Why are photos so expensive

Since they are a profit making enterprise, I assume they have done a thorough cost-benefit analysis and all sorts of other analysis to come to the conclusion that pricing the photos at $19.95/piece yields them the highest profit.

Exactly.

While I wouldn´t count myself into the older group and while I´m all for doing everything digital, I have to say I´d be muss less inclined to look for pics at a Screen and order them. If I look at the printout and just can take it on the spot I´m much easier to catch than having to look for them on a Computer and order.

Who told you that? Seeing as you can buy photo paper like that in bulk for around .20 a sheet it wouldn't be worth the time and effort if possible at all to remove the ink from the paper to make it look new. Much easier and more cost affective to just recycle and move on.

Several photographers on cruise ships have told us this (we asked), and I have seen several people here on CC mention it as well.

I don't love being photographed but DH does so we usually end up with one or two beyond the Diamond coupon freebies. Don't feel the price is terrible in that you are not paying the sitting fee. I always have my showcats done when they achieve a certain title and the sitting fee runs around $60 for digital photos but no prints. If I need high resolution images for an award, that's another $45 each (which really added up last year when one of my boys was highest scoring in his breed - brag, brag).

On Oasis, they also have the coded book sections where they will put your prints that are linked to your sea pass, which saves you time having to scan the rows of photos looking for yours.

We're also diamond, so we can usually find at least one print we like to use for the free photo coupon.

Slightly OT, the other thing we really like about the photo area is we usually get our christmas cards done onboard, and have found the prices comparable to places on land. If we're sailing around the holidays, then we use a formal night pose in front of the Christmas tree or other appropriate background. If we're sailing in the summer, we'll opt for the more casual "white" background fun poses option instead. This is when we'll use the kiosks and place an order to be picked up later in the week.

buy the picture package if it is available. when on the monarch last june we paid $239 for the picture package which gave us every picture they took that had at least 1 of us that were in our cabin in it. we ended up with almost 100 pictures

Several photographers on cruise ships have told us this (we asked), and I have seen several people here on CC mention it as well.

I'm not saying they don't because I have no way of knowing. However if that is the case it's a huge waste of money and loss of profit for them I don't see

Talking as a pro photographer they are great value, half the price I charge.

How many of you tip the photographer?? Not many at a guess.!

Tipping a real photographer sure. Tipping one of them on the ship that just shot in auto and really no nothing about the equipment they're using no. That is a very general statement because I have come across a few really good ones but most I would just consider a picture take and not a photographer

We're also diamond, so we can usually find at least one print we like to use for the free photo coupon.

Is the Diamond Coupon a free print, or is it a Buy One Get One Free?

I'm not Diamond yet, but slowly making my way there. This would be a coupon I would use!

Who told you that? Seeing as you can buy photo paper like that in bulk for around .20 a sheet it wouldn't be worth the time and effort if possible at all to remove the ink from the paper to make it look new. Much easier and more cost affective to just recycle and move on.

Well... If they remove the ink and use the paper again, isn't that the definition recycling? :cool:

It's just that they don't store the paper in a special container to be sent away by truck when they reach port again. They keep it on the ship to be recycled immediately. Let's assume they have a machine that does the cleaning. ;)

I would say that it sounds like a very effective way to run your own local recycle program.

I would like to see them work it like the Disney Photopass. They would scan your Seapass before taking your picture and then you could go online at home to order your photos.

They sort of do. They scanned my Seapass card before taking my photo. But this wasn't done all the time. I guess they are trying to phase this system in. But you can't view them online at home.

The Disney photopass system is very good.

I'm not saying they don't because I have no way of knowing. However if that is the case it's a huge waste of money and loss of profit for them I don't see

I'm not sure why you'd think reusing paper versus buying new paper would be a huge waste of money. :confused:

The photos are very expensive but still cheaper than going to a studio and having them done so for relatives and memories and for someone who is usually behind the camera and never gets a photos with hubby it is a nice treat to get one :)

Cheaper than a studio, but the picture quality from ship "photographers" is not nearly as nice as you'd get from a real studio. ;) Of course, real photographers in tourist areas are super super expensive! Two years ago I was lucky to find an excellent digital photographer in Hilton Head on craigslist. The pictures are AWESOME, I can put them in my digital photobooks, and she was much cheaper than the photographers recommended by hotel concierge. :D

I don't love being photographed but DH does so we usually end up with one or two beyond the Diamond coupon freebies. Don't feel the price is terrible in that you are not paying the sitting fee. I always have my showcats done when they achieve a certain title and the sitting fee runs around $60 for digital photos but no prints. If I need high resolution images for an award, that's another $45 each (which really added up last year when one of my boys was highest scoring in his breed - brag, brag).

Geri, I would love to see a picture of your boys! My email is my screen name on aol dot com.

:)

(no space)

We just took the May 4th cruise on board Oasis of the Seas. I can never understand why are photos on the cruise so expensive.

An 8x10 will run $19.95 each

Imagine when you go with the family or your kids it can run into the hundredths.

What I found funny is that they will printout all the pictures you take on the cruise hoping you will be some. If you don't buy any, they simply throw them away rather then sell them at a cheaper price and more people would be able to buy more

Even the CD package is expensive with 10 photos costing almost $150

I think the photos are very reasonably priced especially the studio type portraits on the white backgrounds.

In the UK just to go somewhere and have the types of photos taken on the ships and of the quality they usually are would cost a lot more than $20 a photograph.

We love having some family pictures taken when we cruise for the good value.

Is the Diamond Coupon a free print, or is it a Buy One Get One Free?

I'm not Diamond yet, but slowly making my way there. This would be a coupon I would use!

Free print, not a buy one, get one.

Yes, one of the coupons we enjoy.

They don't exactly throw them away. They actually wash off the ink and reuse the paper.

The simple answer to why they cost so much is because people are willing to pay those prices.

Photos are actually developed in chemicals and not 'printed' on a three color printer. That process would be far too slow, a lot more expensive, and deliver a lower quality photo that can fade quickly. They do recycle the paper and silver oxides from the prints that are not purchased by cruisers.

I consider $19.95 to be very expensive compared to the prices we paid years' ago when they had cheaper 5x7's. We normally get our 2 free photos and call it a day.

These posts always make me laugh. Yes, $19.95 is more expensive than if you would print a photo you took, however, it is much more reasonable than having a picture taken just about anywhere else.

A few years ago while a ski resort, the photographer got a great picture of my son. Yes, it was digital that I had to ok them to print, BUT to have it printed was $49.95 for an 8 x 10. Add a frame, etc and you were talking $100. Of course had to get it. I would much rather pay the $19.95 on the ship than what I paid for that picture.

Also, try going to a studio and get a picture taken, your sitting fee, before you even buy 1 picture is more that $19.95 in most cases. Add in the C&A coupons and I think the pictures on board are a great deal.

If you travel on the Independence the same said 8x10 photo's cost $24.95 each! :eek: Rather than the $19.95 on other ships!

However on the upside they did a deal at 10 photo's for $150 but we got it for $99 due to C&A offer so that was the best bargain we've ever had.

They watch pretty carefully.. its all digital now. We buy 1 picture, and have someone take a picture with our camera.

I have seen people taking photos of their photos. I am not a camera buff so could they get good pictures doing this ?

Archived