Cabin Steward does what?

PinotBlanc

After a few cruises w/Celebrity, I've noted the infrequent changing of sheets/towels and scimping on tissues/tp/bar soap.

The cabin steward makes the bed, turns the bed down, delivers ice, daily ship schedule and bed chocolates.

What else does the cabin steward do?

How often is bedding scheduled for change? We took a 10 day cruise and did not get the sheets changed. We took a 14 day cruise and beds were changed once.

Can cruisers request fresh daily wash cloths and towels without resorting to dropping things on the floor?

When is a soap chip replaced?

After a few cruises w/Celebrity, I've noted the infrequent changing of sheets/towels and scimping on tissues/tp/bar soap.

The cabin steward makes the bed, turns the bed down, delivers ice, daily ship schedule and bed chocolates.

How often is bedding scheduled for change? We took a 10 day cruise and did not get the sheets changed. We took a 14 day cruise and beds were changed once.

Can cruisers request fresh daily wash cloths and towels without resorting to dropping things on the floor?

Have never had problem with room steward cleaning cabin. The cabin is cleaned morning and evening. We leave used towels on shower floor that need to be replaced. Believe if you hang towels on rack, that indicates you do not need fresh towels. I generally pull the sheets off bed when I want clean sheets as I do not believe the sheets are changed as often as I prefer.

On 14 day cruise, new bars of soap and shampoo were left on counter.

You can request sheet change, more towels, etc. I leave notes for things I would like done if I do not see room steward.

*Believe that there is a sign in the bathroom that states Celebrity Save the Waves Program. Sign says that if you do not need fresh towels to please hang towels back on towel rack. Celebrity saves water with less laundry*

We had sheets changed one time during a 15 night sailing. This was the first time that the soap was not changed after a use or two. I tried not to throw them on the floor, but they didn't get replaced when I did not. The T-paper was the worst that ever touched my body! I will definitely take my own the cruise.

We had sheets changed one time during a 15 night sailing. This was the first time that the soap was not changed after a use or two. I tried not to throw them on the floor, but they didn't get replaced when I did not. The T-paper was the worst that ever touched my body! I will definitely take my own the cruise.

I would definitely not use any other lavatory paper. Anything too thick will probably cause a blockage :eek:.

Hi Penny:)....I see no fault in putting the towels on the floor. But maybe

that is just me:eek:....when I shower and dry off? My towel goes on the

floor....

Of course if you want additional towels, I would think all you would need

to do is ask.

I have never done a 14 night cruise so have no idea if the sheets are

changed multiple times or not. I have been on 3 ten night sailings and

I don't remember how many times the sheets were changed.

I have never had issues with the toilet paper and bringing my own

has never even crossed my mind.

We took a 10 day cruise and did not get the sheets changed. We took a 14 day cruise and beds were changed once.

I would NOT be happy with this and would have said something to the stateroom attendant.

I'm sure I recall reading here that the policy is that bedding is changed every 3 days unless the passenger requests otherwise.

Our cabin stewards are almost always fantastic. With very rare exception they quickly do a great job in cleaning our bathroom, making the beds, cleaning the cabin, bringing fresh linen and anything else we ask them to do.

While they don't often change the soap they always make sure there is a minimum of one unopened one on the counter - same with making sure there is extra shampoo and other toiletries there. I actually prefer that they don't automatically throw the old soap away - why waste it before I need it replaced.

I don't know how often they change the bed sheets but I do know that they will do it on request whenever you like - just ask or leave a note on the bed.

Our towels are always replaced when we leave them on the floor, as per the signs, and sometimes even if we don't (or re-hung so nicely we can't tell the difference). We also ask at the beginning of the cruise for an extra towel and they always remember to leave it. On those rare times we've needed fresh towels mid day we've gotten them quickly on request.

Our cabin stewards also take care of other cabin needs on request. I've asked them to chill wine, bring extra glasses, maintain bottled water in the cabin and even to set up for a party in our cabin (extra wine glasses and snacks) and they've always taken care of our requests.

If you ever find there is something you'd like your cabin steward to do that they haven't automatically taken care of be sure to ask. I think there are some things certain employees just are not aware of or which are different in their customs, or which they are told not to do automatically, which they are quick to take care of when requested.

...The T-paper was the worst that ever touched my body! I will definitely take my own the cruise.

We thought about that once, but then I realized that the T-paper on board is probably specially designed to work with the ship's waste water and plumbing systems. I've since read that this is the case many times on these boards. It's just one of those tough things on cruises that we just have to live with.:rolleyes:

Interesting thread. On our most recent 3-week cruise with HAL, we never had any issue with towels, TP, soap, etc., and the cabin was kept in immaculate condition. I must admit, however, that I have no idea how often the sheets were changed. The question that arises is how often do people change their sheets at home, and would that frequency be appropriate during a cruise?

Interesting thread. On our most recent 3-week cruise with HAL, we never had any issue with towels, TP, soap, etc., and the cabin was kept in immaculate condition. I must admit, however, that I have no idea how often the sheets were changed. The question that arises is how often do people change their sheets at home, and would that frequency be appropriate during a cruise?

There have been threads about this in the past and we all seem to

have VERY different thoughts about what is considered enough....

even at home.:eek:....I will do a search and see if I can find the thread.

