What to pack for May Alaskan cruise!?

gladgirl

First time cruiser - we are doing some active excursions so I know I need a coat, jeans and hiking boots but for hanging out on the boat, what kind of clothing do I need to pack? How cold will it be? What will we need to wear for excursion to Evening Buchart gardens?

I'm from Texas so I don't want to freeze but I don't want to pack for 30 below, either!:)

Thanks in advance!

We went to AK end of May last year. It could be sunny and warm or cloudy and cold. Key packing points, in my opinion:

1. Rain shell jacket with a hood--don't have to mess with umbrella.

2. I don't recommend jeans for excursions/ports. Again in case of rain. I bring nylon hiking pants or travel pants (such as REI). Quick to dry and some zip off to make shorts.

3. Layers--synthetic base layer tops; synthetic or wool shirts; synthetic fleece outer layer. Avoid cotton as if it gets wet or sweaty you will get cold. Workout type shirts can work for your layers. Check sales right now for long underwear (ie Cuddleduds). One base and one to two shirts should be fine (I do laundry on the ship). Bring one fleece outer layer and/or pick up a souvenir "Alaska" one at Tongass Trading Co in Ketchikan.

4. Knit cap and gloves.

5. Rain pants if you have them. Wore them on both excursions due to rain and as an extra layer on lake kayak trip.

6. If you have friends who go skiing, see if you can borrow some of items if you do not want to invest.

Have a great trip.

Packing for Alaska cruises is constantly debated and discussed on the Alaska Cruise Critic forum. Just use the search function and you should be able to easily located some of these threads. But the key is to dress in layers, and to be sure that you have a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer.

First time cruiser - we are doing some active excursions so I know I need a coat, jeans and hiking boots but for hanging out on the boat, what kind of clothing do I need to pack? How cold will it be? What will we need to wear for excursion to Evening Buchart gardens?

I'm from Texas so I don't want to freeze but I don't want to pack for 30 below, either!:)

Thanks in advance!

I've been to Alaska many times from April thru September.

First key is that like other parts of the world Alaska weather is unpredictable, but different then other parts of the world is that it can change back in forth in less then an hour.

It can be cloudy, windy, rainy, sunny, cool, cold, warm all within a short time frame and history means nothing.

Key is to layer.

Bring a hat, scarf, gloves, waterproof jacket, long pants, long top, fleece and or sweater or sweatshirt.

Waterproof shoes are good and also bring sports shoes.

Key is layering.

Keith

Thanks in advance!

We're cruising Alaska in May also.

I'm taking this awesome jacket that I got last year. It's a Columbia Omni-Heat jacket. Not sure if you've seen them around. They have the reflective liner on the inside. They are so thin and light I didn't know if it could keep me warm up here in the rockies. I've worn it in 50 degrees and it kept me cozy, not hot. I've also worn it in 10 below and it kept me toasty. No layering necessary. It goes according to your body heat, so the colder it gets the more heat your body puts out.

I love it because it's extremely thin and can fold up to fit in my carry on if I have to.

Have fun on your cruise!

Hi again,

So if I am reading these correctly, leave my warm but bulky ski jacket at home and just take layers with a rain coat to fit on top?

I had bought the aforementioned coat for this trip (we live in TX) so I don't want to go buy all new stuff if I don't have to....

Also, I've read in a few places you should just buy your stuff at the first stop...that seems risky. Anyone ever do this ?

Can I assume that if I get up there and don't have what we need, I can get it there?

Also, do we need ski gloves (waterproof) or just gloves?

Can you tell I'm having pre-packing anxiety - lol!

Thanks again!

Glad girl

Hi again,

So if I am reading these correctly, leave my warm but bulky ski jacket at home and just take layers with a rain coat to fit on top?

I had bought the aforementioned coat for this trip (we live in TX) so I don't want to go buy all new stuff if I don't have to....

Also, I've read in a few places you should just buy your stuff at the first stop...that seems risky. Anyone ever do this ?

Can I assume that if I get up there and don't have what we need, I can get it there?

Also, do we need ski gloves (waterproof) or just gloves?

Can you tell I'm having pre-packing anxiety - lol!

Thanks again!

Glad girl

Girl...I'm in the same boat as you!! :D Driving my husband crazy! LOL!

Jeans are heavy to pack, and then they get wet, take forever to dry. I bring water resistant pants made of spun polyester that wick away the moisture from my body. When I get back to the cabin, I shake them out and hang them in the bathroom. Voila, they're dry in an hour or two. Definitely dress in layers.

