1-2-3-Go Unfair to single passengers

jmarkkasper

The 1-2-3-Go promo ends tomorrow and I have held off booking because of the unfairness of the promo toward single passengers. I reconciled myself to paying double fare as a single traveler because there is a group on board I have travelled with previously and want to go. BUT...then I find that even though I am paying TWO fares, I am only entitled to ONE option for the promo. What am I going to do with TWO drink packages (I asked; I can't get a second one so I can buy all you cruisemates free booze) and if I pick the free gratuities are they going to double-tip my steward, etc? (I'm thinking not!) This cruise will give me Elite (highest) status, but it is really causing me to question my loyalty. I have called and written Celebrity to no avail. Similarly, I read on another thread they would not allow a "downgrade to a non-alcoholic beverage package when one person in a double cabin is under-age. What has happened to Celebrity's sense of customer service and concern for loyalty?!?

Yes, single travelers pay twice as much...and get exclusive use of the cabin space for two people, pay one set of gratuities, and, last I checked, weren't offering to make up for the monies not spentby the second guest in the cabin. No, I 'm not one of the heartless "we people," and I do wish there was a way to design single cabins a la Cunard's old ships. I also wish the single travelers could be offered a better single supplement after final payment if a ship isn't full.

That said, the cruise lines aren't in business to solve the economy of scale acheived by travelling couples for singles. If you tipped twice and spent twice as much as I do on my on board account, I'd say you were welcome to double dip, but I don't believe that you'd happily sign up for that.

I've travelled as part of a couple, but I've also shared a cabin when I was single...

Good luck finding a trip that makes you happy- getting more freebies should be less important than having a great time in new places with new friends!:)

Andrew

Yes, single travelers pay twice as much...and get exclusive use of the cabin space for two people, pay one set of gratuities, and, last I checked, weren't offering to make up for the monies not spentby the second guest in the cabin. No, I 'm not one of the heartless "we people," and I do wish there was a way to design single cabins a la Cunard's old ships. I also wish the single travelers could be offered a better single supplement after final payment if a ship isn't full.

That said, the cruise lines aren't in business to solve the economy of scale acheived by travelling couples for singles. If you tipped twice and spent twice as much as I do on my on board account, I'd say you were welcome to double dip, but I don't believe that you'd happily sign up for that.

I've travelled as part of a couple, but I've also shared a cabin when I was single...

Good luck finding a trip that makes you happy- getting more freebies should be less important than having a great time in new places with new friends!:)

Andrew

there are couple that spend a lot and those that spend a little, and solo that spend a lot and those that spend a little. having someone with you doesn't mean you spend more. in fact I tend to spend more when im alone just for the fact there's no one telling me to stop. but back to the op complaint. she has a point if your paying for 2 people you should get the perks for both. I also think singles should get double points.

Is the third option of double the OBC available?:D

Nope--singles can only pick one option.

Kjaooo--Thanks. I didn't think I was being unreasonable. As far as half the tips...I promise I am (usually) only half the trouble.:)

she has a point if your paying for 2 people you should get the perks for both. I also think singles should get double points.
If she(?) was paying twice what most pay, I'd agree with you, but the profit in cruises only partially comes from the cruise fare. Two people drinking, gambling, going to specialty restaurants, taking shore excursions and buying souvenirs, on average, spend twice what one person does. With a seven day cruise, the cruise fare can be as little as 50% of the cost of a cruise. No one wants to be mean to single cruisers...in fact we often make friends with single cruisers because they are outgoing...but the value you get from paying double is double the cabin space, something the rest of us might really enjoy...especially the closet and drawer space!:D

Andrew

On our recent cruise a girl we had got to know was travelling on her own and had an aqua class suite, which gives her access to the blue restaurant. She wanted to take a fellow traveller who was not elligble in, and they wouldnt allow it. She had paid for 2, but could not have company, I think that is unfair

On our recent cruise a girl we had got to know was travelling on her own and had an aqua class suite, which gives her access to the blue restaurant. She wanted to take a fellow traveller who was not elligble in, and they wouldnt allow it. She had paid for 2, but could not have company, I think that is unfair

see that I don't get. she was gonna take a table for 2 up any way why not let her have company. theres no money lost to company its just a stupid rule

If she(?) was paying twice what most pay, I'd agree with you, but the profit in cruises only partially comes from the cruise fare. Two people drinking, gambling, going to specialty restaurants, taking shore excursions and buying souvenirs, on average, spend twice what one person does. With a seven day cruise, the cruise fare can be as little as 50% of the cost of a cruise. No one wants to be mean to single cruisers...in fact we often make friends with single cruisers because they are outgoing...but the value you get from paying double is double the cabin space, something the rest of us might really enjoy...especially the closet and drawer space!:D

Andrew

but when a couple goes the husband get the points and the wife get the points there not divide between them. if your going to charge us for both give us what we pay for. as I said before just because your going solo doesn't mean you spend less. in fact id say it means your likely to spend the same as a couple or more just for the fact that if the double price doesn't stop you, then you probably have a little money to throw around.