All I know, I live alone and may change my sheets every 2 weeks.....

I recall others acting as if that is awful:rolleyes:.....I don't change my

sheets every other day, that is for sure. I think I read that

somewhere......if folks want to do that? More power to them;)

But I only do laundry once a week....and the linens are not always

part of it. (Towels, yes)....bed sheets? Nope.

On the subject of linens, can anyone tell me if Celebrity stewards put a flat sheet under the duvet in addition to the bottom sheet (used to be a fitted one but is now just a flat one tucked under the mattress). I cannot stand having just the duvet at night.

There have been threads about this in the past and we all seem to

have VERY different thoughts about what is considered enough....

even at home.:eek:....I will do a search and see if I can find the thread.

All I know, I live alone and may change my sheets every 2 weeks.....

I recall others acting as if that is awful:rolleyes:.....I don't change my

sheets every other day, that is for sure. I think I read that

somewhere......if folks want to do that? More power to them;)

But I only do laundry once a week....and the linens are not always

part of it. (Towels, yes)....bed sheets? Nope.

I hope I haven't opened a Pandora's Box with my musing. :eek:

I hope I haven't opened a Pandora's Box with my musing. :eek:

No, not to me:).....I was posting about musings I have read before.:eek:

Here, read this thread....I guess some folks think the sheets ought

to be changed daily. I guess I am just easy, but I just don't expect

the sheets to be changed every day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704238&highlight=changing+sheets+

The wife would kill me, but we change sheets once a week at home. If they aren't soiled by an unusual occurrence, why should they be changed more often on a cruise ship?

On the subject of linens, can anyone tell me if Celebrity stewards put a flat sheet under the duvet in addition to the bottom sheet (used to be a fitted one but is now just a flat one tucked under the mattress). I cannot stand having just the duvet at night.

Oh, from memory, I think I have always had a sheet under the duvet.

You want a flat sheet touching your skin and then the duvet on top.

That sounds normal to me:)

Towels changed twice a day.

Sheets every third day.

Soaps, etc always a full spare set on the side

Ice cubes daily - more when we asked.

Cabin always cleaned very quickly whilst we were at breakfast.

Did not see our Steward much but he gave us his phone number if we needed him.

Fantastic service which is appreciated even more now we are home:eek:

The wife would kill me, but we change sheets once a week at home. If they aren't soiled by an unusual occurrence, why should they be changed more often on a cruise ship?

Because there is nothing nicer than getting into a bed made up with fresh crisp linens.

With the great atmosphere, sea air and wine, unusual occurrences tend to occur far more frequently than when at home;)

I know others have told you not to bring your own T-paper. It is extremely important that you don't. Ships and even my little boat all have to use biodegradable paper. Thicker could cause lots of problems, not to mention waste is treated and discharged.

So I'm going to ask a dumb question - how do you know how often they change the sheets. Do you mark them? To me they feel the same, or maybe I'm so tired after a long day of cruising that I don't notice the difference.

Our tips were prepaid. Our cabin serviced close to last every day.

The last tp roll (the back up!) went down to a quarter inch twice. I picked up more at a restroom. I left notes on the bathrom mirror and rcvd a roll of tp the next day.

We did not get a back up on soap. Pool towels were not picked up for a couple of days. Our wash cloths never dried. I plan to drop items in the shower after these informative posts.

Bedding on Celebrity covers a bare plastic composition mattress pad. with no cotton layer like a baby crib pad. The plastic makes a difference and, in my opinion, the reason to change the sheets more often.

Our cruise was very good. These comments did not affect our impression. This is one of the few times we did not tip the steward extra for his service. The ten day cruise with no bedding change had other problems, not re bedding, with the cabin steward.

Penny

Our tips were prepaid. Our cabin serviced close to last every day.

The last tp roll (the back up!) went down to a quarter inch twice. I picked up more at a restroom. I left notes on the bathrom mirror and rcvd a roll of tp the next day.

We did not get a back up on soap. Pool towels were not picked up for a couple of days. Our wash cloths never dried. I plan to drop items in the shower after these informative posts.

Bedding on Celebrity covers a bare plastic composition mattress pad. with no cotton layer like a baby crib pad. The plastic makes a difference and, in my opinion, the reason to change the sheets more often.

Our cruise was very good. These comments did not affect our impression. This is one of the few times we did not tip the steward extra for his service. The ten day cruise with no bedding change had other problems, not re bedding, with the cabin steward.

Penny

Sounds like things were terribly wrong in your cabin. If this happens again, or to anyone reading this, you need to do one of two things: Call the Assistant Chief Housekeeper (you are already tipping this person in your daily tips) and discuss the matter with them or go to customers relations and ask for an "Attention to Detail" card to fill out turn in ASAP. There is no sense waiting until the end of the cruise to complain when this can be corrected much sooner. Both methods of complaint should get quick attention, if they don't go to guest relations and ask to speak to the hotel director or assistant and ask for a change in stewards. For better or worse someone on the ship will get the best steward and someone will get the worse, and it sounds like yours either needed more training or wasn't making the cut.

Because there is nothing nicer than getting into a bed made up with fresh crisp linens.

With the great atmosphere, sea air and wine, unusual occurrences tend to occur far more frequently than when at home;)

Two very good points!

Archived