Pinnacle Class ship delayed until February 2016

FoxyTerrier

Since it's now February 2016 when she'll make her appearance, she'll probably cross to Ft. Lauderdale and do Carib cruises from there. Way too early but wondering who will be her Godmother

Maybe you could be The Godfather, John. :D:D:D

Hi,

I enlarged the photo on my computer by 400% to get a better look at the ship. It looks like the lifeboats are resting on the hull of the ship. I have a picture of the Eurodam from the exact same angle. There is clearly space between the lifeboats and the hull. Hopefully, this rendering is not accurate.

Chuck

We'll have to await more details, I guess.

It would be hugely disappointing for HAL to build a ship without a full wrap around promenade. I just can't imagine they would take away that signature that is so treasured on all their ships.

It would be hugely disappointing for HAL to build a ship without a full wrap around promenade. I just can't imagine they would take away that signature that is so treasured on all their ships.

Something many would miss, Sail. We always enjoy an evening stroll on the Promenade after dinner.

Agreed. Lack of a full promenade deck was one of the main reasons we cancelled the " X" Eclipse next year in favor of the Ryndam at a considerably higher cost.

Hi,

I totally agree with you. I sincerely hope that the new ship has a wraparound promenade deck.

Chuck

Hopefully, this rendering is not accurate.

From the little details that have leaked this far it will be a Signature II, stretched 140 feet and widened 9 feet, with one more deck of cabins. I'm not the least bit worried about not having the traditional promenade.

I know I will get hit for this but I love the new size. I was hoping they would go around 120,000 tons but this is a great start. 120,000 with 2600 pax would leave a passenger/space ratio of 45.1.

I think whether like it or not in order for mainstream cruises to survive they must go bigger. Look at every new build from all cruise lines:

Quantum 167,800 Tons - Never mind of Oasis:eek:

NCL has plans for a 163,000 making the largest for them

Princess - 141,000

Costa - 132,500

MSC - 139,400

Carnival - 135,000 for their next build

Aida - 125,000 (Owned by Carnival) also their largest.

It is clearly inevitable. The Pinnacle class at 100,000 is small by today's standards. Keep up the good work HAL.

It is my understanding like Copper mentioned that the name will be chosen from one that was submitted by a HAL Seattle employee. They were told to submit a Happy sounding name. I have heard of some of the examples that were submitted, some were good, but they should have submitted my nick name Laffindam ;) :D

Honestly I think what we are looking at is not a good example of what the new ship will look like and I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that HAL would take away the wrap around Promenade Deck. This has been a trade mark of HAL's forever. Even in some of the NEW promotion videos they brag about the wrap around promenade and being one of the few in the industry to have this. I am not a betting girl but this one I would take to the bank that it is not going away.

Honestly I think what we are looking at is not a good example of what the new ship will look like and I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that HAL would take away the wrap around Promenade Deck. This has been a trade mark of HAL's forever. Even in some of the NEW promotion videos they brag about the wrap around promenade and being one of the few in the industry to have this. I am not a betting girl but this one I would take to the bank that it is not going away.

From your lips to HAL's ears!

Potsdam is in Germany. ;)

Yes Sir! Potsdam (1900-1915) is the only ship in HAL's history with a non-Dutch, actually a German, name. Potsdam is a town in Germany in the close vincinity of Berlin. She was built by the German yard of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg, at the time, the first HAL ship built at a German yard in 1899 and delivered to HAL in 1900. In 1901, her smoke stack was lengthened and she earned the unofficial name of "Pijpdam" (Pipedam) I always wondered why the non-Dutch name of Potsdam

potsdam1900-with-neautrla-lettering.jpg

According to Capt. Schoonderbeek, HAL's historian, the ship was given the name Potsdam because that was a name more familiar to the immigrants that HAL provided transportation for at that time. Most immigrants on the HAL ships came from middle and Eastern Europe and the name Potsdam would have been more familiar to them then Spaarndam which was another of the company’s passenger ships.

Potsdam is in Germany. ;)

To add to Johns comments. - she was 550 by 63 by 20

and was 12522 tons. Sold in 1915 to the Swedish-American Line and renamed Stockholm. Coverted to a whale factory ship in 1922 and scraped in 1947

She carried 282 first class 208 second class and 2000 third class. (must have been real crowded on the lower decks)

I would NOT bet against you on this one.

Whatever else we may wonder about the new ship, I don't think we need wonder if she'll have a wrap around Promenade Deck.

Yes Sir! Potsdam (1900-1915) is the only ship in HAL's history with a non-Dutch, actually a German, name. Potsdam is a town in Germany in the close vincinity of Berlin. She was built by the German yard of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg, at the time, the first HAL ship built at a German yard in 1899 and delivered to HAL in 1900. In 1901, her smoke stack was lengthened and she earned the unofficial name of "Pijpdam" (Pipedam) I always wondered why the non-Dutch name of Potsdam

According to Capt. Schoonderbeek, HAL's historian, the ship was given the name Potsdam because that was a name more familiar to the immigrants that HAL provided transportation for at that time. Most immigrants on the HAL ships came from middle and Eastern Europe and the name Potsdam would have been more familiar to them then Spaarndam which was another of the company’s passenger ships.

I should have checked the list of DAM ship names before trying to be a wise***. ;)

Interesting link between Potsdam and the Dutch (I wonder if it may have also played a role in the naming of the ship):

Another landmark of Potsdam is the two-street Dutch Quarter (Holländisches Viertel), an ensemble of buildings that is unique in Europe, with about 150 houses built of red bricks in the Dutch style. It was built between 1734 and 1742 under the direction of Jan Bouman to be used by Dutch artisans and craftsmen who had been invited to settle here by King Frederick Wilhelm I. Today, this area is one of Potsdam's most visited districts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

I should have checked the list of DAM ship names before trying to be a wise***. ;)

Interesting link between Potsdam and the Dutch (I wonder if it may have also played a role in the naming of the ship):

Another landmark of Potsdam is the two-street Dutch Quarter (Holländisches Viertel), an ensemble of buildings that is unique in Europe, with about 150 houses built of red bricks in the Dutch style. It was built between 1734 and 1742 under the direction of Jan Bouman to be used by Dutch artisans and craftsmen who had been invited to settle here by King Frederick Wilhelm I. Today, this area is one of Potsdam's most visited districts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

Never knew that, thanks!:)

I would NOT bet against you on this one.

Whatever else we may wonder about the new ship, I don't think we need wonder if she'll have a wrap around Promenade Deck.

The ship will have a Boat (Promenade/Lower Promenade) Deck! Kinda hard to get to and into the lifeboats otherwise;)

The ship will have a Boat (Promenade/Lower Promenade) Deck! Kinda hard to get to and into the lifeboats otherwise;)

Yes, true, of course,

But it wouldn't have to be a fully wrap around deck, would it?

Yes, true, of course,

But it wouldn't have to be a fully wrap around deck, would it?

Correct, it doesn't. It's hard to see if it is a full wrap-around deck on the computer generated models of the P-class ship put out so far. Only time will tell/patience is a virtue:)

Archived