New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

I'd already booked Athens - Dubai 2013 before the 'all inclusive' was finalised.

HJowever, naively I'd assumed that the drinks that were available on the old Standard Package would become inclusive. I'm not so naive as to expect complimentary Dom Perignon, Chateau Lafite and Henessy XO.

Perhaps it would have been better to say, "Some drinks will now be available within the price of your cruise" rather than leading us to believe that all but Premium brands would be inclusive.

It's not a question of wanting to drink to excess, but a question of being mislead - dare I say even mis-sold?

It's a shame the bean-counters don't achieve the same level of customer service as the sea-going staff.

They realised their mistake pretty quickly, especially after all the flak on here and ever since, they've been trying to recover. Now all of us that have booked on the strength of it being 'all inclusive', await their first cruise with excitement and a little anxiety.

If you feel hard done by there's always the recourse of litigation, but that seems a little extreme.

It looks as if Azamara needs to have a word with it's TAs. Page 67 of todays Mail on Sunday has an ad from Cruise Club UK stating categorically "5* All Inclusive Cruises aboard Azamara" and All Inclusive with gratuties inclusive" the latter is of course correct in part where it mentions gratuities. There is a logo below the photo of an Azamara ship ( pre-refit ) which says "Azmara Club Cruises ALL INCLUSIVE". That is not open to any misinterpretation and will not help in calming ruffled feathers, particularly if a whole new batch of unhappy and disgruntled guests come into the picture.

This whole farrago really does need sorting out and a unified approach from Azamara and it's agents. I am desperately looking forward to our cruise and this sorry debacle will not, I hope, hamper our enjoyment ( although I'm still sore about having to pay for fizzy water and alcohol free beer when gin, wine, vodka and scotch are available gratis ) but it is not reassuring to find misinformation still being peddled.

Edited by Raskelf
typo

Dare I add this post? well why not as there are about three hundred posters before me, would it be possible to include Cider on the Azamara? I am sure I am not the only one who likes to drink this, it's a great drink when it's hot if you don't like beer!

He Bill howsaboutit?

Kind regards

Rosalyn

It looks as if Azamara needs to have a word with it's TAs. Page 67 of todays Mail on Sunday has an ad from Cruise Club UK stating categorically "5* All Inclusive Cruises aboard Azamara" and All Inclusive with gratuties inclusive" the latter is of course correct in part where it mentions gratuities. There is a logo below the photo of an Azamara ship ( pre-refit ) which says "Azmara Club Cruises ALL INCLUSIVE". That is not open to any misinterpretation and will not help in calming ruffled feathers, particularly if a whole new batch of unhappy and disgruntled guests come into the picture.

This whole farrago really does need sorting out and a unified approach from Azamara and it's agents. I am desperately looking forward to our cruise and this sorry debacle will not, I hope, hamper our enjoyment ( although I'm still sore about having to pay for fizzy water and alcohol free beer when gin, wine, vodka and scotch are available gratis ) but it is not reassuring to find misinformation still being peddled.

I was going make the same comments :(:)

Hello Raskelf, Gosport11 and other UK readers -

Thank you for reporting this advertisement in the Sunday travel section of the Mail. I'm disappointed - it seems that you're right that it "looks as if Azamara needs to have a word with it TAs." In early April the UK sales team announced to the travel trade community the decision to cease referring to Azamara as "All-Inclusive" in the UK to "More-Inclusive" so that Azamara would be positioned as it is in the US, Canada and other global markets.

In fact, here is the specific language that was included in our communication:

"Action as required:

In closing, you’re a key part of our sales partnership and we deeply value your commitment and enthusiasm on this evolutionary journey. So, to avoid any possible confusion for your customers, please ensure that all mentions of ‘all-inclusive’ are withdrawn from your sales collateral and websites by Friday 19 April 2013. ..."

I have already forwarded your message to our head of trade sales for action and thank you again for your feedback as we sort out this situation.

I thought it might be helpful to re-post a portion of my earlier message which included a summary of the information that we shared with our UK travel partners in making this shift:

§ Concurrent with Azamara's decision to include select standard spirits and beers in the 2013 tariff, the UK marketing team decided to sell Azamara as "All-Inclusive" in the UK, based on feedback from travel agents who were familiar with the all-inclusive market.

§ After several months in the UK marketplace, however, this approach became confusing to the UK guests, in light of the fact that in the US, Canadian and global markets, the brand was positioned as "More-Inclusive." Going forward, therefore, the UK marketing approach will be to adopt the "More-Inclusive" route.

§ As a "More-Inclusive" product, we now offer select standard spirits and international beers, plus boutique house wines at no charge to guests in bars throughout the ship, as well as at lunch and dinner.

§ This is in addition to the host of amenities already included in the cruise price:

- Complimentary AzAmazing Evenings event (Excluded on Transatlantic)

- Gratuities

- Complimentary bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas

- Butler service for all suite guests

- Shuttle service to and from port where available

- Concierge services for personal guidance and reservations

§ Because some of our guests also enjoy premium drinks brands, we offer great value premium packages that increase the range of beverages and brands they can choose.

