I am Jumping Ship to Oceania

mamaofami

There is one HAL ship that does NOT have a covered pool - the Prinsendam - and I happily will do another TA on her:D

Having been thrown in the Elegant Explorer's pool above the Arctic Circle, I would happily do it again below the Antarctic.

Roy

There is one HAL ship that does NOT have a covered pool - the Prinsendam - and I happily will do another TA on her:D

Granting her this exception too, but then we are springing for a nice suite so we are ...covered. Good to know this was not a drawback on a TA, but we also found we spent a lot of daytime indoors in the lectures during our TA on the Maasdam, even though she did have a lid.

Is Food the only difference?

Is that enough.......?

I'm not sure for me that better food would be so heavily weighted so I'm interested what else people consider better on Oceania than HAL.

Thanks if you can make some comparisons. :)

Many things are, of course, subjective. But objectively speaking, here are a couple that can make a big difference in the onboard experience:

• Oceania ships have a higher passenger space ratio than HAL (or other mass market line) ships. (Riviera's is 52.87 versus Noordam at 37.8 or Maasdam at 34.1, for example).
  • There are more crew/staff per passenger on Oceania ships versus HAL. On Oceania the ratio is about 1 staff/crew per 1.5 guests; on HAL it is more like 1 per 2.3 (Maasdam) to 2.8 (Westerdam) except for the Prinsendam, which is 1 to 1.8.

We sailed on both HAL and Oceania and in my opnion Oceania offers far better cuisine than HAL. If you look at the budget spend on food on Oceania compared to HAL it is clear that Oceania only goes for the finest products and this you will taste definitely.

Where do you find information on food budgets for ships?

While most of my cruise days have been on HAL, I am always open to other options and gave sailed on a number of other lines, some still around (Princess, Royal Carib.) and some now gone (like Matson (now that is telling my age), Royal Viking and Royal (or was it Crown)).

I have been eyeing Oceania for several years and even looked into a number of cruises but so far when the details are all done, it is simply too much more money for what I could get in terms of the shipboard experience, and the itineraries I looked at while good, I could find equal or better ones on HAL or Princess for a noticeable amount less cost. At first glance the price seems very competitive but on further study, they have not been. However, I will keep looking, not due to any major dissatisfaction with HAL but just because sometimes it is fun to try something different.

For years HAL has been one of, if not the forerunner in cruising to many areas of the world and many ports in the world. Only in recent years has there been much competition to Asia, South Pacific, Africa and such. (I am talking about cruise lines, not freighters.) Since we have been fortunate to visit so many interesting and unusual places, it is hard to find itineraries that have new ports. In terms of like the Caribbean, while I love it there I prefer land based vacations there. Same for Hawaii.

I have also checked out Regent. I have numerous friends who have tried Regent and while they loved it, they did not find the extra price worth it, particularly for folks who do not drink much or don't drink at all. Since I do not drink alcoholic beverages now,, nor carbonated ones (medical related), that part of the cost is not any benefit to me. Now, 20 years ago it would have been a different story.

Many things are, of course, subjective. But objectively speaking, here are a couple that can make a big difference in the onboard experience:

• Oceania ships have a higher passenger space ratio than HAL (or other mass market line) ships. (Riviera's is 52.87 versus Noordam at 37.8 or Maasdam at 34.1, for example).
  • There are more crew/staff per passenger on Oceania ships versus HAL. On Oceania the ratio is about 1 staff/crew per 1.5 guests; on HAL it is more like 1 per 2.3 (Maasdam) to 2.8 (Westerdam) except for the Prinsendam, which is 1 to 1.8.

The ratio of crew to guest is better but does that, in reality, translate to considerably better service? We have such good service on HAL, I wonder how much better it would/could be or if we even want it better. Just speaking for myself and DH, of course.

Is the service so over the top on Oceania?

Same for space per guest. We never really feel crowded on HAL ships but for Lido on Signature Class ships........ that can be overcrowded at lunch time, IMO.

I haven't yet heard much that would urge me to look closer at them.

One big factor for me is I really am not all that interested in sailing a ship smaller than an "S" class. I love the "S" ships and that is a good size for us.

I personally found the service on Crystal ships to be cloying, intrusive and ultimately annoying. We like to be more left alone, rather than constantly fawned over, hear our names used, and asking us if everything was okay.

They should know this without asking, IMHO. I am not even keen about the staff captain (or whatever the position) coming around every night on HAL ships asking if everything was okay.

