More days in Rio or Buenos Aires

Anna201213

If you have to spend few days will you choose Rio or Buenos Aires. I know it is depends of what we like to do but I wish to have your opinion

Buenos aires no contest

We are going back for second time

12 days last time

8 days per cruise this time

It is the Paris of South America

Immerse yourself in the city

It is divine

Riots worth only a handful of days IMO

See Corcovado and sugarloaf and you have seen rio

Unfortunately I would have to say both!!

They each have their recommendations.

We are very glad we saw Rio before our cruise as there are many world class sites. (Try and arrange a private group if possible)

However, we enjoyed BA better as a city. In some ways it is more European and cosmopolitan.

Now that we have seen the major sites in both we would probably elect to go back to BA if we had to chose between the two.

Tough choice and good luck.

I would try to add a couple of extra days to my itinerary so I could spend some time in both. Each is unique and worth your time and effort. Do use common sense in both. No expensive jewelry, watches, cameras etc. You'll have a great time.

Both cities you have to be careful in, but I preferred Buenos Aires. Do hire a private guide as you will see more of the cities. Do leave your good jewellery at home. I would go back to Buenos Aires but now can say been there, done that for Rio. I was glad to leave, but glad that I saw the city.

Both cities you have to be careful in, but I preferred Buenos Aires. Do hire a private guide as you will see more of the cities. Do leave your good jewellery at home. I would go back to Buenos Aires but now can say been there, done that for Rio. I was glad to leave, but glad that I saw the city.

I just returned from Buenos Aires and I dont know what it was like before, but I can say in 30 years of traveling It was the first city that sincerely worried me.

Politics, unrest a failing economy Not sure what the cause is but ther results are scary. Horrible poverty mixed in with extreme wealth. This is no Paris..not even close and one of the dirtiest and most crime ridden I have seen in all my travels.

It must have been a thing of beauty in its hey day, but not now..htings have in the recent past become worse and worse according to our Argentinian guide for a day trip. I know many LOVE the city. I wonder of those, after visiting this new Buenos Aires, still will ?

Dozens of people on my cruise were robbed by street thives,pick pockets purse snatcher, bus drivers ( the bus driver on a ship tour stole someones camera), cab drivers... con artists, counterfit money rampant. This is all in broad daylight ! Hotel lobbies. in cabs, in churches. parks and piblic transportation.

In short I spent more time looking over my shoulder than at the sights.. Never have I seen so much trash/dirt on streets, the cemetary,parks everywhere you turned.

If you are there I would suggest getting out of town, maybe south to Patigonia region or Terra Delfuego. If you insistant on seeing the city, get a guide amd maybe a body guard. Do not wear watches, any jewelery, earings,pursees, wallets, dont ware good shoes ( one passenger sat doen to rest and they stole his shoes off his feet) or carry cameras. Never travel on any public transportation, keep out of parks.

Be wary of everyone because to them you are Bill Gates and a target.

In truth I so looked foward to seeing this city, it was a huge and sad dissapointment to me.

I just returned from Buenos Aires and I dont know what it was like before, but I can say in 30 years of traveling It was the first city that sincerely worried me.

Politics, unrest a failing economy Not sure what the cause is but ther results are scary. Horrible poverty mixed in with extreme wealth. This is no Paris..not even close and one of the dirtiest and most crime ridden I have seen in all my travels.

It must have been a thing of beauty in its hey day, but not now..htings have in the recent past become worse and worse according to our Argentinian guide for a day trip. I know many LOVE the city. I wonder of those, after visiting this new Buenos Aires, still will ?

Dozens of people on my cruise were robbed by street thives,pick pockets purse snatcher, bus drivers ( the bus driver on a ship tour stole someones camera), cab drivers... con artists, counterfit money rampant. This is all in broad daylight ! Hotel lobbies. in cabs, in churches. parks and piblic transportation.

In short I spent more time looking over my shoulder than at the sights.. Never have I seen so much trash/dirt on streets, the cemetary,parks everywhere you turned.

