How Safe Are the Safes on Celebrity?

MDTrip

How do the safes in the staterooms on Celebrity ships operate? Is it with a six digit code that you create and program, like the safes in most hotels?

Or is it with your own credit card that you swipe to open the safe? (Three of us are sharing a cabin, and only one of us would have the credit card... therefore that is not very convenient.)

And who has the ability to open it? I am wondering how many people on board have the "master key" and could open it (in the case of a forgotten code, for instance) and therefore how secure it really is. Would I want to put anything more valuable than an iPhone in it? e.g. wallet? jewelry?

I'll be sailing on the Summit.

Thanks.

We had a battery go on one of our safes. They had to send one of the officers up with a special tool to open it and change the batteries.

As I recall, the S-Class has a 4-digit pin, and the M-Class has a 6-digit pin.

We are very comfortable storing jewelry, wallets, credit cards, passports, and the like in there.

When our safe would not lock because of a dead battery we had a ship's officer and maintenance person come to the cabin together. One of us also had to be there when they came. Since we were unpacking it was no big deal to wait for them.

Mary Lou

They are safe. If you are comfortable with the hotel safe, this is the same. We put everything valuable in there including passports, wallet, money. It's large enough that we can leave the laptop and iPad inside.

Choose your PIN wisely.

On Solstice it is in the closet whuch is somewhat inconvenient location. On newer S-class I heard they have changed the location, near the fridge.

It is large enough for my tablet, and operated by setting our own four digits PIN.

That is exactly correct...make sure that after you do the 4-digit pin to lock it, you check to make sure that it is locked! Just pull on it before you leave...once, we didn't check and it opened without the combo; however, everything was there!

On Solstice it is in the closet whuch is somewhat inconvenient location. On newer S-class I heard they have changed the location, near the fridge.

It is above the mini fridge on the other ships. I have to say having sailing on Solstice and Equinox I think I liked it better in the closet. I know though a lot of people did not, however we missed the storage over the mini fridge.

It is large enough for my tablet, and operated by setting our own four digits PIN.

It's in a space over the fridge on the Eclipse, and the heat generated by the fridge motor heated up the interior of the safe to such an extent that I was very concerned about putting sensitive electronics and such in there, and wound up not doing so. Imho, it's a terrible location because of that. (The top drawer of the dresser next to the fridge, and half the second drawer, suffered from the same heat issue. But there you just have toasty socks, not fried camera memory cards or the like.)

We have always used the safes on our cruises and have always felt very comfortable.

I know there can be unscrupulous people anywhere but there is actually a story on the boards here where a newlywed couple had just returned from a cruise and the husband had taken his new wedding ring off and had put it in the safe. He accidentally left it in the safe when the cruise was over. Needless to say, this newly married couple was upset. They contacted Celebrity and didn't get any satisfaction. It was going to be too big a production for someone from the cruise ship to take a look in the safe for the ring. The new bride reached out to fellow Cruise Critic members and actually found someone that was on the ship. That person went to the room and the occupants looked in the safe and lo and behold, there was the ring. The passenger took it with them and upon return home, she mailed the ring back to the groom. The newlywed couple let everyone know when the ring was back on his finger.

Morale of the story: Most people are wonderful and trust the safe!

It is above the mini fridge on the other ships. I have to say having sailing on Solstice and Equinox I think I liked it better in the closet. I know though a lot of people did not, however we missed the storage over the mini fridge.

We prefer the closet location as well.

We have always used the safes on our cruises and have always felt very comfortable.

I know there can be unscrupulous people anywhere but there is actually a story on the boards here where a newlywed couple had just returned from a cruise and the husband had taken his new wedding ring off and had put it in the safe. He accidentally left it in the safe when the cruise was over. Needless to say, this newly married couple was upset. They contacted Celebrity and didn't get any satisfaction. It was going to be too big a production for someone from the cruise ship to take a look in the safe for the ring. The new bride reached out to fellow Cruise Critic members and actually found someone that was on the ship. That person went to the room and the occupants looked in the safe and lo and behold, there was the ring. The passenger took it with them and upon return home, she mailed the ring back to the groom. The newlywed couple let everyone know when the ring was back on his finger.

Morale of the story: Most people are wonderful and trust the safe!

Now I know why Celebrity has never found anything I left in my cabin -- they can't be bothered to look!

Archived