Optional butlers?

Balloon Man

My butler is exceptional, charming, handsome and loves to be busy and do things for us. He is no lackey. He is a class act. No idea what your experience has been but it does not jibe with mine

That has been our experience on all of our O cruises. Love those butlers and always want to take them home.

"We thought of our butler as more of an executive"

Give us a break. An Oceania Butler is Glorified Lacky. It is apparent from these posts that they

cannot fulfil what Oceania promises.

Real Butlers / Personal Chefs / Personal Assistants / Captain of your Yacht/Ship are for the most

part regarded as Family .

Its a bit like the people over on the Forum with the really big ships going on about Junior Suites.

As I pointed out these Junior Suites are a fraction bigger ,but are excluded from all others perks/

benefit's that other Suites get. I did suggest that it was a deliberate Marketing Ploy by RCI to make

these available to a certain type of passenger to go home and brag that we stayed in a Junior Suite.

"Give us a break?" What a rude comment. If you want to disagree, fine, but kindly refrain from rudeness.

Our butler was the Lead Butler and he took pride in his own work and that of his team of butlers. I am sure he would take offense at your comment that he or his colleagues are glorified lackeys. Each of the butlers who we met behaved professionally and graciously.

• 4 months later...
1) Deviate from the regular in-suite breakfast card. Look at the bottom of the card -- it says "Extended menu available upon request". Ask for that menu from your Butler, then have fun ordering from it.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the Extended Menu available to suites?

I can't imagine having a butler run a bath- that would be intrusive while you are running around getting ready for dinner or whatever, but we are really looking forward to full breakfasts and the occasional sunset dinner on the balcony, ordered from one of the specialty dining rooms.

I can't imagine having a butler run a bath- that would be intrusive while you are running around getting ready for dinner or whatever, but we are really looking forward to full breakfasts and the occasional sunset dinner on the balcony, ordered from one of the specialty dining rooms.

Don 't know about the Ph but in owners vistas and oceania suites you can order from the full MDR menu. As well as pretty much anything else you can think of.

Those lamb chops are wonderful and the smoked salmon eggs Benedict as well.

But there is really nothing like dinner served course by course for just two or you and two of your friends, a very relaxing way to spend an evening. We've done over a hundred both inside as well as on the balcony. Heaven with personal speciality restaurants right in your dinning table.😄😝😍😞u

Don 't know about the Ph but in owners vistas and oceania suites you can order from the full MDR menu. As well as pretty much anything else you can think of.

Those lamb chops are wonderful and the smoked salmon eggs Benedict as well.

But there is really nothing like dinner served course by course for just two or you and two of your friends, a very relaxing way to spend an evening. We've done over a hundred both inside as well as on the balcony. Heaven with personal speciality restaurants right in your dinning table.u

In a PH, can you invite friends (who are not in a suite) to dinner? Are the tables large enough for 4?

Orchestrapal,

I have been informed by someone who should know (!) that to invite someone to dine in your suite costs $$$. And given that even in a VS on Marina (my only experience) the table seats four, we've given up on the idea of inviting guests. Can you give us more details?

(I wouldn't doubt that they could put a "topper" on the table to seat 6 or 8, and bring in extra chairs. But do they charge us for the privilege when we could just go to one of the restaurants?)

I really would like to know the low-down here! We enjoyed the few dinners we had in our suite but really would have liked to have been able to invite friends to join us. (That didn't work out just because it didn't work out ... at the time I hadn't been told that there is a charge for guests in your suite.)

Mura

It really is whatever you want...we special ordered (in advance) turkey sausage prior to our last cruise, and we wrote "turkey sausage" on the breakfast order...and we received turkey sausage. (I don't eat beef or pork but still like sausage).

it's really whatever you want....I am sure if I asked them to make a turkey sausage and cheese omelet they would...just put on the menu what you would like.

In walking thru the Terrace Grill at breakfast, there must be 150 types of breakfast food....maybe 200? They can't list everything on a 4" x 9" menu.

(So charming that I must admit that we—or should I say "I"—probably overtipped him /quote].

Just wanted to say that we, too, are member of the "we overtipped the butler" club.

While some posters here do not want the services of a butler, or cannot or don't want to use a butler, I definitely feel that the butler has been invaluable to our enjoyment of all of our Oceania cruises.

Reservations, meals, problems, helping arrange for cocktail parties, being our go between for any issues that come up or any problems...I can't even begin to list all of the great things our butlers have done for us.

Last year, we had a cocktail party in our suite to celebrate Jody's birthday. He provides snacks, appetizers, mixers, kept us stocked with wine (basically the only thing that we paid for)....we had 16 people in our suite and it was a great party. Then we left for dinner and when we got back, he and the cabin stewards had everything all cleaned up and put back the way it was before the party.

