Formal Night Theater

lucky292

You can go to the theater dressed either formally or smart casual on formal nights. You'll see lots of people there dressed both ways - although the majority will be still wearing their formal clothing from dinner.

Greetings

Dress for the theater is suppose to be Smart Casual every night.

Good Sailing

Tom

Don't believe all you read on here.

My daughter whilst working on Silhouette in 2012 was positioned at the entrance to the theatre and was told to turn people away if they were not in formal attire on a formal night. People did what they were told too!

It didn't happen on every cruise and I can't remember if it was a rule a particular CD imposed. So beware!

We did not do formal nights just recently when we sailed the Reflection. We went out at night to theater and other places on the ship to see other acts....most people where dressed up for formal night. We still dressed smart casual---and did not feel out of place, but, majority where dressed for formal night.

We were on the Summit the week of April 13. At the opening night theater show, Alexander, the cruise director, announced that tomorrow night's show would have a formal dress code. If you didn't want to dress formal to attend the show, you were welcome to sit in the balcony seating accessible from Deck 5.

The next night there were signs outside the theater at the Deck 4 entrances with the same message. I didn't see anybody try to violate it so not sure if they were actually enforcing it otherwise. And everybody in the main seating area looked nice. On second thought I guess we actually violated it, as we were slightly less than formal b/c my husband had a jacket but no tie. But at least it looked like we were trying. :D

My daughter whilst working on Silhouette in 2012 was positioned at the entrance to the theatre and was told to turn people away if they were not in formal attire on a formal night. People did what they were told too!

It didn't happen on every cruise and I can't remember if it was a rule a particular CD imposed. So beware!

She was given incorrect instructions. The following is a direct quote from the Celebrity website:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. (emphasis added)

Of course, there's often a disconnect between Celebrity HQ and their ships, so your daughter's instructions may well have been a reflection of shipboard interpretation of corporate policies.

Think its bad form to tell people not to believe what they read here. The info given on this thread is correct according to the Celebrity web site. If one ship or person goes rogue from the stated policy, that person should be called on it but the info given here was correct.

Last cruise on formal nights we wore smart casual as we were in Blu and didn't need to dress formally if we did not want too. No problem in the theatre, at all, or anywhere else on the ship. I can't believe we would be turned away.

Think its bad form to tell people not to believe what they read here. The info given on this thread is correct according to the Celebrity web site. If one ship or person goes rogue from the stated policy, that person should be called on it but the info given here was correct.

So telling the truth is bad form?

My daughter has been working on Celebrity ships for three years and is currently on Constellation.

Her immediate superiors are the Hotel Director and the Cruise Director and she does what she told to do.

So telling the truth is bad form?

My daughter has been working on Celebrity ships for three years and is currently on Constellation.

Her immediate superiors are the Hotel Director and the Cruise Director and she does what she told to do.

Perhaps she was told to deny entrance to anyone not adhering to the published dress code, which as another poster has shown is smart casual and above, and not specifically in formal wear. I have seen many people dressed according to the published dress code, even on formal night. We sometimes do a specialty restaurant that night, and have always enjoyed the theater performances those nights, and on the main floor, not the balcony.

She was given incorrect instructions. The following is a direct quote from the Celebrity website:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Of course, there's often a disconnect between Celebrity HQ and their ships, so your daughter's instructions may well have been a reflection of shipboard interpretation of corporate policies.

You may feel it was incorrect information but we were told the same thing on our cruise in March on the Silhouette. An announcement was made in the theatre the night before formal night that "tomorrow dress code for the theatre was formal". On our way out, asked the CD and she said formal but if you wanted to be casual we could sit in the balcony and no one would bother us.

On our way out, asked the CD and she said formal but if you wanted to be casual we could sit in the balcony and no one would bother us.

Although it goes against Celebrity's stated policy I have no problem with this. I much prefer sitting in the balcony where I get to look down on all the monkey-suited stooges in the cheap seats :D

You may feel it was incorrect information but we were told the same thing on our cruise in March on the Silhouette. An announcement was made in the theatre the night before formal night that "tomorrow dress code for the theatre was formal". On our way out, asked the CD and she said formal but if you wanted to be casual we could sit in the balcony and no one would bother us.

I would have looked up the Hotel director and failing to get his agreement to follow celebrity policy, a note would have gone off to the askmichael email address with names and dates. I don't take "independent making up of the rules" well..... Oh, Espirit, that note would have included your daughter's name, if she was the one turning people away who were following celebrity's published policy. I do what I am told works well except if you see someone violating a corporate policy...in which case, just like in the army, you are supposed to speak up.

I would have looked up the Hotel director and failing to get his agreement to follow celebrity policy, a note would have gone off to the askmichael email address with names and dates. I don't take "independent making up of the rules" well..... Oh, Espirit, that note would have included your daughter's name, if she was the one turning people away who were following celebrity's published policy. I do what I am told works well except if you see someone violating a corporate policy...in which case, just like in the army, you are supposed to speak up.

Whatever makes you happy

Archived