we also only eat half as much, use only half as many towels and dishes. I think the best way a cruise line could deal with it is just flat fee for a room like hotels do. no more per a person price. lets be honest the only reason that is not done already is cause they like to advertise those low prices with the extremely little pp next to it lol

but when a couple goes the husband get the points and the wife get the points there not divide between them. if your going to charge us for both give us what we pay for. as I said before just because your going solo doesn't mean you spend less. in fact id say it means your likely to spend the same as a couple or more just for the fact that if the double price doesn't stop you, then you probably have a little money to throw around.

we also only eat half as much, use only half as many towels and dishes. I think the best way a cruise line could deal with it is just flat fee for a room like hotels do. no more per a person price. lets be honest the only reason that is not done already is cause they like to advertise those low prices with the extremely little pp next to it lol

We will never agree. If a couple spends $1000.00 each on a cruise, and spends $1000.00 each on their accounts, they've spent $4000.00. If a single person takes a cabin, and, tagging along with the couple, as they're friends, has only spent $3000.00. As an individual, she's spent more, but overall, she's spent $1000.00 less than the couple in the next identical cabin. Why would the cruise line reward that single person with the same perks given to each half of the couple when they are getting 50% less revenue from her on board account.

Yes, we all know couples that brag that they spend next to nothing, and I'm sure that there are singles who spend like it's going out of style...but the cruise line isn't making a decision based on what this particular single person is doing, as lovely as she is. They are basing their business on averages...it's the way business models work. As for food and towels, those items don't cost the line much at all, so the 'savings' don't even begin to make up for the loss in average spending...

I wish there was a fair way to do this, because I know lots of singles who I'd like to help get a bargain...until you tell me that I have to subsidize them AND every other single person out there. As nice as my single friends are, most here don't want to subsidize them for me to have a fun cruise with them either. On an individual basis, it's so little money, why don't they do this? But with the averages being what they are, and all those 'so little' bits of money added together, it's a significant cost to the line.

Andrew

If you are a single definately do not pay the double rate, the single supplement should be something like 175%-150%. This means you are paying a double rate for the room and some of the service associated with it, and a single rate for your food and service etc.:D

T Similarly, I read on another thread they would not allow a "downgrade to a non-alcoholic beverage package when one person in a double cabin is under-age.

We took this package with the 123 go promo and my DH does not drink alcohol. He will drink the soda and none premium bottled water...

Andrew

I haven't yet been on my first cruise so I am speaking out of ignorance (and will be travelling with my wife) but given the number of single holiday makers I fail to see why a single supplement is not available. I also fail to see why it needs to wait till the ship is full.

I haven't yet been on my first cruise so I am speaking out of ignorance (and will be travelling with my wife) but given the number of single holiday makers I fail to see why a single supplement is not available. I also fail to see why it needs to wait till the ship is full.

Simple math. The ship is a business. When there is extra supply, they reduce prices. But they won't know the demand until closer to the cruise, thus can determine if giving a discount is in their financial best interests. Alloting cabins far ahead of time at150% of double occupancy rates assures only that the line will make less money. :cool:

I understand the point you are trying to make and feel your pain (OK, the big pain is really paying 2 cruise fares so you can cruise) but at the same time I also understand X's point. To offer you a reduced price on the 2nd fare would mean they are actually charging something for this "free" offer which may actually be against various consumer legislation (ie, how can something be free if you get a discount for not taking it?).

Ultimately I think it's a good promo and like any promo, doesn't work for everyone. Depending on the sail date you may want to book the 123 and then see if the Double Up program that is coming this weekend works better for you.

Good luck.

but the profit in cruises only partially comes from the cruise fare. Two people drinking, gambling, going to specialty restaurants, taking shore excursions and buying souvenirs, on average, spend twice what one person does.

There is no guarantee that a cruiseline will make more money off a couple. My husband and I frequently leave a ship with way less than $50 combined spent on top of our mandatory gratuity on our cruise cards. We don't drink but 1 or 2 drinks all cruise, we also don't gamble, go to specialty restaurants, shop onboard, or use cruise ship excursions. I would hazard most solo cruisers spend way more onboard than we do combined, since we don't spend on-board.

I think it sucks that singles have to pay double, but understand why they do. However, when each fare paid receives a bonus, they should have received one for each fare. For 1-2-3, that seems to only cover the option if they take the OBC, they should get OBC for both paying fares. You can't give someone two drink packages, well you could, but since it is unlimited it wouldn't make sense. Or maybe the company should double tip the steward if that option is chosen! Benefits are often per cabin, so if that was the case, it would make sense to only receive one, but 1-2-3 is not one thing per cabin.

As for the single dining in Aqua, she should have been allowed a guest in. She paid for two spots in Aqua, after all.

Why not offer a free cruise to a friend or family member? The OBC or gratuities freebie would be double, thus reducing your costs. Perhaps they'd be willing to pay for transportation to and from the port of embarkation, making it a true win-win solution.

If you can't find anyone interested, I'm sure a post here offering a free cruise would elicit a response or two! :D

I paid the single supplement for my cruise last fall (TA on the Silhouette) - I have no complaints since that's what they charged me and I accepted.

One morning I asked the captain's club hostess while I was in the elite lounge for breakfast (tuscan grill) if it was possible get a second set of coupons. I paid for two people for my cabin. She said, "sorry no".

What I didn't understand was that she had a bunch of coupon sheets in her hand! Clear as day yet, I couldn't get one after politely asking. Why did she have them? Did she pass them out to certain people?

Monica

Archived