Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I was on Sun Princess in 2009 and Dawn Princess in 2010, operating from Australia, both cruises we were restricted to two bottles of wine and nothing else, it was enforced. Scouts Honour.

This sounds like one cruise on the Sun Princess in 2009 and one cruise on the Dawn Princess in 2010. That was quite a while ago and it does not mean that the policy you referred to continued to be enforced. In fact, it wasn't.

We have been on both these ships a few times since then and never encountered this policy. Several people referred to the 1-bottle-per-person-per-cruise policy on the Dawn Princess during the period late 2011 to May 2012.

Why can't Princess do it like HAL ,where you can buy a real bottle not the jr. size at a higher price.I drink scotch but would rather not drink than drink J&B,which is all Princess offers!Las year on HAL,I went to the store and bought 3 bottles of 12year old Dewars that I thought would be brought to my cabin on the last day.The person in the store said just take it now.That was day 4 of an 11 day cruise!If I stay at a hotel that has a bar they don't restrict what I can bring to my room for personal consumption,and no cruise line should either!Looks like HAL will be getting my business.

This is really getting serious....no Dewars 12 years old....say it isn't so.;) I think you will find a way.:)

For my part I am just not going to get to agitated until they take away my cleverly disguised Grey Goose.

Or in Ft Lauderdale you can go to Walgreen's across the street from the Renaissance and buy a couple of $4 Beringer wines that sell for like $25 a bottle on the ship and uncork them yourself in your cabin. I have in the past brought aboard two small boxed wine(s) for the cabin refrig. but I have never taken the box to the dining room and asked them what would be the unboxing fee.

What gets me is that I have actually seen folks roll aboard a 2 wheeler with cases of stacked flats of bottled water. That's a bit much.

Why, water is free on the ship. I seriously doubt Princess loses much money because people bring water on the ship instead of buying their bottled water. I don't bring water or alcohol on board but some people don't trust the ship's water nor enjoy the taste. Two flats probably is appropriate for the length of time of their cruise or the members in the family.

I take 3-4 one ounce bottles...the same that they sell you...on flights all the time. If it's small enough to get past the liquid restrictions at security, no big deal.

I don't do it because I'm cheap. I do it because I fly coach and even on a long flight, you only get two drink services. That, and because I don't want my credit or debit card ran for a measly $5 each time.

Actually, you can bring booze on an airplane. My friend does it all the time. As long as it is under 3oz and sealed, its legal.

No, it is not legal to drink your own booze onboard an airliner.

FAR § 121.575

Alcoholic beverages.

(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

I understand that some fragile types need "liquid courage" to travel, but it is a great way to make YOUR travel story more interesting by getting to include the phrase, "So after the police handcuffed me ..." on to YOUR cruise review.

Don't know if others have seen this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5291

DW and I have enjoyed a glass of wine in our room before dinner and another glass with dinner on past cruises. I am very unhappy with the new policy, especially limiting one bottle/person/voyage whether it is a 1 day repo from Seattle to Vancouver, a typical 7 day Caribbean cruise or an 18 day TA. I also enjoyed purchasing the wine bottle package to reduce the cost of wine in the dining room. We won't stop cruising Princess, but until they modify their new policy, our form of protest will be to just make due with our two bottles allowed on board and exchange our mini-bar set up for 10 bottles of beer and make due with the two bottles of wine and the beer in our cabin before dinner. It is nice to have wine with dinner, but we will forgo that in protest of the new policy. Princess will actually end up losing money from us.

You miss the point altogether.

I'm pretty sure you have no point. People working on the

ship serve you in expectation of fair tips. Waiters, stewards, etc.

It's very petty and cheap to cheat them.

If you don't like the liquor/wine policy, show the company by

taking your business elsewhere.

I wasn't able to copy and paste the part of the cruise contract that I wanted to post (probably just me - I am still not up to par with computer stuff).... anyway - at the top of page 5 in my upcoming Alaska cruise it states...