Like I said...some posters do not know what to do with a butler...but we understand he is there to do anything he possible can to make our cruise enjoyable....and we appreciate that...

and we personally worked it at least 18 hours a day together. In addition to that I did what I had to do with a husband in political office. Then I brought up three boys. Yes, I had someone to clean the house, but I cooked and played all the other parts. Now I LOVE having a butler. It is NOT servitude. They take great pride in their profession and we admire that. For me, I just want to take a vacation where everyone takes care of all the details. So...this is what a butler is for. We have been very lucky for the most part! Everyone needs to find a way to "adjust". It is so easy for me.

Our first Oceania cruise we had a butler. I told him I didn't know what to do with him and he laughed. I told him he could do whatever he thought was necessary. He brought me breakfast or coffee every morning, made extra reservations for us for dinner in the specialty restaurants, had canapes waiting for us when we returned from excursions, took my husband's shoes to be polished, ironed his shirt and checked in with us to see if we had everything we could want. On another line, he made a cocktail party for me that I will never forget. I felt like we left a friend behind with that one. He had a college degree in hospitality.

Orchestrapal,

I have been informed by someone who should know (!) that to invite someone to dine in your suite costs $$$. And given that even in a VS on Marina (my only experience) the table seats four, we've given up on the idea of inviting guests. Can you give us more details?

(I wouldn't doubt that they could put a "topper" on the table to seat 6 or 8, and bring in extra chairs. But do they charge us for the privilege when we could just go to one of the restaurants?)

I really would like to know the low-down here! We enjoyed the few dinners we had in our suite but really would have liked to have been able to invite friends to join us. (That didn't work out just because it didn't work out ... at the time I hadn't been told that there is a charge for guests in your suite.)

Mura

We have had two guests for dinner in our OS on the R ships many times and there was never a charge. The table was big enough and very comfortable.

We have not yet tried it on the O ships and all our 2014 reservations are again

on Regatta. I hope your information was incorrect.

Oceania will put a larger (regulation height) table into a Penthouse upon request, either for a single meal or for the entire voyage.

Regatta-Penthouse-Suite1.jpg

They're fine for two, but tight for four, and particularly on the R ships, if you want to have four for dinner in the Suite, it is very tough for the Butler to serve.

I do not find it sad....it is a personal choice

We do not drink coffee/tea in the morning, we do not eat in our cabin unless we are sick

Some people may just want the extra space as I mentioned above

Lyn[/quote We have had a butler every time on Oceania and 3 times on Crystal. They have been wonderful to have. Take care of so many little things like resturant reservations, breakfast and coffee in the morning and so many other things. I could not think of not having them. Would not opt out even for a discount. But each to his own. :D

The only time we've experienced a butler was on the maiden voyage of the Marina. He was a waiter who had just been elevated to the butler's position. He was a very charming and graceful gentleman, and he did what he could to make us happy. We are also very self sufficient, but he did make restaurant reservations for us a couple nights, and he sought me out one evening when I was feeling sick to ensure I got dinner and was ok. Other than that, he was just a pleasant face when we were aboard.

Our next cruise we will experience a butler again. I have learned a thing or two in the meanwhile. I intend to ask him to bring my cappuccino and DH's coffee in the A.M. while we prepare for the day, and I hope to host a get together, or two, for new friends during the cruise.

We still don't need a lot, but there are some very special things which would make the trip more pleasant. Each of us has to decide what that may be for ourselves. The butlers will do their best to accomplish our wishes. Not as servants, but as dignified professionals whose job it is to act as a personal "concierge" while we're aboard.

Remember even if you just want coffee in the morning it will be brought by the butler. It's hard to picture anyone never making some use of the butler and IMHO quite sad.

Well, I go get my own coffee (unless there's nowhere to do that on Riviera.)

I do not find it sad....it is a personal choice

We do not drink coffee/tea in the morning, we do not eat in our cabin unless we are sick

Some people may just want the extra space as I mentioned above

Lyn

That's why we book a larger room, not for the butler.

It's not that he's a servant exactly, although that's part of it. It's the patina of an older class system that rankles. I'm sure he'll be a nice guy (why aren't some women?), and we'll probably have dinner served in our PH some night, which will be nice. We are not going to need canapes on a TA, for sure! But I promise I'll report back on this after my November Riviera trip--perhaps I'll be a convert.

On the subject of the size of the PH table--why don't they do like on Regent, where they have a larger table-top stored away that fits over the regular one, that they can use if you're eating dinner in your cabin?

Orchestrapal,

Mura

Are you referring to the top suites (OS/VS on R-ships) which have a standard height 4-top table, or just the PH suites, ?

When we cruised on Regatta (in an OS), we invited a couple in for drinks and we continued chatting until it was nearly time for dinner when our butler arrived as usual.

We asked if it would be possible for our friends to stay for dinner and he said yes, and that's what we did. It was very nice. (We only did that once during 14 nights.) There was no charge, but as I have said before, I tipped him very well at the end of the cruise.

I don't think there should be an extra charge in the larger suites which have a standard table with four chairs, and I can't imagine that there is.

I would also like to add that anyone who wants optional butlers (assuming they want not to pay for the butler, not that they not have the option not to use the butler's services, which is their right) ought to be flogged....or at least sent over to Princess or HAL!

Archived