The key to good service for us is when there is a problem or a special request, there is someone to discuss this with and it is remedied when it is reasonable to do so. And this means sometimes we don't always get what we want, but if it is handled well even when it fails to personally satisfy, this is still good service.

So numbers are only part of the game. And ultimately a very small part of it because inadequate staffing is obvious right away - which has not been our experience with HAL ships.

We sail on Oceania next Thursday for 24 days; Miami to Barcelona. We got an unbelievable deal plus upgrade. This will be our first Oceania cruise. We are 5 Star Mariners.

All you have to do is read the threads on Oceania to read how great this cruise line appears to be. We will have a standard balcony cabin that start at 282 sq ft.

Plus no formal nights or photo staff !

The ship has 1200 passengers and 33 percent larger (tonnage) than the Maasdam or Ryndam.

What is the name of the ship?

Judy, it looks like the previous poster is sailing on the Riviera. That's the ship I was considering. It's fairly new and everyone over on the boards at Oceania really does love it. Some day, I'll give it a try.

Here is what 90 Day ticker has to say about this 24 day TA on the Oceania Riviera - Miami to Barcelona - March 2013

Inside: Brochure: $13,796 - best offer $3,460

Oceanview: Brochure $15,996 - best offer $4,560

Balcony: Brochure $18,396 - best offer $5,660

"Savings" 71% -- savings from what? Over charging and over hyping in the first place? This is Crystals marketing ploy too -- always having a half-off or two for one cruise sale over their "brochure" prices.

The 24 day Oceania TA itinerary looks very nice so don't blame you for taking a great deal to do this: 13 sea days, 9 ports including an overnight in Bermuda.

Bon voyage. Could be a very good cruise.

Looking up a similar itinerary with HAL but on a much larger ship, the Eurodam offers a 23 day TA, but does not leave until April from Florida. Oceania Riviera is 1,258 passenger (similar to the Maasdam) and Eurodam is 2,044 passenger, similar to HAL Vista ships

HAL is offering the same "73%" discount over the Eurodam brochure price of Inside for $4849, best offer $1,299. No other prices offered on this quick check with 90-day ticker, but this is still a cruise a few weeks off and not a last minute reservation offer like the Oceania.

Itinerary different, as the Eurodam goes to Rome, but has an overnight in Barcelona - 10 at sea day and 11 ports.

And there you have it folks.

Judy, it looks like the previous poster is sailing on the Riviera. That's the ship I was considering. It's fairly new and everyone over on the boards at Oceania really does love it. Some day, I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Carol. :)

I've never thought of anyone's brochure prices as anything but meaningless fabrication. Free this, free that, a dinner, a bottle of cheap wine, free air, etc.

The only price we compare is the net price. What we pay less any OBC's or the value of any air that is included. All the rest is pure noise level to us.

Fortunately, our on line TA knows us well enough never to give us brochure price discounts or free insurance. Just the bottom line, thanks.

After that, it is down to everyone's personal value proposition.

Granting her this exception too, but then we are springing for a nice suite so we are ...covered. Good to know this was not a drawback on a TA, but we also found we spent a lot of daytime indoors in the lectures during our TA on the Maasdam, even though she did have a lid.

If you are springing for a nice suite on this ship you are so covered. The Neptune Suites are incredible. They might be the smallest in the fleet but they are so well laid out and so roomy that they seem larger and much more comfy.

There are some somewhat protected areas on the Lido and now of course the Lido Terrace portion (off Lido restaurant) is covered. So there is some protection there.

The ratio of crew to guest is better but does that, in reality, translate to considerably better service? We have such good service on HAL, I wonder how much better it would/could be or if we even want it better. Just speaking for myself and DH, of course.

Is the service so over the top on Oceania?

Same for space per guest. We never really feel crowded on HAL ships but for Lido on Signature Class ships........ that can be overcrowded at lunch time, IMO.

I haven't yet heard much that would urge me to look closer at them.

One big factor for me is I really am not all that interested in sailing a ship smaller than an "S" class. I love the "S" ships and that is a good size for us.

Perhaps if you could elaborate what things have made you less happy with HAL recently, it would be easier to address your question.

One thing I know from your posts that bothers you is smoking. Oceania has very limited smoking onboard (only 2 restricted areas), and of course, no smoking on balconies.

