New 2013 inclusive beverage program details

Bill Leiber

My intention was to show that Avoya in the States are indicating that spirits are inclusive, rather than saying 'some spirits'.

I will be happy if AZ include all drinks that were previously available on the Standard drinks package - ie decent spirits, but not top shelf and the full range of beers.

On balance I think I'd rather do without the "all-inclusive" and stick to the old Drinks Packages.

Other than that, Az might consider sticking to Bud etc for cruises carrying mainly our Colonial Cousins, but once the ships are Europe based in the summer switching to European beers - I'd be happy with Carlsberg or Heineken and I can't think there's a massive price difference with RCL's buying power.

What Az do need to do however is to stop hiding behind "When we said all-inclusive we actually meant more inclusive." You have cocked up guys and there are an awful lot of unhappy customers out here, so sort it out and put and end to it!

Edited by oliveau

Interestingly, very few people post on CC, so really only Az and possibly TA's know the level of unhappiness or otherwise, about the new programs. I wonder if we'll ever have any real idea, apart from when we are on our cruises?

If BBC's Watchdog programme have got hold of this story, then there is no doubt Trading Standards have been made aware of it as well.

BBC's Watchdog moves very slow, as it is a research driven programme. I'm just envisaging Mrs Robinson grilling Jo Rzymowska (RCCL GM for UK and Ireland)

I very much doubt this will get on Watchdog

It's target audience is the undertroden not the relatively weathy that can afford ACC in the first place..

Unless they find a granny that has saved for years for the cruise of a lifetime and has been disapointed by the more inclusive choices not including a top shelf brandy or balies or an advocaat I think it will be a non starter

The drinks lists are on ACC web site

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/onboard-packages/frequently-asked-questions.

Unless you are happy with the basics then the $12.95pppd is required to get into some decent stuff or PAYG.

One might asume thta if you pay the upgrade you get the upgraded cocktails as well(anyone know)

Other than that, Az might consider sticking to Bud etc for cruises carrying mainly our Colonial Cousins, but once the ships are Europe based in the summer switching to European beers - I'd be happy with Carlsberg or Heineken and I can't think there's a massive price difference with RCL's buying power.

The problem with the beer options is bud, calrlberg and heineken are all in the toilet water catagory

get something decent on the list.

I very much doubt this will get on Watchdog

It's target audience is the undertroden not the relatively weathy that can afford ACC in the first place..

Unless they find a granny that has saved for years for the cruise of a lifetime and has been disapointed by the more inclusive choices not including a top shelf brandy or balies or an advocaat I think it will be a non starter

The drinks lists are on ACC web site

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/onboard-packages/frequently-asked-questions.

Unless you are happy with the basics then the $12.95pppd is required to get into some decent stuff or PAYG.

One might asume thta if you pay the upgrade you get the upgraded cocktails as well(anyone know)

It would give me no pleasure to this saga on Watchdog, in fact it would be embarrassing, however I do see this rumbling on!

Interestingly, very few people post on CC, so really only Az and possibly TA's know the level of unhappiness or otherwise, about the new programs. I wonder if we'll ever have any real idea, apart from when we are on our cruises?

This is so true, whenever I mention CC to fellow travellers the response is usually a blank look.

A very large proportion of the cruising fraternity have no idea that these forums exist so that any information re cruise lines is gained from local TAs.

Being a Brit, I am sorry to read that there may be a number of unhappy Brits on Azamara now - all because of a drinks package which was not entirely clear. All inclusive is a term used by many hotels and holiday villages throughout the world but certainly does not mean that 'everything' is included. It is up to the customer to do his research before booking and ascertain what is included and what is not. Personally, I am surprised at the 'level of unhappiness' amongst the Brits. It really seems to me that it is the same few, rather than the many, who are complaining on Cruise Critic. What made our holiday so special for us last year - first time on Azamara - was the onboard experience. I truly hope that this is not spoilt by the few to the detriment of the many!

