New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

Hi

possibly one for Bill, unless this has been asked before.

Is the mini bar included? If the mini bar was stocked with only complementary alcohol then it could be included and would add to the more inclusive elements.

If you purchase a package, is the mini bar included?

If not, what is in the mini bar and what are the prices.

It seems to me that requesting one drink to be delivered is just adding to what will already be a busy time for the crew.

Thanks in advance

Edited by HudandPug

I think you can assume the minibar is not included, it only mentions on the FAQ that package holders can have the premium brands (not the complimentary ones) on room service.

Certainly this fits in with the package rules applied on Celebrity where minibars are not included. I think logistically it would be a nightmare to include them especially to differentiate who has what packages.

The mini bar had a range of standard brand miniatures (a lot of brands do not bottle in miniatures) , a half bottle of bubbles and some wine - I do not recall the actual Azamara prices but I do remember thinking, if I need a drink that much, I will walk downstairs and get it so there must have been quite a mark up over the bar prices

That last comment is nearly as funny as Bud being an international beer and having to pay for Malibu!

ok the oversight(I was refering to the M&M) has been covered.

Taking it one stage further.

One needs to try to keep open minds about what's out there.

Be prepared to walk and take your cruise $ to the line offering best value for you.

One other thing that NCL does well is Suite life and the ship within a ship concept of the Haven and the Garden villa 3bedroom complex..

When assessing value you need to look at what your money can buy on other lines, for similar money to ACC(or similar) you can on some itineraries get a courtyard villa or even with a group the garden villa.

It won't be for everyone and it works the other way those that like the suite life on NCL and other lines should look at the boutique offereings of ACC and others.

As your spend in $pppd climbs you open up options

as well as better cabins on lesser ships you can also look the other way, as much as they hate discounting some of the 6* have had to and get into the prices range of an ACC cruise.

Plenty of seabourn cruise come in the ACC/Oeania price range and sometimes some of the others but not seen a Regent go down that far.

The issue seems to be ACC does not know what it wants to be and keeps changing things, people don't know what they ae getting.

I think I need to go back and read through the chat with the boss from last year, we were on a cruise at the time so missed most of it, to see if there is a vision.

Very good point about stepping out of one's comfort zone!

My wife and I started with Princess, as they were convenient for the family, leaving from our home-port of Southampton, so no expensive flights. We stayed loyal to Princess, wanting to move higher up the Captain's Club ratings, but then switched to Carnival as they were much cheaper.

Last year we saw an offer for Regent and thought we'd dip into the luxury market, thinking it would be just an experiment. Now we have voyages on Seabourn, Azamara and Princess to look forward to.

I think it vital to try other lines, as one doesn't otherwise have and comparison. However, if finding a product that ticks all the boxes, stay put.

I wonder if cruise-lines are currently doing enough to keep pax loyalty?

It will be interesting to read some reviews of the latest Az cruises, to see if the latest changes work.

I wonder if cruise-lines are currently doing enough to keep pax loyalty?

The problem with loyalty perks is they are often hard to scale.

if a cruise has loads of top end repeaters the benifit gets diluted.

things like priority XXX only work when numbers are limited.

RCI has issues with the free booze perk, it turns transatlantics into Crown and anchor diamond booze cruises.

Get the product right and people will keep coming back anyway and the perks become a bonus not a deal breaker.

One thing I do like is the transferable status across RCCL brands that way you can access a wider range of options and still keep the hard earned benifits.

P&O/Princess also combine.

Well our only complaint about the new policy whilst we are onboard at the moment is that they keep pouring too much wine:)

We have been very happy with the quality of the wine, which does seem to be one red, one white one rose per day as much as you can take!

The cocktails are hand poured so very healthy measures and again, the staff are diligent about refilling your glass.

There seems to be no confusion and no fuss. Oh and the sun is shining now too!!

Well our only complaint about the new policy whilst we are onboard at the moment is that they keep pouring too much wine:)

We have been very happy with the quality of the wine, which does seem to be one red, one white one rose per day as much as you can take!

The cocktails are hand poured so very healthy measures and again, the staff are diligent about refilling your glass.

Where is the "like" button on CC? Glad you are enjoying your cruise!

Edited by MizzLee
punctuation!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying ypur cruise and the sun is shining!

It is also good to hear that some things on Azamara never change. We always found the pours to be very generous and the quality of the wine excellent.

Fantastic news, what we all expected or hoped for. I have been challenged with the generous wine pours and top ups on Azamara, looks like I am going to have an equal challenge with the cocktails! ;)

(And before anyone posts, if you look back to my previous trip reports I highlighted how sometimes I had to indicate to a server, no more for me thanks aka like my fellow Azamara cruisers, my focus is on enjoyment and being fit enough to enjoy the next days location, not on how much of your "free" drink can I get down my neck )

Thank you for your positive on-the-spot report. Nice to read from the frontlines that the sky has not fallen now that drinks are included on Azamara.:)

Edited by CintiPam

Yes wines are available at the bars , still warm but no sun today!

Happy Easter! Cheers all!

And happy Easter to you. :)

Can I ask about the wines? If you do not like the selection for the day can you request one of the other included wines instead?

