A la Carte Dining

sail7seas

Wait for it, pretty soon we will be wearing those little colored hospital bands like they do at all inclusive resorts.

Honestly though, if they were to go this way, I think we would just go to the all inclusive resorts and stop with cruise ships. We are paying for them trying to keep fares down and the cut throat competition (the number of cabins assigned to a single stewart comes to mind).

In addition to "Easy Cruises" some other line tried that back in the 70's. They bought the American Export Liner "Constitution" or "Independence", painted a big sunburst on the side of the ship. Rates were really low, but all dining was "pay for". I think they lasted 6 months and went belly up. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea didn't start with all day time meals being buffet and casual and included in the cruise fare, but all dinners are surcharge restaurants only. Please don't flame me, but......on the last NCL cruise we were on, (and I do mean LAST) considering the quality and selection of food and service at dinner in the "included' MDR...they're already there!

The specialty restaurants are not a la carte. Even though there is a charge it includes all the appetizers you want and all the desserts you want plus your entree. There is not a separate charge for each.

I was thinking more of Johnny Rockets & Guy's burgers types of venues

Do they charge extra for those or are they included in the cruise fare

Not the the specialty dining rooms

Wait for it, pretty soon we will be wearing those little colored hospital bands like they do at all inclusive resorts.

Honestly though, if they were to go this way, I think we would just go to the all inclusive resorts and stop with cruise ships. We are paying for them trying to keep fares down and the cut throat competition (the number of cabins assigned to a single stewart comes to mind).

The day I have to put a plastic band on my wrist to cruise is the last day I cruise.

I don't even like it when they insist that plastic has to go on the wrist to ride the ferry in St. Maarten. I tried to put it on my purse handle and they went nuts. Had DH and I been alone, I would have chosen to walk but we were with other people.

I was thinking more of Johnny Rockets & Guy's burgers types of venues

Do they charge extra for those or are they included in the cruise fare

Not the the specialty dining rooms

On Carnival Guy's Burgers are included in the cruise fare, no extra charge.

There are other areas that there is a minimal charge for some food.

On Carnival Guy's Burgers are included in the cruise fare, no extra charge.

There are other areas that there is a minimal charge for some food.

Thanks

On our 1 Princess cruise they did charge extra for Ice Cream & milkshakes etc..from the pool deck ice cream place

The new eating venues onboard the ships are new to us ...we just pay upfront in the cruise fare so not worries onboard ;)

I think they'd also have to change their infrastructure to implement a real "a la carte" (even if sides and potatoes come with the entree). If each appetizer, entree, dessert were separately priced, every cruise card would need to be entered into the system so the correct person is charged for the correct item. Then every person would have to sign the chit. They'd have to add printers in the dining rooms, swiping stations, etc. Not to mention the time that all of this would take. I thik that what people are paying in fare covers the food; the infrastructure and time would increase costs, not reduce them.

I think the cruise lines are already moving to "al a Carte" dining. The beginning is the speciality resturaunts. ALso the flexable dining. I think the time will come when maybe the lower level of the dining room will be a "covered in the cruise price dining," but if you want to go "al a carte" it will be the upstairs. and slowly the "covered in the cruise price" dining will be in the buffet resturaunt and all other venues will be "pay as you go".

Question: Why should the cruise lines have ships with these big beautiful formal dining rooms when most people do not even like to dress? We hear it here on CC how people don't want big fancy dining experiences that they are required to dress for. They just want to go the an area like the food court at the local mall. Pick out what they want to eat and go back to what ever they decide to do that night. They don't want to take the time to shower, dress and show up for a big fancy dinner. The dining rooms as they are set up on today's ship take up a tremendous amount of space and could easily be converted into several smaller dining resturaunts and people could book and eat in different ones each night of their cruise. (each with a charge of course)? Then the buffet could be used for the pre-paid food and the space where you now have the speciality resturaunts could be used for some other income producing enterprise.

This is an interesting topic to discuss. I hope the cruise lines do not impliment any of this in the next several years (20 at least) as I know it will be the end of our cruising days!

A la carte is probably the best term for such a pay-as-you-eat plan. The introduction of premium restaurants on ships is the first step in this direction. I doubt mass market lines would want to impose it across the board, but would not be surprised to see the MDR's switched to such a plan -- with just a cafeteria option being included in the basic fare.