Being a Brit, I am sorry to read that there may be a number of unhappy Brits on Azamara now - all because of a drinks package which was not entirely clear. All inclusive is a term used by many hotels and holiday villages throughout the world but certainly does not mean that 'everything' is included. It is up to the customer to do his research before booking and ascertain what is included and what is not. Personally, I am surprised at the 'level of unhappiness' amongst the Brits. It really seems to me that it is the same few, rather than the many, who are complaining on Cruise Critic. What made our holiday so special for us last year - first time on Azamara - was the onboard experience. I truly hope that this is not spoilt by the few to the detriment of the many!

The same few are just that. There are only a small percentage of Azamara's pax on CC, but as forums are a way of discussing the good and the bad, this is why the subject has been so feverishly discussed.

Those of us who haven't yet been on board an Azamara ship, have only CC reviews and Az marketing on which to base their judgement, so the concern about what is and what isn't included, is bound to take centre-stage.

Maybe we'll all have wonderful cruises in which case we'll probably be back for more, knowing first-hand what to expect and some of us will then be reporting positively on CC.

Hi Tomtal,

We returned from the Quest on May 16 and there were only happy, smiling Brits on our cruise.

The complimentary drinks package had been introduced and included more than enough variety for me. On a couple of occasions when I wanted something not on the list, I bought it, no big deal.

The atmosphere on the ship is as special as it has always been.

Many of those whinging have not yet taken and hopefully enjoyed their first Az cruise. When they return I hope they may be more positive

It would give me no pleasure to this saga on Watchdog, in fact it would be embarrassing, however I do see this rumbling on!

I agree Norn Iron. Watchdog blow everything out of proportion. I'm sure this can be quietly sorted out with AZ - Bill is on the case. I wouldn't want to wash dirty linen in public, so whoever took it to Watchdog in the first place, please withdraw you complaint.

In reply to those that say "You should have found out what was included before you booked." Fine, but some of us are repeat Azamara customers who booked on the basis of highly satisfactory previous cruise/s. Bookings made after the "In 2013 we are going all-inclusive" announcement but before the drinks list had been released.

I'm sure this can be quietly sorted out with AZ - Bill is on the case.

I am not affected by this all inclusive market so can speak objectively

Azamara did make the adjustment when they altered the marketing from All inclusive to more inclusive and that is the extent of the changes they are making. Generally this was accepted and there has been no adverse posting from those coming back

Unfortunately, an alert poster found that a cruise agent was still selling these cruises in the UK as all inclusive and Bill indicated that all UK agents had been asked to remove such marketing by mid April

Now, this has reignited the whole issue as we have all found many examples of all inclusive marketing including from a subsidiary of RCI

Therefore, this has both annoyed previous all inclusive bookers who had been marginally placated by the previous changes and that is why some of the old arguments are reappearing,

Highly unlikely they would ever make it all inclusive for all British bookers just because of marketing errors which are now the errors of their agents IMHO

I am not affected by this all inclusive market so can speak objectively

Azamara did make the adjustment when they altered the marketing from All inclusive to more inclusive and that is the extent of the changes they are making. Generally this was accepted and there has been no adverse posting from those coming back

Unfortunately, an alert poster found that a cruise agent was still selling these cruises in the UK as all inclusive and Bill indicated that all UK agents had been asked to remove such marketing by mid April

Now, this has reignited the whole issue as we have all found many examples of all inclusive marketing including from a subsidiary of RCI

Therefore, this has both annoyed previous all inclusive bookers who had been marginally placated by the previous changes and that is why some of the old arguments are reappearing,

Highly unlikely they would ever make it all inclusive for all British bookers just because of marketing errors which are now the errors of their agents IMHO

Agree.

Perhaps these UK cruisers should go after their agents to purchase the premium package to make up for their false advertising.

