New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

[T]he UK Azamara cruises were marketed and sold . . . as 'all inclusive' and they are not 'all inclusive' as per industry standard (Regent etc etc).

Perhaps finally a regulation or some benchmark we can apply? I am not familiar with a US industry standard or definition of "all inclusive," but do I take it there is such a standard in Great Britain? Can you provide a link or quote the standard?

UKTOG,

I just became aware of this post. We are on the Quest next week.

In that case, you are on the new system, look at the list on the very first post in this thread by Bill, you have a much wider choice that includes gin, vodka, some cocktails as well as wine. This long thread is because there is a lot of debates about the brands that are included for free and some issues on terminology used to market cruises in the UK - however if you are not brand sensitive, you have a significant list to choose from, all free of charge

Have a wonderful trip on Quest

Just for the record, my wife doesn't see what all the fuss is about and worries that we'll get down-graded, if I complain too much, but I told her Bill is a friend of mine, rather like John Heald of Carnival!

If we meet you onboard, my wife is a lovely, friendly lady! :)

I am finding it rather upsetting that we are sniping at each other.

However Norn Iron is correct, the reason Brits are cross is because it appears that Azamara is being marketed here differently from the U.S.

While we were not expecting absolutely everything to be included, I think most people assumed a broader range of brands would be offered under the all inclusive banner.

IMO Azamara shoreside have behaved poorly and unprofessionally. All of this should have been announced weeks ago not mere days before 'all inclusive' is launched on the Quest.

That being said I am not going to allow this hoo hah to spoil the anticipation of my upcoming May cruise because the on board experience is as far from the shambles that is shoreside as it is possible to be.

I hope that those who have not yet sailed with the line will soon experience for themselves why Azamara is so special.

You are Absoluty correct! Why they waited 1 week, and still Not clear, what it's going to be..Hell when I first sailed with them a couple years ago I was wondering what they Really wanted to be as a Cruise Line...Comp wine with lunch and dinner, gratuities, how ever I did not like when you went to the specialtie resturants and the bat for a drink they had a line to add a tip. Did not care for that. But as you said, The service is Top notch and love when you get back on the ship they say " welcome home" everytime!

Perhaps finally a regulation or some benchmark we can apply? I am not familiar with a US industry standard or definition of "all inclusive," but do I take it there is such a standard in Great Britain? Can you provide a link or quote the standard?

I'm not sure there is a standard. Personally my interpretation of "all inclusive" is more about what isn't included rather than what is and my expectation from the very beginning was pretty much as has been announced. No real surprises. I am trying to maintain a bit of common sense. Why would Azamara include all alcohol including more expensive brands at the prices they are charging for cruises? Notwithstanding that for some there are omissions (and the premise that you can't please everyone) I think it is a very good list that includes liquor that can be mixed for some of the more popular cocktails. I really don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

Phil

Ignoring all the various arguments and side issues, etc ( and any tetchiness which is creeping, unbidden, into the thread ) and purely to clarify the situation with regard to the origins of the "All Inclusive " debate I suggest a visit to the AzamaraCruiseClubUK site. Click on News and Offers and then click on Cruise Deals and there you will find chapter and verse.

I do hope this all sorts out soon. We are quite sure that our cruise will not be one jot less enjoyable whatever the outcome. We have met so many super people on cruises, both guests and crew, and look forward to our jaunt from Monte Carlo with unalloyed anticipation.

This long thread is because there is a lot of debates about the brands that are included for free and some issues on terminology used to market cruises in the UK - however if you are not brand sensitive, you have a significant list to choose from, all free of charge

Well, that's not true for many of us. The issue is not so much whether this brand or that is included or not included, it's that the roll-out does not come close to matching the hype we were fed at the time of the big November announcement.

If you remember, this was called--in all caps--"AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT." Forty-two lines of hype were devoted to the Azamazing Evening, which could just as easily have been described as "an included evening shore excursion for 694 people" in one or two sentences. Those forty-two lines were followed by an approximately equal number of lines explaining terms and conditions for the included evening shore excursion for 694 people.

Then came part two of the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: "Expansion of Complimentary Beverages - Addition of standard spirits, wines and international beers." This was touted as "deliver[ing] more value to our guests. Also, it is a common offering in the up-market and luxury sectors of our industry." That last sentence clearly implies that the complimentary beverages would be in some way comparable with what one can imbibe on ships in the "up-market and luxury sectors" of the cruise industry. Does anyone think in any way Bud, Bud Light, and Beck's comes close to the list of beers available on, say, the "luxury" cruise line Regent? Or Cutty Sark? Larry Pimentel used the term "up-market" to describe where he wanted to position Azamara. Bill Leiber used "up-market" as well in the title of the thread where he made the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. Does anyone really think the brands included in the spirits package are "up-market?"