Has anyone heard any talk of a la carte dining to any of the mass market cruise lines?

I keep expecting they will soon convert us from MDR and Lido included in the fare to we pay for everything we eat same as any restaurant.

I'm not sure how they will juggle the fares to make us think it isn't costing us 'much' more but I fully expect soon it will be pay for whatever you order.

Anyone heard anything like that?

I agree with you that it is coming and probably sooner rather than later.

I call it pushing the envelope:p As cruise lines continue to look for ways to increase profits, I have no doubt someone will try it.

Being retired, at that point we would have to re-evaluate just how much we were going to put into a cruise. Not saying we would continue to cruise, but may cut back on the number of cruises.

The day I have to put a plastic band on my wrist to cruise is the last day I cruise.

I don't even like it when they insist that plastic has to go on the wrist to ride the ferry in St. Maarten. I tried to put it on my purse handle and they went nuts. Had DH and I been alone, I would have chosen to walk but we were with other people.

I share your views, however I would expect that my last day cruising would be on the last day of my last cruise BEFORE wrist bands became necessary.

AHOY SHIPMATES

TERRIBLE THOUGHT but great thread and all sensible posts so far.

If implimented it would have to be gradually.

If people must pay for each item the % of dishes sent back would be extremely high. When paying for each item they will demand that it be hot, seasoned, cooked properly etc. That would slow everything down and paperwork on shipboard accounts would be a nightmare.

Menu planning for that many variables also would be almost impossible with a change of passengers every cruise.

I have noticed that lobster in the extra $$ dining

is real . What they call lobster in MDR is florida or foreign crayfish tails most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

RCI Adventure of the Seas main dining room charges $17 if you want an edible steak. The "strip" steak on the daily menu is a very low quality cut and should be avoided.

AHOY SHIPMATES

TERRIBLE THOUGHT but great thread and all sensible posts so far.

If implimented it would have to be gradually.

If people must pay for each item the % of dishes sent back would be extremely high. When paying for each item they will demand that it be hot, seasoned, cooked properly etc. That would slow everything down and paperwork on shipboard accounts would be a nightmare.

Menu planning for that many variables also would be almost impossible with a change of passengers every cruise.

I have noticed that lobster in the extra $$ dining

is real . What they call lobster in MDR is florida or foreign crayfish tails most of the time.

Why would the 'send back' rate in a ship dining room be different than any restaurant? Just consider the MDR converted to a pay for what you order restaurant. Consider it like a hotel restaurant. Shouldn't the 'send back' rate be about the same?

AHOY SHIPMATES

When I was thinking about ala carte , I was mentally nit- picking

and wondering how I would react to raw veggies servrd to me that I just paid $2 extra for and they were raw or over cooked or cold.... or the mashed potatoes were lumpy and mixed with powdered potatoes

etc....or the apple pie or cheese cake was still frozen in the center

I would definitely send it back. When they are trying to serve 200-300 people at the same time there would really be a bottleneck and delay. Under the present sytem, service is already slow.

True, I would do the same in a restaurant but they are not feeding as many people at exactly the same time.

Now we order a meal from the menu and tend to overlook a lot of little things that we would complain about because of the isolated cost of that item.

Waiters taking individual orders for each item on a cruise ship would be a major fiasco in itself.

My experience in the food business( O clubs and Messhalls) for 20 years was enjoyable most of the time but I wouldn't want to be involved with ala carte dining on a cruise ship. Maybe I'm just too old. Good discussion.

We are watching Celebrity (one of our favorite lines) very closely as their new CEO is trying new options. It seems that this line is trying to be more innovative with options and one wonders where this will go. For example, Celebrity recently had several huge promotions (called 1-2-3) where they packaged drink packages, pre paid gratuities and some other amenities into pricing. Essentially it was possible to turn Celebrity into an all-inclusive cruise line (similar to the high-end lines). Besides their Aqua Class (you pay more for a few amenities and meals in their special Blu restaurant) they have now started selling their "Ultimate Dining Package" for $29 per passenger day. This package gives the user unlimited access to all the alternative dining venues on the ship (some of which normally cost $40 per person).

