Cunard Ship Upgrades

DDBINK1

I was just reading some of the articles that talk about upgrades being given to many of the other line's ships.

What upgrades would Cunard benefit from by putting them on QM2, QE and QV??

You might be thinking of the electrical upgrades that are to be given to several Carnival ships. These include an extra emergency generator so that toilets and elevators will still function if main power goes out. Some engine electrical systems will also be redundant to prevent loss of propulsion.

A flowrider and rockwall would sit nicely on the stern of QM2's deck 8, it might block the sun from the bar area though.
I'd put it on the stern at Deck 11, give those in the Grills extra facilities :) , and some rowers who post here even more reason to be jealous :D .

A flowrider and rockwall would sit nicely on the stern of QM2's deck 8, it might block the sun from the bar area though.

...add to that a zip line from deck 8 to deck 7. Much quicker route to the buffet.

The Cunard fleet is the youngest at sea, but QM2 will soon be 10 years old. Not sure about upgrade but maybe she is due a major refit?

Actually I was thinking of the 10 yr old QM2 and that it could use some changes to the eating venues. Add a lunch spot that is more modern of course it would be for a fee I am sure. Upgrading the outdoor activity space would be good. Not a rock climbing wall - too Carnival/RCL for me - but maybe an interactive experience of some sort to help pass the sea days. Also, I see no quality in those Art Auctions. What a waste of space and time. Sorry, very strong opinion there. The Queen's Grill Sun Deck could have individual video screens for each chair that have movies or interactive games on them for the QG/PG passengers that use that area. The Library could have Kindle's available for use for the techie passengers. I am thinking of others.

...The Queen's Grill Sun Deck could have individual video screens for each chair that have movies or interactive games on them for the QG/PG passengers that use that area. The Library could have Kindle's available for use for the techie passengers...

Sounds like an everyday scene on the NYC subway - everyone surgically attached to some electronic device. If QM2 comes to that I can the same experience by just staying home. And save a lot of money.

Heavens- I wouldn´t consider a flow rider, a waterslide or a Rock Climbing wall " upgrades" more like " downgrades" ! Uah I almost got shivers down my spine just thinking of it . LOL! What would come next- hary chest contest....! All they have to do is to keep in prestine shape and stick to what QM 2 is! A remarkable ship.

If those comments about those" improvements" are a joke- well done- you got me there- almost!

Michael

PS. Whitemarsh- Peter- I just tought of you doing the flow rider- all dressed up to the nines...!

Heavens- I wouldn´t consider a flow rider, a waterslide or a Rock Climbing wall " upgrades" more like " downgrades" ! Uah I almost got shivers down my spine just thinking of it . LOL! What would come next- hary chest contest....! All they have to do is to keep in prestine shape and stick to what QM 2 is! A remarkable ship.

If those comments about those" improvements" are a joke- well done- you got me there- almost!

Michael

PS. Whitemarsh- Peter- I just tought of you doing the flow rider- all dressed up to the nines...!

Didn't James Bond surf in a tuxedo once?:eek: He would always fit in on QM2.:D But I would recommend adding a diving board to the pool. If you are having the "hairy man contest" then the next addition is the belly flop contest. I have witnessed same on a Carnival cruise out of New Orleans. It is right up there with meeting the Captain in the Queens Room.:eek::D

I agree Jim- about Bond! Gosh I forgot the belly flop contest, how on earth could I ??! LOL! One of my favorite Cruise Lines- Celebrity Cruises installed a Senior Officers ( including the captain) against quest water ball contest. They ( and the quests) seems to enjoy that very much! Oh sometimes I wish I could read their minds ( the Senior Officers) - or maybe better not.... !

Michael

... What upgrades would Cunard benefit from by putting them on QM2, QE and QV??
Considering the February power failure and subsequent sanitary/PR debacle on Carnival Triumph, the most important upgrade to every ship that has more than one diesel/generator unit would be to make each unit as independent as possible from every other unit. This would include each diesel having independent and redundant fuel lines to the common fuel bunkers and each generator having independent and redundant connections to the ship-wide electrical power grid. And the controls and circuit breakers for that grid should be duplicated in two physically separate parts of the ship.

QM2 is ahead of the game because its two turbine generators are physically and fuel-source separate from its four diesel generators. I hope that the turbine generators are not hard-wired to the propulsion pods only; it would be a comfort to know that they could power the toilets and kitchens if need be.

Considering the February power failure and subsequent sanitary/PR debacle on Carnival Triumph, the most important upgrade to every ship that has more than one diesel/generator unit would be to make each unit as independent as possible from every other unit. This would include each diesel having independent and redundant fuel lines to the common fuel bunkers and each generator having independent and redundant connections to the ship-wide electrical power grid. And the controls and circuit breakers for that grid should be duplicated in two physically separate parts of the ship.

QM2 is ahead of the game because its two turbine generators are physically and fuel-source separate from its four diesel generators. I hope that the turbine generators are not hard-wired to the propulsion pods only; it would be a comfort to know that they could power the toilets and kitchens if need be.

Consider also the water supply on board QM2. While at sea, there has been at least one occasion where the water supply, for several hours, was cut off ship wide for "maintenance". The cut-off was announced hours prior to the shut off, but no water (from the tap or otherwise) was supplied to passengers for hand washing to use when water was unavailable for washing.

I don't know if the staff toliets were supplied water for hand washing, but I know that my cabin was not. Happily, we had a case of water (thanks to responses from CC members, most especially Capnpugwash, that it would be acceptable to bring a case of water on board) so we had sufficient water with to wash.

The following voyage reported to the CDC an outbreak of intestional illness.

I agree Jim- about Bond! Gosh I forgot the belly flop contest, how on earth could I ??! LOL! One of my favorite Cruise Lines- Celebrity Cruises installed a Senior Officers ( including the captain) against quest water ball contest. They ( and the quests) seems to enjoy that very much! Oh sometimes I wish I could read their minds ( the Senior Officers) - or maybe better not.... !

Michael

I have seen one of the water ball (vollyball in a pool) contest.

Those Senior Officers are very funny to watch. Being American I was thinking the contest was a European thing. (Eastern Europe perhaps??). I don't think any of the staff were Brits. they were missing the look and all. The guests seemed out matched too.

I would like to see the daily program provided in a digital edition. Save all that wasteful paper trail.

The Daily Programme is printed on recycled toilet paper. Carnival Corp is very green, don't you know?:eek::D

I would like to see the daily program provided in a digital edition. Save all that wasteful paper trail.
What a great idea! An excellent improvement to CH. 46 the "Dress Code" channel.

Archived