New Future Cruise Deposit Rules

sail7seas

We booked an 11 day cruise yesterday and planned to use our FCC. It was purchased last summer so it was $100 per person.

Our TA was told by HAL that we could not combine the OBC from the anniversary sale with that from the FCC.

She spoke to two different agents.

We decided to go with the 50% deposit and save the FCC for another time.

After reading this thread, I will ask her to check again.

When we were on the Amsterdam in December I was told by the Cruise Consultant, if we had any of the $100 FCCs, that we would not be charged the additional deposit amount when booking a new cruise and using the old FCC. At the time, we did not have any; however, we canceled a cruise on which we did have the $100. FCCs and when we booked a new cruise in February, we were allowed by HAL Seattle to use just the $100 instead of paying the larger deposit. Sounds like not everyone at HAL is on the same page with this new plan and old plan.

• 3 weeks later...

We purchased 2 FCD ($100/person) on board our last cruise. Problem is now that we are making a reservation through our TA in the US she has been told (by HAL) that we cannot use them as they are in CAD and she needs to do our reservation in USD:mad:

Not fair!!!:(

When we were on the Amsterdam in December I was told by the Cruise Consultant, if we had any of the $100 FCCs, that we would not be charged the additional deposit amount when booking a new cruise and using the old FCC. At the time, we did not have any; however, we canceled a cruise on which we did have the $100. FCCs and when we booked a new cruise in February, we were allowed by HAL Seattle to use just the $100 instead of paying the larger deposit. Sounds like not everyone at HAL is on the same page with this new plan and old plan.

The rules are changing faster than we can keep with them.

We purchased 2 FCD ($100/person) on board our last cruise. Problem is now that we are making a reservation through our TA in the US she has been told (by HAL) that we cannot use them as they are in CAD and she needs to do our reservation in USD:mad:

That is not fair!!

You need to speak to a supervisor -- otherwise you are going to lose your deposits because of that stupid rule.

That is not fair!!

You need to speak to a supervisor -- otherwise you are going to lose your deposits because of that stupid rule.

And you know what's so sad.....even when the reservation is done and it becomes time for us to pay the whole thing will then be converted to CAD's on our credit card.:confused:

And you know what's so sad.....even when the reservation is done and it becomes time for us to pay the whole thing will then be converted to CAD's on our credit card.:confused:

I know since we have quite of few Canadians on here.

But I sure hope you do not lose your deposits -- if HAL is going to nbe that nasty -- then they should give you back your deposits.

When we book here with a Canadian TA, she has the choice of booking in either US funds or Canadian funds. Sometimes, the price is the deciding factor or as this time, the currency of our FCD.

Are American TAs not allowed to book in Canadian dollars?

When we book here with a Canadian TA, she has the choice of booking in either US funds or Canadian funds. Sometimes, the price is the deciding factor or as this time, the currency of our FCD.

Are American TAs not allowed to book in Canadian dollars?

It appears that she has to book in USD and as I said when all is said and done it will be converted to CAD on our CC. I just don't understand why HAL won't let her use the FCD? OK, so instead of $100. tell me it's only worth $90 or so:rolleyes:

I agree. That is not right.

When you purchased the FCD did the FCC say anything to you re: Canadian vs U.S. booking and alert you there could be a problem? If FCC did not advise you that could happen, that is the approach I would discuss with HAL. You should have been told at the time your purchased the FCD.

IMo

I agree. That is not right.

When you purchased the FCD did the FCC say anything to you re: Canadian vs U.S. booking and alert you there could be a problem? If FCC did not advise you that could happen, that is the approach I would discuss with HAL. You should have been told at the time your purchased the FCD.

IMo

When we purchased the FCD the FCC never made mention that they could not be used for a U.S. booking or that the only way I could use them is to be booking with a CAD TA or with HAL themselves! This makes me believe that this is the loophole that HAL wants the CAD FCD booking exclusively. The way I see it, if they won't allow our U.S. TA to use it they can go ahead and collect the interest on it and refund it to me in four years. I'm guessing they won't allow me to use it as a OBC???

