Your favorite Food on HAL.

josephml1

Joanie, what exactly is a "Chocolate Purse? I have visions of a Gucci bag covered in chocolate! :)

Only the best dessert that has ever passed my lips. Ever. Better than anything Gucci could ever come up with.

It starts with a block of some of the best chocolate ever. That's placed on a puff pastry sheet, probably buttered. The sheet is pulled up around the chocolate with a twist to close, and that's all popped in the oven. The chocolate melts while the pastry puffs and browns.

It's served hot and all gooey. To die for.

Joanie, what exactly is a "Chocolate Purse? I have visions of a Gucci bag covered in chocolate! :)

Cpcanuck

....chocolate desert in the entire world!!! It was first served on Zuiderdam during the week of 11 September 2011 and we were amongst the first to have it!! The 2nd week on board , 18 September 2011, hubby and I both had 2 apiece in the MDR:)

Here is a thread about them and some photos (keep in mind that what some may not have cared for about it is their opinion, my opinion, as always is mine and the Zuiderdam just does the Chocolate Purse right:D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1669353

EDITED TO ADD: Lauranne, That is it!!! And believe me, when it is placed in front of you it looks 1000 times better and the taste...........OMG...Canno describe it without being banned from CC for crudity *Yikes*

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Only the best dessert that has ever passed my lips. Ever. Better than anything Gucci could ever come up with.

It starts with a block of some of the best chocolate ever. That's placed on a puff pastry sheet, probably buttered. The sheet is pulled up around the chocolate with a twist to close, and that's all popped in the oven. The chocolate melts while the pastry puffs and browns.

It's served hot and all gooey. To die for.

No question about that!

Here are a few of our favorites. We like almost everything served aboard the DAM ships

#1. Bread Pudding

#2. Cinnamon Ice Cream

#3. Lamb

#4. Liver & Onions

#5. Steak Diane

#6. Baked Alaska

#7. Prime Rib

#8. Filet Mignon

Jane & Gary

I'm a sucker for the room service club sandwiches.

Although with less than four weeks to go until our second cruise I'm craving the french onion soup like an addict. If we get a two person table this time then I plan to have it more than once, although because I'm pretty awful at eating it nicely I'll probably just have it the once if we end up with company. :)

Oh and the baked alaska. It was like eating tasty clouds last time. Plus after trying a taster on the last cruise, we're booked into the Pinnacle Grill this time and I'm really looking forward to the Steak Diane!

Here are a few of our favorites. We like almost everything served aboard the DAM ships

#1. Bread Pudding

#2. Cinnamon Ice Cream

#3. Lamb

#4. Liver & Onions

#5. Steak Diane

#6. Baked Alaska

#7. Prime Rib

#8. Filet Mignon

Jane & Gary

It's been years since we saw liver and onions on HAL dinner menu. We always enjoyed it and would love for it to be offered again.

The croissants are delicious as is their Danish. In fact, most of their breads/rolls are excellent.

Recently off a Celebrity ship and their chefs do not know how to make good cold soups. HAL's are uniformily good as are the hot soups. I actually had a garbanzo bean-spinach-tomato soup on the Celebrity ship that was the worst soup I have ever had. (And others at my table agreed; no one fished theirs.)

The hot Room Service breakfasts are really delivered hot! One can order an egg dish and not worry that it will be lukewarm when it arrives.

I have never had a meal on a HAL ship that was not good. Again, two of my 14 dinners on Celebrity were disappointing both in taste as well as in presentation.

Love the raisen buns and look forward to them on Maasdam April 12.

Also the cold fruit soups.

Yes, those room service club sandwiches are wonderful and add to that the chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.

Love your post, thanks for sharing... make me hungry;)

How about the afternoon tea and the traditional High tea once per cruise.

I heard much about the Hot chocolate and the pea soup on Alaska departures.

I am looking forward for this cruise.

And thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and for taking the time to post in this thread. :):):)

....chocolate desert in the entire world!!! It was first served on Zuiderdam during the week of 11 September 2011 and we were amongst the first to have it!! The 2nd week on board , 18 September 2011, hubby and I both had 2 apiece in the MDR:)

Here is a thread about them and some photos (keep in mind that what some may not have cared for about it is their opinion, my opinion, as always is mine and the Zuiderdam just does the Chocolate Purse right:D http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1669353

EDITED TO ADD: Lauranne, That is it!!! And believe me, when it is placed in front of you it looks 1000 times better and the taste...........OMG...Canno describe it without being banned from CC for crudity *Yikes*

Joanie

I hope they have something like this when we get on the ship in 34 days!!! Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off my chin....