I can bring on one (750ml) bottle of wine/champagne per adult and if consumed in a public area of the ship I will be charge $15.00 and it must be in my carry on luggage. Any liquor/wine/beer hidden in my luggage will be destroyed.

I take this to mean I can consume my brought on wine in my room without having to pay the $15 corkage fee.

Is this how you read this as well?

I agree. People are feeling sorry for someone that is breaking the rules??? Hey, if one gets away with cheating, so be it. In fact, many post like it's a badge of honor to take things on boards that aren't allowed. So here's someone that gets caught and they are outraged? I understand that there is episodic enforcement, but one is breaking a contract.

Not totally analogous, but it's a bit like feeling outraged that you got a speeding ticket when you've been speeding for a year and never got caught. This policy isn't really all that new, it's just being enforced more.

Apparently it is possible...no one can answer that for certain as Princess is not consistantly enforcing their policy across the board at all ports...risk it or wait until end of cruise to purchase it...:rolleyes:

My pet peeve with Princess is that they don't enforce any rules be it chair hogs, children in the adult pools or traditional diners eating in the anytime venue. This rule hits them in their pocket so we will see how consistent they are with this. My guess is like everything else it will be hit or miss.

It is amazing... how many folks here see themselves as the cruise police. My, my... I do not understand why anyone really cares whether someone brings on alcohol or not... all I really care about is what I do.

They care because in the long run the cruise line loses money because passengers are not running up bar bills if they B.T.O.B. This in effect will cause the cruise price to rise which will affect everyone including the passengers who don't drink or just follow the rules. I don't believe for one minute that those who bring on cases of wine and smuggle alcohol and claim that they also buy wine in the MDR for a 7 day cruise are only "Enjoying it on their balcony while they sail out of port". Look around in the evening and see how many wine glasses are filled to the rim. That isn't a proper pour for wine. I do disagree that the same 2 bottle policy is standard for a 1 day cruise and 30 day cruise. I think that the bottles allowed should increase with the number of days sailing.

If the cruise line wasn’t losing money they would continue to look the other way. I just think it has gotten so far out of hand that they had to start enforcing the policy.

This is really getting serious....no Dewars 12 years old....say it isn't so.;) I think you will find a way.:)

For my part I am just not going to get to agitated until they take away my cleverly disguised Grey Goose.

Unfortunately,Princess has never sold the 12y/o,just the regular White Label.I find it amusing when people buy large amounts of liquor aboard to bring home ,as I can buy the Dewars cheaper at home.

I don't believe for one minute that those who bring on cases of wine and smuggle alcohol and claim that they also buy wine in the MDR for a 7 day cruise are only "Enjoying it on their balcony while they sail out of port".

As an aside, I find it interesting that some people find the selection of beer/wine/alcohol to be so appalling that they will either sneak their preferred brand/quantity on, or if caught/prevented, will cruise other lines. Everyone is entitled to do with their money what they wish, but I, personally, find that the alcohol selection ranks fairly low on my list of priorities.

I brought on 4 or 5 (sealed) bottles of water last cruise. I had them in my luggage - not in carry on. I wonder if I will need to take them as carry on next time to avoid a trip to the inspection room to open the luggage and show that it's just water.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

On another cruise line, we were called to the 'naughty' room because my husband had a large bottle of Listerine in his luggage. I guess it looked like booze on the xray.

I suggest everyone pack a bottle or two of water in their luggage. They will be swamped with havinqg to go through every bag they detect liquid in. RCL & Celebrity have drink packages. Many online travel agents are including them as a bonus. Princess does not offer any wine or alcohol packages. Seems like this policy will generate more negative

PR than revenue.

All this whining has been because Princess had policies that haven't been enforced leading people to constantly see what they could get away with.

I suspect all the boasting people have done in Cruise Critic posts about what they "got away with" smuggling onboard didn't help either.;)

We DO know that Princess reads Cruise Critic!!!

