New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

Bill

thanks again for your considered response re inclusive etc.

What do you think RCI should do with travel agents that have willfully ignored the April request to be "more inclusive".

Should they stop these agents selling under these false pretences.

Please look again at RCI travel agent.

I really despair at Azamara UK marketing dept if they cannot enforce false descriptions 3 months after a request.

Bill, thank you and I don't think there is more for you to say and we appreciate Azamara admitting that they decided to use the term "All-Inclusive" in the UK and it wasn't outside agents doing this on their own.

I think the UK agents and Azamara should give the UK guests who booked during the period when Azamara was advertised as all-inclusive an upgraded drinks package. The value of the package isn't that high in the first place and the agents could use it as a booking bonus. Note we are not drinkers but this is just my opinion. Btw, to us "All-inclusive" would include shore excursions and specialty restaurants, but those from the UK posting only seem to believe All-inclusive relates to alcohol.

Hello Jade13 -

Thank you for your comments and suggestions to the UK marketing and sales team.

From UK feedback, I'm hopeful we're making progress in recovering from the unwise "All-Inclusive" UK positioning.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

This mention of additional cost beverage packages should have been included in your BIG November announcement, Bill, in the section describing the new liquor policy. It would have made clear that the liquor policy would be very basic, and that those who wanted a more comprehensive policy (i.e., like the "up-market and luxury" cruise lines) would have to pay for one of three:eek: better packages in order to get it. This would have been much more accurate than saying that Azamara's new package was " a common offering in the up-market and luxury sectors of our industry," which turned out to be highly misleading and a major contributor to the subsequent controversy here.

Hello Marinaro44 -

I agree with your assessment that Azamara could have done a much job with communicating and positioning our "select standard spirits" program and making a stronger and more obvious connection to our extra-tariff liquor packages for guests who might have been expecting premium brands.

I have forwarded several of your copy suggestions and feedback about our writing style to our marketing director so that it can be discussed with our advertising copywriters.

Thank you for your time and effort in providing your feedback about our marketing execution. For me, it's an important perspective from a very engaged and avid Azamara customer.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thanks Bill for this honest reply as to why included drinks are on the back page I.e. Azamara wish to increase revenue by highlighting revenue generating drinks. Fair enough. Still don't understand rationale for not showing ingredients of the inclusive cocktails. I am not familiar with the constituent parts of most of the offerings. Also you say that ingredients and pictures are necessary to promote those non inclusive cocktails that generate revenue. Don't mean to be picky but I would submit that increased charges for 'more inclusive' was a sales tactic to also increase overall revenue. These drinks are included but they are in no way 'free' to the paying customer.

Next time I cruise I must also remember to have a web page open at all times so that I can take advantage of the 33 'spirits' listed so that I can request any concoction that I fancy, even when the bar is busy.

Now I am beginning to sound like 'English Tim' but sometimes these long considered replies answer some points admirably but then raise more questions.

Still can't wait to get back on board but all this is great fun!

Hello Mrs Miggins -

I appreciate your loyalty to the Azamara experience and taking your time to share your opinions about how we could improve our overall operation.

I understand your point that we should reconsider our thinking about not providing a list of the ingredients for the most frequently requested cocktails. Perhaps we'll find similar feedback from our onboard guest surveys and post-cruise guest questionnaire to the point where we might consider providing this information in an onboard format to be determined. As I said, we're still in our introductory stage.

You're right about our "select standard spirits" inclusion as not being free. It and the AzAmazing Evening event costs were added to our tariff. These amenities represent only a portion of our price increase. We also increased our pricing to sustain the brand and grow our fleet in the future. We're supposed to make a profit and exceed our guest's expectations! :)

Please keep-up the "tough love!"

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill, thank you for this comprehensive statement.

Hello English Tim -

I hope my epistle was helpful in providing you with a broader perspective about the Azamara Club Cruises' operation. Our brand has only been around for a little over 3 years - so we are still evolving.

In spite of the executive team's collective years of cruise industry management experience, it will always be a challenge to launch a new brand. During the first-half of 2013, it has been demanding to introduce and to communicate effectively our new programs and the changes to our policies, especially in this new digital and fragmented consumer marketing environment. Simply, some people liked them; others did not; or suggested changes. At the heart of the situation, is our human nature which makes it difficult to accept change.

English Tim, your input matters. Larry Pimentel, our President and CEO, created my position to report to him and his team, Azamara Cruise Critic forum feedback. He is gathering points-of-views from Cruise Critic as well as our onboard guest surveys and post-cruise guests questionnaires. He's seeking a "reality" check about our performance on land and sea.

Thank you for your live reporting on the Azamara Journey and that you enjoyed our onboard experience. I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you and Rosy onboard sometime in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill

thanks again for your considered response re inclusive etc.

