Taking the Grandkids

gators70

DW and I are taking our daughter, our son, and three grandchildren on a med cruise in June. Once we are all checked in and on board will DW and I have any difficulties debarking and bording in ports accompanying our grandkids without their parents? Obviously our daughter's children have a different last name. Is there some way we can "register" with the ship so we will not have any problems?

DW and I are taking our daughter, our son, and three grandchildren on a med cruise in June. Once we are all checked in and on board will DW and I have any difficulties debarking and bording in ports accompanying our grandkids without their parents? Obviously our daughter's children have a different last name. Is there some way we can "register" with the ship so we will not have any problems?

Check with your cruiseline, but at the very least you will need a signed and notarized letter from the parents giving you permission to take the children and also giving you permission to make medical decisions for them.

I've told this story before but I'll tell it again. Yes, getting on the plane, getting on the ship, going through immigration/customs we have been asked for proof to take my grandson on a cruise.

That said, we stopped in Victoria. My grandson was 5 and knew that we would soon be getting off the ship, the next day in Vancouver. He did NOT want to get off the ship. We left the port and walked past the immigration officer with him yelling, "no, no, I don't want to go" at the top of his voice. I'm telling you, if they will let a small child off with us, screaming and crying, then they will let anyone take kids on and off. :rolleyes: We have NEVER been asked returning to the ship where the parents were. To add to his plan, he figured that if he didn't go to sleep that night than we wouldn't get off the ship LOL. I laugh every time I think of this trip.

• 3 weeks later...
Talked to TA today and she checked with Princess.....should not be any problem debarking and embarking at ports with the grand kids without their parents.

Don't listen to your TA or to Princess. What if they are both wrong? What if you are off the ship with the grandkids and they have a medical emergency?

Get 2 notarized forms for each kid - both of which are available on the WEB. One will authorize you to act as a parent in the absence of the real parents. The other and the more important form will authorize you to have them treated if there is a medical problem. Carry form 2 with you when you are off the ship with the kids.

DON

Don't listen to your TA or to Princess. What if they are both wrong? What if you are off the ship with the grandkids and they have a medical emergency?

Get 2 notarized forms for each kid - both of which are available on the WEB. One will authorize you to act as a parent in the absence of the real parents. The other and the more important form will authorize you to have them treated if there is a medical problem. Carry form 2 with you when you are off the ship with the kids.

DON

The parents of the kids are going too. There is no need for this paperwork.

The parents of the kids are going too. There is no need for this paperwork.

You should have read the post: they were talking about taking the children off the ship WITHOUT the childrens parents. If there were an amergency while ashore, they should the medical proxies.

DON

Also, be sure to carry a pint of blood in a cooler for each person, just in case.

You should have read the post: they were talking about taking the children off the ship WITHOUT the childrens parents. If there were an amergency while ashore, they should the medical proxies.

You understand my point completely. The likelihood of needing the paperwork is slim but all it takes is a few minutes to print out and a few bucks for the notary. An easy precaution to take.

DON

I would suggest you check w/ immigration in the country(ies) you plan to visit. I recently checked for Canada and shouldn't have a problem, but I understand Mexico is much more strict. I would also bring a copy of the insurance card for which they are covered under.

You probably won't need the blood, but God forbid you need that paperwork you will be glad you have it!

Archived