I booked a cruise to Russia via England, I have some probably stupid questions

We will be flying into Heathrow from Chicago a couple days before our cruise. I have been reading that the cheaper way to get into London is to take a train. This will be a nearly 3 week vacation for us and we will have luggage. I do plan to pack light but still there will be at least 2 suitcases plus carry on.

1) How does one manage the luggage on the train? I assume the train is the usual commuter type where what belongings you have stays with you on the train and not stowed like on a bus.

2) I read that taxi fare from the airport to central London runs about 50 GBP and about $75 US dollars. Is this true? Is there a car for hire business that would be better?

3) I thought I would get a travel card to get the most for our money. Then I see there is an Oyster card, a travel pass, and a travel card with transport. I would like to buy this before going so I can use it right away, but how do you decide which to buy?

4) Our cruise leaves from Harwich. I would like to see as much of the countryside as possible. If I do a car for hire to the cruise port, will they be willing to show us some sites along the way? I would like to see the cliffs of Dover. That seems to be roughly (sort of) between London and Harwich. Would it be outrageous to ask if there could be a stop for a pic of the cliffs along the way?

OK, I think that does it for now, any help would be appreciated.

OK, let's see...

I have been reading that the cheaper way to get into London is to take a train.

Actually' date=' the cheapest way from LHR to Central London is the underground. Second is the Heathrow Connect train, which is different from the Heathrow Express (roughly half the price, 10 minutes longer, but same tracks and station at LHR).[/color']

1) How does one manage the luggage on the train? I assume the train is the usual commuter type where what belongings you have stays with you on the train and not stowed like on a bus.

The trains from LHR (both Heathrow Express & Connect) are specially made for travellers' date=' with luggage racks. If you go the underground route, while they are basically ordinary tube trains they are configured so as to give you as much room for you and your luggage as possible. And you are at the beginning of the line at LHR, so shouldn't be crowded.[/color']

2) I read that taxi fare from the airport to central London runs about 50 GBP and about $75 US dollars. Is this true? Is there a car for hire business that would be better?

A metered cab would probably be minimum 50' date=' more like 60/70 pounds depending on where your hotel is. Car hires can be had for less - I have 30-35 in my head, but have never used one from LHR so can't confirm.[/color']

3) I thought I would get a travel card to get the most for our money. Then I see there is an Oyster card' date=' a travel pass, and a travel card with transport. I would like to buy this before going so I can use it right away, but how do you decide which to buy?[/quote']

There is a fairly long and detailed thread already discussing the merits of Oyster cards/travelcards, so I won't repeat all that info here. What I will say is that there is absolutely no need to purchase any of your options ahead of time - just go to the ticket booth at your first underground station.

. Second is the Heathrow Connect train, which is different from the Heathrow Express (roughly half the price, 10 minutes longer, but same tracks and station at LHR).

Actually, the second cheapest option is National Express coach to Victoria Coach Station :)

Do not hire a car. Not for driving into London. Unless you're a very experienced and confident driver, preferably with London experience as well (which presumably you haven't got). I've lived in England all my life and driven for most of it, and there is no way I would drive in London.

It's not because of just driving on the left. The London streets are nothing like your typical American ones - they're narrow, they curve, there's no concept of the gridiron pattern, parking is a nightmare, and they're frantically busy. You will get lost, you will find yourself stuck in the middle of a street with no idea what to do, and you will hear the sound of car horns in your ear. Good luck!

From my experience of visiting America, and particularly big cities, I'd take a taxi and hang the expense. You might save $40 or so, but frankly, the hassle of working out your route, and how the Underground works, and looking out for your hotel, all while watching out for your luggage after a long flight, isn't worth the money. Take a taxi, learn about London transport next day when you're rested and aren't carrying several large suitcases, and can take a bit of time to stand and stare. If you figure it out, you can always take the train back to the airport when you leave.

I know you're flying into Heathrow but last weeks experience of getting between Gatwick and London may be relevant

Gatwick express train may be designed for travellers but found the luggage storage surprisingly small-fortunately not all travellers had large suitcases or would have been difficult to find places for them

We got to London Victoria station and need to get across London to Kings Cross.The taxi queue was very slow moving so we decided to attempt the underground-big mistake.

There was no lift[elevator] and a set of steps to contend with.Then getting suitcases on and off the escalators was not fun never mind getting on and off the tubes with crowds of people

my husband has walking difficulties and commented that anyone wheelchair bound would be stuck-I am able bodied and found it an unpleasant experience

I presume you are spending some time in London but my advice would be don't attempt the underground with luggage

If you've arrived at Heathrow dazed, tired, jet lagged and confused then its worth every cent to pile yourselves and your bags into a taxi which will deliver you to your hotel front door. Organise travel card/Oyster etc the next day at your nearest Tube station when you are rested and ready to explore.