Oh, and the third part of the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT, buried at the bottom of the posting, told us that "fares will be increasing on November 1, 2012." So, for those Azamara fans here, parts one and two, now that we've seen what they really are, have turned out to be decidedly underwhelming, while part three--the fare increase--has exceeded its billing.

There is the concern. The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT has proved to be a BIG DUD for many of us. The included spirits, wine, and beer come nowhere close to the "up-market and luxury" lines as referenced in the announcement--or Pimentel's "up-market" cruise line category, the included evening shore excursion seems to conflict in schedule with many of the more desirable shore excursions and many of us are not keen on touring with a ship-full of fellow passengers, but the fare increase can only be described as...well...BIG, and clearly "up-market."

Bottom-line is that the reality has not come close to the hype. If Azamara claims to be going "up-market," and are going to charge us "up-market" fares, then they owe it to us to make good on that claim. The spirits package doesn't even come close.That's what people are griping about.

Now, having said all that, I fully intend to enjoy my back-to-back Quest cruises in November. Despite my concerns with how Azamara senior management has handled this whole "up-market" business, I expect the on-board experience to be as good as ever, and that's as good as I've experienced on any cruise line, including Regent. I just wish Azamara would either stop with all the hype and just talk straight with us, or decide in the end to make good on what they hype.

Edited by marinaro44

Ignoring all the various arguments and side issues, etc ( and any tetchiness which is creeping, unbidden, into the thread ) and purely to clarify the situation with regard to the origins of the "All Inclusive " debate I suggest a visit to the AzamaraCruiseClubUK site. Click on News and Offers and then click on Cruise Deals and there you will find chapter and verse.

I do hope this all sorts out soon. We are quite sure that our cruise will not be one jot less enjoyable whatever the outcome. We have met so many super people on cruises, both guests and crew, and look forward to our jaunt from Monte Carlo with unalloyed anticipation.

I can't see anything new there.:confused:

It may be 'appalling' but it's all rather good fun ! Very entertaining thread and I guess it gives us all something to read whilst waiting for our various cruises. I must say I have looked carefully at some members list of upcoming cruises just in case I should go incognito !

I am on the same cruise as English Tim and I can't wait to meet his lovely, friendly and obviously eminently sensible wife.

I have every confidence we will have fabulous cruises and relax into the Azamara ambience once on board perhaps helped along by a glass or two of something or other included in the price.

Hello Azamara Inclusive Beverage Followers -

I've learned that we expect to have the complete 2013 Inclusive Beverage program details added to our website much later today or early tomorrow morning. On the "Plan Your Voyage" tab under the "Already Booked" section, there will be a new tab called the "Inclusive and Value-Priced Beverage Packages."

Here you will find more program details that hopefully will provide you with more confidence about the variety of offerings that will be available. You will find the listing of US Domestic Beers, International Beers, and Non-Alcoholic Beers. Also, the wine package pricing will be included.

Its 08:28 am here in Spain and there is still nothing on the website. Our train to Seville to board Quest leaves at 10.00 am so I have given up seeing this before we leave. As I said in an earlier posting I hope there is something in writing available on board.

On a lighter note, after weeks of bad weather and a night of torrential rain here in Spain the sun has finally found its way through the clouds. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Regardless of the weather or the "all inclusive" issue we are going to have a great cruise

Bernipops :):):)

Well, that's not true for many of us. The issue is not so much whether this brand or that is included or not included, it's that the roll-out does not come close to matching the hype we were fed at the time of the big

[/left]

Thank you Marinaro44 for your lengthy interjection. I would however highlight my comments were not in relation to the ongoing debate about what some believe should or should not be the drinks package contents following announcements and subsequent adverts but in response to a query from a board member in relation to a specific question, the answer to which remains if you are not brand sensitive, you will find included items. To help readers understand that I was responded to a query, I had made use of the quotes function.

The arguments you and others keep re churning ad nauseam, we have heard them, but is it not now a case of less is more, for that reason several of you may find many readers have all your posts on ignore because of this.

Bill has already said they are collating the feedback, will things change, who knows but one thing is for sure, these boards are no longer the place of reason where cruisers can ask questions and get a response not a rant.

