Cabin Steward does what?

PinotBlanc

I dislike dropping the towels on the floor. I just tell my cabin attendant that if the towel has been used, please replace it. Never had a problem.

It has nothing to do with "saving the waves" but everything to do with "doing less laundry." :rolleyes:

We always try to use our towels twice, but more often than not our cabin stewards take them all twice a day, even when they are hung on the rail.

I always bundle the used ones up, along with the face cloths in the bottom of the shower. That way, they can easily pick them up in one go.

We noticed that the shampoos, soaps etc were very sparse on Solstice. Not until I had used the last dregs in the bottles did a replacement appear.

I never notice the bed linen being changed :eek:. I'm always too tired, happy, full of food and drink and excited about the next day when I go to bed to notice.

quote by U2cruiser:

"I never notice the bed linen being changed :eek:. I'm always too tired, happy, full of food and drink and excited about the next day when I go to bed to notice"

VERY GOOD:D:D:D

Wow! I've been doing things wrong my whole life :eek:. I didn't know that I have to change my towels daily and my sheets more than once a week :o.

If I do want something changed, I drop them on the floor either after breakfast (right before I leave the ship or do activities in the ship) or right before dinner. When I get back, they're usually already changed so they don't become bothersome or get in the way.

I never notice the bed linen being changed :eek:. I'm always too tired, happy, full of food and drink and excited about the next day when I go to bed to notice.

That to me spells great vacation :D.

I had one issue at the beginning of my recent cruise and spoke with

my cabin attendant and it was fixed right away.

During the week, (Can't recall which day) I got a phone call from

Housekeeping asking if everything was ok and did I have everything

I needed?.....first time that has happened. Nice touch:)

What else does the cabin steward do?

How often is bedding scheduled for change? We took a 10 day cruise and did not get the sheets changed. We took a 14 day cruise and beds were changed once.

Can cruisers request fresh daily wash cloths and towels without resorting to dropping things on the floor?

When is a soap chip replaced?

how often do you change the sheets at home? how often do you change your towels? how often do you unwrap a new bar of soap?

frankly, once over a 14 day cruise is perfectly acceptable to me.. change the sheets once a week. same with towels unless you are too good to hang them up nicely to air dry out. I mean really? what are doing, rolling in mud that they get filthy every time you shower?

I get frustrated when I abide by the 'hang if you wish to reuse and save energy' sign in the cabin and it gets ignored.

I would NOT be happy with this and would have said something to the stateroom attendant.

I'm sure I recall reading here that the policy is that bedding is changed every 3 days unless the passenger requests otherwise.

Interesting thread. On our most recent 3-week cruise with HAL, we never had any issue with towels, TP, soap, etc., and the cabin was kept in immaculate condition. I must admit, however, that I have no idea how often the sheets were changed. The question that arises is how often do people change their sheets at home, and would that frequency be appropriate during a cruise?

My thoughts exactly! Do you really need new sheets every 3 days? You are the only one sleeping in them, same as your sheets at home. Do you change those every three days? I would guess that most people don't change thier sheets at home more than every two weeks so why do you need them changed more often on a cruise.

Why waste the resources; water, man power etc... Remember, in the end every thing adds to the cost of a cruise and changing sheets every 3 days compared to every 10 days (fleet wide) is a gigantic expense that will eventually be passed on the customer. A cost that has no real advantage or benefit other than to apease some people's obsesive-compulsive tendancies.

The T-paper was the worst that ever touched my body! I will definitely take my own the cruise.

please do not do this. this is the NUMBER ONE Reason the toilets on board end up being blocked and overflowing. which negatively impacts several cabins, not just yours, as well as some public areas as well.

the TP on board is specially designed for the septic system. anything else will not dissolve properly and will clog the pipes.

On the subject of linens, can anyone tell me if Celebrity stewards put a flat sheet under the duvet in addition to the bottom sheet (used to be a fitted one but is now just a flat one tucked under the mattress). I cannot stand having just the duvet at night.

I've always asked for this the first time I meet the steward--I don't think there is a top sheet otherwise. Other than more hangers, it's the only thing I request.