As an aside, I find it interesting that some people find the selection of beer/wine/alcohol to be so appalling that they will either sneak their preferred brand/quantity on, or if caught/prevented, will cruise other lines. Everyone is entitled to do with their money what they wish, but I, personally, find that the alcohol selection ranks fairly low on my list of priorities.

Also, I understand the brand issue of wine and beer but unless you are bringing alcohol that was processed from the still in your backyard Princess has all of the most popular brands. Even with that unless you are drinking straight shots you probably can't tell the difference once it's blended with those sugary mixers.

No it doesn't. It states one bottle per person, anything above one bottle is subject to $15 corkage, then it says anything outside that policy will be discarded. By their own policy, no wine or champagne should ever be discarded unless the owner refuses to pay the corkage.
ONLY 750 ML bottles not bigger so there are restrictions so there is cause for discarding. Those liter and bigger boxes and magnums which exceed the policy limit.

I suspect all the boasting people have done in Cruise Critic posts about what they "got away with" smuggling onboard didn't help either.;)

We DO know that Princess reads Cruise Critic!!!

I always said that sooner or later it was going to catch up with them. Looks like it has!!!

[quote name=at the top of page 5 in my upcoming Alaska cruise it states...

I can bring on one (750ml) bottle of wine/champagne per adult and if consumed in a public area of the ship I will be charge $15.00 and it must be in my carry on luggage. Any liquor/wine/beer hidden in my luggage will be destroyed.

I take this to mean I can consume my brought on wine in my room without having to pay the $15 corkage fee.

Is this how you read this as well?

Yes, you are correct. Dh and I always bring one 750 ml bottle of wine in each of our carry-on luggage, and drink the two bottles on our balcony or in cabin over course of cruise. We will be doing same on our Golden cruise in less than 2 weeks.:D

Have a wonderful cruise to Alaska. It's a beautiful place....

I think more people would buy more of Princess' drinks, if they actually put a full shot in the drinks. Last year we paid extra for a double shot as the drinks were so weak. We watched the bartender put in about 1/2 a shot; we called him on it and he did then add the other shot. As much as they charge for drinks they should put the full amount of alcohol in the drinks. I am not a big drinker but would like to get what I pay for.

I agree. We had issues with one ship several years ago - it seemed as if there was NO alcohol in the drinks. If I just wanted plain fruit juice, I would have ordered that and saved a few dollars. When we are on vacation, the last thing we feel like doing is making complaints or having to watch the bartender to make sure he/she is making the drink correctly.

Fortunately it seemed to be a quirk on the one ship, as we haven't experienced it since.

I always bring rum with me so the dw and I can have drinks on the balcony and still have $900 bar tab.so if they take my $25 bottle of rum I will not drink on the ship only in ports so that means that princess will lose $900 and I only lose a $25 bottle of rum. theres no way to bring booze for a hole week so princess still gets your money.As for the crew losing tips I still tip above what take from you they need to pay the crew a fare wage .

I'm pretty sure you have no point. People working on the

ship serve you in expectation of fair tips. Waiters, stewards, etc.

It's very petty and cheap to cheat them.

If you don't like the liquor/wine policy, show the company by

taking your business elsewhere.

The loss of revenue by staff is made up from corporate earnings.

Punitive actions are reciprocal

I always bring rum with me so the dw and I can have drinks on the balcony and still have $900 bar tab.so if they take my $25 bottle of rum I will not drink on the ship only in ports so that means that princess will lose $900 and I only lose a $25 bottle of rum. theres no way to bring booze for a hole week so princess still gets your money.As for the crew losing tips I still tip above what take from you they need to pay the crew a fare wage .

You're free to do what you want, but I don't understand this mentality. If you're spending $900 in alcohol on the boat it would seem that you enjoy (or at least tolerate) the alcohol selection on board. If that's the case, why not just buy a bottle of rum from the boat with which to make your balcony drinks?

Archived