Sorry but this had to be said, I currently have friends new to Azamara and relatively new to cruising. I would not recommend they come by the Azamara board at present as I do not want them to see all this sniping and re churning of arguments, even when it is not relevant to the posts in question. I want them to discover the fellow guests of Azamara as they are on board and not as they are behaving here.

It may be 'appalling' but it's all rather good fun ! Very entertaining thread and I guess it gives us all something to read whilst waiting for our various cruises. I must say I have looked carefully at some members list of upcoming cruises just in case I should go incognito !

I am on the same cruise as English Tim and I can't wait to meet his lovely, friendly and obviously eminently sensible wife.

I have every confidence we will have fabulous cruises and relax into the Azamara ambience once on board perhaps helped along by a glass or two of something or other included in the price.

We also look forward to meeting you and I'm sure you're also lovely. :)

Have a lovely cruise Bernipops. Here in the UK, it's unseasonably freezing and some areas have had massive snow drifts, so we all look forward to some warm sunshine, which will hopefully be included in the Azamara package. ;)

I used to use the ignore facility, but that makes it very difficult to follow threads effectively.

I have been a CC member for many years and have learned much valuable information. Of course, people will disagree but I hope CC remains as a valuable library and also a place where we can discuss the good and bad (if there is any bad) of cruising, which for me, so enhances the pre and post cruise experience.

Of course, if I am on ignore, you won't see this reasoned post.;)

Will you impose a red for "simulation" if I personally pretend to be astounded that not all drinks aboard, including "premium", are covered by "inclusive" or "all inclusive"?

As long as you don't take your shirt off in celebration, which would be highly inappropriate and would of course merit taking your name!

I need a new notebook I have taken so many names! :eek:

There are still 3 cruises with the Journey, where we are under the old drinks packages. Emails to Azamara have had no response so I ask for the 3rd time of

CC cruises who have sailed with Azamara and who have used or investigated their drinks packages............

We are on the Journey in April - prior to the cruises with the inclusive drinks. If I were to purchase a classic drinks package, would that be similar to the list Mr Lieber posted above? Also the classic package says all beer brands, is that only the 3 mentioned above or the 26 brands offered in the beer package?

It also said on Mr Liebers post that we can look on the website to find out what beers are in a beer package, and go to a FAQ section, but I can not seem to find them anywhere. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Answers to my questions will help determine whether we purchase packages or not.:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a worry that once the new information goes up on the website, there will be no referrence to what is available for the last 3 cruises.

The website tells you what you get in the Classic and Premium package which is currently in operation. :confused:

Hello Azamara Inclusive Beverage Followers -

I've learned that we expect to have the complete 2013 Inclusive Beverage program details added to our website much later today or early tomorrow morning. On the "Plan Your Voyage" tab under the "Already Booked" section, there will be a new tab called the "Inclusive and Value-Priced Beverage Packages."

Its 08:28 am here in Spain and there is still nothing on the website. Our train to Seville to board Quest leaves at 10.00 am so I have given up seeing this before we leave. As I said in an earlier posting I hope there is something in writing available on board.

Bernipops :):):)

Maybe you'll be able to give us more information on the "All/More inclusive"

even before it appears on the website :)

In any case: Enjoy your cruise !

Have a lovely cruise Bernipops. Here in the UK, it's unseasonably freezing and some areas have had massive snow drifts, so we all look forward to some warm sunshine, which will hopefully be included in the Azamara package. ;)

Tim,

I'm afraid sunshine is not included within your cruise package. However Azamara are introducing the new Premium Sunshine package which will be available at a daily cost of $50 per guest. If you wish to sign up for this, please do so once onboard by slipping 50 bucks under my stateroom door*

*This package is not gauranteed but be assured that Azamara Club Cruises will try to supply this as stated. Please also note the brand of sun supplied may not be your preferred i.e. if your favourite is a toasty 85 degs Hawaiian September you may be disappointed to receive a lukewarm 50 degs Grimsby July.

Tim,

I'm afraid sunshine is not included within your cruise package. However Azamara are introducing the new Premium Sunshine package which will be available at a daily cost of $50 per guest. If you wish to sign up for this, please do so once onboard by slipping 50 bucks under my stateroom door*

*This package is not gauranteed but be assured that Azamara Club Cruises will try to supply this as stated. Please also note the brand of sun supplied may not be your preferred i.e. if your favourite is a toasty 85 degs Hawaiian September you may be disappointed to receive a lukewarm 50 degs Grimsby July.

:):):)

Tim,

Loved your post which made me laugh on yet another sub zero UK spring day.

We Brits may complain now and then but we retain an unsurpassed sense of humour.

And Bernipops, have a wonderful cruise