DASH diet?

jackretired

You can manage a DASH diet on HAL ships. Make the proper choices and you will do fine. HAL does not even have to know what it is as long as you do. :) There are foods offered that will work for you.

http://dashdiet.org/

Here. Basically what would kill a diabetic. Argh.... We are all on separate "plans". The answer is: HAL has everything, every day, so go and pick what you need/want.

Don't understand..."kill a diabetic"?? DASH is rated as the #1 diet for both prevention and control of diabetes.

Don't understand..."kill a diabetic"?? DASH is rated as the #1 diet for both prevention and control of diabetes.

I'd never heard of DASH until now...and I've been reading about it on-line. Therefore' date=' I didn't understand that comment either.[/size'] :confused:

You would need to go back to several threads that have been going on recently and the carbs vs. low carbs for diabetics conversation that's been going on. Not debate, not argument, actually a good conversation. The DASH diet calls for a lot of grains and fruits, as you can see. High glycemic and high insulin producing foods. Take from that what you will. I don't want to argue anyone's view point. The "Argh...." was referring to my own struggle to stay off of the above and lose weight.

You would need to go back to several threads that have been going on recently and the carbs vs. low carbs for diabetics conversation that's been going on. Not debate, not argument, actually a good conversation. The DASH diet calls for a lot of grains and fruits, as you can see. High glycemic and high insulin producing foods. Take from that what you will. I don't want to argue anyone's view point. The "Argh...." was referring to my own struggle to stay off of the above and lose weight.

I hear this a lot but eating tons of protein is not good either.

lorekauf,

I would agree that it can be. However, Believe Me, getting too much protein without too many fats and sugars is in fact very difficult, which is also a goal of many healthy people. Many fish are the only good options and then you get issues about metal levels in some fish. Adding appropriate protein powders to some of my food is the only option. Medically at this time I have to average 60 gms of protein/day while avoiding fats and carbs.

jackretired,

To repeat and add to what sail7seas wrote, you should be fine but you will just have to be careful in your selections. Almost any special dietary needs can be met on HAL (and other cruise lines) if the person takes some personal responsibility. One problem, the more restricted you needs the less choices you will have. That is a given.

From the main foods offered on HAL, most any type of special food needs, with two exceptions I can think of, can be met IF the individual takes the responsibility to make appropriate selections and requests. The exceptions in my mind? Vegan and Low or No Salt. Vegan I cannot really address but for Vegetarians there are many good choices. Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians have many, many options. In terms of the Lo or No salt folks, they do have a special menu available each evening that you order from the night before, but in terms of the main foods offered, IMO the salt content is high.

In terms of your needs, in case you do not know this, each day the dinner menu is posted outside of the MDR and in some of the bars (you have to ask for it) so you can take your time reviewing your options and make decisions in a leisurely manner. The dinner menu for the Lido is also usually posted at the beginning of the entrance some time before dinner is served. For the MDR, at least on some ships, the lunch menu is also posted in the morning when lunch will be served there.

http://dashdiet.org/

Here. Basically what would kill a diabetic. Argh.... We are all on separate "plans". The answer is: HAL has everything, every day, so go and pick what you need/want.

I just skimmed the article in the link' date=' but this jumped out at me: "[b']heavy on fruits"[/b]

Most diabetics know that going heavy on fruit is high-carb and not good for them. So my only comment is that I don't think they should claim this diet is good for diabetics.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone who says that on a HAL ship there are so many choices, as long as YOU know what you should have, you will be fine. :)

I hear this a lot but eating tons of protein is not good either.

HFLC paleo is where it is "at". High fat, low carb, moderate protein. No grains. Lots of veggies.

The fact that I ate a donut at 9 am takes away from my credibility somewhat but I'm just passing along the latest.....:rolleyes:

Just as an FYI, you may want to look at who is saying that this is a great diet for diabetics - like the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the Mayo Clinic to name 2. You don't have to agree, but I think they may have some credibility.

I think it was created to help people control hypertension not diabetes. My doctor recommended it to me and I must say that it did just that; within the space of a couple of weeks. While I don't follow it religiously I do make sure I drink milk with all of my meals now, something that I did not do before.

I think it was created to help people control hypertension not diabetes. My doctor recommended it to me and I must say that it did just that; within the space of a couple of weeks. While I don't follow it religiously I do make sure I drink milk with all of my meals now, something that I did not do before.

Absolutely right, it was created for hypertension control, and is very effective in doing so. Subsequent studies done in 2008 and 2010 (I think those were the dates, but not positive) found that it was also quite effective in enabling/increasing insulin production. That has caused it to become an effective diabetic diet as well. It is, overall, a very healthful diet.

It does not look like a special diet to me. It just looks like sensible eating! I have no problem eating a good quality, healthy diet on board ship. Do avoid the American boxed 'cereals'. They are processed to death, and contain way too much sugar.

Anyone on the DASH diet?

Does HAL know what the DASH diet is and can they prepare it?

Yeah, you dash to the Lido and pick up as much food as possible. When that is eaten, you dash back to get more.;)

FYI, if you want a low or no salt diet, tell the dining room manager. Every night, you will be given a paper copy of the same menu that will e served the next night. You just circle the items you want, add something if it isn't there, and you will have your food cooked the way you want it. If you eat somewhere else the night before, you can go to the dining room after or the next morning to request the menu and circle what you want.

You shouldn't require any extra help or attention to follow a DASH diet. Plenty is offered that fits the requirements of a DASH.... just make good choices.

Same for South Beach.

Same for Atkins.

Same for Weight Watchers.

No need to get anyone involved in your eating plan for those sorts of regimes. Afterall, the point is it is for the rest of your life. That puts the responsibility onto us to individually manage our own food intake. :)

Low Salt requires help as does celiac and food allergies. Those situations require attention from dining staff to stay safe.

But, in the end, the responsibility still remains with the individual IMO

I am sailing with HAL in June and emailed with a request for information on requesting that gluten free foods be available at our table. Received a quick response with a checklist for which foods I would like at each meal that I filled out and sent back. We'll see how it works but initially I am quite impressed with the customer service in this regard.

I am sailing with HAL in June and emailed with a request for information on requesting that gluten free foods be available at our table. Received a quick response with a checklist for which foods I would like at each meal that I filled out and sent back. We'll see how it works but initially I am quite impressed with the customer service in this regard.

We've read here periodically about folks requesting help with gluten free foods and for the most part, they seem satisfied with how HAL helped them. Hope it works out well and smoothly for you. :)