Luggage question

bbappel

I couldn't find an appropriate place to ask this question. :confused: I need help reducing my travel weight. I've been using a 25" suitcase with expansion - and it often weighs about 42-47 lb (~19-21 kg). I haven't learned to travel light enough yet. I want to reduce what I carry and figure the best way is to get a smaller suitcase.

Has anyone found a suitcase that is an ideal size? It needs to be small enough to be easily wheeled, but large enough to hold clothing for a 14 day cruise and a few days beforehand. I know in my heart I will fill it full (without being expanded) so the suitcase has to control me.:o

The ideal person to help would be someone who takes formal wear and doesn't follow the one color plan and yet has managed to reduce the size of their suitcase.

Moderators, if this needs to be moved, please let me know where. I just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks, anyone!

Beth

We are going for six+ weeks in June with formal wear etc. we each bring one carry on and one 26" checked bag. I try to put as much heavy stuff as i can in my carry on and wear layers of my heaviest clothes on the plane ie jeans, walking shoes, jacket/coat. I always transfer any liquids into smaller travel sizes as well. My "personal" item on the plane is an oversized satchel/bag for my ipad, camera etc, with room for my purse and any last minutes things I forgot to pack. I bring scales with me too lol. Most of my cruise clothes are very light weight (anything I buy now has to be able to "cruise") and I rely on layering for temp fluctuationsI still bring clothes home I haven't worn tho lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Depending on how old your suitcase is, you many not need a smaller size, just a new, lighter weight one. We bought new luggage and found that each piece was at least 3 pounds lighter than the old - the largest one was 5 pounds lighter. Check online websites (luggage.com, Amazon, Overstock.com, etc.) - check the details for each listing and they will show the weight of each piece.

I couldn't find an appropriate place to ask this question. :confused: I need help reducing my travel weight. I've been using a 25" suitcase with expansion - and it often weighs about 42-47 lb (~19-21 kg). I haven't learned to travel light enough yet. I want to reduce what I carry and figure the best way is to get a smaller suitcase.

Has anyone found a suitcase that is an ideal size? It needs to be small enough to be easily wheeled, but large enough to hold clothing for a 14 day cruise and a few days beforehand. I know in my heart I will fill it full (without being expanded) so the suitcase has to control me.:o

The ideal person to help would be someone who takes formal wear and doesn't follow the one color plan and yet has managed to reduce the size of their suitcase.

Moderators, if this needs to be moved, please let me know where. I just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks, anyone!

Beth

We were on the Equinox for 10 days over Christmas and managed with carry-on. I swear by Briggs & Riley. It's as expensive as all get-out but if you're lucky you may find it on a good sale like I did. My husband always wears his tux on formal nights and I dress up too. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?sec=travel&cat=carry-on%20luggage&gclid=CJytv5qQxLYCFSdgMgodEj0AbA Beth, if you do a google search on packing tips you'll find a wealth of information. You aren't the only one who struggles with traveling light, trust me!

I have had B/R suitcases for over 10 years and they are the best in the business . If you have any damage to them , it is fixed for no charge . The price to purchase is more than most , but the superior quality will outlast any lower priced luggage set .

They have a smart folding system for clothing , keeps the wrinkles down .Suits and dresses are added to the interior flap and folded very well . They have a " add a bag feature" to accommodate your carry on or secondary cabin luggage .

Hands down you will not be disappointed !

We were on the Equinox for 10 days over Christmas and managed with carry-on. I swear by Briggs & Riley. It's as expensive as all get-out but if you're lucky you may find it on a good sale like I did. My husband always wears his tux on formal nights and I dress up too. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?sec=travel&cat=carry-on%20luggage&gclid=CJytv5qQxLYCFSdgMgodEj0AbA Beth, if you do a google search on packing tips you'll find a wealth of information. You aren't the only one who struggles with traveling light, trust me!

I would second the vote for Briggs and Riley. Not just a good suitcase but a good system. Their system allows you to more easily carry several smaller cases attached to the larger case. Easier for you to see how this works, but as said earlier they are expensive. If you are female, then look to the number of shoes you pack. :rolleyes: My cousin visited us last year and brought a dozen shoes including heavy boots. :eek: How many pairs of shoes can one wear at a time? I take two pairs or three including sandals in hotter climates. Also, if you are willing to wash clothes that is a big weight reducer. Or you could think like a CEO I worked with once who believed that after a few days you just reverse your underwear for the next several days. :eek: Not sure that would be appreciated by other passengers!!!! Either way, travelling lighter is soooo much easier. :)

Thanks, anyone!

Beth

The packing systems from places like Magellan or Eagle Creek help a lot. Shirts and pants can be compressed to allow for more space in the suitcase. They can also be slid into outside pockets, which gives you more room inside! The usual trick of shoving socks into shoes also helps. Packing bags [either the purchased ones or plastic bags] allows you to consolidate items like cosmetics and electric cords.

The best thing to try to reduce is shoes - they take up both room and weight. Try for no more than four pairs [sandals, walking shoes, dressy shoes, and one neutral, for instance]. It's usually easier to reduce the men's shoes - and more essential, since theirs are bigger and heavier!

Two things... buy the best quality, lightest weight suitcase you can afford. This can save you 3 or 4 pounds. Then, pay attention to the weight of your clothes. A silk blouse is a better choice than a sweater set, a polar fleece jacket is better than a sweatshirt, for examples. Other than these two things, you'll have to bring less to reduce weight. I have a lightweight 26" suitcase that would be WAY over 50# if I stuffed it. I usually use about 2/3 of the space.

When I pack I make a list of outfits I need (day and night) based on the intinerary. Pack only what you need. No "just in case" outfits. No "I might want this" items. And follow this rule...