Sounds like great advise. I think once I have decided on a hotel, I will look for a car service to meet us and take us to our hotel. I know that the 9 hour flight will leave us a bit dazed and confused, I don't really want to have to depend on my brain to figure out train maps and eventual taxi or tram to our hotel. phabric, thanks for the link. It will make the search easier.

fabnfortysomething, your experience is exactly what I am afraid of. We are not as young as we once were and I don't want any nightmares to start with. Thanks for sharing.

dsrdsrdsr, I am taking your advise and hiring a service.

The white cliffs of Dover are well out of the way between London and Harwich, your best bet might be Constable country on the Suffolk/Essex boarder along the River Stour. If you do hire a car you drive up the A12 towards Hardwich however go past the A120 turning and turn off at the East Bergholt/Flatford turing, then follow signs to Flatford.

If your using the train get off at Manningtree station and get a taxi from there to Flatford mill.

Terri,

We're going to be flying into Heathrow in July to spend a few days before our cruise. I booked a mid-sized bus called Hotel by Bus to take us from the airport to our central London hotel. The website is: www dot hotelbybus dot com. They have rapid midi-coaches, air conditioning, plenty of luggage space and use of express bus lane. Best part is that they only charge 22.5 GBP ($34.25) per person!! They have a check in desk at Terminals 1, 3, 4 and 5. You can book online.

Enjoy your cruise!! :D

Terri,

We're going to be flying into Heathrow in July to spend a few days before our cruise. I booked a mid-sized bus called Hotel by Bus to take us from the airport to our central London hotel. The website is: www dot hotelbybus dot com. They have rapid midi-coaches, air conditioning, plenty of luggage space and use of express bus lane. Best part is that they only charge 22.5 GBP ($34.25) per person!! They have a check in desk at Terminals 1, 3, 4 and 5. You can book online.

Great, thanks!

Terri,

At that price, two people would be better off getting their own private car service....

This particular service has been discussed before on these boards, along with the merits of shared shuttles from Heathrow. There are mixed views and mixed reports.

I have to agree with Cotswold eagle the cost of £22.50pp from LHR on a coach that drops off at several hotels is not a bargain. Depending where the hotel is situated you could get a private car for £10 or £15 more and go directly to your hotel.

Best part is that they only charge 22.5 GBP ($34.25) per person!
At that price, two people would be better off getting their own private car service.
I have to agree with Cotswold eagle the cost of £22.50pp from LHR on a coach that drops off at several hotels is not a bargain. Depending where the hotel is situated you could get a private car for £10 or £15 more and go directly to your hotel.
Depending on where, and which car service, you could probably get a private car for the same price and go directly to your hotel without having to share.

This is, no doubt, a big part of the reason why these shared shuttle services at Heathrow tend to go bust, as they repeatedly have.

Depending on where, and which car service, you could probably get a private car for the same price and go directly to your hotel without having to share.

This is, no doubt, a big part of the reason why these shared shuttle services at Heathrow tend to go bust, as they repeatedly have.

It would seem that I still have a lot to consider. I think I would prefer a private car and to go straight to our hotel. Right now it looks like the flight I would likely book would arrive at 08:15 leaving us the whole day to explore after checking in. It would be nice not to spend a lot of time driving around dropping off other travelers.

I'm a new one here too. I am also arriving early in London on the 17th using :

http://www.batransfers.com for my taxi from Heathrow into central London (Bayswater) for 33 CBP for two.

We will be taking the Royal Caribbean out of Harwich on the 20th for the Scandanavia and St. Petersburg cruise. BA transfers offers a taxi for 4 and 4 pieces of luggage for 119 GBP for that trip. We are staying inCentral London at the Cleveland Hotel (W2) so maybe we could double if it's convenient.

Mel Turetzky

We have made arrangements for private car service with Justairports to take us to our hotel in the Marble Arch area; the cost is 51 GBP. As someone who has, on previous trips, taken the train, taxi, or car service, I can honestly tell you that it is worth the little extra to arrange for a var to be waiting for you. The driver will be holding a sign with your name on it, will give you a warm welcome and will assist with the luggage. It is a much more relaxing way to start your trip. Believe me, you do not want to drag luggage up and down stairs onto a train. Indulge yourself!

Harriet

We have made arrangements for private car service with Justairports to take us to our hotel in the Marble Arch area; the cost is 51 GBP. As someone who has, on previous trips, taken the train, taxi, or car service, I can honestly tell you that it is worth the little extra to arrange for a var to be waiting for you. The driver will be holding a sign with your name on it, will give you a warm welcome and will assist with the luggage. It is a much more relaxing way to start your trip. Believe me, you do not want to drag luggage up and down stairs onto a train. Indulge yourself!

Harriet

I am considering using Justairports also. Have you used them before and if not, how did you decide on this company. I am driving myself crazy trying to pick a company.

I am considering using Justairports also. Have you used them before and if not, how did you decide on this company. I am driving myself crazy trying to pick a company.

I have used Justairports 2x before, one from Heathrow to our London hotel and London hotel to Heathrow. We will be again using them in August from London hotel to Heathrow.

Our airport to hotel pickup, he were waiting for us outside the baggage area exit, the hotel to airport, he was early for the pickup. I had read about them on Cruise Critic.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived