Why do virgin drinks cost more than alcoholic ones?

On our last cruise on RCI, had someone tell us that virgin drinks are $3-4 more than alcoholic drinks. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Don't believe everything "someone" tells you.

Why would the same drink without alcohol cost more than a drink with alcohol?

M

The alcohol kills the taste of most mixers, so they can use cheap and/or watered down mixers. A the taste of a "virgin" cocktail is not killed off by the liquor so they have to use better ingredients.:)

For some reason, I am picturing that scene from Willy Wonka where Violet steals the piece of gum and turns into a giant blueberry. I am imagining a giant juicing room where they roll all of their virgins to be juiced:)

That can't be cheap to operate.

The alcohol kills the taste of most mixers, so they can use cheap and/or watered down mixers. A the taste of a "virgin" cocktail is not killed off by the liquor so they have to use better ingredients.:)

Every bar that I have ever worked at (over 20 years as a bartender) has always used the same mixers in a cocktail and a virgin drink -- you do NOT get better mixers because it is a virgin drink.

This gave me a chuckle...on the ship the virgins are cheaper...I know I'm not a big drinker, but love a frou frou without the kick:p

But what your friend might have been referring to is the fact that rum is wicked cheap in the islands, imported fruit is not. We are doing a sailboat charter in St John, and the price for my 16 and 18 YO was the same as the adults despite the free flowing rum, which they will not be partaking in. ( well, the 18 yo has the option, but thinks probably she won't) I asked Capt Kathleen for a little break on the non drinkers and she said, " oh no, the rum is cheaper than juice, that's why it's the same price for all". So that's their story and they are sticking to it!;)

no way a mixer costs more than the liquor no matter where you are

Most of the cost of liquor in the US is taxes, taxes, taxes...on the islands, their own rums are very cheap...fruits which are mostly imported due to lack of arable land and fresh water for much farming are expensive ( as are packaged or canned mixers processed off island and imported and possible taxed.) So it's entirely possible that the mixers and fruit juices can cost more per liter than the booze. Makes you want to move to the islands doesn't it? ;):p

Archived