Before the change you could choose to purchase [at half price] another wine from a list of available wines - is this still the case?

Enjoy your cruise.

After reading the posts about the wine, I am disappointed.

I am not a big drinker. I don't care about the new included alcohol. If there were no free wine offered at lunch or dinner I really would not care. I am happy to purchase a glass or a bottle (more likely at dinner). But when I DO drink wine, I want to drink a wine I like -- and here I am not talking about vintage or price -- rather wine type. I am ABC -- anything but cabernet or chardonnay. That means on the days when only a Cab or Chardonnay are available I am out of luck. I prefer Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio for white and Shiraz, Chianti Classico or Montepulciano for red. None of these wines is expensive. All are pretty basic offerings (maybe not the Montepulciano).

Is it a big deal? No. But if Azamara wants to be "bespoke" and somewhat "inclusive" what does it cost to offer a few different included (inexpensive) wines daily? Certainly if they want to appeal to a more upscale crowd, a choice is in order. To me the included wine is a substitute for purchasing a glass and when you purchase a glass on any ship, you have a choice, albeit a limited choice.

It's like putting only one type of beer on the free list. You will drink Bud or nothing. I don't think that floats most people's boat.

Will it spoil my cruise? Of course not. But I think they should rethink the policy.

Try asking for something you liked from a previous day. Always worked for us in all the dining rooms.

Did you ever ask for something different from Day 1? It would be interesting to know what would happen (or what did happen under the "old" rules) if the wines for the first day were a Cabernet and a Chardonnay. Could you ask if they're pouring any other reds or white on that first day?

I am not a big drinker. I don't care about the new included alcohol. If there were no free wine offered at lunch or dinner I really would not care. I am happy to purchase a glass or a bottle (more likely at dinner). But when I DO drink wine, I want to drink a wine I like -- and here I am not talking about vintage or price -- rather wine type. I am ABC -- anything but cabernet or chardonnay. That means on the days when only a Cab or Chardonnay are available I am out of luck. I prefer Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio for white and Shiraz, Chianti Classico or Montepulciano for red. None of these wines is expensive. All are pretty basic offerings (maybe not the Montepulciano).

Just a bit of perspective. Personally I think the daily wine selection is very good. Never had a problem. If you have read this board for a while you will see that most posts about the subject are very complimentary about the free wine. It's good quality stuff and very drinkable. The servers are also very generous at pouring it. My travelling companion is a great wine drinker and she has never had an issue. If you really aren't happy with an offering for a particular day have a friendly and polite word with the server and see if there is anything he or she can do. In my mind you are making WAY more of it than is deserved.

Phil

I am not making ANYTHING of it.

I am making an observation.

What your friend likes to drink and his satisfaction with the wine is all well and good. I am thrilled for him. I don't want to drink "good quality cabernet" or "good quality chardonnay." That is my point.

I know what I like to drink and apparently it will not be on the menu unless I try to make an exception. That is the policy. I do not care for it.

I think this is all getting rather silly and, dare I say it, somewhat snobbish.

Whilst I have yet to experience the new system, I have sailed with Azamara a number of times. I have never had a problem getting one of the wines on the included list, whatever the wine of the day might be. That includes the first day of a cruise. If you don't want Cabernet, Chardonnay or, in my case, American wines (I find them overblown) then just ASK. I have never been refused and, in some cases staff have gone to a great deal of trouble to track down a chilled bottle of the white I requested. I would point out that I have always done this discretely and politely and never demanding. It works wonders.

Whilst I have yet to experience the new system, I have sailed with Azamara a number of times. I have never had a problem getting one of the wines on the included list, whatever the wine of the day might be. That includes the first day of a cruise.

Thanks, that's what I assumed, but I wanted to hear someone knowledgeable say so. Incidentally, that's the same way it works on Regent; they likewise have a "wine of the day." If you don't like it, you may discretely ask if they're pouring anything else, and they'll see what is on the upcoming or past "wine of the day" list that you might like.:D

I think this is all getting rather silly and, dare I say it, somewhat snobbish.

Whilst I have yet to experience the new system, I have sailed with Azamara a number of times. I have never had a problem getting one of the wines on the included list, whatever the wine of the day might be. That includes the first day of a cruise. If you don't want Cabernet, Chardonnay or, in my case, American wines (I find them overblown) then just ASK. I have never been refused and, in some cases staff have gone to a great deal of trouble to track down a chilled bottle of the white I requested. I would point out that I have always done this discretely and politely and never demanding. It works wonders.

I totally agree. I loathe Chardonnay but have never had any problems getting the wine from a previous day (the NZ SB being my wine of choice). Some people appear to be making mountains out of mole hills and trying to find fault and issues where there are none.

Happy Easter.:)

Here's something we agree on. Try asking for something you liked from a previous day. Always worked for us in all the dining rooms. Can't say if they can do it at a bar, but it's worth trying.

Hi Marinaro44,

That's a good point. We've seen numerous reports where guests were able to obtain a favorite wine from a previous day. I'm unable to confirm whether this remains the case... but as I always say - "It never hurts to ask" :)

I hope this helps !