If you are there I would suggest getting out of town, maybe south to Patigonia region or Terra Delfuego. If you insistant on seeing the city, get a guide amd maybe a body guard. Do not wear watches, any jewelery, earings,pursees, wallets, dont ware good shoes ( one passenger sat doen to rest and they stole his shoes off his feet) or carry cameras. Never travel on any public transportation, keep out of parks.

Be wary of everyone because to them you are Bill Gates and a target.

In truth I so looked foward to seeing this city, it was a huge and sad dissapointment to me.

Ouch, things must have changed. It was clean last year. we were warned about pickpockets and yes some people did get robbed in Buenos Aries but I always felt like I was looking over my shoulder in Rio. Our guide was forever giving us instructions on how to be careful. You should have seen his car, decrepit and he said that way it was left alone and he never had anything stolen.

My DIL is from there and just returned from a trip home to see her parents. She expressed dismay.

However, if you hire a guide and find out which money is counterfeit and which taxis not to take, there are wonderful sights as well as the falls and the wine country.

I felt more uneasy in Rio and was glad to be out of there. Private guide and all.

I just spent a week in BA in December. yes, I was warned to be careful and I was, therefore I had a great time and walked all over the city. Just don't do anything provocative like wear expensive jewelry and you should be fine. Also, always take only Radio cabs or ones ordered by your hotel or restaurant but that has been the rule for at least ten years when I first went there.

It has been several years since we visited BA, but that city had more to offer than Rio We were in Rio in November. In Rio we saw young people sleeping on the sidewalk.. Poverty!!! Rio is in the process of getting ready for the Olympics and the World Cup and is torn up.

~Doris

We just back from a cruise from Rio to BA over Christmas and we padded both sides by four days. Honestly, if you can do four in each that would be ideal. I think it depends on what you are into, though. We really loved Rio and hired a fantastic tour guide for two days and saw all the attractions. One night we into Lapa and went to a Samba party, and that was beyond fantastic and everyone was just as happy and fun as could be. We also visited a Favella (shanty town) which was interesting and went hang gliding. Plus lots of eating and a little time on the beach. The city is not NEARLY as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. Not once did I feel threatened/worried, even in the Favella!

BA was great and we rented an apartment in Palermo Soho, not far from the subway and the trendiest party of town. We also had a guide for two days and saw *most* of the tourist spots, however there is much more to do in BA so don't expect to see it all. In addition we went to some markets, a (very late night) street party frequented by American and Canadian ex-pats. THAT was fun!!! Also, we saw a fantastic Tango dinner show. Again lots of eating.

The difference is kind of like South Beach (Rio) vs. Paris. Rio is very beach/outdoor/jungle centric, where BA is much more "urban" (though their greenspaces/parks are fantastic). Have fun whatever you decide to do!!!

I agree with Both

They are so different. Rio is about beaches, sun. and partying. Its geographic location is stunning and the city is being tidied up for the Olympics and World Cup. Its big on natural impact. The big attractions in Rio are spectacular eg Sugarloaf Mountain, Christ the Redeemer to name a few.

BA I know less well, but it has more of a feel of a shabby Paris, and I mean a very untidy Paris. I felt less safe there than Rio, but I still loved visiting the city. BA is more about the cities architecture and what I suspect is a deeper cultural offering than Rio. Both have diverse suburbs and South American energy, and signs of some much needed renovation.

Edited by OzAbroad

Well, we enjoyed both cities but our information is old. Rio in March 1974 (the last week of Mardi Gras, we saw the final parade from our hotel room) and Buenos Aires in January 2002.

As for Rio, it has (or had then) much more than beaches, etc. We did go to the beach at Ipanema one day for a whole hour (which was as much summer sun as we norteamericanos could tolerate). We had a week in Rio and were busy every day.

My father was on tour with Toscanini's symphony orchestra in 1938 and always said it was the favorite city he'd ever visited. We loved it just as much in 2002. Again, lots to do although we only had 3 days.

