Is brunch served?

marmac761

Just wondering if they served brunch in the main dining room. I thought I read somewhere they did. If so is it on sea days and what time.

If you mean the once a cruise sea day brunch, it will be on a sea day from about 10am to 1pm. It will be in your daily and your waiter should tell you about it the night before.

Otherwise, there will be food in the buffet daily and room service is always an option.

Just wondering if they served brunch in the main dining room. I thought I read somewhere they did. If so is it on sea days and what time.

Hi - unless they've changed things, they will serve lunch in the Main Dining Room every sea day - they only normally close the main dining room for lunch during port days. The lunch menu is more limited than the dinner menu and tends toward soup, salad, sandwiches, and only three courses vs. five.

You may be asking about the once-a-cruise brunch buffet, served in the MDR? If so, I agree with Algebralvr's response.

Yes, just off Equinox and it was one of the last sea days in the main dining room. wonderful. Show up at 10:45 and the lines will be gone.

Show up at 12:45 and the food will be gone -- last time it was pretty well shut down by 1:10

Not worth it to us -- we've never done it on a Solstice class -- maybe we'll try it again on the Eclipse next year. We always thought it sucked on the Mercury and Century, but for some reason we kept going :confused:

On Solstice earlier this March they show brunch with great displays in MDR on one of the sea day. We took more photographs than food, and then up to OceanView Cafe to have lunch properly.

On other sea days, we enjoy sitting lunch in MDR. Good lunch, not to be missed. MDR is closed on port days, so we alternate between AquaSpa Cafe and OceanView Cafe. Nice buffet.

On Solstice earlier this March they show brunch with great displays in MDR on one of the sea day. We took more photographs than food, and then up to OceanView Cafe to have lunch properly.

On other sea days, we enjoy sitting lunch in MDR. Good lunch, not to be missed. MDR is closed on port days, so we alternate between AquaSpa Cafe and OceanView Cafe. Nice buffet.

Hi Michael.

Where on the same cruise. I actually thought the informing aspect was pretty damn poor...and I'm being polite. I remember seeing a small mention in the previous nights Daily but not to lot other than saying it was on. I didn't put two and two together.

Given it is a fairly major thing the advertising was poor...and unless you had sailed Celebrity before you would not have known what u were missing.

So my advise...keep your eyes open otherwise you might miss the advisement.

Thank you all for your info. Dh, granddaughter (15) and I are going on the Solstice to Alaska in July. On another post I seen pics of a buffet but it did not say what buffet. I will be looking for the one time buffet. I think granddaughter would enjoy ice sculptures.

Hi Michael.

Where on the same cruise. I actually thought the informing aspect was pretty damn poor...and I'm being polite. I remember seeing a small mention in the previous nights Daily but not to lot other than saying it was on. I didn't put two and two together.

The "once-a-cruise sea day brunch" toward the end of the cruise is a standard Celebrity event. It is so standard that there really is not much "informing" other than the mention in the Celebrity Today on the last page in the restaurant hours section and possibly a mention by waiters in the MDR the night before.

Cruzbuds has used much stronger language than I would -- but the last one my husband and I attended was on a transatlantic in 2010. There are just so many people at the brunch and it is a "feeding frenzie." Quite frankly, we tend to order room service that day or have lunch in the standard buffet restaurant.

Hi Michael.

Given it is a fairly major thing the advertising was poor....

Hi Andy,

Sorry we miss the chsnce to meet on board.

I also wonder that there is no highlight about the event (Gala Brunch Buffet?) on Celebrity Today. However, our waiters at MDR repeatedly remind us about the brunch during dinner the previous night.

The brunch is a major event held once each cruise on a sea day towards the end of the cruise. It is usually from 10AM to 1Pm and the regular breakfast and lunch in the MDR is not held that day. There is a wide range of both breakfast and lunch items offered.

