Switch from Silverseas to Oceania - Make Sense?

Robroy

My wife and I have been fortunate to do one trip on Regent and most recently two on Silverseas.

We loved Regent but their move to all-inclusive tours and the subsequent price increase didn't make sense to us. Tried Silverseas (Spirit) in 2010 and this past April and loved the service/ship etc but couldn't adjust to the food. Our own fault I guess - we had thoroughly enjoyed the Regent menus and had hoped Silverseas would be better the second time but unfortunately just not to our liking. Presentation etc was lovely but the menu choices seemed too fancy for my wife and I - particularly as she doesn't care for seafood. Not knocking Silverseas at all - the menu just doesn't work for us - perhaps too "Mediterranean" for our tastes.

I've been lurking on this board lately and see a number of Cruise Critics who I've seen on Regent and Silverseas boards who obviously enjoy all of these products. In checking the menus, it appears there is more traditional fare (albeit very nicely done) on O and if this is the case, it seems this line would be a great fit for us. Service/ships/ambience all seem to be exactly what we're looking for - particularly with the smaller ships in the line.

Can anyone confirm our thoughts?

Thanks!

Rob

If you're looking for great food Oceania should definitely be on your list, especially the Marina and Riviera where their four specialty restaurants shine.

As a word of caution since you commented on the high prices of Regent due to included shore excursions I would suggest you arrange private tours on Oceania as their excursions are expensive imo.

We used to sail Silverseas before discovering Oceania. We wouldn't go back. We enjoyed our cruises but found SS very stuffy and formal. I love the food on Oceania - loads of options. I am a vegetarian allergic to shellfish but never went hungry. They spoilt me for choice.

So give Oceania a go.

I cannot speak to either of your previous lines, not having sailed on them.

But I'm not sure the answers so far address your real question. It appears that you didn't care for the "fancified" foods you found on Silversea.

As others have said, the food on Oceania is top notch, but you seem to prefer "simpler" dishes. And you CAN find these on Oceania.

If you are in the Grand Dining Room ("GDR") there are always Jacques Pepin's roast chicken, and similar dishes, on the left hand side of the menu in case you don't care for the half dozen or so main courses on the right hand side of the menu. And those half dozen courses are quite varied, including a vegetarian dish or so.

Even in the specialty restaurants you can find dishes that are not drowning in cream sauce!

If you are going to be on Marina or Riviera, the Terrace Cafe is replete with dishes that should suit just about anybody. (Even on the "R" ships Terrace is a good option, it's just a much smaller space so it doesn't have as many options.)

Of course, I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional" fare but even in the GDR you can get a lovely steak and potatoes! That's one of those "left hand side of the menu" options.

There are plenty of options on Oceania in terms of food ... you won't starve, but then it's hard to do that on any cruise ship.

Lyn's suggestion could be the best -- try a 7 day cruise to see how you like Oceania before booking a transatlantic!

And perhaps you would want to start out on one of the larger ships (Marina or Riviera) because of the two extra specialty restaurant options.

Personally, I don't think you'd be unhappy with the available options on one of the "R" ships, but the "O" ships DO give you more choices.

Mura

I guess i don't understand someone who hasn't sailed Silver-seas or Regent to answer your question but I have sailed on both and found Oceania to far surpass either Line. I Love to be pampered but prefer Oceania. Down to earth but Elegant.

I guess i don't understand someone who hasn't sailed Silver-seas or Regent to answer your question but I have sailed on both and found Oceania to far surpass either Line. I Love to be pampered but prefer Oceania. Down to earth but Elegant.

My husband and I have sailed on Regent and Silversea. We prefer the "O" ships to Silversea in regards to service, food, suites and Butlers etc. We like the "O" ships better than the "R" ships on Oceania.

We were on the Marina last year and then sailed on the Silver Shadow two months later....Silversea does not even come close to Oceania if you are booking a Penthouse Suite or one of the above suites on the "O" ships. The service has declined in my opinion on Silversea whereas the service on the "O" ships are outstanding.

The food on Silversea might be presented nicely but the quality wasn't there compared to Oceania. Oceania has the best food at sea in my opinion and we have been on Seabourn, Regent, Silversea etc.

Plus we did not feel that the "O" ship felt that much bigger than the smaller Silversea ships. We have been on three Silversea cruises.

The food on Silversea might be presented nicely but the quality wasn't there compared to Oceania. Oceania has the best food at sea in my opinion and we have been on Seabourn, Regent, Silversea etc.

I couldn't agree more. I have said it here before and I'll say it again - Oceania has the best food at sea. I think you'like the food on Oceania, especially on the O ships.

PS I have sailed on all the cruise lines but Crystal (and have no intentions to do so)

Since 2006, 5 on O, 6 on SS. Disclaimer: last O cruise was 2008, and statements are based on the R-class ships only. It is possible that some memories of O are less vivid than they might have been a few years ago.

