Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I can only imagine the impact on the wine stores, e.g. Total Wine and Publix at cruise port locations like Fort Lauderdale and San Pedro.. Wine sales are going to drop alarmingly. I recollect visting the above places and with other cruisers stocking up on a few bottles to take on board courtesy of Princess Cruise Line's largesse.

Has anybody seen how this new enforcement will work for those doing B2b or multisegment cruises?

The rules would seem to imply that you can only bring on 1 free bottle for the entire cruise unless you get off between segments and bring on 1 bottle again like anyone else embarking at that point.

This is the way Royal Caribbean handles this situation (RCCL rule is two bottles per cabin per cruise):

Q: Can I bring 4 bottles of wine if I'm on a back to back cruise?

A: Yes. The two additional bottles of wine will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the first day of the second cruise.

By the way, RCCL charges a $25 corkage fee in their dining rooms.

Hello op back. Just got back on board at Hilo. Well the new policy and how it works gets clearer. All wine is taken from you as you board the ship, a receipt is issued and its delivered to your cabin later today, its then checked to see if you have already brought wine on board, if so a charge of $15 is charged to your room, if not its countrd as your free 1 per person.

Let the thread continue, me i up to deck 14 for sailaway*

Ps landside securitymwhere dealing with all this, 1st time they have done it.*

So how do they know if you did or didn't bring wine aboard in San Pedro? Are they checking and documenting each and every person? That sounds like it would take a full day and sailaway would be at midnight. :confused:

Having arrived at this thread somewhat late I'm sorry if I am repeating something said a few hundred posts earlier, but certainly under UK law a cruise line that took a person's property away and failed to return it would be guilt of theft. It's called "permanently depriving ...". It doesn't matter how many pages of rules and regulations they may publish and have us blindly accept, they do not over ride the law of the land where the ship is berthed. They probably have the right to remove items brought-on that breach their rules and regulations but they must return that/those item(s) when you finally depart.

Let me offer a far-fetched example. A cruise line decides to ban gold. When you get on the ship they remove wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces (teeth?) from passengers wearing them. Whether they throw the items in the sea or melt them down is irrelevant, if they don't return them to you it's theft.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit about this in the USA ... yet.

Hello op back. Just got back on board at Hilo. Well the new policy and how it works gets clearer. All wine is taken from you as you board the ship, a receipt is issued and its delivered to your cabin later today, its then checked to see if you have already brought wine on board, if so a charge of $15 is charged to your room, if not its countrd as your free 1 per person.

Let the thread continue, me i up to deck 14 for sailaway*

Ps landside securitymwhere dealing with all this, 1st time they have done it.*

Seems as if the administration and additional labor cost of this proceedure would exceed the profit gain. Also, the probability of losing and/or breaking some of the bottles would happen. Although, they are quite good at retriving bottles in the MDR. But, boarding is not the MDR. And it would seem that this procedure would slow down boarding and possibly delay departure. Just a few thoughts.

I can only imagine the impact on the wine stores, e.g. Total Wine and Publix at cruise port locations like Fort Lauderdale and San Pedro.. Wine sales are going to drop alarmingly. I recollect visting the above places and with other cruisers stocking up on a few bottles to take on board courtesy of Princess Cruise Line's largesse.

I think that Total Wine will do a great business as their wine is so much cheaper than what you pay in the dining room including the corkage fee.

And not all the ships have wine packages. We are bringing on 8 bottles in a box with a boarding pass on it and are prepared to pay the corkage as the wine is going to the dining room anyway. It is a no brainer when most of the wines are under $10, Rosemount, Wolf Blass etc at Total Wine.

Ontario Cruiser

Emerald TA April 26th

I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit about this in the USA ... yet.

Here we go, come on people the OP has said you pay $15.00 a bottle after the 1st.

You can bring on as much as you like just make it 750ml bottles.

It also sounds like ( not confirmed ) if you declare it they store it but if you smuggle it they seize it.

A class action law suite over this?

From a safety/insurance standpoint at least with this package all alcohol is monitored by the serving staff which theoretically could cut someone off if they felt they were a risk..

If that were strictly the case, why is Carnival rolling out the Cheers Beverage Program

"Here are the details about our Cheers Beverage Program!

• With the purchase of this program, you will enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for your spirited beverages (yep, that’s with alcohol) all cruise long! At only $42.95 per day, this card is an amazing value! (prices are per day; gratuities not included)."

The Program does have a limit. It allows for up to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hours period (6AM - 6AM). That's a lot of alcohol :eek:

Here we go, come on people the OP has said you pay $15.00 a bottle after the 1st.

You can bring on as much as you like just make it 750ml bottles.

It also sounds like ( not confirmed ) if you declare it they store it but if you smuggle it they seize it.

A class action law suite over this?

Plus, other lines already have similar policies. Don't you think a lawyer would have already swooped in if there was a case there?

Plus, other lines already have similar policies. Don't you think a lawyer would have already swooped in if there was a case there?

