When do you start packing

baja mama

My last trip was a 3 week med. cruise with a trip to Paris so I started a month out too.

I have a spare bedroom that I start laying things out and putting in groups. Then over time I will take away- add more etc. I think the more time I put into packing the less I will bring. And I pack a lot, my Europe trip I brought 13 pairs of shoes! So I can't imagine if I packed last minute how bad it would be :eek:

And even with the 13 pairs of shoes, I was the only one out of my group who was under weight ;)

Secret is- they did not weigh my carry-on... so I crammed that full with all the heavy items (shoes, blow dryer, etc.). I even packed a pair of knee-high boots to wear in Paris! Those were in the carry-on.

Hi:)

I am at the opposite end......the clothing is all out on the bed. I fly to

FLL tomorrow. I will pack tonite:D......I just picked up some things from

the cleaners and they are in their drycleaner bags too....going into the

suitcase that way....Look Mom, NO WRINKLES:D:);)

I am always more or less packed, well organized at least, so I could go at a minutes notice but when it is something planned everything except clothing is laid out on the bed in the cruise room ready to go. I plan my outfits ages in advance and do have a cruise wardrobe, so always have in my head what I shall take.

Then at the very last minute I pack clothes. If I am lucky I can get away with things only been in the case for about 4 hours, as we are less than an hour to the port, board on time and wait an hour or two to get the bags on a good day.

I am travelling to the Islands next weekend and for the first time I have a luggage constraint because of the boat we are travelling on. It's a Kenny Chesney type long weekend just kicking back and you know the hardest thing, choosing casual outfits and flat sandals. Everyone will be fishing or diving, not me though I will be on the beach under my big sun hat (or umbrella if it rains:() I just know I will still be overdressed in the no shirt, no shoes, no problem gang!

I start making lists as soon as I book the cruise. I have a cruise closet for my clothes and shoes. I start laying out odds and ends about a week before and actually start putting things in the suitcase 4-5 days before leaving home.

In my mind ... I'm always sort of packing!

Guilty when shopping of buying something that would be "perfect for a cruise".

Do any of the rest of you do the same?

LuLu

~~~~

OMG Yes! Latest was a blouse at TJMaxx last night that has to weigh all of two ounces (maybe less) yet is age-appropriate with sleeves LOL

Did I need it? No. Will it pack great and dry quickly if washed out in the sink. Sure. If I waited until cruise time to shop, wouldn't find anything!

In my mind ... I'm always sort of packing!

Guilty when shopping of buying something that would be "perfect for a cruise".

Do any of the rest of you do the same?

LuLu

~~~~

Yes....I just got a new pair of shoes:D they are "Italian Shoemakers"

and I probably have 6 pairs of this brand. I LOVE THEM:D

These are even a bit dressiere than some of their styles....they are

all black..a wedge.....with black fabric across the foot....and some

very pretty bling on them....not over the top (for me) but I can

definitely dress them up:)

We leave a month from today and I already am almost packed. Am I crazy?

Lynn

In my head or actual suitcase?:D I start thinking about outfits as soon as I book. I've already pulled out summer clothes and put them together as possible outfits.

Crazy? Probably not, but you're in good company if you are. ;)

My carry on with toiletries, electronics, prescription meds and the first aid kit got packed last Sunday.

My clothes are hung on a rolling rack and I will pack when my husband gets off work tonight. I just don't know what he wants to leave out for the flight tomorrow and what he wants for boarding clothes yet.

So...I'm packing tonight around 7-8 pm and leaving at 8 am tomorrow. It doesn't take too long, maybe 30-45 minutes. Everything is pre-prepared.

For all 3 cruises I pulled out the suitcase(suitcases for the family trip) when we booked. I leave it in the laundryroom on the table and toss things in as I read about them on CC or found them as I'd clean or as we circulated clothes at home (we have seasonal clothing up here)

Then about 2ish months prior I'd spend time sorting and really thinking it through, I'd pitch some out or switch something for another, I'd make out lists and cross match the days and activities.

I could have left tons of clothes home on the family cruise, my kids (DD & DS) lived in swimsuits that whole week. My DD would throw a sundress over her suit and DS would just add a t-shirt to his trunks. Even on most of the excursions they did this. I'm glad I brought 3 swimsuits for each of them, I just rinsed them out and line dried them. (BTW they were 13 & 10 then).