I'm with you--hate not having a top sheet, and I'd really prefer blankets to the duvet as well, but they are hard to get. Duvets are too heavy and too hot!

We've always had good service from our stewards; sheets seem to be changed every 3-4 days; I think it's easy to not realize they were changed if you're not in the room when they do it. I change once a week at home, so that is a nice luxury.

Usually there is an extra set op toiletries on the bathroom counter so that if we use something up there is another. A couple of times I've had to ask for, say, more shampoo, but not often. I usually hang my towels up and reuse them for two or three days (just like at home), but they often seem to be changed anyway. If I want new towels, the old ones go on the floor.

Rooms are always straightened, vacuumed, etc. each day as well.

We noticed that the shampoos, soaps etc were very sparse on Solstice. Not until I had used the last dregs in the bottles did a replacement appear.

this is simply MY best guess as to why: we all know someone who has done this( or have done it ourselves)...

stock up on lots of little bottles to bring back from the hotel or cruise ship or where ever. My own father probably has not bought a bar of soap or a bottle of shampoo in probably ten years.. he not only takes home the open bottle, he has been known to ask for more shampoo and always, without fail, slips in every single bar of soap provided..and in many hotels that is as many as 3 bars.

on my first cruise I ran out of shower gel first, and the lotion was not far behind. but only the gel got replaced until I emptied the lotion and tossed that. so I learned to ask up front for extras of each ( FTR I bring my own shampoo but DH used the provided stuff so we never ran out.. he doesn't have much hair...)

Our tips were prepaid. Our cabin serviced close to last every day.

The last tp roll (the back up!) went down to a quarter inch twice. I picked up more at a restroom. I left notes on the bathrom mirror and rcvd a roll of tp the next day.

We did not get a back up on soap. Pool towels were not picked up for a couple of days. Our wash cloths never dried. I plan to drop items in the shower after these informative posts.

Bedding on Celebrity covers a bare plastic composition mattress pad. with no cotton layer like a baby crib pad. The plastic makes a difference and, in my opinion, the reason to change the sheets more often.

Our cruise was very good. These comments did not affect our impression. This is one of the few times we did not tip the steward extra for his service. The ten day cruise with no bedding change had other problems, not re bedding, with the cabin steward.

Penny

Did you report this to the head of the housekeeping or guest services. If not, this cabin stewart will continue to give less than stellar service to everyone in their cabins. If you did and this type of service continued, I would have gone up the chain of command until someone did something about the cabin steward.

Oh, from memory, I think I have always had a sheet under the duvet.

You want a flat sheet touching your skin and then the duvet on top.

That sounds normal to me:)

I totally agree with you. Some cruise lines don't put a top sheet on the bed. There's just the duvet and a bottom sheet and it drives me crazy. If it's that way, then I know I need to request a top sheet ASAP. Thanks for answering my question!

I totally agree with you. Some cruise lines don't put a top sheet on the bed. There's just the duvet and a bottom sheet and it drives me crazy. If it's that way, then I know I need to request a top sheet ASAP. Thanks for answering my question!

If I am wrong I am sure someone on here will correct me. If you get

to the cabin and it is not the way you like it? Please speak with

your cabin attendant:).

I like a top sheet as well.....I am almost sure it is there!:)

On the subject of linens, can anyone tell me if Celebrity stewards put a flat sheet under the duvet in addition to the bottom sheet (used to be a fitted one but is now just a flat one tucked under the mattress). I cannot stand having just the duvet at night.

There is definitely a top sheet although it is often wrapped around the duvet. I know this is the case as often the duvet is too warm for us and we pull it away and just use the top sheet.

So I'm going to ask a dumb question - how do you know how often they change the sheets. Do you mark them? To me they feel the same, or maybe I'm so tired after a long day of cruising that I don't notice the difference.

The 10 day sheets had a gray mark from day one through ten. It appeared to be an accidental mark from the laundry process.

The 14 day sheets had wrinkles after the first night. After a change of bedding half way through cruise, a brown top sheet and other wrinkles to the end of the cruise.

