Park West is back on Celebrity?

Gr8Mariner

Shelbyz, your point is a good one and I mostly agree with it. The issue is whether art auctions, and West Park auctions in particular,

are the equivalent of all the other auxiliary revenue streams. Are the sales of drinks, photos, tours, watches, etc etc

the same as the loud hawking of "art' ? Perhaps but maybe it is shortsighted.

Lots of these buyers end up being unhappy which sours their Celebrity experience.

Many non buyer see it as a tacky sideshow which cheapens the concept of Modern Luxury, whatever that means.:rolleyes:

So yes, I like any activity which may keep the cost of my cruise low(er). My point is ,is this in the long term interest of Celebrity?

I have nothing wrong with most of the ship's revenue streams. As others have said it keeps cruise prices in check as the cruise lines have to make their profits someplace. But I do have an issue with what I consider misleading and unscrupulous practices.

I'd rather have my cruise prices a few dollars higher and be dealing with a totally aboveboard company than have this doubt in the back of my mind as to why this company I'm trusting with my life at sea is allowing these deceptive practices on board. It makes me wonder what else they'd do to prop up the bottom line.

I'm happy to have auctions, jewelry sales, spa packages, etc on our cruises because they are entirely optional yet they keep the base price of our cruises low. Bring it on!
I repeat: They are not optional when they take over public space like the atrium or the sky lounge. If they are placed in a room with a door that closes and all have a choice to listen to the hawkers spiel, OR NOT, then they are optional.:p

What I really dislike about ParkWest (as well as the jewelry stores onboard), is coming back to my room every day to find envelopes with "special personalized invitations" to "events" that I have ZERO interest in attending. I should point out that, while these folks were busy killing trees and wasting the valuable time of the crew members (who had to deliver this garbage), on our recent Equinox cruise:

-- Many of our roll-callers did not ever receive their Connections Party invitations; ours was delivered so late that it was almost an afterthought;

-- Events that we would have liked to be notified of, like the galley tour and the gala brunch were hidden in the fine print of the daily bulletin -- no engraved invitations for those;

-- Our final account statement was not ever delivered to our room -- we had to stand in line at Guest Relations on disembarkation morning to get a copy.

I loathe junk mail at home -- why would anyone think I like receiving it on a cruise?

Park West was on the Summit this last week.

we were passing as one of the auctions were finishing up.

The painting sold for $17,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

They had an original Rembrant. That is fascinating to me that they have these paintings....it was awesome to see, really.

Park West was on the Summit this last week.

we were passing as one of the auctions were finishing up.

The painting sold for $17,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

They had an original Rembrant. That is fascinating to me that they have these paintings....it was awesome to see, really.

$17,000?? I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I've read internet articles that indicate they have staged scam auctions to generate interest and get people in a buying mood.

$17,000?? I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't, but I've read internet articles that indicate they have staged scam auctions to generate interest and get people in a buying mood.

More than once I've watched the auctioneer call out blind bids where absolutely no one was bidding.

Like the silly --hold your cards up for $1, then $5 and so on. Trying to get you used to holding your bid cards up. :rolleyes:

Please be aware that when following the search of Park West lawsuits, you find that there are no class action suits and that no lawsuits have been successful. While I have no doubt that what you pay for at these auctions (they are also used for charity auctions on land) is an inflated price for "known artists", buyers of expensive anything should not rely on only the seller for verification of worth.

I repeat: They are not optional when they take over public space like the atrium or the sky lounge. If they are placed in a room with a door that closes and all have a choice to listen to the hawkers spiel, OR NOT, then they are optional.:p

But I don't drink and most public spaces are filled with drunks and bars...but they are optional right?

Each to his own, but my policy is to support local artists, not cruise ship artists' reproductions. Local art and sculpture shows have so many examples of interesting and appealing art in many genres. Often there will be juried art. It is so fun to see which pieces the jury felt were standouts, but in the end, art is a matter of personal taste.

In most cases you will deal directly face-to-face with actual artist, a pleasure in itself. Sometimes the price is very high, even for the local artists, but if I had that kind of change, I'd still rather pay an expensive local artist than the smooth operators on cruise ship art auctions.

Just Google Park West and Fine Art Registry and you'll see that there have been successful lawsuits against them...and that someone has posted all kinds of positive remarks online about Park West claiming that they are blameless. Not to be a complete cynic, but if they aren't connected to Park West I'll eat the overpriced poster my friends unfortunately bought for me onboard.

When I saw Park West had returned on our last X cruise, I asked how they got out of jail so soon.

One of the people we talked to in the concierge lounge was going on about the bargains she got at the auction. Unless I heard her wrong, it was in the tens of thousands of dollars that she spent. Wow.

They're posters, people.

Hi Emile:

Have actually eaten there, good catch on that.

Hey Don. Nice to see you again. The sweet potato fries are to die for.