You are correct. We are sailing on the Riviera for 24 days starting 03/28/13. We started looking at this cruise line over a year ago and quickly realized that there 2 for 1 promotions was only a promotion and not reality. When I called Oceania for the discount price it was not available. But I was persistant and got a great deal. The 24 day cruise is a b2b, 10 day in the Caribbean and 14 day TA. We have a "B2" catagory balcony cabin. We paid $4,700/person that includes a cabin credit, 10 days paid gratuities and airfare from Barcelona. I researched the airfare and it would cost me $2,500/person to book myself. We are looking forward to this cruise !

We sailed on both HAL and Oceania and in my opnion Oceania offers far better cuisine than HAL. If you look at the budget spend on food on Oceania compared to HAL it is clear that Oceania only goes for the finest products and this you will taste definitely.

Look for the post on Prinsendam's food. Some people who were on a 64 day cruise did a very comprehensive review.

If this is a last minute airfare, I can see why it costs $2500 for a one-way ticket between Florida and Barcelona, but that seems pretty high for a one-way route if one plans this in advance. So again, apples are sometimes not apples when doing these comparisons.

But you are happy in the final analysis, and it does look like it will be a wonderful cruise. Tipping "included" is another very fuzzy benefit, when it all adds up.

I also just researched the airfare BCN to MIA for April and came up with a lot closer to $900-1000 a person economy at this late date.

Did Oceania offer business class airfare or deluxe economy to take this included benefit up to $2500 each?

I also just researched the airfare BCN to MIA for April and came up with a lot closer to $900-1000 a person economy at this late date.

Did Oceania offer business class airfare or deluxe economy to take this included benefit up to $2500 each?

No, the offer was economy class; but we come back on Sunday and the lowest airfare I found on kayak.com was $1300/person and it took 42 hours to get home. We are booked on United; get home in under 15 hours of air/airport time. When our flights were confirmed 10 weeks ago the one way was and still is $2500. US Airways was $1,600.

Is Food the only difference?

Is that enough.......?

I'm not sure for me that better food would be so heavily weighted so I'm interested what else people consider better on Oceania than HAL.

Thanks if you can make some comparisons. :)

It's the luxurious furnishings

The staff not being cut short and overworked

The meticulous maintenance of staterooms and public areas(like HAL used to)

The country club casual attire, no confusion of formal optional, elegant casual etc.

Specialty restaurant choices and at no extra cost

Daily dinner buffet with the option to dine alfresco, fresh fish and lobster cooked to order, sushi, desserts that have real chocolate and other desserts with real distinct flavor.

Beds with quality linens not tattered and stained as I experienced on my last Eurodam sailing.

Plush towels

Luxurious staterooms with excellent soundproofing

No smoking on verandas

It seems to me that many issues you have complained about on recent posts would not be issues on Oceania....you have noted decline in MDR and Lido food quality and choices noting that you ordered much too often from the available daily menu, you have noted various sailings where you could not use your veranda due to neighboring smokers, you have noted staff not having time to chat and on and on. We all know you are the ultimate HAL loyalist but........if you ventured outside your comfort zone and tried Oceania you just may be very pleasantly surprised:))

it's the luxurious furnishings -hal is pretty classy

the staff not being cut short and overworked -not anything we have noticed

the meticulous maintenance of staterooms and public areas(like hal used to) - we have had good cabins and good response when there have been problems

the country club casual attire, no confusion of formal optional, elegant casual etc. Formal night is formal night - all others are casual - no confusion

specialty restaurant choices and at no extra cost - okay, got us here for $10-25 pp more on hal

daily dinner buffet with the option to dine alfresco, fresh fish and lobster cooked to order, sushi, desserts that have real chocolate and other desserts with real distinct flavor. Hal does a good job and you can dine al fresco

beds with quality linens not tattered and stained as i experienced on my last eurodam sailing. Hal beds and linens are so luxurious - the best out there

plush towels - hal = plush towels

luxurious staterooms with excellent soundproofing - ditto for hal, luxury depends on what cabins you chose - apples to apples

no smoking on verandas - okay, that could well be worth a few thousand bucks more

i....

Actually disagree with all these points. HAL does a very good job with all of them. The only one to concede is the smoking on balconies. I don't fret over $10-25 pp for the specialty dining rooms. Yes, i know what you are getting at - Crystal had lovely higher end finishings too, but we ae still quibbling over what is worth the extra price which is (sigh) ..... subjective.

I always said for the price difference, i could redo my whole living room and make it higher end too, rather than enjoy a few hours of daylight in someone else's high end living room for a few short weeks.

Archived