Yeah, I haven't heard of that argument before, nor do I think that it would really hold much water. I've seen people who have tried to bring in outside drinks to sporting events, concerts, etc. who were told to toss them, and I doubt that the facility would be required to have some holding zone where people could pick up their contraband afterward.

Taking it a step further, if you buy a bunch of meat in port, and its prohibited on board, would Princess really have to hold on, and presumably take care of that meat till the end of the cruise?

Hopefully this will all be sorted out and a clear enforcement of policy in place by our October CA Coastal. I am happy to pay the corkage if we are allowed to take a wine tour and bring a bottle or two back to the ship for consumption in our cabin or in the MDR. We always have to fly to sail so bringing more than a bottle or two at embarkation isn't feasible. I do agree with PunkiC-clear communication and consistent implementation would seem to make better business sense.

I think that Total Wine will do a great business as their wine is so much cheaper than what you pay in the dining room including the corkage fee.

And not all the ships have wine packages. We are bringing on 8 bottles in a box with a boarding pass on it and are prepared to pay the corkage as the wine is going to the dining room anyway. It is a no brainer when most of the wines are under $10, Rosemount, Wolf Blass etc at Total Wine.

Ontario Cruiser

Emerald TA April 26th

We are white wine drinkers; sauv blanc in particular. Total Wine sells one of my favorites Santiago Station for $4.99. Even with a corkage of $15, I'm still getting what I like for less $$$.

... but certainly under UK law a cruise line that took a person's property away and failed to return it would be guilt of theft. It's called "permanently depriving ...". It doesn't matter how many pages of rules and regulations they may publish and have us blindly accept, they do not over ride the law of the land where the ship is berthed. They probably have the right to remove items brought-on that breach their rules and regulations but they must return that/those item(s) when you finally depart....

I know nothing of UK law. Could the cruise line give you the choice of being denied boarding for trying to board with contraband, or letting you throw away the contraband items? You pick.

I know nothing of UK law. Could the cruise line give you the choice of being denied boarding for trying to board with contraband, or letting you throw away the contraband items? You pick.

It is a BS argument at best. Agreed, all Princess needs to do is deny boarding - which is their legal right - and let the idiots with the alchohol either go home or get rid of it themselves.

We are white wine drinkers; sauv blanc in particular. Total Wine sells one of my favorites Santiago Station for $4.99. Even with a corkage of $15, I'm still getting what I like for less $$$.

A reasoned response.

$5.00 wine + $15.00 corkage, so for $20.00 and save $10.00 every bottle compared to a $30.00 bottle on board.

If you mule 10 bottles on board it saves you $100.00 and Princess makes $150.00 on your $50.00 effort. $200 for a $300.00 ship board value.

To me it is a lot of extra hassle for a $100.00 savings.

I would be more prone to buy $25.00 bottles that the ship would sell for $80.00 or more and go top shelf. So $400.00 for $800.00+ ship board value but Princess only gets $150.00 on my $250.00.

I have an issue paying $15.00 to open a $5.00 bottle of wine. Just my head set.

I buy wines I have never tried and indulge and experiment. I like to ponder my wine and bliss on the good stuff, or give a thumbs down on the over rated when warranted.

Think out of the "box" as a vacation can be an adventure!

Pun intended.

It is a BS argument at best. Agreed, all Princess needs to do is deny boarding - which is their legal right - and let the idiots with the alchohol either go home or get rid of it themselves.

I did not realize your were a licensed barrister or solicitor in the UK. Your talents are being wasted in PA.

The ship is in port around 5 hours when they have to accept, check and load literally thousands pieces of luggage. The luggage having been separated from the owners, luggage found to have contraband would have to be traced back to the owner and the owner(s) who is/are already most likely onboard the ship found and thrown off the ship. This almost qualifies as mission impossible.

The PR nightmare from this action alone will be tremendous. I recall a PR nightmare not too many months ago on Carnival with regards to a VP issuing an order that a large group of female dressing males not wear their costumes in public areas. They had booked 1/3 of the ship and cancellations from both sides were tremendous. The CEO of Carnival had to apologize. I never found out how many actually sailed that cruise but I heard it was fairly empty. I do not think Princess wants to go down this road.

That's pretty much it. The cruise contract gives them the right ro deny boarding or disembark passengers without compensation for violation of ship or company rules...

Seems as if the administration and additional labor cost of this proceedure would exceed the profit gain. Also, the probability of losing and/or breaking some of the bottles would happen. Although, they are quite good at retriving bottles in the MDR. But, boarding is not the MDR. And it would seem that this procedure would slow down boarding and possibly delay departure. Just a few thoughts.

Insurance is a cost of business ... and it is something you can't do business without. Soooooo .... it kinda doesn't matter what it costs if you want to stay in business. You can thank our litigious society and the people who got such a charge out of breaking the rules. There is a cost to that and now we all pay the price.:(

I think it is a pity they have not made provisions for people like us who normally arive in FLL early go shopping for items to take home with us (for example certain crown royal products are next to impossible to get in Europe so we buy them and then pack them well ino to our checked luggage while packing at the end of our cruise - when other line return such items)

We have never dug into such items while on cruise and even at home they are carefully rationed out to make them last as long as possible. Princess now makes this impossible so guess where we will not be cruising again at least not when we visit the US........