Good luck, you'll figure out what works best for you. :D

This time next Friday, we will be landing in Miami for our curise leaving the next day!!!!!!

I booked about a year ago & can't believe the time is right around the corner.

I am by nature, a light packer....mix-n-match, will wear somthing 2x, have pieces serve duo purposes, etc...But, it does take some planning to do that ahead of time.

So, I basically have a 3-color scheme I'm working with and if I saw something extra special through out the year (especially on sale last season) I bought it. A lot of it I already had since we live in a fairly warm climate most of the year.

Tomorrow I will get everything together to pack into our suitcases & probably actually pack them next Thursday night. This will be the first time I am going to cross pack, a tip I picked up here on CC. :)

Gosh! We sail the middle of June and I've already got my dinner outfits hanging and ready for the suitcase. I've got my cedar chest covered with "things I can't forget to bring". Anticipation is half the thrill! I love, love, love to plan and the cruise is on my mind all the time.

DH on the other hand, will pack the day before.

Yet.....we get along so well! lol

~ Shari

OMG Yes! Latest was a blouse at TJMaxx last night that has to weigh all of two ounces (maybe less) yet is age-appropriate with sleeves LOL

Did I need it? No. Will it pack great and dry quickly if washed out in the sink. Sure. If I waited until cruise time to shop, wouldn't find anything!

I always buy stuff with cruises in mind, whether or not I need it. I'll start packing about 3 days before we leave.

Secret is- they did not weigh my carry-on... so I crammed that full with all the heavy items (shoes, blow dryer, etc.). I even packed a pair of knee-high boots to wear in Paris! Those were in the carry-on.

Some airlines DO weigh your carryon. Last flight DD was on (BelleAir) she had a 6K limit and her program wouldn't allow her to check a bag.

Toiletries are 99% ready to go. Clothes get staged as I do the wash.

My airline has a 40 lb. limit for carry ons. Never had one weighed but I'll bet they would if it seemed overly heavy. Although I'm not sure you could get 40 lbs in a carry on unless you filled it with rocks :-)

I've been piling stuff up in my extra bedroom for three weeks and my cruise isn't until the end of the month! I think I end up packing lighter though because of it. I really think about what I'm taking and have time to make an alternate plan if I think something is to bulky or heavy.

So we got it all packed up last night. I hit a snag as the pants I wanted to board the ship wearing (white) had some weird blue spots on them. Back through the wash again and they are fine, but it delayed getting the suitcase closed up.

We each have a 24 inch case, both weighed in @ 40 lbs., each have a carry on tote and I have a small rolling bag. Even cutting back clothing and whatever we can, it still seems like we pack so much stuff.

We're both taking 4 pair of shoes (3 packed, one worn), we're not taking formal wear and the bare necessities as far as shorts/shirts/swimsuits. Evening wear is simple, I have a couple jersey dresses, one pair of slacks and 3 tops. He has 3 pair of slacks and 3 shirts. Plus underwear, bras, robes, slippers.

The toiletries all fit into our 3-1-1 bag, plus my powdered makeup. Other bathroom stuff, such as razors and hairbrushes are in the tote bags.

I have no idea how anyone can fit all they need into a carry on :rolleyes:

The one thing I nearly forgot....the camera :eek:

so be careful...

I just started "sorting", not quite packing at 100 days out.

Part of the reason is my sons college graduation, commissioning ceremony, packing him up, my school year ending and an out of state wedding all occur in the last few weeks before the cruise.

It makes my life less stressful to set stuff aside.

Every so often, I look over my clothes- and some things get "tossed off the ship"- sometimes too heavy, or doesn't pair up well with other stuff...

Additionally, my upcoming is the med cruise...23 kg limit for checked bag and I forgot the carry on weight limit set....but there are weight limits they can choose to enforce.

I am HOPING NOT to have a carry on this year, just a larger handbag...I am dreaming...

I also have a large tupperware I toss assorted stuff in.....

to keep it in one place.

I have a packing list to help me...but I NEVER use a packing list for land based vacations.

I bring dresses for dinner...the other day,

I pulled out 10 dresses I had put on the far right of my closet as cruise possibilities for variety and WEIGHT...

ten dresses weighed 8 pounds....

Last summer I took the bathing suit that weighed the least, these ounces add up.

My suitcase was under ar 47.5 pounds. My husband said I coud never do it!

It was a fun challenege!

BTW- He will pack the day before.... :)

Bernadette

Archived