When in doubt, LEAVE IT OUT.

Try to bring fewer shoes and purses/bags.

Skip the full size cosmetics and toiletries... collect trial sizes of your favorites.

Remember, no one but you will know if you wear something twice (or more) and you can always send something out to be cleaned if it gets soiled.

May I ask why you want to reduce your weight? With most airlines having a 50 lb limit for checked baggage, you have several pounds to spare. I'm used to DW weighing in at 49.75 lbs! I've been a backpacker for years and know mosts tricks for reducing weight, but why limit yourself when you don't have to?

Otherwise, I agree with most of the other suggestions offered. We too purchased new suitcases this year, partly because the old set was well used but mostly because of the difference in weight. The other benefit with the new suitcases is they are the four-wheel "spinner" design, so easy to manoeuvre, even fully packed.

Mike

I agree with the suggestions to buy lighter weight luggage if you can. I have purchased Lipault luggage (French) and it is wonderful. It, too, is expensive but it travels beautifully, is very lightweight, and can hold tons of stuff. I now only use what I call the medium size which I think is 25". Usually weighs in a bit over 30 pounds. It is sold through Magellan's catalog, but they also have a web site.

Carolyn

We bought two new 28" Samsonite hardside spnners last year. They don't match our carry on bags which are another brand...London Fog, but the large London Fog pieces did not hold up...I do well as far as weight and am beginning to put shoes and some heavier items in my carry on bags. The Samsonite bags weighed about 4 lbs. less than the London Fog. I also have a luggage scale from bed, bath and beyond for 9.99 and it's worth it's weight in gold. I like the option of extra room to bring souvenir type things home...last year when we left for our 12 day cruise, we were 38 and 41 pounds...gave us some space for extras...like two bottles of wine from Italy, which I have a wine bubble protecteor I bought at a winery some years back...it works great. The bags fit nicely under our bed in the cabin with one carry on bag in each larger bag.

We use two 32' rolling duffles from REI and a great little luggage scale to make sure neither is over 50 pounds. OK OK we do cheat in that we also each bring a day pack as a carry on for the heavy stuff :)

We use two 32' rolling duffles from REI and a great little luggage scale to make sure neither is over 50 pounds. OK OK we do cheat in that we also each bring a day pack as a carry on for the heavy stuff :)

Do you find your clothes wrinkle more in those? Here's mine.

21356840272719p.jpg

one trick for bringing stuff back is to pack old underwear and throw it out when you are done with it.

I've heard of that too, but underwear doesn't weigh much...and if it's that bad, it's going to ride up all the time...that drives me bonkers. Undies can easily be washed to keep the amount down that you have to pack. Or, just go commando.....LOL

The one big tip that I got here on my first cruise was to use the 2 1/2 gallon sized zip-lock type plastic bags. I use them for all my clothes. When they are full I squish all the air out and seal. When I arrive at my destination all my things are for the most part wrinkle free and organized for the drawers makes unpacking so easy. This time I'm thinking of trying the vaccumn seal bags. Hope they work as well.

The one big tip that I got here on my first cruise was to use the 2 1/2 gallon sized zip-lock type plastic bags. I use them for all my clothes. When they are full I squish all the air out and seal. When I arrive at my destination all my things are for the most part wrinkle free and organized for the drawers makes unpacking so easy. This time I'm thinking of trying the vaccumn seal bags. Hope they work as well.

There must be a trick to do this properly without causing wrinkles...I'll have to practice it. Now I fold things in tissue paper to prevent wrinkles and it works beautifully. Most of the clothes I take are ironed...the tissue paper is great for lining drawers...and I save a bunch in case I need extra protection for something I don't want broken on the way home.

The vacuum bags work really well... You do have to be prepared to ask the cabin steward if you can use his vacuum to suck out the air when you have your bags packed for the return trip home. Either chat with your CS the morning you want to pack, or leave him a post it note. DH and I have done this on many cruises.

Through the years of cruising, I have decreased the numbers of shoes / purses / wraps / and always plan on wearing my slacks at least twice on a 7 day, and the blouses can go with at least two pair - for mixing / matching options.

Enjoy your cruise

I have had B/R suitcases for over 10 years and they are the best in the business . If you have any damage to them , it is fixed for no charge . The price to purchase is more than most , but the superior quality will outlast any lower priced luggage set .

They have a smart folding system for clothing , keeps the wrinkles down .Suits and dresses are added to the interior flap and folded very well . They have a " add a bag feature" to accommodate your carry on or secondary cabin luggage .

Hands down you will not be disappointed !

I agree with the Briggs and Riley. Just purchased a set before our last cruise. Best luggage that I have purchased by far.

I swear by packing cubes by ebags & good planning. Take a lot of mix and match outfits.

There are a couple threads on the packing topic in the Fashion section of the boards. One in particular is about trying to do Europe using only a carry-on. I found the tips fascinating in that one.

As in one of the previous posts the Lipault suitcases are great and also the Travelpro Maxilite. They average about 8 lbs depending on the size.

If you have a Luggage Clearance Center near you they have great discounted prices on these.

I used to like the packing systems for giving you additional room but they also add weight. I will have to try wrapping things in tissue paper.

I also agree to put heavier items in your carry-on such as shoes, travel books etc.

Good luck, I think you getting a lot of good advice.

Many good suggestions here, but I have to chuckle....

Why would anyone care if they wear something twice (or three or four times??) Do you REALLY think others might notice? :eek: Frankly, they DON'T, nor could they care less. Same goes for wrinkles.... NOBODY cares!! Really. We are ALL traveling. Wrinkles happen. It's no big deal. Pack a plastic spritz bottle. Unpack. Hang clothes. Spritz with warm water. Done. Enjoy. :p

Archived