Roz

We went to AK end of May last year. It could be sunny and warm or cloudy and cold. Key packing points, in my opinion:

1. Rain shell jacket with a hood--don't have to mess with umbrella.

2. I don't recommend jeans for excursions/ports. Again in case of rain. I bring nylon hiking pants or travel pants (such as REI). Quick to dry and some zip off to make shorts.

3. Layers--synthetic base layer tops; synthetic or wool shirts; synthetic fleece outer layer. Avoid cotton as if it gets wet or sweaty you will get cold. Workout type shirts can work for your layers. Check sales right now for long underwear (ie Cuddleduds). One base and one to two shirts should be fine (I do laundry on the ship). Bring one fleece outer layer and/or pick up a souvenir "Alaska" one at Tongass Trading Co in Ketchikan.

4. Knit cap and gloves.

5. Rain pants if you have them. Wore them on both excursions due to rain and as an extra layer on lake kayak trip.

6. If you have friends who go skiing, see if you can borrow some of items if you do not want to invest.

Have a great trip.

Please lean from my mistake. The wife and I took the inland passage cruise out of Seattle on the Carnival Spirit in June of '09. I did not even know this website existed, so didn't know WHERE to go too for information on what clothes to pack,etc. Soo we didn't pack the first long sleeve anything. After all, in Atlanta, Ga, it was 93 degrees, humidity made it over 102. :( Soooo, I figured ANY cooler, would be a pleasure. Boy !! Was I in for a surprise.. NO humidity in Seattle OR Alaska and a twenty mile wind, MEANS c-c-COLD !! We both went down to the ship's store and bought a LONG sleeved hoodie and ended up wearing it most everyday for the seven days. LOL !! Could get by wearing short sleeves INSIDE the ship, but OUTSIDE ?? Nooo WAY !! Luckily, it didn't rain but one day out of the seven, our last stop in Ketchikan, but like the post said above, some rain gear would be prudent.

I went to Alaska early last June. For the most part I was quite comfortable in long silk undies, jeans, sweater, insulated jacket, gloves and wool hat. However!, on the day we were in Tracy Arm, I liked to froze my butt off!!! I really wished I had my ski jacket with me, just for those 5 or so hours. I think it would have been worth the extra room needed just for the extra jacket.

Think I'll buy one of those Omni Heat jackets for my next Alaska cruise, especially if they're as light and warm as has been previously mentioned on here.[/font

I was in Alaska in May . I wore jeans , sneakers , long sleeved tees , a sweater ( Which I usually ended up removing ) and a rain jacket that had a zip out liner & a hood .I took regular gloves ,a scarf & a hat . I also brought a fleece pull over . On the boat I wore pants or capris,long sleeved t shirts & a cotton sweater .I found it a little chilly on the boat . At night when we went to the dining room ( some nights we were too exhausted from the tours to go anywhere but the buffet ) I wore long silk sundresses with a pashima wrap. It was warmer than I thought it would be . I live in Florida so I ordered everthing I needed from Lands End . Have a ball ! It is a great trip ! Don't forget binoculars !

I bought the Columbia Omni Heat jacket yesterday evening; I got an email this a.m. saying it was already shipped! Of course I won't know how it works until next winter. I doubt if I'll make it back to Alaska until at least 2015 as I'm Hawaii bound next spring.

I bought the Columbia Omni Heat jacket yesterday evening; I got an email this a.m. saying it was already shipped! Of course I won't know how it works until next winter. I doubt if I'll make it back to Alaska until at least 2015 as I'm Hawaii bound next spring.

You're going to love it. Which one did you order? I have the Shimmer Me and Mighty Lite. They're both very very thin, but MAN! do they keep you warm! :)

Wore it to the last Broncos game when it got to 10 below zero with strong wind. I had one long sleeve shirt, a hoodie and this jacket. I was warm. My husband had 3 layers plus his leather jacket. Froze his butt off. :)

The key is it has to be zipped up to keep your body heat in. Hope you enjoy it!

You're going to love it. Which one did you order? I have the Shimmer Me and Mighty Lite. They're both very very thin, but MAN! do they keep you warm! :)

I got the Whirlibird F12; bright red!

Looks like a cool jacket!

Hopefully it will be a warm one. I have a ski jacket, but hopefully this will be a good one to take on cold weather cruises, i.e. Alaska, where it won't take up much room in my luggage.