They started the brunch at the same time they discontinued the gala midnight buffet as the midnight buffet attendance was so poor. A lot of the same effort that went into the midnight buffet goes into the brunch in terms of presentation, ice sculptures and fruit/veggie carvings.

We've always had our waiter mention it the night before at dinner but I've read some cases here on CC where this hasn't happened and otherwise there is just a listing for it in the normal dining hours on the back page of the daily bulletin. If you're interested then ask your waiter, or dining room manager, about it early in the cruise to find out when it will be held.

Here are some photos - click on them to go to a gallery with some others.

IMG_8059-M.jpg

IMG_8057-M.jpg

The only issue we've had with it is that if you go right when it opens it is a bit crowded. If you go an hour later you sometimes will have an issue finding a clean table as sometimes the staff is around to organize and help in this and sometimes not. But if you're prepared to either face the crowds or know it might take a few minutes of confusion to locate a clean table you'll be fine and find it enjoyable.

Hi Andy,

Sorry we miss the chsnce to meet on board.

I also wonder that there is no highlight about the event (Gala Brunch Buffet?) on Celebrity Today. However, our waiters at MDR repeatedly remind us about the brunch during dinner the previous night.

Yes same here...there was a stuff up with the CC meeting with many invites not going out or informing attendees at virtually the last minute. I did speak to many people tho throughout the cruise a really enjoyed it for my first Celebrity experience.

I think I did see Sutho with his camera a couple of times tho up back.....lol.

I do not like buffets on any mass market cruise line and have seen plenty. Just take a look at how some of the cold food is displayed -- just sitting on a table in a bowl with no way to keep it cold. Also difficult to keep hot food hot as it should be.

I would really prefer that Celebrity not take up one of the sea days in the MDR with the buffet and serve the normal seated service menu that day. On our cruise there are only 3 sea days and I hate to lose one of those opportunities to "buffet day". However if you like being served food at inappropriate temps. in a very crowded room you will like it.

Aqua Spa, Oceanview or room service for us that day!!

I do not like buffets on any mass market cruise line and have seen plenty. Just take a look at how some of the cold food is displayed -- just sitting on a table in a bowl with no way to keep it cold. Also difficult to keep hot food hot as it should be.

I would really prefer that Celebrity not take up one of the sea days in the MDR with the buffet and serve the normal seated service menu that day. On our cruise there are only 3 sea days and I hate to lose one of those opportunities to "buffet day". However if you like being served food at inappropriate temps. in a very crowded room you will like it.

Aqua Spa, Oceanview or room service for us that day!!

I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise and not spend your time upset about things happening around you. The fact is that there will be a brunch and hundreds of guests will enjoy it and have a great time. You can either choose to be one of them, find alternate plans or sit around mad and upset. Perhaps a good day to enjoy Bistro on 5 or the Porch.

It's sad to see so many people walking around the ship having a bad time when there is so much to enjoy.

Have spoken to several staff on board asking why they do not promote the brunch beyond the small announcement under the restaurant hours section of the Daily, for most cruises. The answer was that they frankly do not want all the passengers on board to come to it -- the MDR is not large enough to handle that many people.

So what might appear to be "pretty damn poor" advertising is exactly the amount of advertising they need to make sure that the event is not so crowded that no one can find a seat for its entirety.

I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise and not spend your time upset about things happening around you. The fact is that there will be a brunch and hundreds of guests will enjoy it and have a great time. You can either choose to be one of them, find alternate plans or sit around mad and upset. Perhaps a good day to enjoy Bistro on 5 or the Porch.

It's sad to see so many people walking around the ship having a bad time when there is so much to enjoy.

Well stated.

Whenever the brunch question comes up there are always a few

different replies:

The folks who really enjoy it and have wonderful time.

The folks who hate it...yes, I use that word hate...because

they do hate it.

The folks who can take it or leave it.

The folks who end up not even knowing about it.

Or there are (others).....I know over the years I knew there

was a brunch but totally forgot about it.....LOL oh well......

Different strokes for different folks...just like everything else.

Archived