Many of those whinging have not yet taken and hopefully enjoyed their first Az cruise. When they return I hope they may be more positive

You know, it's actually possible to be "positive" about Azamara while being "negative" about the abysmal way they've rolled out the so-called "standard spirits" program. People are not "whining" about it, they're telling you and Azamara exactly what they think about how Azamara has handled it: quite poorly, in fact. And they--and we--have every right to do that, and Azamara, if it listens, will benefit from the feedback.

Thanks bill.

As uktog says the problem seems more widespread than an isolated newspaper advert.

I fear a note/buliten to TA's may not be enough, the ACC UK team need to be a bit more proactive and seek out those TA's that may be ignoring/failing to action the request to remove All inclusive from all references to Azamara.....

Hello UKtog and Insidecabin -

Thanks for your time and effort in sharing your perspective on the potential dissatisfaction that we might face from the fact that UK travel companies are still promoting Azamara as "All-Inclusive." Also, the website list will be the target list for our sales management.

I have forwarded this information to our UK sales and marketing team.

I appreciate your efforts very much.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

• 3 weeks later...

I am VERY surprised that the 'more inclusive' list does not include one sparkling white in a day and age when this type of wine has become hugely popular.

That is short-sighted and ridiculous.

Personally, I do not think this will improve my cruise experince at all.

I may have an "included" drink at the pool on an at sea day, but there are no after dinner drinks.

I do not drink beer, so not any change there.

I have always enjoyed the included wine with lunch/dinner.

I very much enjoy a special coffee mid morning if we are at sea - is there still a "free" special coffee bar, or are we now limited to plain coffee or pay for fancy morning java??

I guess I will continue to purchase a liq if I want a nightcap. Do not see anything in that list that is an after dinner drink.

Only change I see, is an increase in pricing. making the ship less accesible to some.

Guess as costs go up, we have to think we are getting more for out increased costs.

Bill Leiber,

Please can you advise why Azamara continue to be short-sighted enough not to include any sparkling whites in the 'more inclusive' option?:mad:

This is an extremely dated approach.

Thanks

Personally, I do not think this will improve my cruise experince at all.

I may have an "included" drink at the pool on an at sea day, but there are no after dinner drinks.

I do not drink beer, so not any change there.

I have always enjoyed the included wine with lunch/dinner.

I very much enjoy a special coffee mid morning if we are at sea - is there still a "free" special coffee bar, or are we now limited to plain coffee or pay for fancy morning java??

I guess I will continue to purchase a liq if I want a nightcap. Do not see anything in that list that is an after dinner drink.

Only change I see, is an increase in pricing. making the ship less accesible to some.

Guess as costs go up, we have to think we are getting more for out increased costs.

Maybe I should defend Azamara on this one, or at least help you with things that I know about. There should be a drinks list attached. This was in our stateroom, when we boarded.

Speciality coffees are still available free in the Mosaic cafe.

Some liqueurs are available free, such as creme de menthe. The 'Grasshopper' is a very acceptable after dinner cocktail.

It maybe that the attachment is unreadable, so if anyone can help me to make it clearer, please do, as retyping it will take some time.

1814102970_Azamaradrinks.jpg.842c2a3d2b3021203701b9be4e392155.jpg

Maybe I should defend Azamara on this one, or at least help you with things that I know about. There should be a drinks list attached. This was in our stateroom, when we boarded.

Was that sheet really in your stateroom? It certainly wasn't in ours (the week before). So either someone slipped up with all our bits of paper or there was a change just after we left. The list of wines would have been useful.

Was that sheet really in your stateroom? It certainly wasn't in ours (the week before). So either someone slipped up with all our bits of paper or there was a change just after we left. The list of wines would have been useful.

The list of wines is only a guide, as they are subject to availability and alas our favourite - Zinfandel - wasn't in stock.

The Sauvignon Blanc seemed very popular.

Bill Leiber,

Please can you advise why Azamara continue to be short-sighted enough not to include any sparkling whites in the 'more inclusive' option?:mad:

This is an extremely dated approach.

Thanks

Hello Adurr1 and Other Readers -

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and disappointment about our not including at least one sparking whites in our more inclusive list.