To avoid any possible continued customer confusion, the UK travel partners have been notified to withdraw all mentions of "All-Inclusive" in their sales materials and websites. I expect that it will take a period of time for this information to phase out. ...

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your Azamara vacation. I hope that your experience exceeds your expectations in spite of the confusion that we created with the All-Inclusive" vs. "More-Inclusive" positioning.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thank you , Bill, for your quick response and for reiterating the position regarding All/More Inclusive. I appreciate that you are the PBI who gets everything in the neck from us cruisers and your replies and guidance are of great value and assistance to us. Sadly this discussion and your information only goes out to CC members so the Mail ad will reach many ( assuming many people buy it ) who do not have the benefit of our forums and they are the ones who will kick up a stink about the All Inclusive phrase ( Budwiesser would only be used in the question " Is that ALL you've got ?" ).

Again many thanks for your reply - it is good to know that Azamara do monitor the views of CC forums.

Bill, We cruised on Quest last month and had a fabulous time. We enjoyed it so much that we have booked a cruise on Journey departing next week! The limited all inclusive drinks menu really wasn't an issue for us, we just attempted to work our way through the cocktails list!

However, IGLU are still advertising all inclusive. We spoke to the sales guy a couple of days ago and he was pressing the point that the cruise was all inclusive. I tried to explain that he was not correct but I know he didn't take it on board (excuse the pun) and I bet he is still giving out the same information too potential customers.

I think it's pretty widespread that the agents have not changed their material. There is a company that is an RCI subsidiary (word first in title). On their site, click on the All inclusive tab, Azamara comes up, I took a dummy online booking all the way through to the end and at no point was a rider that AI meant more inclusive posted.

I appreciate the cruise line has issued it's direction but when the in group agents are not following it, this does not bode well for life onboard when the disappointed appear with their not unreasonable expectations.

I suspect someone in the UK office is going to have to trawl and dummy book on all the online UK agencies they work with and issue "warnings" to those organisations that are pushing all inclusive still. As they have been put on notice by Azamara, the agencies would not look good if a Trading Standards complaint was raised, but of course Azamara would get collateral damage if that hit the press or Ms Robinsons acidic watchdog tongue

Edited by uktog

Thanks bill.

As uktog says the problem seems more widespread than an isolated newspaper advert.

I fear a note/buliten to TA's may not be enough, the ACC UK team need to be a bit more proactive and seek out those TA's that may be ignoring/failing to action the request to remove All inclusive from all references to Azamara.

A quick search finds the following which still reference All inclusive.

( missed the cruise1st one on my initial scan which his ownd by RCCL so should be getting it right link at the end.)

(feel free to have the post/links deleted once you have the links since this will be against the normal rules)

http://www.cruiseinstyle.co.uk/azamara-club-cruises.phtml

http://ultracruises.co.uk/Destinations/Far-East/6-Star-All-Inclusive-Christmas-New-Year-Far-East-Cruise.html

http://www.sixstarcruises.co.uk/luxury-cruise/azamara-cruises/?gclid=CJGJneHxtbcCFbMftAodNh4ApQ

http://www.planetcruise.co.uk/azamara-cruises/journey/dubai-and-emirates/26-oct-2013/17-nights/123198/

(loads more on this site)

http://www.cruisetraders.com/azamaraoffers.html

http://www.cruise1st.co.uk/azamara_cruises.phtml

Edited by insidecabin

You are right UKTOG. I booked with that RCI group company after seeing a large ad in The Daily Telegraph. It was headed in very large letters "ALL INCLUSIVE". So Azamara can't really criticise the independents. But also in the ad that I saw it was made clear that the included offering is "select standard spirits, international beers & wines". So we knew that some premium brands would involve a supplementary charge. What Azamara needs to ensure is that the prices for premium drinks fairly reflect the fact that the drinker is forgoing a "free" drink that he or she has already paid for. I don't think they've got that right yet. For example, if you look at the wine package, it boasts that the purchase of a multi-bottle package represents a saving against the list price of $50 per bottle - but what about a credit for the free drink not consumed?

Thanks bill.

As uktog says the problem seems more widespread than an isolated newspaper advert.

I fear a note/buliten to TA's may not be enough, the ACC UK team need to be a bit more proactive and seek out those TA's that may be ignoring/failing to action the request to remove All inclusive from all references to Azamara.

( missed the cruise1st one on my initial scan which his ownd by RCCL so should be getting it right link at the end.)

(feel free to have the post/links deleted once you have the links since this will be against the normal rules)

http://ultracruises.co.uk/Destinations/Far-East/6-Star-All-Inclusive-Christmas-New-Year-Far-East-Cruise.html

http://www.sixstarcruises.co.uk/luxury-cruise/azamara-cruises/?gclid=CJGJneHxtbcCFbMftAodNh4ApQ

http://www.planetcruise.co.uk/azamara-cruises/journey/dubai-and-emirates/26-oct-2013/17-nights/123198/

That sure does say "All Inclusive". I hope we do not have unhappy Brits onboard our cruise.

Azamara marketing is messed up. I have been saying it for the past several years. But Larry never makes any changes.