Park West wasn't on the Summit Cruise we were both on, but they were on our Millennium Cruise we took in SE Asia.

Incidentally, at any art auction I have ever attended, even if it was just for the free Champagne, the auctioneer always asks the audience what is the only reason you should buy art, and the answer is always "Because you like it." Perhaps years ago they used to talk about investment quality art, but I haven't heard that term used on more recent cruises.

The auctioneers need to be more forthcoming on explaining the kinds of prints made on high quality printers and that are merely embellished. The auctioneers will answer an outright question with a truthful explanation, but don't always volunteer the info. It is useful to show up an hour before an auction and ask any questions one might have. I have stopped attending the auctions because we have no more wall space and I find abstinence the best control for my art addiction.

When I saw Park West had returned on our last X cruise, I asked how they got out of jail so soon.

One of the people we talked to in the concierge lounge was going on about the bargains she got at the auction. Unless I heard her wrong, it was in the tens of thousands of dollars that she spent. Wow.

They're posters, people.

I had a Professor who used to say that lottery tickets were a tax on stupidity.

Perhaps purchasing Park West art is a tax on gullibility (or questionable taste).

...One of the people we talked to in the concierge lounge was going on about the bargains she got at the auction. Unless I heard her wrong, it was in the tens of thousands of dollars that she spent. Wow....

Maybe she was a shill? Call me skeptical

I had a Professor who used to say that lottery tickets were a tax on stupidity.

Perhaps purchasing Park West art is a tax on gullibility (or questionable taste).

No one misrepresents the lottery for something different than what it is in order to get people to participate.

I have had no dealings with Park West, so I can't comment.

On our last cruise, however, they did give an enjoyable slide presentation on the history of art. I found it more interesting than the glass-blowing!

P.S. I pop in to pick up the free print they give out!!! Unfortunately, they are all sitting in a drawer, somewhere!!

But I don't drink and most public spaces are filled with drunks and bars...but they are optional right?
Sorry I don't understand how drunks and bars has anything to do with Park West auctions.:confused:

someone must be buying the stuff--or they would not be in business...must be alot of generic "art" out there!

we only object if they clutter otherwise public space when they disply their ware; waste alot of paper with ads for the auctions which are deliv daily to the staterooms; & on Royal C when they do the auction in the main atrium & the noise wafts all the way up into the cabins near the center...

other than that it does not affect our cruise...we are able to buy local pieces in the ports...

someone must be buying the stuff--or they would not be in business...must be alot of generic "art" out there!

we only object if they clutter otherwise public space when they disply their ware; waste alot of paper with ads for the auctions which are deliv daily to the staterooms; & on Royal C when they do the auction in the main atrium & the noise wafts all the way up into the cabins near the center...

other than that it does not affect our cruise...we are able to buy local pieces in the ports...

Thank you, my point exactly.

No one misrepresents the lottery for something different than what it is in order to get people to participate.

I agree with your thoughts on Park West, but the stupid tax (lottery) isn't misrepresented? I think you're off base on that ;)

8808888_600x338.jpg

I agree with your thoughts on Park West, but the stupid tax (lottery) isn't misrepresented? I think you're off base on that ;)

8808888_600x338.jpg

Isn't it amazing these are allowed to operate?

What I really dislike about ParkWest (as well as the jewelry stores onboard), is coming back to my room every day to find envelopes with "special personalized invitations" to "events" that I have ZERO interest in attending. I should point out that, while these folks were busy killing trees and wasting the valuable time of the crew members (who had to deliver this garbage), on our recent Equinox cruise:

-- Many of our roll-callers did not ever receive their Connections Party invitations; ours was delivered so late that it was almost an afterthought;

-- Events that we would have liked to be notified of, like the galley tour and the gala brunch were hidden in the fine print of the daily bulletin -- no engraved invitations for those;

-- Our final account statement was not ever delivered to our room -- we had to stand in line at Guest Relations on disembarkation morning to get a copy.

I loathe junk mail at home -- why would anyone think I like receiving it on a cruise?

Excellent points, and ones that the Hotel Director, CD, or whoever is responsible for this should be taken to task for.

I have attended Park West Auctions on several cruises on a variety of cruise lines. They are all very similar in approach and in inventory. My wife and I have purchased several items of art for our house over the years and have always received them in a timely manner, properly framed as we requested. We are certainly not trained art people, but we have taken the time to learn about the various ways art is produced and the types of artists that are normally sold by Park West Gallery. We have not bought the art as an investment, but because we liked it and the way that it brings beauty to our home. I would suggest that this is the only way for you to enjoy the Park West At Sea experience. If you wish to buy artwork as an investment, please take the time to learn about the art business and art work before buying any artwork for it's appreciation potential. A cruise is probably not the best place to make those types of decisions. The seller is usually not the best person to rely on for advice. I hope this helps this discussion along.

Archived