The dirty secret (not really a secret) is that the mass market lines are in a very competitive market when it comes to basic pricing. But these days, the lines need to generate most of their profit from on-board revenue. So all the lines are seeking ways to maximize onboard revenue. We have seen all the lines implement various cut-backs in cuisine and staffing....but this has now reached a point of resistance by many passengers. So instead of more cut-backs we are now in the age of new options and packaging.

Hank

I think they'd also have to change their infrastructure to implement a real "a la carte" (even if sides and potatoes come with the entree). If each appetizer, entree, dessert were separately priced, every cruise card would need to be entered into the system so the correct person is charged for the correct item. Then every person would have to sign the chit. They'd have to add printers in the dining rooms, swiping stations, etc. Not to mention the time that all of this would take. I thik that what people are paying in fare covers the food; the infrastructure and time would increase costs, not reduce them.

This is what I was thinking as well. How would it be possible to serve individual options the way the kitchen is designed now? All dinners/appetizers/desserts, etc...are now pre-plated and held until service, to change over would not only require a different kitchen set up, but more servers to accommodate this type of service.

It sounds like the death of cruising as we know it. The only bright spot might be the end of the Baked Alaska Parade.

john

Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm always a bit embarrassed for the staff that they have to perform like that.

I can't see this happening in the MDR, because it would cause havoc in the kitchen. Right now, the menu selections have set veggies, etc. Those are pre-plated in the galley and the meat added when ordered. this saves a lot of time. If every plate was different, it would take a lot more time.

Cunard has an a la carte restaurant on QE and QV, called The Verandah. We were treated to a meal there last month. Very French, not at all to our taste, but others were paying...EM

We are watching Celebrity (one of our favorite lines) very closely as their new CEO is trying new options. It seems that this line is trying to be more innovative with options and one wonders where this will go. For example, Celebrity recently had several huge promotions (called 1-2-3) where they packaged drink packages, pre paid gratuities and some other amenities into pricing. Essentially it was possible to turn Celebrity into an all-inclusive cruise line (similar to the high-end lines). Besides their Aqua Class (you pay more for a few amenities and meals in their special Blu restaurant) they have now started selling their "Ultimate Dining Package" for $29 per passenger day. This package gives the user unlimited access to all the alternative dining venues on the ship (some of which normally cost $40 per person).

The dirty secret (not really a secret) is that the mass market lines are in a very competitive market when it comes to basic pricing. But these days, the lines need to generate most of their profit from on-board revenue. So all the lines are seeking ways to maximize onboard revenue. We have seen all the lines implement various cut-backs in cuisine and staffing....but this has now reached a point of resistance by many passengers. So instead of more cut-backs we are now in the age of new options and packaging.

Hank

Great post Hank.........I agree with what you are saying.......cut backs are less and new options abound now with most cruise lines......in my line of work before retiring we called that position marketing LOL:)

This is what I was thinking as well. How would it be possible to serve individual options the way the kitchen is designed now? All dinners/appetizers/desserts, etc...are now pre-plated and held until service, to change over would not only require a different kitchen set up, but more servers to accommodate this type of service.

Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm always a bit embarrassed for the staff that they have to perform like that.

Cruise lines seem to be very creative at finding ways to 'make it work' if it involves generating more revenue. I don't know how to run a restaurant kitchen, let alone a cruise ship main galley, but I wouldn't be shocked there is more than one cruise line trying, while we speak, to find a way to convert to having us pay for every burger, chicken breast and steak we may order in MDR. Time will tell.

I can't see this happening in the MDR, because it would cause havoc in the kitchen. Right now, the menu selections have set veggies, etc. Those are pre-plated in the galley and the meat added when ordered. this saves a lot of time. If every plate was different, it would take a lot more time.

Cunard has an a la carte restaurant on QE and QV, called The Verandah. We were treated to a meal there last month. Very French, not at all to our taste, but others were paying...EM

We often have the broccoli that was offered with the steak served to us with my grilled salmon. They never object to changing off the sides we order. DH might want a different starch than what is offered to be served with whatever protein dish he has ordered. Maybe he wants the mashed potatos vs the rice.

IF this method is introduced I foresee huge problems.

1. Serving would take far longer in the MDRs, more waiters? I don't think so.

2. How would the buffets be run?

3. Can anyone imagine the line ups on the last day as the front desk tries to sort out the billing errors?

john

Archived