Veendam aft pool area

amoba

Can anyone tell me what the pool area on the Veendam (in the rear of the ship) is like at this time? I've seen photos of 4 hot tub-like pools and read accounts of this but I've also seen current deck plans showing no pools or hot tubs, one pool, and 4 pools. I've called HAL to find out if there is a pool or hot tub and one HAL employee told me that there is a small fresh water swimming pool. Another HAL employee told me that there is definitely no swimming pool, only a few inches of water that deck chairs sit in, like on the Rotterdam. Some Veendam deck plans show a small pool and other websites show the deck plan to be identical to Rotterdam and Statendam, with no swimming pool. If someone has sailed on it recently, could you tell me what the aft is like on the Veendam and whether or not it's possible to swim. and if so, fresh water or salt water? I don't care for the pool area in the middle as they tend to close the overhead covering if there's a cloud in the sky, making it very steamy and smelling of chorene. thanks very much for any recent info! Vicki

It has a built up area with 4 spas on it: 2 are round and hotish; the other 2 are rectangular and warm. They do block the view should someone want to sit there and look back or across. Abaft of the spas, the deck is open and you can see out the railings. But that is the back third or quarter of the aft deck only.

The "poolette" with chairs and a few inches of water is gone.

There were a number of threads and pictures posted of it in February and march, and another about 2 weeks ago in tgis forum.

We were on the Veendam last May roundtrip Bermuda. If you want to do laps, this area is out. But it's very nice to sit out at and also enjoy the hot tubs. I would cruise the Veendam again in a heartbeat.

Gotta love how Seattle can't answer a simple question correctly.

The description that Veendam's aft Lido deck is the same as Rotterdam's was true for Retreat 1.0, but that failure was replaced with a different Retreat---the aforementioned hot tubs on a raised area.

Gotta love how Seattle can't answer a simple question correctly.

The description that Veendam's aft Lido deck is the same as Rotterdam's was true for Retreat 1.0, but that failure was replaced with a different Retreat---the aforementioned hot tubs on a raised area.

So Ruth, does Rotterndam still have the "poolette" with a few inches of water around chairs?

thanks for all the info and link to photos. yes, funny how both HAL staff I spoke to were incorrect, yet so certain, as to the aft pool situation. the 4 pools sound like an improvement to the Rotterdam style few inches of water. let me know if it changes again this summer as I'm scheduled for a cruise on the Veendam this fall. thanks again, Vicki

Veendam's hot tubs seemingly are the last HAL will fiddle with that aft area.

IF they sell the ship, it will be up to a new owner what will be with that messed up area.

So Ruth, does Rotterndam still have the "poolette" with a few inches of water around chairs?

Yes. Rotterdam had Retreat 1.0, like the Veendam's first version. That one hasn't been changed.

Why throw good money after bad, perhaps?

• 2 years later...

We are first time HALers, and just off the Veendam to Bermuda.

Not sure what all the flapping around about the Retreat (Lido deck aft) is all about.

I am a lap swimmer, and enjoyed the Lido deck main pool at 7 AM (when it opened) with 1 or 2 others for a good 30 minute workout. (1 lap = about 25 yards if you don't attempt an aggressive push off).

We also spent a lot of time at the Retreat: Sail-aways (entertained by John ...a very entertaining vocalist/guitarist).... breakfasts out in the open air....sunning on the deck....afternoon cocktails....chilling in the hot tubs.

Again, I have no idea what it once was, but for an experienced cruiser (most recently Celebrity Xpedition, Seabourne Legend, RCL)...I thought t was quite nice.

Peter

Not sure what all the flapping around about the Retreat (Lido deck aft) is all about.

I am a lap swimmer, and enjoyed the Lido deck main pool at 7 AM (when it opened) with 1 or 2 others for a good 30 minute workout. (1 lap = about 25 yards if you don't attempt an aggressive push off).

We also spent a lot of time at the Retreat: Sail-aways (entertained by John ...a very entertaining vocalist/guitarist).... breakfasts out in the open air....sunning on the deck....afternoon cocktails....chilling in the hot tubs.

Again, I have no idea what it once was, but for an experienced cruiser (most recently Celebrity Xpedition, Seabourne Legend, RCL)...I thought t was quite nice.

Peter

The issue is, with the now raised hot tub area (instead of the deck level pool) when sitting in the chairs along the sides, there's not much of a view across the ship toward the other side from where you're sitting.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1znpzj5.jpg[/img]"]1znpzj5.jpg

Peter

I, too, sailed on Veendam recently and had the same thoughts as you. The aft hot tubs were a wonderful place to relax and I saw no need for an extra pool [especially a small one as most ship pools are anyway]. I spent a lot of time in the Retreat also; likely more than I would have if the pool was still there.

I know many complain about the view being blocked but it didn't bother me in the least. As half of the Retreat is a smoking area, perhaps HAL was smart in blocking it off down the middle; less people to complain about drifting smoke this way? Just a theory haha.

My main objection to the remade Veendam aft area is the blocking of views. The other HAL ships have such beautiful sight lines in that area but those horrid tubs make it impossible to see much when seated. Our cruise, I never saw anyone get in them.

I agree with the last 2 posters. The Veendam was destroyed by bean counters. The aft area is terrible. I was on the ship in 2009 and again last November. The giant TV screen didn't work either time. The ship is overcrowded and undermaintained. I won't ever consider cruising her again.

It's tragic that HAL is sending the Ryndam and Statendam on one-way trips to Singapore while the Veendam remains in the fleet.