As I mentioned before, as your ombudsman, I've been summarizing for our executive management team, Cruise Critic member comments and opinions about the complimentary program and the value-priced beverage packages.

The new program is actually a "work-in-progress" and will be fine-tuned as it unfolds on both our vessels. Our executive team will be evaluating and considering actual guest feedback and its impact on program improvement. This might explain why "English Tim" received a drinks list and "Zennor" did not the week prior.

I will follow-up with our hotel operations team to determine if any modifications are being considered or have been made. It may take me a few days to receive a response, so I'm thanking you in advance for your patience!

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Since the list of "free" cocktails on the ship's menu do not list the ingredients, future cruisers might find this list useful! At lease you will know whether you might like them or not.

Appletini

Vodka, Apple Juice, Cider, Vermouth(opt),Ice

Bay Breeze

Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Pineapple Juice, Ice

Bloody Mary

Vodka, Lemon Juice, Tomato Juice, Worc. Sauce, Ice

Blue Wave

Vodka, Blue Curacao, Lemon/Lime Soda, Lemon Wedge, Ice

Cape Cod

Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Ice,

Daiquiri

Rum, Lime, Liquer, Ice

Gibson

Gin, Vermouth (dry) Ice

Gimlet

Gin or Vodka, Lime Juice, Ice

Grasshopper

Cream, Crème de Cacao, Crème de Menthe, Ice

Greyhound

Vodka, Grapefruit Juice, Ice

Kamikaze

Vodka, Triple Sec, Lime Juice, Ice

Long Island Ice Tea

Gin, Vodka, Syrup, Tequilla, Cola, Lemon Juice, Contreau, Rum, Ice

Mai Tai

Curacao, Orange, Lime, Rum, Syrup, Ice

Manhattan

Bitters, Whisky, Vermouth, Ice

Marguerita

Tequila, Lemon Juice, Contreau, Ice

Martini

Gin, Vermouth, Ice

Old Fashioned

Bitters, Whisky, Sugar, Soda, Ice

Pina Colada

Crème de Coconut ,Pineapple, Rum and Ice

Planters Punch

Grenadine, Lemon, Rum, Ice

Rob Roy

Bitters, Vermouth, Whisky, Ice

Rum Runner

Rum, Blackberry Liqueur, Crème de Banana, Orange Juice, Ice

Salty Dog

Vodka, Grapefruit Juice, Ice, Salt Rim

Sea Breeze

Vodka, Cranberry Juice, Grapefruit Juice, Ice

Screwdriver

Vodka, Orange Juice, Ice

Tequilla Sunrise

Tequilla, Orange Juice, Grenadine, Ice

Tom Collins

Gin, Lemon Juice, Sugar, Soda Water, Ice

Vodka Stinger

Vodka, crème de menthe, Ice

Whisky Sour

Bourbon Whiskey, Lemon Juice, Sugar, (Egg white)

Zontini

Saki, Cranberry Juice, Triple Sec, Lime Juice, Ice

We have taken 2 recent Azamara cruises with the new more inclusive drinks and we didn't hear any "whingeing" at all or even see unhappy peoplel. We were all too busy having fun!

Am I correct in assuming that even if a drink is not on the included list, but the ingredients are, that drink would be included? I'm thinking of Kir (crime de cassis + white wine).... Anybody know for sure?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for all ingredients in the "free" drink list - seems like a good day at the beach!

I printed it, some I know, some I do not = may try them before my next cruise, so I do not get an oops drink I do not care for - or is there such a thing???

Am I correct in assuming that even if a drink is not on the included list, but the ingredients are, that drink would be included? I'm thinking of Kir (crime de cassis + white wine).... Anybody know for sure?

To my knowledge Kir is made with sparkling wine and sparkling wine is (strangely enough) not included.

But to answer your question, yes. There is a house vodka, house whiskey, house rum, house gin, etc. As long as you use the house version, you can get any cocktail for free.

Floris