Now, a proviso ... we will be in Rio in December and Marina overnights there. Since we are doing two days of tours (which is not our usual fashion) we decided to fly home early. We were somewhat disturbed about reports of increased crime and decided that two days of touring should pretty much have us see what we want to see. So we cancelled our two nights of hotels after the cruise.

But we did love our week of leisurely seeing everything we could back in 1974. I particularly remember a lovely convent church that was covered in gilt ... and as we walked in the organist started playing. As musicians, we were in heaven.

I don't know if that church is still available but I intend to find out!

Mura

One has to be careful even in the city where you live. There are thieves among us always. Carefully plan where you go in either City as you carefully plan your vacation. Be aware of your surroundings. I love BA but also love Rio and returning there in November.

We are looking at that cruise next March. It seems to coincide with the Rio Carnival which we would love to see.

I am pricing this at the moment but would like to add 3 additional days at the beginning. Most hotels seem booked up already.

Brian

I have been to BA at least a dozen times and we have never felt endangered. Rio is another story too much crime. Just leave your jewelry in the safe and just take a little money with a credit card.

Important: Only use a radio taxi when you go out.

We are looking at that cruise next March. It seems to coincide with the Rio Carnival which we would love to see.

I am pricing this at the moment but would like to add 3 additional days at the beginning. Most hotels seem booked up already.

Brian

The street parties are good with Carnival. The thing we noticed is that most businesses are boarded up so that their windows do not get broken by vandals during carnival. We asked our guide about the boarded up buildings and he said too many hooligans who get so drunk they don't know what they are doing. He also said that Ipanema was safer than Copacabana. I would use private guides in both cities to see them as each has a lot to offer.

We booked as soon as we could for a hotel. You may have to work through a booking company to get a hotel as we tried individually and finally had to go through a tour company to get a room.

The street parties are good with Carnival. The thing we noticed is that most businesses are boarded up so that their windows do not get broken by vandals during carnival. We asked our guide about the boarded up buildings and he said too many hooligans who get so drunk they don't know what they are doing. He also said that Ipanema was safer than Copacabana. I would use private guides in both cities to see them as each has a lot to offer.

We booked as soon as we could for a hotel. You may have to work through a booking company to get a hotel as we tried individually and finally had to go through a tour company to get a room.

Sounds a bit like Edinburgh during the Festival. But boy is that great fun......seriously plenty of drunks but really little vandalism unless you go way out.

Brian

Sounds a bit like Edinburgh during the Festival. But boy is that great fun......seriously plenty of drunks but really little vandalism unless you go way out.

Brian

Carnival is NUTS from all the awesome locals I've heard from on our trip. Nuts does not equal not fun, but you should be up for it otherwise it might be not fun. We saw them setting up for new years day and it was quite the scene. Stages everywhere, etc. I'd sugest you have a plan for carnival. I honestly can not understand why people feel this is a dangerous city. We were on guard, like you would be in say NYC, but no more - just a little foreign but felt like we were accepted and didn't worry much about our safety. Granted I'm 195lbs and 6'2" so that might be a factor :) Rio is fun and we plan to return for the olympics.

Edited by corpkid

Brian

If you are there during the Carnaval, you must go to the Sambadrome on one of the 2 nights for the Samba Schools parade.

You may want to look into purchasing your own tickets for a box. The ships tours are in bleacher seats without a back-rest and on first come basis - i.e. very poor experience IMO

This is one of those things that you only go to see once (most people do so anyway) and you might as well make the most of it and be comfortable. The boxes are more expensive but are closer and have comfortable seats with room to stand up, stretch and walk around; the bleacher seats have none of those "comforts". You are likely to stay there for many hours....

Not to be missed!

We recently did both cities. Posted things on trip advisor about what we enjoyed. Took cooking classes in each city to learn new techniques and recipes. We both grew up in NYC back in the day and try to be street wise wherever we go. No bad stuff came our way, I guess we were "lucky." Keep a low profile look natural and enjoy.