I have no qualms with lines asking for these items to be given up inorder to return them at the end of the cruise.

Having arrived at this thread somewhat late I'm sorry if I am repeating something said a few hundred posts earlier, but certainly under UK law a cruise line that took a person's property away and failed to return it would be guilt of theft. It's called "permanently depriving ...". It doesn't matter how many pages of rules and regulations they may publish and have us blindly accept, they do not over ride the law of the land where the ship is berthed. They probably have the right to remove items brought-on that breach their rules and regulations but they must return that/those item(s) when you finally depart.

Let me offer a far-fetched example. A cruise line decides to ban gold. When you get on the ship they remove wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces (teeth?) from passengers wearing them. Whether they throw the items in the sea or melt them down is irrelevant, if they don't return them to you it's theft.

UK laws are based just as much on contract law as the USA is. So, what applies is what is in the signed contract. I'm sure there is a catchall in there somewhere that says by signing this contract you agree to all blah, blah, blah.

I think it is a pity they have not made provisions for people like us who normally arive in FLL early go shopping for items to take home with us (for example certain crown royal products are next to impossible to get in Europe so we buy them and then pack them well ino to our checked luggage while packing at the end of our cruise - when other line return such items)

We have never dug into such items while on cruise and even at home they are carefully rationed out to make them last as long as possible. Princess now makes this impossible so guess where we will not be cruising again at least not when we visit the US........

I have no qualms with lines asking for these items to be given up inorder to return them at the end of the cruise.

TSA here in the US probably will make it more impossible. They're everywhere, not just airports. They are like square pegs in square holes and that is all they understand. They have a list of "allowable" items. If it isn't on the allowable list then it is considered contraband or some such and subject to confiscation and disposal regardless of what that item is.

I think that is definitely something that needs to be addressed. The concern seems to be for the people who smuggle alcohol on for consumption on board. So far as I know, since the increase in enforcement, no one has attempted to do what you suggest (willingly surrender it upon boarding for return upon leaving), so we can't say what Princess's policy is. I would think that if they would hold alcohol surrendered at ports, they would do the same for alcohol surrendered at embarkation, but who knows.

....The ship is in port around 5 hours when they have to accept, check and load literally thousands pieces of luggage. The luggage having been separated from the owners, luggage found to have contraband would have to be traced back to the owner and the owner(s) who is/are already most likely onboard the ship found and thrown off the ship. This almost qualifies as mission impossible.

Or simply call you down to the naughty room, and if you have contraband disembark you at first port. I suppose it depends on how draconian Princess wants to be in enforcing the contract. As someone else posted, this whole line of speculation is BS. I'm sure the Princess UK barristers have advised Princess on what they can and cannot do in the UK.

The PR nightmare from this action alone will be tremendous. I recall a PR nightmare not too many months ago on Carnival with regards to a VP issuing an order that a large group of female dressing males not wear their costumes in public areas. They had booked 1/3 of the ship and cancellations from both sides were tremendous. The CEO of Carnival had to apologize. I never found out how many actually sailed that cruise but I heard it was fairly empty. I do not think Princess wants to go down this road.

PR "nightmares" can be managed. Who's going to remember the Carnival incident in six months? I remember reading about someone on HAL getting kicked off the ship for not attending muster. Eventually, folks will learn. They'll hear from a friend of a friend that heard about someone who got kicked off for trying to smuggle booze, and not even try. Or confine themselves to wine and pay the Princess wine tax. Which I'm sure would suit Princess. Suffer a little pain now for a long-term gain.

Princess did initially implement the no free internet for suites change poorly, but managed that by adding the grandfather exception. Our next cruise is in a WS booked after the grandfather date. No complaints on my part although I'd have preferred the free internet to the free specialty restaurant. Change happens.

I think that is definitely something that needs to be addressed. The concern seems to be for the people who smuggle alcohol on for consumption on board. So far as I know, since the increase in enforcement, no one has attempted to do what you suggest (willingly surrender it upon boarding for return upon leaving), so we can't say what Princess's policy is. I would think that if they would hold alcohol surrendered at ports, they would do the same for alcohol surrendered at embarkation, but who knows.

Definitely something that needs to be addressed. For instance, last March we were given a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label as an apology for service issue on an international first-class flight. Had we been flying to board a ship, what could we have done with the bottle? Certainly not something one would chug in the parking lot. :p We would have happily surrendered it for safekeeping during the cruise, but would have been absolutely livid had they taken or destroyed it.

For what it is worth, that precious bottle still sits unopened on our buffet, awaiting an occasion special enough to warrant opening it.

In the US (criminally-speaking) the term "permanently deprive" is a specific intent action. For Princess is to be guilty of theft, you would have to prove they took your items with the specific intent to permanently deprive you of it; which would be very difficult if not impossible.

If the item is smuggled aboard, you are the guilty party. If they damage or lose an item, they are negligent, not criminally liable. And, by their own policy which you agreed to by purchasing a ticket, they accept no responsibility for items you bring on board.

Archived