On The Fence About The Soda Package? Don't Be.

I think if you're an avid soda drinker who is going to consume 3-4 sodas during a dinner sitting, then the $6.50 per day (is that what it costs?) surely is worth it and there is no reason not to consider getting the package.

However, for those of us who perhaps only drink one soda at lunch or near the pool, then of course it's not worth it. We don't drink soda at dinner ever. No question at all for me, I am not getting the package. I think the high fructose corn syrup in soda is simply unhealthy, so I try to limit my consumption. I don't want to have to drink at least 3 sodas a day every day of the cruise just to break even on the cost.

We have the freestyle machines at some local restaurants, and I admit they are kind of fun. But after the first few times of drinking grape Coke or cherry lime diet Sprite, the novelty wears off a bit.

I am pretty much exclusively drinking Coke Zero when I have a soda these days. On ships with Freestyle machines, the soda package is worth it to me.

On ships with no Freestyle machines, the soda package is not worth it as I find Diet Coke unpalatable.

I wanted to give my opinion on the whole soda package thing. I think it is worth it if you drink soda. Even just one or two a day. My husband is not an alcoholic drinker at all, none. I do like to drink a glass of wine at dinner and maybe a cocktail before but that is it. Here is how it works for us. On a sea day my husband will fill his mug and go find a place to read. He will keep filling his mug when he wants too. I will fill my mug with sprite or water depending on what I am in the mood for. At lunch he will order a soda with his lunch, I will too. If we are doing something like trivia or up on deck we will order a soda from the guys at the bar. At dinner I will have my wine and my husband will have his soda. At the shows we will both order a soda either sprite or coke depending if we are going to make it a long night or not. I am excited to try the new machines. Is it worth it. It is for us, just for the convenience of not having to pay for it. Some people like the alcoholic package we like the soda package.

Pam

First, I love the Freestyle machines here on land, would assume they were great on board. I just wanted to point out that, while I'm sure the Freestyle experience is the same as on land because of how those machines work, the normal fountain Coke on the ship is a quite a bit off to me.

I don't think that is necessarily the ship but the delivery method. There are a few exceptions, but just about all of the non-freestyle coke I have seen usually comes from a bar area where they use the "soda gun" with 5-6 different buttons on it. For some reason, those (on or off the ships) don't taste as good to me as a traditional fountain setup like you would see at fast food, 7-Eleven's, etc...

I just did a quick google search on how much sugar is in a can of coke . I got 10 cubes or 8 teaspoons . That sounds like a lot .

Can you imagine putting that much sugar in your coffee ? lol

I also googled nutrasweet , the artificial sweetener in diet pops. That scared me . That chemical is not safe for human consumption.

Club soda anyone ? Water , a little salt and bubbles sounds safer. And Zero calories. Or bottled water would be a safe choice also .

I think i would personally pass on the package .

You may have already guessed , i dont drink much pop , and dont put sugar in my coffee.

cheers !

Another problem, on Enchantment, the machine on deck 6 seemed to always be out of SOMETHING. Fortunately there are so many flavors to try, I could always find something.

That was annoying to me as well. Since they charge a 12% gratuity on the soda package, they should be more on top of keeping the flavors in stock!

The FOS has 4 Freestyle machines in the WJ and by the end of Day 5, both right hand Freestyle machines had out of order signs and one of the left ones had no ice and only about 10% of the options available. The one remaining at 100% had quite the line!

The one up in the arcade was also down to about 10% remaining options.

If they are going to let them run dry as the cruise winds down, then why do they charge us full price for days 6 & 7 for the soda package? :eek:

We also gave the soda package a try a few cruises ago and have done it ever since. Do we drink enough to pay for it? Probably not, but the convenience is worth the cost to us. Without the package my thought process was why pay for a Coke when we can go get the "free" ice tea, and then had to make our way to the nearest dispenser which was not always near by. I suppose we could have asked the pool waiter or nearest bartender for the ice tea, but I never felt comfortable enough to ask them. Pre-soda package days we probably saved money, but for me the Coke is much more satisfying and like the OP, I think it just adds to the cruise :D

Ditto! I hardly ever drink soda at home, ice tea is my drink of choice. But I am an ice tea snob. I don't care for the kind the ship offers, I don't complain I just drink a soda. I also get a little sea sick at times and like to have the ginger ale to fall back on. Do I get my monies worth, I doubt it but I'm on a cruise so it is part of it.

I was not going to get the soda package because I do not drink a lot of diet soda due to the sodium levels. I have discovered the soda freestyle machine also has dasani water, sparking water ect. I do not have to worry with will they won't let my water on the ship.9 days to go!

• 2 months later...
If you are asking about the soda package, it includes unlimited fountain (not canned) Coke products, such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Diet Sprite. If your ship has a Freestyle machine, then there are over a hundred flavors available from the machine.

Sorry to be a pain but to clarify, they have diet sprite in soda package on independence?

The only problem I have with this is having to carry around the cup. Otherwise it sounds like a good thing and I'm sure my kids will definitely go for it.

I do like that you can get flavored water though, so maybe I'll change my mind once we're on board... Another cruise thing to obsess about for the next 11 months before we sail! :eek:

I just did a quick google search on how much sugar is in a can of coke . I got 10 cubes or 8 teaspoons . That sounds like a lot .

Can you imagine putting that much sugar in your coffee ? lol

I also googled nutrasweet , the artificial sweetener in diet pops. That scared me . That chemical is not safe for human consumption.

Club soda anyone ? Water , a little salt and bubbles sounds safer. And Zero calories. Or bottled water would be a safe choice also .

I think i would personally pass on the package .

You may have already guessed , i dont drink much pop , and dont put sugar in my coffee.

cheers !

Actually, that's rather sobering. With all the calories I indulge in on a cruise, that non-sweetened iced tea I stick to is looking better.

Actually, that's rather sobering. With all the calories I indulge in on a cruise, that non-sweetened iced tea I stick to is looking better.

I'm an iced tea drinker myself...that's my beverage of choice. However, I've found the iced tea on the ship to be undrinkable. It's just that awful. It's definitely not brewed...probably just made from a powder, and it it just tastes terrible.

I'm looking forward to being able to get a "real" iced tea from Starbuck's when I'm on Allure. But I also realize it would be a hassle (and expensive) to get one every time I'm thirsty.

Does anyone know is Splendor of the Seas has the new machines?

Splendor does not have the machines. So far, the only ships that have them are those that sail out of the US year round.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you have to use the souviner cup when getting your pop? Also does anyone know if they have freestyle machines on the Oasis?

You have to use the cup for the Freestyle machines. You can just use your S&S card at other places. The Coke Logo will be imprinted on the card if you prepurchased it or a sticker if you bought the package on board.

Archived