There is definitely a top sheet although it is often wrapped around the duvet. I know this is the case as often the duvet is too warm for us and we pull it away and just use the top sheet.

Hi Larry:) thanks for the confirmation and hope you and Susie are

doing well.

Did you report this to the head of the housekeeping or guest services. If not, this cabin stewart will continue to give less than stellar service to everyone in their cabins. If you did and this type of service continued, I would have gone up the chain of command until someone did something about the cabin steward.

At the time, we waited day by day for improvement. Even in hindsight, it wasn't the sorts of thing to chance having an affect on the steward. He could be slow, a new recruit, recently trained, have more work than he could handle, etc. People to people. It's a Bell curve.

I expect other passengers could complain. We were on holiday and shower every evening. We never go to Guest Services over small issues.

The thread was posted to find out what I can expect and do in the future. Our cruise was very good regardless of small problems.

Penny

There was a bottom fitted sheet, top sheet and duvet (with cover) on our bed on Eclipse last week. Sheets were changed either 3 or 4 times in 13 nights. I noticed because I absolutely love crisp, pressed sheets. They make me very happy and I'll never have them in this house so I enjoy them when on vacation.

Towels were changed when thrown on the floor. Washcloths were changed if used (even if hanging on the rack). Lots of toilet paper on the roll & spares in the cabinet. They did NOT provide extra bottles of shower gel, but there was always an extra bar of both bath & facial soap.

There was a bottom fitted sheet, top sheet and duvet (with cover) on our bed on Eclipse last week. Sheets were changed either 3 or 4 times in 13 nights. I noticed because I absolutely love crisp, pressed sheets. They make me very happy and I'll never have them in this house so I enjoy them when on vacation.

Towels were changed when thrown on the floor. Washcloths were changed if used (even if hanging on the rack). Lots of toilet paper on the roll & spares in the cabinet. They did NOT provide extra bottles of shower gel, but there was always an extra bar of both bath & facial soap.

I want all of the above on future cruises. My wash cloths will go to the shower floor every morning. I'll request extra tp, and a back up of soap and toiletries.

Thank you.

Penny

I'm certain both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean use a top sheet under the duvet cover. Here is how I know. I make the bed before we leave for breakfast. I always fold a flap of the the top sheet over the top of the duvet. I learned this trick on Royal Caribbean because that is what they do. It looks very nice and "finished."

Royal's top sheets have a kind of white embroidered border with the Crown and Anchor symbol in the center. Celebrity's top sheets' borders are plain...at least in Conceirge Class cabins. Maybe big suites have more luxurious sheets.

Anyway, my bed making efforts must be pretty clumsy because the stewards always remake them much more professionally and much neater.

Probably very few passengers make their own beds. I don't know why I do, but I just do. Just habit maybe.

Hello

On Rhapsody of the seas this March sheets were changed each day.. as they would be in any good hotel, I hope or upcoming cruise next March in Solstice is as good in this respect...

Nothing nicer than clean crisp bedding each night perhaps its "old fashioned luxury" as opposed to "modern luxury"

If my bedding is not changed daily I will ask for it to be so

for the record we change our linen at home nearly every day

Best Regards

John

Hello

On Rhapsody of the seas this March sheets were changed each day.. as they would be in any good hotel, I hope or upcoming cruise next March in Solstice is as good in this respect...

Nothing nicer than clean crisp bedding each night perhaps its "old fashioned luxury" as opposed to "modern luxury"

If my bedding is not changed daily I will ask for it to be so

for the record we change our linen at home nearly every day

Best Regards

John

Hi John, you will have to ask. I don't ever remember them

changing the sheets 7 nights out of 7.

I don't sail Royal so I can't say what they do but I am surprised that

they change linens every day.

Here at home, after working all day I have no desire or need to change

my sheets every night.

I guess we all have our own version of luxury.

Good to know Janine!! We had a CC room last year on the Silhouette and kept asking my room attendant for extra bottles of shower gel and always got them. This year we have a RS on the Eclipse and have read that although we are suppose to get Bulgari bath products, they don't last too long.:):)

Archived