A waterproof shell with a hood is much better than a heavier jacket. There is a fair chance for rain - especially in Ketchikan, while it may not be cold. Layers work best at keeping you warm - even when it comes to socks. A very thin sock under one that is slightly heavier will be quite toasty. Waterproof shoes are a great idea. I spent $100 on good ones that my DH swore I'd probably never wear again. So every time I head out when it cool/cold and rainy, I have to point out "Look! I'm wearing those boots you said I'd never wear again."

And while many say not to pack jeans, I don't like those light weight microfiber pants at all. My rain jacket covers my bum and aside from them getting wet down at my feet BUT on top of my waterproof boots, I never felt a thing. I wore a pair and packed 2 pair & sent them out in the laundry on the ship.

One tip I'll offer up. I don't like the bulkiness of long johns, even the silk ones. I wore microfiber tights under my jeans - especially on the glacier viewing days. Worked like a charm and they should be on clearance right now.

A waterproof shell with a hood is much better than a heavier jacket. There is a fair chance for rain - especially in Ketchikan, while it may not be cold. Layers work best at keeping you warm - even when it comes to socks. A very thin sock under one that is slightly heavier will be quite toasty. Waterproof shoes are a great idea. I spent $100 on good ones that my DH swore I'd probably never wear again. So every time I head out when it cool/cold and rainy, I have to point out "Look! I'm wearing those boots you said I'd never wear again."

And while many say not to pack jeans, I don't like those light weight microfiber pants at all. My rain jacket covers my bum and aside from them getting wet down at my feet BUT on top of my waterproof boots, I never felt a thing. I wore a pair and packed 2 pair & sent them out in the laundry on the ship.

One tip I'll offer up. I don't like the bulkiness of long johns, even the silk ones. I wore microfiber tights under my jeans - especially on the glacier viewing days. Worked like a charm and they should be on clearance right now.

You've got to get getter long johns. Up here in Leadville, the joke is we have winter and August. I live with Under Armour almost all year long, just different levels, but they're thin and tight enough that you don't notice them much. Here's a money saving tip, instead of spending money on long johns, wear a couple of pairs of pantyhose...if you're a woman. They work better than you'd think.

And feet warmers. Works like a charm o keep you warm but not roasting.

You've got to get getter long johns. Up here in Leadville, the joke is we have winter and August. I live with Under Armour almost all year long, just different levels, but they're thin and tight enough that you don't notice them much. Here's a money saving tip, instead of spending money on long johns, wear a couple of pairs of pantyhose...if you're a woman. They work better than you'd think.

And feet warmers. Works like a charm o keep you warm but not roasting.

But microfiber tights are much more comfortable than pantyhose. And I'm very hot natured and am almost never cold (but I do prepare well for those times that I might). I cannot wear under armour - can't stand the feel of it and it's too hot for me. I'll stick with my tights, thank you.

But microfiber tights are much more comfortable than pantyhose. And I'm very hot natured and am almost never cold (but I do prepare well for those times that I might). I cannot wear under armour - can't stand the feel of it and it's too hot for me. I'll stick with my tights, thank you.

:):)

I have been to Alaska in June and September, and both times loved having my Gortex (Eddie Bauer) jacket. Lightweight, wind and waterproof with a hood, it was perfect. You will want to have gloves handy for the glacier day, and dark jeans were our choice on and off the ship, just about everywhere but MDR dinner. Alaska is a much more casual cruise than people might expect. Oh, and don't forget your bathing suit to enjoy on board in the Solarium if your ship has one- it was so toasty in there on our Serenade cruise. :)

I didn't bring my warmest down jacket but if I had it wouldn't have been a mistake. Very cold out on deck for Glacier Bay, and sometimes wearing 6 layers is not comfortable. If you are on a tour bus & get too warm it's a process to start taking off a bunch of layers - I'd rather just remove my coat.

I took a pair of light weight but waterproof ski pants - a shell with a light lining. They worked perfectly, but I already had them. I didn't buy them for the cruise.

I wore jeans a lot on the cruise. We only had rain 1 day, in ketchikan. Gloves & a hat came in handy for being out on deck, and it was cold & very snowy on one excursion into the yukon.

You might be early enough in the season to not need it, but I'd bring insect repellant. We went in August and we were really glad we brought it. I think the mosquitoes were about the size of some small birds here at home!

Archived