On The Fence About The Soda Package? Don't Be.

I just wanted to post this for anyone who's been considering getting the soda package.

I've thought about it for two cruises and decided to "splurge" this past cruise. The best parts, to me, were....

a. Having soda in the MDR served to me. The waitstaff remembered and I drank several over dinner (3-4 per night - there is a lot of ice...)

b. The freestyle machines are FUN and offer nice non-soda options. I loved the minute maid lemonade and grape flavoured water. I didn't always want pop, and it was nice to have other options. This was especially important because I like to have something to drink in the middle of the night.

The machines are fun to look through too! SO MANY OPTIONS. And, there was no wait-time on refills on the machine on Majesty. I know others have reported a 15 minute wait, but this was non-existent on Majesty.

c. The cup was a nice souvenir and it's actually larger than I expected!

d. Taste. I would normally choose cans over fountain because fountain can sometimes be flat or off-tasting. The taste was perfect, so no concern there!

You definitely don't NEED the package to have a good cruise. It definitely enhanced mine, though, and I wanted to share my experience for anyone else who might be considering it. Yeah, it's an extra expense, but I felt it was worth the cost.

Thanks for posting :) I am definitely not on the fence as I had decided when we booked that I would be purchasing this. I am a Diet Coke addict and I predict that I would end up spending as much as the package on bottled drinks over the course of 7 days on the Freedom. I am exited about using the machine. Very few restaurants have this around here; I have only been able to use one once before.

I think it is great that the cup is a souvenir as well :)

We also gave the soda package a try a few cruises ago and have done it ever since. Do we drink enough to pay for it? Probably not, but the convenience is worth the cost to us. Without the package my thought process was why pay for a Coke when we can go get the "free" ice tea, and then had to make our way to the nearest dispenser which was not always near by. I suppose we could have asked the pool waiter or nearest bartender for the ice tea, but I never felt comfortable enough to ask them. Pre-soda package days we probably saved money, but for me the Coke is much more satisfying and like the OP, I think it just adds to the cruise :D

I always buy the soda package. I think I break even--or close on most cruises. On my last cruise on Explorer they had the Freestyle machine. I loved it. I liked to have the flavored water on the pool deck in the morning when I would not have wanted soda.

Try it--you will be hooked on the soda package.:)

If the Free Style machines were on the Rhapsody I'd go for it. I'm not a big fan of diet coke, and given the choice I'd probably rather drink Mio and iced tea all week if coke diet coke and sprite were all I could get.

If freestyle coke machines are part of the Rhapsody refurb, I'll get it. However that's not looking good.

ITA with the op. The freestyle machines made the package worthwhile. because there were so many options, I used it more often than I would have used a plain soda fountain. I had not gotten the package before because I don't have more than 2 sodas a day. But having the

Minute maid options and more sugar free options made a difference.

How do we find out which ships have the free style machines and what are the choices?

We buy the soda package and water package. We do not drink (because of meds). I don't drink coffee or tea. I like the fact that you can get soda anywhere without the cup. We need water for meds during the day and when we go off the ship. The two packages are cheaper than most bar bills (our friends just returned from a trip and spent $600).

Anyone know if there is a freestyle machine on Adventure of the seas? What is included in the side package please?

If you are asking about the soda package, it includes unlimited fountain (not canned) Coke products, such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Diet Sprite. If your ship has a Freestyle machine, then there are over a hundred flavors available from the machine.

I actually regretted NOT getting this on the FOS .... DH got the package and the Freestyle machines offered so many other options. I spend just as much on water as I would have on the soda package and could have gotten Dasani with a twist of lemon. Oh well, next time!!

d. Taste. I would normally choose cans over fountain because fountain can sometimes be flat or off-tasting. The taste was perfect, so no concern there!

First, I love the Freestyle machines here on land, would assume they were great on board. I just wanted to point out that, while I'm sure the Freestyle experience is the same as on land because of how those machines work, the normal fountain Coke on the ship is a quite a bit off to me.

I caved and did the package on a recent cruise. I found myself drinking more than I should because I wanted to get my money's worth. That aside, I noticed a HUGE difference when we stopped at the gas station right outside of the parking lot on the way home.

We had been up a little too late the night before, got off the ship a little too early, and I was dragging. I swung in for a drink for the drive back to Orlando and picked up a Coke. Popped the top and HOLY CRAP DID THAT TASTE LIKE 1000X BETTER THAN THE SHIP. Just one guy's experience.

ETA: My drink package did not include Freestyle, as it was not on this ship at the time.

My sister's finally caved on our last cruise & bought the package...they really enjoyed it...and after seeing how nice their mug was I wished I would have gotten it as well....this was on Monarch so there was no freestyle machine...but next cruise I will definately be getting the package!

We have the machines at several area restaurants (5 Guys being a favorite, but also a couple of other places too), since DW and I are Diet Coke aholics, I love the options the machines give you such as:

Caffeine Free DC

Mr Pibb Zero (Dr Pepper clone, although I understand that if you are a Pepper this is a poor substitute)

Coke Zero (I'm a Coke Zero person, DW remains a DC person) with lime, or raspberry, wasn't too fond of the orange, or cherry, or even cherry-vanilla

Sprite Zero, several flavors possible, including strawberry, even on land, do you know how hard it is to find a diet Strawberry soda?

Yes, with my cup I will be camping out at the Freestyle machine (I know, 15 minute wait).

For us, Soda Package is well worth it and we pre-purchased it for our Allure cruise, just 17 short (had, short my butt) days away.

OWD

Do you have to use the souviner cup when getting your pop? Also does anyone know if they have freestyle machines on the Oasis?

Only have to use your special cup at the Freestyle machines. Anywhere else, just show your card.

According to the schedule, yes. Do I know for sure? No.

Goldstein offered a rough schedule for the 2012 rollout, though he added, “due to possible unforeseen delays, this date may shift.” The current schedule is as follows: Explorer of the Seas (August), Freedom of the Seas (September), Oasis of the Seas (October), Allure of the Seas (November) and Enchantment of the Seas (December).

nice post Kingsgirl. Many people will complain how its not a good value when compared to your local store, but those same people will pay $300 for a massage or have a $1000 bar bill in a week. I stopped getting the package, but the freestyle machines add Coke Zero, which I love. I'm glad to hear you didn't see a lot of long lines. When those machines first made my town, I did see a lot of long lines with confused people here, but that has become more norm.

Can anyone tell me if they offer the Freestyle Coke machines on the Serenade OTS?

They were not onboard Serenade following the revitalization in December.

I had luck that the bar guns were not functioning, so got soda by the can that cruise. I am sure that did not continue.

I never get the soda package, but this time I had to as I LOVE the freestyle machines. Never used my seapass to get a soda. I know I lost money on the deal, but it was fun. Will probably do it again.

Down sides to the Freestyle machines - having to haul that cup around and indecisive people. I actually had 2 teenage girls with 4-5 cups in front of me. They would fill the cup up, try the soda, decide they didn't like it, dump it and try a different flavor. Another problem, on Enchantment, the machine on deck 6 seemed to always be out of SOMETHING. Fortunately there are so many flavors to try, I could always find something.

Archived