If you have to spend few days will you choose Rio or Buenos Aires. I know it is depends of what we like to do but I wish to have your opinion

I own homes in both Rio (Leblon for 10 years) and Bs As (Recoleta for 5 years). Yes, the answer to your question depends on what you like to do. But are you really limited to just a few days to allocate between one or the other of these world class cities and surrounding areas? You don't indicate your port of embarcation or disembarcation (or when your travel), but presumably Rio is one and Bs As is the other. You will be coming from Montreal, a long journey and I would urge you to reconsider allowing only a few nights total in ports. I suggest the following minimum schedule if you can manage it:

a) 3 nights in Bs As staying in a hotel in the Recoleta area; consult www.guiaoleo for restaurant options (Tomo 1, Resto, Vasco Frances, La Cabrera are fantastic and with the black market for US dollars Bs As is a real bargain. Don't use a credit card. Bring cash (US$), exchange it for pesos at a 75% premium over the official (ATM, credit card) rate and upgrade your hotel.

b) 3 nights in Rio staying in a hotel in Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon; Avoid Rio during carnaval unless money is no object in which case stay at the Copacabana Palace ($400/night and up) and take in the elegant costume ball there that starts the 4 day carnaval party ($800 pp). Buy a box seat to the first division samba school parade in the sambodromo ($1000 pp). Go to a music club in Lapa (www.lanalapa.com.br) ($75 for a night on the town).

c) 2 nights in Iguazu Falls (many flights from both cities). Stay in either the Sheraton on the Arg side or the Hotel Cataratas on the Brasilian side.

How often are you going to be in that part of the world?

p.s. There is no need to obsess about street crime in either city if you use common sense. Or just get very unlucky as you could in Montreal.

Edited by pmacher61

I own homes in both Rio (Leblon for 10 years) and Bs As (Recoleta for 5 years). Yes, the answer to your question depends on what you like to do. But are you really limited to just a few days to allocate between one or the other of these world class cities and surrounding areas? You don't indicate your port of embarcation or disembarcation (or when your travel), but presumably Rio is one and Bs As is the other. You will be coming from Montreal, a long journey and I would urge you to reconsider allowing only a few nights total in ports. I suggest the following minimum schedule if you can manage it:

a) 3 nights in Bs As staying in a hotel in the Recoleta area; consult www.guiaoleo for restaurant options (Tomo 1, Resto, Vasco Frances, La Cabrera are fantastic and with the black market for US dollars Bs As is a real bargain. Don't use a credit card. Bring cash (US$), exchange it for pesos at a 75% premium over the official (ATM, credit card) rate and upgrade your hotel.

b) 3 nights in Rio staying in a hotel in Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon; Avoid Rio during carnaval unless money is no object in which case stay at the Copacabana Palace ($400/night and up) and take in the elegant costume ball there that starts the 4 day carnaval party ($800 pp). Buy a box seat to the first division samba school parade in the sambodromo ($1000 pp). Go to a music club in Lapa (www.lanalapa.com.br) ($75 for a night on the town).

c) 2 nights in Iguazu Falls (many flights from both cities). Stay in either the Sheraton on the Arg side or the Hotel Cataratas on the Brasilian side.

How often are you going to be in that part of the world?

p.s. There is no need to obsess about street crime in either city if you use common sense. Or just get very unlucky as you could in Montreal.

We are staying at the Copacabana Palace Hotel in December. Stayed there in 2007 and loved it. Do u know of another hotel with a view of

Christ the Redeemer? Thanks

We are staying at the Copacabana Palace Hotel in December. Stayed there in 2007 and loved it. Do u know of another hotel with a view of

Christ the Redeemer? Thanks

I have the world's worst sense of direction so I have to qualify my answer with that caveat. I have a good view of Corcovado from my bedroom window so I would think any hotel in Leblon or Ipanema would have a view of it if you were on a floor above the rooftops of neighboring buildings. Not sure about all of Copacabana, but they would better view Sugarloaf. If you want to try a place other than the Palace, consider the Marina in Leblon, the Marriott or Sofitel in Copacabana.