Mail from Oceania

timbo89

I have taken a few cruises on Oceania in the past (while their prices were competitive).

It seems like almost every day I receive a brochure of some sort from Oceania. Some of them are very elaborate. Other lines will mail me occasionally when something interesting comes up, and I get a lot of emails instead of paper advertising from other lines. It seems other lines have caught up with the concept of modern marketing.

While I appreciate the company reaching out to me regularly, it would appear that a disproportionate share of their budget (and ultimately cruise prices) are spent on very expensive mail advertising.

Additionally, it is certainly not "green" to keep sending me all that paper.

Am I singled out in receiving constant brochures from Oceania?

I think that their advertising budget could be much better spent (perhaps in the form of reduced prices for instance)

No you are not alone.

There must be a way to tell them that you no longer want the paper mail.

As for what is being spent on marketing, there's an old saying that your response is about 5%..The question is "which 5%". O seems to know what's

good for them.;)

Successful companies challenge their marketing staff to justify the expense to revenue results of their marketing campaigns. "Placement" is a key ingredient ... that is which media produces the best results.

Sometimes the purpose of a particular campaign is to build brand awareness not just immediate revenues.

I believe that e-mail marketing has some strong negatives attached but time will tell as that form matures.

I have taken a few cruises on Oceania in the past (while their prices were competitive).

It seems like almost every day I receive a brochure of some sort from Oceania. Some of them are very elaborate. Other lines will mail me occasionally when something interesting comes up, and I get a lot of emails instead of paper advertising from other lines. It seems other lines have caught up with the concept of modern marketing.

While I appreciate the company reaching out to me regularly, it would appear that a disproportionate share of their budget (and ultimately cruise prices) are spent on very expensive mail advertising.

Additionally, it is certainly not "green" to keep sending me all that paper.

Am I singled out in receiving constant brochures from Oceania?

I think that their advertising budget could be much better spent (perhaps in the form of reduced prices for instance)

I jokingly tell my wife that I am suffering from O withdrawal when we don't receive a brochure from O. We get them directly from O and the TA we used in 2010 AND now from the TA we are currently using.

You are absolutely correct when the word overload is used!!

I agree that compared to other cruise lines, Oceania sends out more brochures and the most elaborate ones. What I don't understand is why they send out a smaller brochure advertising a cruise "on sale" when it is already the one that I have tried to book at least one year in advance and have not been able to secure a cabin, I'm on a waitlist. That would suggest that the cruise is already selling well, so why put it on sale? And if there is availability, why haven't we been allocated a cabin? On top of that this week my TA called to say that Oceania was offering us an alternative cruise to the one we are waitlisted on. This suggests that the cruise we want is oversold. We are staying on the waitlist to see what happens at final payment!

I jokingly tell my wife that I am suffering from O withdrawal when we don't receive a brochure from O. We get them directly from O and the TA we used in 2010 AND now from the TA we are currently using.

You are absolutely correct when the word overload is used!!

I did not get a Oceania flyer for a whole 5 days.... I became worried that some disaster had befallen them....:eek:

They would not be doing it is it did not have some tangible result...that's the bottom line. In general interest I also get huge quantities of Holland America, Celeb, and lately Crystal and Regent stuff....

I What I don't understand is why they send out a smaller brochure advertising a cruise "on sale" when it is already the one that I have tried to book at least one year in advance and have not been able to secure a cabin, I'm on a waitlist.

Is the whole ship waitlisted or sold out for your cruise?

If so then it is strange for them to advertise it still

I haven't received an Oceania brochure in the mail (snail post) for ages. I usually get emails, but getting a hard copy of anything from Oceania is nearly impossible. I picked up my last your world while I was on my cruise as I did not receive one at home.:confused:

You try getting a brochure this side of the pond, impossible I have lost count the number of times I have requested one from their web site. In the end I used their web site as the brochure and booked.

Wales and British Columbia must be in the same category. Don't send.:D

Wales and British Columbia must be in the same category. Don't send.:D

Add Australia. My mother has done 1 Oceania cruise in 2009 and gets 4-5 mail outs each year. I have done 10 with 11 & 12 booked and get zero.Requesting them on the website has not achieved anything - still nothing in the mail.:confused:

Add Australia. My mother has done 1 Oceania cruise in 2009 and gets 4-5 mail outs each year. I have done 10 with 11 & 12 booked and get zero.Requesting them on the website has not achieved anything - still nothing in the mail.:confused:

The answer here is clear.

They've already got you hooked - now they want your mother back for her second cruise :D

I agree. I get so may print brochures that I no longer even open most of them. In addition I get one or two emails from them EVERY day.

Wow, are you lucky. I barely get any emails and rarely get snail mail from them. Now, the other cruise lines that I have not cruised with for many years, I definitely get lots of snail mail from.

I agree with the east side of the pond I have tried very hard to get a brochure both through ta and direct but to no avail. It did not stop me booking due to positive comments from family who have cruised oceania but I am not sure i would have booked with them otherwise when they can't be bothered to send a brochure .

I have tried very hard to get a brochure both through ta and direct but to no avail. It did not stop me booking

Yes, and if that is true, is there any incentive for improvement?

North Americans have a reputation for being rather thick skinned, but we are certainly more discerning when it comes to "voting with our wallets" if we perceive that Customer Service is lacking.

Let them chase you for a change, you'll enjoy the feeling ;)

Since the brochures probably come out of Florida I expect the cost of postage has something to do with why they don't make it across the world.

Actually they are posted from Sydney but seeing I no longer deal with the Australian agent I dont care. I make do with using the internet, info from friends in the US/Canada & a wonderful, efficient, informative new TA;)

Just thought I would throw it in that in Australia we are not swamped with brochures like most of the US cruisers. Like everything in life some get too much of everything and others get none at all.

Archived