Just booked our first suite!!

madera1

My DH just booked the 10 day Collectors cruise on the Zuiderdam in a suite. We got a CD corner aft cabin. I never thought we would stay in a suite and usually are in Verandah's. Would love to hear from those who have stayed in both categories. This will be our first collector's cruise and first time on this class of Holland ship.

My DH just booked the 10 day Collectors cruise on the Zuiderdam in a suite. We got a CD corner aft cabin. I never thought we would stay in a suite and usually are in Verandah's. Would love to hear from those who have stayed in both categories. This will be our first collector's cruise and first time on this class of Holland ship.

I may be missing it due to the renaming of some of the suites, but I cannot find a CD suite on the Zuiderdam (and I am on the HAL site now looking for a CD Suite).........Help??? What number and what cruise date?

Joanie

BIG MISTAKE! Once you stay in a HAL deluxe suite, you will not want to stay in a lower level cabin again.

Also, you mention a "CD" corner aft? Never heard of that category on HAL.

DaveOKC

We have cruised HAL in the past and always stay in an SY Catagory. The suites are great. If this is your first time in a HAL Suite, trust me you'll love it.

So excited that I typed the wrong category. Thanks for the heads up!! We have booked an SC 4158. It is in the corner so I hope it is one of those wrap decks that I have read about. We just were on the Veendam but in the smaller veranda suite in a corner room and our deck was large.

So excited that I typed the wrong category. Thanks for the heads up!! We have booked an SC 4158. It is in the corner so I hope it is one of those wrap decks that I have read about. We just were on the Veendam but in the smaller veranda suite in a corner room and our deck was large.

The collector's cruise is a combination of two cruises. In this case we depart Vancouver Sept 21 for the inside passage and then after we return to Vancouver we continue South to San Francisco which is just 3 hours from our home.

Enjoy the "suite life" :D We've been fortunate enough to have sailed in suites a couple of times (Thanks to the upsell fair :) ). We love the complimentary laundry and dry cleaning, and the Neptune Lounge. We also find that service overall is superior when you are in a suite.

On the other hand, DH and I do not care for breakfast in the Pinnacle.

The collector's cruise is a combination of two cruises. In this case we depart Vancouver Sept 21 for the inside passage and then after we return to Vancouver we continue South to San Francisco which is just 3 hours from our home.

We will be sailing the Inside Passage on the Zuiderdam on May 11th for two weeks in an aft wraparound SC. I will be posting the MDR daily menus and Explorers on my website as soon as I return. The current specialty menus are already posted.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/hal-western-caribbean-menus-and-explorer/

Our experience is that the aft wraparound cabins are the best. You can always move away from the wind or the sun. Your field of view is double a normal suite verandah. You get much more furniture, to include loungers. We have had up to 30 friends on our verandah for a sail away party.

What does "Collector" Cruise mean? Thanks!:)

As explained it is a combination of multiple single segment (aprox 2 weeks) cruises but booking the multi-segment cruise as a Collectors Cruise adds some perks, and I think even a small price break over each segment separately.

I suppose this also helps HAL when it comes time to assign cabins, because those on Collector Cruises most likely will want to stay in the same cabin throughout the whole Collectors Cruise.

HAL would then know more readily which other cabins are available for the single segments and which ones need to be held for the multi-segment passengers. However, who knows how final cabins get assigned. :eek:

Great - you have an SC - so you are in a Neptune (formerly Deluxe Verandah) Suite. You are going to love it.

First of all, the room is nearly twice the size of a standard verandah and there is no comparison to the verandah you will have here vs the standard verandah.

Take full advantage of your perks (and do review them). Free laundry, drycleaning and pressing, breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, access to the Neptune Lounge - great coffee machine, munchies, concierge, etc.

Looks like you have a wonderful location - enjoy the suite life:D

Got Ya now:) You are still so excited, and rightly so:) But you booked SC 4185 not SC 4158, no such stateroom as SC 4158 as an aft wrap:)

Anyway, I have photos and description of SC 4180 on Zuiderdam (Mirror image of SC 4185) Here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/Deck-4.html The photos are almost to the bottom of the page. You can click on each photo to see it full sized:)

Enjoy it!! To me, the Aft Wraps are The Penthouse of the ships, no matter what any one else thinks:)

Joanie

You will love the aft-wrap, especially on the Alaska portion of your cruise. The views are terrific and you get them from two directions. The wind can be a problem at times on the side of the balcony.

The only bad thing about a deck 4 aft is the distance to the Neptune Lounge and most of the rest of the ship, if you have mobility issues (like I do at times). It was a long walk for me, but my wife absolutely loved this cabin!

On the Coastal portion of your cruise, be prepared for some rough seas, which can be worse in an aft cabin than mid-ship. For some folks this is an issue, while for others it is not.

DaveOKC

You will love the aft-wrap, especially on the Alaska portion of your cruise. The views are terrific and you get them from two directions.
Yes, the views are terrific!:):)

The two below were taken at different times.

The Zuiderdam sails through the inland waterway and we were amazed

at how close we were to the shore. Keep your eyes open for wildlife.

Whales in the wake, bears on the shore, etc.

The Neptune Suites come with binoculars.:)

You'll have a great cruise.:D

STERN VIEW:

P1000202_0650.jpg

SIDE VIEW

LOOKAHEAD_0641.jpg

You'll love it. We had an SA on the Eurodam in 2010 for the Canada/New England itinerary. One of the perks we liked was priority tender disembarkation because it saved having to go get a tender ticket and then wait. We also enjoyed the laundry service and it was the first time we ever went home from a cruise with suitcases full of clean clothers. The Pinnacle breakfast was a nice quiet way to start out day and after a couple of days the staff there knew us and welcomed us warmly. It was also nice to be able to pop into the Neptune lounge for snacks, to read a newspaper, or talk to the concierge. It got us very spoiled.

You're going to love it. But be forewarned, you'll never want to cruise in a standard veranda cabin again. I have been in the aft corner suites on three different Vista ships and they are my absolute favorite cabins. I would take one of those over the Penthouse suite. The PH is nice, but its overkill for me.

As far as comparison to a regular veranda cabin, there is no real comparison. I was in a VD cabin on Westerdam in December and I have to admit, I hated it. Too small, too small, too small. Everything in the cabin just seemed too small to me. Not to mention all the great amenities you get with the suites. I'll never book a non-suite cabin on a cruise again. I am officially addicted to the suites.

Archived