Packing Tips

bostonian19

You will hear many suggestions on these boards. While a lot of it makes sense, most of the things are totally unnecessary. Some examples: a highlighter...I have never found the need to highlight the fun times; clothes pins...never had enough wet things to hang up to make them worth taking. The more of these things you pack, the more space they take up in your suitcase! Every person is different so like the previous poster said, think about if these suggestions would be necessary for you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

On most ships your luggage fits under the bed (in some instances you may need to leave it open to fit).

One thing that I won't be without is a mini-flashlight. If you have anything that needs to be charged you might want an extension cord as some ships have the outlets in a position that you can't get a charger to plug in. Depending on the ship, type of cabin, and your personal preferences some people like an over the door organizer.

Some ships do not have self-service laundries and some people don't want to spend their vacation washing clothes. All ships have a laundry service.

Have a great time!

If you place each outfit into a gallon sized zip lock, roll it up to squeeze all the air out, then zip it you can get WAY more items in a suitcase AND your clothes are organized by outfit.

Put your suitcases under the bed after you unpack for more cabin space.

You will have plenty of closet and drawer space in the room.

The issue is not the stateroom for us, but the 50 pound limit at the airport!

Where are you cruising? Alaska requires different stuff than the Caribbean. The essentials that I gleaned from CC and used are a binder clip to keep the drapes closed and extension outlets. Like Runner Girl states Mix+Match is the way to go --keep it simple.

If you place each outfit into a gallon sized zip lock, roll it up to squeeze all the air out, then zip it you can get WAY more items in a suitcase AND your clothes are organized by outfit.

Put your suitcases under the bed after you unpack for more cabin space.

You will have plenty of closet and drawer space in the room.

The issue is not the stateroom for us, but the 50 pound limit at the airport!

Hooboy, I don't think I could fit one shirt in a gallon zip lock, not to mention an entire outfit. Of course, being a guy, I don't think in terms of "outfits" so much as loading the luggage until I either run out of clothes or hit 50 pounds.

Some people make almost a competitive sport out of taking as little as possible and love to just have one carry on bag. Some people love knowing they have virtually anything they might possibly need right at their finger tips.

And most people are somewhere in between.

Plus, as has been said an Alaskan cruise requires a lot of different stuff from a Caribbean - and not just warmer clothes. For example, I take more bug spray when heading to southern climes.

So do search on the many packing tips threads but think about what would upset you more: Having to go down to the store on the ship (or on shore) and pay more than you would at home to buy something; or having a lot more clutter and "stuff" to carry with you and in your cabin.

As far as "in the cabin" tips, many cabins have more storage than people think - it's just not in the same configuration we're used to (1 closet, 1 dresser). There are cubby holes all over the cabin. The bigger problem is often remembering where you put something, or finding it in your various packing cases.

I tend to pack a lot of stuff in plastic bags for that reason.

We pack using packing "cubes", gallon or 2 gallon Ziplocks, and the closable plastic bags that items like sheets etc are packed in, then just transfer them to the shelves or drawers in the cabin. Keeps everyones "stuff" reasonably organized.

We pack using packing "cubes", gallon or 2 gallon Ziplocks, and the closable plastic bags that items like sheets etc are packed in, then just transfer them to the shelves or drawers in the cabin. Keeps everyones "stuff" reasonably organized.

What in the world would you pack sheets for?:eek: Maybe you meant "shirts".

Rarely bring full sizes of toiletries. Either buy travel sizes or decant into smaller containers. Just this morning repackaged some Vaseline and Neosporin into an old contact lens case.

If we are flying somewhere sunny I'll bring a small tube of sunscreen and buy more when we get there.

There are many threads on the Forum. Use Search Engine.

My advice is to pack light!

In the for what it's worth dept......

I never cruise without my Nook, Ipod, Ipad (we get free internet as we are Platinum on Princess, otherwise, I would not take it), binoculars,and corkscrew.

Don't get caught up with all of the stupid suggestions like cabin decorations, over the door thingy, walkie talkies, surge protectors, coolers, duct tape, pillows etc etc

Things to bring, not bring, luggage storing, tips on anything to make it easy once I get into my small room!

Trial size everything. If you can't find the trial size, repackage into small travel boxes and bottles.

We've found a battery-operated tea light makes a good nightlight for the bathroom so if you get up at night, you don't have to turn on the "real" light and wake yourself up.:)

If you're going to Alaska, binoculars, layers, gloves and a water-resistant jacket are necessary. Southern cruises obviously different clothing. We've taken bug wipes (not spray) all places and never had to use it, though.

I pack one of those collapsible open cubes to throw my pocket things, ship card and sunglasses in.....easy to find and things don't fall off the desk. Someone on CC said they make their own out of cardboard and then pitch it but mine came from the dollar store so....

Just this morning repackaged some Vaseline and Neosporin into an old contact lens case.

I like that idea for travel and backpacking. Instead of Vaseline will put in hydrocortisone cream.

I keep a variety of sizes of 1/2 ounce to 3 ounce containers and vials to repackage moisturizer, hair gel, hand sanitizer, etc. I use the hotel or ship provided shampoo/conditioner.

I pack one of those collapsible open cubes to throw my pocket things, ship card and sunglasses in.....easy to find and things don't fall off the desk. Someone on CC said they make their own out of cardboard and then pitch it but mine came from the dollar store so....

this idea I had not seen before.. great idea.. good way to corral all the stuff you toss on the table when you first come back to your room.:)

You will hear many suggestions on these boards. While a lot of it makes sense, most of the things are totally unnecessary. Some examples: a highlighter...I have never found the need to highlight the fun times; clothes pins...never had enough wet things to hang up to make them worth taking. The more of these things you pack, the more space they take up in your suitcase! Every person is different so like the previous poster said, think about if these suggestions would be necessary for you!

My two-cents, here. :) The wife and I have taken (usually two) spring safety pins here, not for hanging landry, but to pin stateroom curtins completely closed. It NEVER fails, no matter how tightly we close them or which side of the bed I'm on, in the mornings, BRIGHT sunlight is streaming into my eyes. LOL !! Soooo, hence the landry pins.

We've found a battery-operated tea light makes a good nightlight for the bathroom so if you get up at night, you don't have to turn on the "real" light and wake yourself up.:)

If you're going to Alaska, binoculars, layers, gloves and a water-resistant jacket are necessary. Southern cruises obviously different clothing. We've taken bug wipes (not spray) all places and never had to use it, though.

Great idea! My husband always has pocket stuff all over the desk.

Archived