This is just one Ad from the first link and "All inclusive" is repeated 5 times. Of course they also say to ask for details...

"All Inclusive Azamara Club Cruises

All Inclusive Azamara Cruises sailing to unique destinations, with overnight stays & time to explore! Book a luxury small ship cruise with Azamara Club Cruises. Find out more about Azamara Club Cruises below as well as viewing our special cruise deals.

Azamara Cruises - You'll love where we take you

Azamara Club Cruises, the difference between visiting a destination and truly experiencing it. See whats included and the true value of an all inclusive Azamara luxury cruise below.

All Inclusive from Spring 2013 (ask for details)

Service charges for housekeeping, dining and bar staff

Bottled water, soft drinks, speciality coffees and teas

Selected wines, beers and spirits

English butler service for suite guests

Shuttle service to and from ports, where available

Azamara Club Cruises

Azamara Ships

Azamara Video

Special Offers

Azamara Club Cruises All Inclusive*

The difference between visiting a destination and truly experiencing it.

Azamara Club Cruises is All Inclusive from Spring 2013"

Edited by Jade13

Thanks bill.

I spoke with one of the T A's Insidecabin lists yesterday and was staggered at the woman's lack of knowledge generally.

When I informed her that I had just left the Quest on May 16 and that the offerings were 'More Inclusive' not 'All Inclusive' she told me I was wrong!

Needless to say, we had a wonderful cruise on Quest, the complimentary drinks choices were more than enjoyable and plentiful and this morning we have booked a further Quest cruise for October.

However, this issue does need to be addressed and quickly. Newbies to Quest not unnaturally may be expecting more and the company has to be proactive in managing potential disappointment

That sure does say "All Inclusive". I hope we do not have unhappy Brits onboard our cruise.

I fear you will Jade, coupled to the fact these agencies encourage guests to download shore ex brochures at the earliest opportunity and unless things change, some of them are going to be in for a nasty shock on the pricing of their excursions in addition to the price of the drinks

From what I saw of the pricing on the "pay for" drinks using Lotties very helpful links on the other thread, they have allowed for the fact you are forgoing a free drink - if I compare the cost of these products to the cost on Celebrity, the price for say a proper Scotch is very fair

From what I saw of the pricing on the "pay for" drinks using Lotties very helpful links on the other thread, they have allowed for the fact you are forgoing a free drink - if I compare the cost of these products to the cost on Celebrity, the price for say a proper Scotch is very fair

The prices were reasonable before the change, without looking I can't say if they have gone down again to reflect that now more is included.

Found this from Avoya Travel, based in America and selling Azamara cruises:

"Enjoy inclusive value such as included spirits, international beers and wine."

That seems fairly plain to me - no caveats.

As they have been put on notice by Azamara, the agencies would not look good if a Trading Standards complaint was raised, but of course Azamara would get collateral damage if that hit the press or Ms Robinsons acidic watchdog tongue

BBC's Watchdog programme is aware of this matter, but it would seem that they have much bigger fish to fry.

I'm staggered that some posters don't understand why this has upset some of us. It it is quite plain and surely the answer would be to make sure that any UK cruisers affected by this are given all their drinks foc and only charged extra for spa and speciality restaurants. :D

Don't mean to go OT, but I know someone who uses that agency. They are Azamara's preferred vendor and my friend has had problems, not happy and looking for another agency.

Edited by Jade13

I fear you will Jade, coupled to the fact these agencies encourage guests to download shore ex brochures at the earliest opportunity and unless things change, some of them are going to be in for a nasty shock on the pricing of their excursions in addition to the price of the drinks

It won't affect us as my DH does not drink alcohol and I drink very little, perhaps one drink at dinner. Unfortunately my preferred drinks of choice are not offered and they are not expensive (Champagne - really sparkling wine as lower end option, Pino Grigio, and Baileys Irish Cream, as well as Sparkling water besides Club Soda.

On the other hand I hate to be around disgruntled passengers on my vacation.

From a marketing point of view Azamara should have just made a list and posted those drinks (on the Ads with a "subject to change depending on availability").

I'm staggered that some posters don't understand why this has upset some of us. It it is quite plain and surely the answer would be to make sure that any UK cruisers affected by this are given all their drinks foc and only charged extra for spa and speciality restaurants. :D

I thought Oliveau was agreeing with you that Ads even in the US were saying "inclusive". I didn't read the post the same way you have but maybe I misunderstood?

I thought Oliveau was agreeing with you that Ads even in the US were saying "inclusive". I didn't read the post the same way you have but maybe I misunderstood?

I believe Oliveau was pointing out that Avoya's ad doesn't use the word ALL.

But I don't think that's who Tim meant. If I were going to be cruising with Tim, I'd buy him a Maker's Mark so I wouldn't have to drink alone. :D

Edited by May B

BBC's Watchdog programme is aware of this matter, but it would seem that they have much bigger fish to fry.

If BBC's Watchdog programme have got hold of this story, then there is no doubt Trading Standards have been made aware of it as well.

BBC's Watchdog moves very slow, as it is a research driven programme. I'm just envisaging Mrs Robinson grilling Jo Rzymowska (RCCL GM for UK and Ireland)