What do you think RCI should do with travel agents that have willfully ignored the April request to be "more inclusive".

Should they stop these agents selling under these false pretences.

Please look again at RCI travel agent.

I really despair at Azamara UK marketing dept if they cannot enforce false descriptions 3 months after a request.

Hello Procter -

I'm not familiar with UK business norms related to managing the relationship between a travel operator and a travel agency. In the US market, sometimes agencies are flagged as "stop-sell" in the reservation system until they have corrected their sales tactics.

I do know that Miami's sales management is working with its counterpart in the UK to correct this misrepresentation of our product deliverables by those travel agents who have not yet adjusted their Azamara advertising .

I'm hopeful that these very recent efforts will correct the situation. Thanks for keeping me posted!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill ,

Has Azamara added any more diet sodas to their list of canned complimentary beverages? I don't drink ice tea or juice, or any wine, beer or spirts. Is it just diet coke (which I don't drink) and diet sprite? Azamara there are people like me who don't drink wine, beer or spirts. What have you added for us? Just the price increase.

Hello Maria -

I'm checking again with our hotel operations team to reconfirm the items included in the complimentary list of canned drinks beside diet Coke and Sprite.

I will get back to you with that information.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill

thanks for reply re travel agents "all inclusive" but if Azamara Brand and Edie Bornstein cannot even get a sister company in the group to toe the line after 3 months then what chance enforcing discipline on others.

I feel a letter to Larry regarding azamara marketing failings coming on.

Thanks again for your time and effort in representing our views /comments even if to some of us that nobody in marketing takes any notice of your representations.

Hello English Tim -

I hope my epistle was helpful in providing you with a broader perspective about the Azamara Club Cruises' operation. Our brand has only been around for a little over 3 years - so we are still evolving.

In spite of the executive team's collective years of cruise industry management experience, it will always be a challenge to launch a new brand. During the first-half of 2013, it has been demanding to introduce and to communicate effectively our new programs and the changes to our policies, especially in this new digital and fragmented consumer marketing environment. Simply, some people liked them; others did not; or suggested changes. At the heart of the situation, is our human nature which makes it difficult to accept change.

English Tim, your input matters. Larry Pimentel, our President and CEO, created my position to report to him and his team, Azamara Cruise Critic forum feedback. He is gathering points-of-views from Cruise Critic as well as our onboard guest surveys and post-cruise guests questionnaires. He's seeking a "reality" check about our performance on land and sea.

Thank you for your live reporting on the Azamara Journey and that you enjoyed our onboard experience. I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you and Rosy onboard sometime in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill Leiber, thank you for such a kind courteous response. Clearly, I have a lot to learn about responsible postings.

Rosy and I will indeed be back onboard soon, to see our meet again our new social media friends in the crew and to experience such wonderful service levels. Had our TA not got incorrect details on their website, we'd have booked again for October and still may if the upgrade promotion returns. :)

Bill

thanks for reply re travel agents "all inclusive" but if Azamara Brand and Edie Bornstein cannot even get a sister company in the group to toe the line after 3 months then what chance enforcing discipline on others.

I feel a letter to Larry regarding azamara marketing failings coming on.

Thanks again for your time and effort in representing our views /comments even if to some of us that nobody in marketing takes any notice of your representations.

It doesn't appear that Larry cares as there have been ongoing marketing problems over the years and he doesn't seem to make much of an effort to correct them.

Edited by Jade13

Hello Maria -

I'm checking again with our hotel operations team to reconfirm the items included in the complimentary list of canned drinks beside diet Coke and Sprite.

I will get back to you with that information.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you Bill.

I drink diet soda only. Most times with no caffeine. And I don't drink any beer, wine or spirts. Ice tea is a no go for me. Coffee is not on my list either. On my two Azamara cruises that I have take I have brought soda with me. Juice is out,too much sugar in it. But I have no plans to take soda on board with me again, if I take another Azamara cruise.

Edited by geocruiser

Hello Adurr1 and Other Readers -

I've learned from hotel operation's management, that there are no future plans to add sparkling wine to the Inclusive list.

Please remember that sparkling wine will continue to be served on a complimentary basis for such onboard events such as the Le Club Voyage parties; at embarkation; large tour welcome backs and other events at the discretion of our onboard management team.

The Wine Packages which we offer include all bottles of wine valued at $50 or less. There are more than 60 wines from which to choose, including 1 sparkling wine, 30 white wines, 3 rosé wines, 26 red wines, and 4 dessert wines. Below is a link to our website:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/onboard-packages/wine-packages

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I have to say this is an extremely lame and outdated position from Azamara. I'm not sure why you restate the wine package details Bill, as that has no bearing on the sparkling wine open-bar issue.

I thought Azamara were trying to position themselves with the luxury lines? Clearly not!

