Medallion Program alive and well???

localady

I was surprised this morning to see that WCB had reported that there was an award ceremony held on the World Cruise where recipients received their medallions for 300, 500, 700 days etc.

I am confused, as I thought that the medallions would fade away in lieu of the 1 to 5 star Mariner program.

I am well over 300 days and have not received my silver medallion, should I inquire about this onboard??

I was surprised this morning to see that WCB had reported that there was an award ceremony held on the World Cruise where recipients received their medallions for 300, 500, 700 days etc.

I am confused, as I thought that the medallions would fade away in lieu of the 1 to 5 star Mariner program.

I am well over 300 days and have not received my silver medallion, should I inquire about this onboard??

I would contact the Mariner Society so if you were to receive the medallion, it would be presented to you on your upcoming cruise.

(Note: Sorry Melodie, we posted about the same time. I didn't mean to duplicate the answer!)

Had a lovely conversation with Shane at HAL's Mariner program. He in fact did confirm that the medallion program is alive and well.

The computations for medallions are still based solely on SEA DAYS not any of the additional days we are awarded for spending/suites.

Based on that, I am still a couple days shy of my 300 day medallion. ;)

Nice to hear that the medallion program lives on. :D

I am very happy Mariners Society has maintained the Medallion Program and am especially happy they kept it to actual days aboard (plus Alaska land tour) and does not include bonus days for booking a suite and for spending. It's fine they do that for the Star Mariner Program but actual days makes Medallion Program special IMO

I am very happy Mariners Society has maintained the Medallion Program and am especially happy they kept it to actual days aboard (plus Alaska land tour) and does not include bonus days for booking a suite and for spending. It's fine they do that for the Star Mariner Program but actual days makes Medallion Program special IMO

We received a medallion way in advance of having earned it based solely on "actual" sea days. They definitely counted all "bonus" days.

We received a medallion way in advance of having earned it based solely on "actual" sea days. They definitely counted all "bonus" days.

The definitely made a mistake then. ;)

Congratulations on getting your Medallion early.

You, of course, will know when you actually have the proper number of days and have 'earned' it.

On our recent Westerdam cruise, quite a few people received their Copper Medallions.

In fact every cruise we have been on Medals have been given out.

Same for us except for our Oosterdam cruise last June.

There was only one medal presented as I remember and it had been a very long time since we saw so small a showing of those already holding Medallions. It was a small group at the pre brunch reception.

In the discussion I had this morning, they confirmed that it was sea days solely.

We cruisers will all be at 500 days for purposes of the 5 star benefits well before we will receive our 500 sea day medallions.

TMT-I suspect if it is unclear to us, it might have been unclear on the ships as well.

I agree!

For someone who loves to cruise, those milestones are very special. :D

I like that it is based on actual days at sea. :cool:

On our planned cruise in Sept we will receive both our 5 Star (with "bonus"days) & the 300 day Medallion (based on sea days only) on the ship per Seattle once we past the date as it is a Grand Cruise.

Ray

You might have been close. We received our 300 day on a cruise where we wouldn't have had 300 days until the end of the cruise. We now have over 500 cruise bonus days, but didn't receive our 500 day medallion. Don't expect to get it until we actually have 500 days of actual cruising.

On our planned cruise in Sept we will receive both our 5 Star (with "bonus"days) & the 300 day Medallion (based on sea days only) on the ship per Seattle once we past the date as it is a Grand Cruise.

Ray

Congratulations a bit in advance. :)

Two Milestones for you in one cruise.

Enjoy it......

All of the above makes for interesting reading.

It has occurred to me that a pax could be 5 Star while having only a Copper Medallion. No wonder we see a lot of confusion about the Mariner program!!

I didn't actually do the arithmetic but yes, I think that could happen if the person is in a Suite so gets double days and spends $300 for each day they are aboard. They cannot get a bonus spending day any higher than the total number of days of their cruise. That is the arithmetic I didn't bother fiddling around with. :)

That is why I think it special they continue to keep Medallion Program at actual days exclusive of bonuses.

I didn't actually do the arithmetic but yes, I think that could happen if the person is in a Suite so gets double days and spends $300 for each day they are aboard. They cannot get a bonus spending day any higher than the total number of days of their cruise. That is the arithmetic I didn't bother fiddling around with. :)

That is why I think it special they continue to keep Medallion Program at actual days exclusive of bonuses.

If a pax has 250 days x double points = 500 points = 5 star

I guess it could go a lot lower, for example: 200 days x double points = 400 points plus spending points would give 5 star level.

I agree, the Medalions mean a lot to us at least, much more that the star system, and I am thrilled that HAL has seen fit to keep the Medallion system.

We have the best of both worlds: the rewards of the star system and the specialness of the Medallion system. Someone at HAL has it right!

Of all the Departments at HAL Seattle, I always applaud Mariners Society as getting it right so much of the time. IMO... :)

Not to say I don't applaud many other departments as well but we hear the most praise for Mariners.

Archived