruise lines fit this bill and by extension the CC threads. You will always find disciples and assassins.

I think it's all about what make you happy and balanced not all that other noise.

So many things are subjective- food, budget, cabin, itinerary, culture of a cruise line. Finding one that satisfies the balance of what you need and want vs.what you are willing and capable of paying is the sweet spot IMHO.

Some people can afford a Mercedes and Drive a Ford Happily. Some people can afford a Ford and mortgage everything to drive a Mercedes. Some people can afford a Mercedes and drive one because well they can and it suits them just fine. I think cruise lines fit this bill and by extension the CC threads. You will always find disciples and assassins.

I think it's all about what make you happy and balanced not all that other noise.

And I think this is beautifully said.

Last year I had an opportunity to look closely at the Oceania Marina.

Had not seen it before.

So I was excited to see this newly designed ship in one of our ports of call.

I prepared my photocamera.

Wow!

Oceania!

Our ship is entering the port.

I am looking at the Oceania Marina (a sister ship to the Riviera).

Silence.

What a miserable block of flats!!

Look at the forward part.

Where is observation deck?

Suites and suites and more suites.

Look at that nasty fence around upper decks - no views forward.

An upscale prison.

2h3nf9v.jpg

Look at this.

Where is promenade deck?

Hey, this is not a ship!

2w1wr2t.jpg

Look at the stern - no access, all sold to balconies....

2wfse4j.jpg

One pool for 1300 PAX:

309let2.jpg

More fences..

2wqakyf.jpg

Finally I found a humanised area from where people can enjoy sea views...

ilx8xw.jpg

I did not find a Hydropool & Thermal suite on Oceania deck plans.

Awful...

Will I pay more for for this ship than for HAL Signature class?

Never.

I would be pleased to try their cuisine but not for an extra cost.

This ship is lacking so much (actually it's lacking a ship) that a better food can be a sort of compensation.

very well put indeed:D

Archived