Cavas, Proseccos and a multitude of other sparkling whites have exploded in popularity particularly throughout Europe and to not even include one option by the glass at a bar is frankly rather third world. These sparkling wines are priced on a par with standard red and white wines, so cost can't be the problem here.

As it is, the only option on Azamara to have a standard glass of sparkling wine (without paying ludicrous additional prices) is to wait for the 'celebratory' events to be able to treat oneself to a half measure of warm flat 'bubbles' that's been sat on a tray for an hour.

Very very poor indeed.

Bill, can you please advise how we can take this particular issue further?

Mr. Leiber,

Thank you so much for your forthright, patient and informative responses. I have been consistently impressed with Azamara and its representatives and you are no exception.

I look forward to our upcoming August cruises on the Quest,

PJ

Rberg2,

I believe Mr. Leiber has addressed this issue ad nauseam in this and other threads. Write a letter, fill out a comment card or spend your money on another line.

If you believe this is such a poor decision perhaps AZ is not the cruise line for you.

Kathy

As it is, the only option on Azamara to have a standard glass of sparkling wine (without paying ludicrous additional prices) is to wait for the 'celebratory' events to be able to treat oneself to a half measure of warm flat 'bubbles' that's been sat on a tray for an hour.

At the risk of extending this thread even further, I and my wife can honestly say that we have NEVER experienced 'half measure of warm flat 'bubbles' ' at any of the celebratory events on the many Azamara cruises we have been on. This also includes the welcome drink on boarding. It has always been well filled and chilled, and always been available in copious amounts. I also agree with Kathy9. Over to you Andy!

Hi Everyone,

I agree that everything that can be said, has been stated, and repeated ad nausem. I certainly believe that Azamara has a boatload (pardon the pun) of our feedback for review. Knowing Bill's outstanding efforts, it's probabaly safe to say that he will share our insights with Azamara's Management team.

I hope you will agree it's time to close this thread. Should Bill have additional insights to share with us, I will be happy re-open it for his wrap-up.

Thanks very much for your understanding !

Just a friendly reminder Andy. Put a fork in it- it's done!

I have to say this is an extremely lame and outdated position from Azamara. I'm not sure why you restate the wine package details Bill, as that has no bearing on the sparkling wine open-bar issue.

I thought Azamara were trying to position themselves with the luxury lines? Clearly not!

Cavas, Proseccos and a multitude of other sparkling whites have exploded in popularity particularly throughout Europe and to not even include one option by the glass at a bar is frankly rather third world. These sparkling wines are priced on a par with standard red and white wines, so cost can't be the problem here.

Very very poor indeed.

I don't know whether you have cruised with Az before, in fact from what you say I doubt it. They do not serve at celebratory events 'warm flat bubbles that have been on a tray for an hour'. End of.

I do however agree that it's not beyond the realms of reality to expect a fizz of Prosecco or Cava levels to be included in the gratis drinks.

And I have no doubt that in a few months time Az will have realised, and sorted this problem out, as they will with the soft drinks/beers that are also causing consternation to some fellow cruisers.

This will not spoil our upcoming cruise even though The Boss only drinks fizz, Az have solved that problem by giving us an OBC! We know what it will be spent on.

Give them time.

Peter & Linda

Hi Kathy9, Mara01,

Thanks for the comments however I can't see how the sparkling wine issue has been covered other than the statement that Azamara don't do it. It may not concern you but this extreme short sightedness does concern my party and my booking. And yes I want the issue addressed so I'm happy to do so beyond this forum. After all we're only asking for Azamara to get up to speed with the real world.

As for warm half measures of bubbles at the occasions they do deem 'appropriate', well I just hope I'll be eating my big fat hat ;)

I understand sparkling wines are not included in the basic drink package. I understand you can purchase a "wine package". What I do not understand is if a split or glass of sparkling wine is available for purchase at any open bar, and if so at what cost? My wife and I are booked on the Journey October 8, 13.

Thank you

I understand sparkling wines are not included in the basic drink package. I understand you can purchase a "wine package". What I do not understand is if a split or glass of sparkling wine is available for purchase at any open bar, and if so at what cost? My wife and I are booked on the Journey October 8, 13.

Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Champagne is certainly available by the glass and bottle, as is Cava.

Time to knock this on the head as the whole topic is going rather flat.

If Az aren't going to offer a decent continental beer to match European tastes, they certainly aren't going to offer bubbly in the inclusive package. For a start I doubt that it can be bought at the price of the still wines.

A half decent Methode Traditional Touraine costs 5.50 euros here in France ex-producer. Add shipping and it doesn't stack up.

So forget it!

However, for Bill - Would the company consider substituting a European beer for one of the American ones during the summer when there will be more UK and European passengers ?? Carlberg / Heineken / Amstel or a local beer from the region where the ship finds itself would be most acceptable as many Europeans don't like US beers.