No, I don't think they'll agree to OBC but I think your TA should have a serious converation with them about the fact you were not advised the limitations in using the FCD.

We purchased 4 FCDs while on the Oosterdam in Dec. 2012.--2@$100 ea. for a short cruise and 2@$250 ea. for a medium length cruise. We didn't book on the ship.

A few weeks ago, we settled on 10 day southern Caribbean Noordam cruise in Dec. and used the 2 $100 FCDs for that deposit. I booked directly over the phone with HAL and it was very easy. I owed no other moneys for the deposit for the 2 of us and on my e-mailed receipt, it shows OBC of $120/passenger--a nice surprise because on the FCD paper work, the amount was much lower-I believe $50/passenger.

We hope to use the larger FCDs for a transatlantic in the fall of 2014.

You got the FCD OBC and the $140 ($70 pp) OBC for the anniversary sale. :)

I was told that the anniversary sale credit could not be combined with a future cruise OBC.

We had the opposite problem with FCD - we had bought 2 in $US and our booking was with a Canadian Travel Agent - we could not use the US FCD ... as she was booking everything in CA $ ... when we tried to use them she was told no way by HAL ... have since heard someone got HAL to reverse their's as the dollar value was almost at par at that time. We will see what happens when next we cruise.

We had the opposite problem with FCD - we had bought 2 in $US and our booking was with a Canadian Travel Agent - we could not use the US FCD ... as she was booking everything in CA $ ... when we tried to use them she was told no way by HAL ... have since heard someone got HAL to reverse their's as the dollar value was almost at par at that time. Do you have any details about this? Please don't tell me it's all due to the $$$ worth??We will see what happens when next we cruise.

If this is the case then they need to use only one currency when it comes to FCD so that there is no confusion and NO RESTRICTIONS when it comes to using them on reservations:mad:

sorry KK - didn't see this - about 1 and 1/2 months ago.

That's okay Jacqui.

In December we tried to use a couple of old Future Cruise Deposits and HAL insisted that we still had to pay the entire deposit.

I don't like the way HAL keeps changing the rules to suit them.

Let us knows what happens today.

Just as I thought, to no avail, we won't be able to use them:mad:

USD for USD bookings, CAD for CAD bookings....

They are refunding them to us:rolleyes:but to be perfectly honest I would have rather used them even if they lowered their value to reflect their vis a vis dollar value.

Now the next crapshoot will be while onboard to I purchase U.S FCD or CAD:confused: or none at all?!

Did they state those terms to you at any time?

Did FCC say this?

Did the receipt you received for the purchase of the FCD's say that?

If not, how were you supposed to know if no one told you.

Seems a rather unilateral term they placed on the contract and never advised you.

That is not a good thing. IMO

I think they should include that verbage on the receipt so you can get refund while on the ship if you don't agree or they should honor those they have sold where they did not tell the buyers exactly HOW they could use what they bought.

Had you known, you could have made a decided choice whether you wanted the FCD's good for U.S. or Canadian bookings.

JMO....

Just made a FCD on my recent NA cruise. No problem doing an open booking without choosing a particular voyage.

Placed $100pp down (chose the lowest tier - 3 to 10 days) and have four years from date of purchase to sail. If I opt to take a longer voyage that requires a higher deposit, I will need to pay the difference in future cruise deposit amount.

Deposit is 100% refundable if unused.

Is it 4 years to sail or 4 years to place a deposit on a specific cruise?

That's okay Jacqui.

In December we tried to use a couple of old Future Cruise Deposits and HAL insisted that we still had to pay the entire deposit.

I don't like the way HAL keeps changing the rules to suit them.

Really. That is not right. If we have an FCC for $100.00 each that is all it should cost us to place a deposit on a specific cruise.

Makes sense.

Archived