Call or wait to upgrade?

We booked an inside cabin for an upcoming trip to Alaska. Seeing as how prices have significantly dropped, wondering if we should call and upgrade to a balcony?

Not sure they will call us since we selected no to the option of the automatic upgrade.

If we call, should I call now or wait another week?

We leave in 2.5 weeks... 17 more days to board!

If you are willing to pay the cost of a balcony and really want one, I would call now. If you said no upgrade, they probably are not going to call you. If you wait, you may end up in the cabin you booked. There is really no easy answer here. You need to decide what is valuable for you.

We booked an inside cabin for an upcoming trip to Alaska. Seeing as how prices have significantly dropped, wondering if we should call and upgrade to a balcony?

Not sure they will call us since we selected no to the option of the automatic upgrade.

If we call, should I call now or wait another week?

We leave in 2.5 weeks... 17 more days to board!

If you booked directly thru Holland America, then I would call now if your looking to get an upgrade/up sell. If you booked thru a TA, you would have to go thru them.

They would not be calling you since you selected the 'no' option to automatic upgrade.

If you booked directly thru Holland America, then I would call now if your looking to get an upgrade/up sell. If you booked thru a TA, you would have to go thru them.

They would not be calling you since you selected the 'no' option to automatic upgrade.

HAL never calls you to upgrade whether you have said yes or no, upsell yes.

I will cost you a lot to upgrade , next time select the that you want upgrade. I have seen some big reductions at the end, also have seen prices rise.

I'm curious how you would know that. I've seen some smokin' good prices for balconies lately. It would be extremely unlikely to get upgraded for free from and inside to a balcony so checking that off would not likely result in it happening.

I'm curious how you would know that. I've seen some smokin' good prices for balconies lately. It would be extremely unlikely to get upgraded for free from and inside to a balcony so checking that off would not likely result in it happening.

Just a educated quess since cruiser has a inside room already that they cannot cancel with only a few weeks to go. People that live near ports can get great deals in they can wait till the end.

I did try to do this once had a SS suite and the SC was only a few hundred more but when I called they wanted me to pay about double that since I could not cancel.

It would be great if the OP gave more details. Was it a free upgrade to a balcony or an upsell where he or she paid additional to go from an inside to a balcony?

Last year we were able to book a Princess cruise tour to Alaska at a great price at the last minute. They currently have cabins priced $1,000 more than we paid last year--but $1,000 cheaper than they were earlier this spring. The final payment date was just a week ago.

I did try to do this once had a SS suite and the SC was only a few hundred more but when I called they wanted me to pay about double that since I could not cancel.

I think they are better at taking money from people now. I've got some war stories too.

We paid full price for the inside. The balconies are now approx the same price or cheaper.

When I called, I explained my situation. After a few minutes on hold she came back and said they would upgrade to a veranda balcony for no cost. We don't have a cabin assigned yet though but have a VE guarantee.

That's good enough for me!

It definitely didn't hurt to call! Husband and I are very happy!

We paid full price for the inside. The balconies are now approx the same price or cheaper.

When I called, I explained my situation. After a few minutes on hold she came back and said they would upgrade to a veranda balcony for no cost. We don't have a cabin assigned yet though but have a VE guarantee.

That's good enough for me!

It definitely didn't hurt to call! Husband and I are very happy!

Great!!

Let us know what your final cabin is.

Congrats NewCruiser. It never hurts to ask. We had a VC guarantee for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Took an upsell to an SS for only $19 pp. Yesterday HAL upgraded us to an SA Neptune suite at no extra charge. Can't imagine we'll ever do better than that!!

We had a VC guarantee for an upcoming Alaska cruise. Took an upsell to an SS for only $19 pp. Yesterday HAL upgraded us to an SA Neptune suite at no extra charge. Can't imagine we'll ever do better than that!!
WOW! zookiebird is gonna be spoiled.;):D

You will love that big balcony in Alaska. Enjoy!!

Archived