I see your point that the SS menu might be unusual when compared to standard offerings more familiar to the palate of one used to typical US food. We remember O's food to be on the whole, excellent - and comparing one to the other, O tends to make more "familiar" dishes, albeit extremely well.

There has been a time or two when we looked at the MDR menu on SS and thought, "Nothing sounds very exciting tonight..." In those cases we simply made reservations elsewhere - like La Terrazza - and had a great meal. It's happened on O too - so we've done in-suite dining on occasion with dishes from one of the specialty restaurants. We have had no trouble finding food on either line - ranging from very good to excellent.

The ingredients and preparations in SS' MDR are a little more "different" from what you might see on O. Part of the fun of traveling, for us, is to try new and different things that we might not try at home. So the Mediterranean menu you describe on SS is fun for us to try - but, agree that some of the dishes are definitely different! But, if that isn't something you enjoy, then O will likely fit your taste better, IMO.

The specialty restaurants on both are excellent, we think. Love La Terrazza, Hot Rocks, and Le Champagne on SS; Polo Grill and Toscana on O are wonderful as well. We fondly remember great meals from all of these places, and curse them on a daily basis when our cruise clothes seem to have permanently shrunken.

Service - outstanding on both. Each line seems to have a high retention rate for service personnel, and every time we boarded a ship on either line, we found staff from prior voyages who recognized us. Either line makes it feel like you're coming home when you board their ships. Personally, don't think that either line is markedly superior to the other in this regard; both take care of you very well. Both cultivate that small-ship atmosphere that so many of us love.

We have traveled with SS more in the past few years because their fares are currently running cheaper, and they include more. When you figure in that SS fares include drinks and gratuities, O comes out more expensive for us, overall. Also, at the moment, SS itineraries fit more with where we want to visit. But we look at O's catalogs diligently, and we will certainly sail with them again.

So, if you like the service and the ambience of the SS vessels, but are looking for more familiar food offerings served at a very high quality, O may be a great fit for you. It's great to have so many wonderful choices - Enjoy!

We tried our first Oceania cruise last year (Marina) and loved the dining. We cruised Regent previously and were concerned if switching to Oceania may be somewhat disappointing (i.e., all inclusive to non AI) but nope, we absolutely loved the food on Oceania. I wouldn't say that all the dishes were out of this world amazing but most were very good to excellent (a few just ok) from our experience. Believe it or not, despite the large variety offered at breakfast, I couldn't get enough of the delicious french bread w/butter and jelly which shows that some times, the simplest things in life are in fact, the best. Hope this helps and that you will enjoy Oceania as much as we did.

We are trying Azamara next year so will be interesting to compare these 2 lines...already looking forward to the fruit smoothies (which Oceania unfortunately did not offer during breakfast)!!

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments. It sounds like Oceania will be our next booking. The all-inclusive nature of Silverseas and Regent and excellent service was wonderful but it sounds like Oceania will be a great fit for us with a menu we're more familiar with (based on comments + review of the website samples) without sacrificing service levels.

As usual, I appreciate the time taken by kind CC members to help us out! Will report back in due course (hopefully sooner than later) with our first-hand thoughts!

Rob

I couldn't agree more. I have said it here before and I'll say it again - Oceania has the best food at sea. I think you'like the food on Oceania, especially on the O ships.

PS I have sailed on all the cruise lines but Crystal (and have no intentions to do so)

After many years sailing Regent I too felt the tours and all the other recent adds took away flexibility that I enjoyed.

Oceania has such an array of food variety in like 5 different venues and of a quality equal to or better than Regent.

I have thus found no other line or ship in my research or experience to offer what Oceania does..at least for me...its where the lines on my graph cross.

I can not speak for Silver Seas but their limited range, formal tone has kept me away

My wife and I have done 136 days on Seabourn---maybe 60 on Silversea--and 50 on Oceania. We enjoy them all. The food is best on Seabourn---but Oceania is excellent especially because of their specialty restaurants. Oceania weakness IMHO is their shore excursions--we do private arrangements often when cruising with them.

I also do not like the fact that they don't include tipping and alcohol---although I do not drink--I feel like I am being charged too much.

However Oceania has a lot of great itineraries and is a very enjopyable cruise experience. Who else does so much of East Africa---or the 28 day Bangkok to Beijing? We also love the casual dinners.

All 3 lines are top notch---and should be an enjoyable cruise for anyone.

I would rank Oceania slightly below Seabourn and Silversea.

My wife and I have done 136 days on Seabourn---maybe 60 on Silversea--and 50 on Oceania. We enjoy them all. The food is best on Seabourn---but Oceania is excellent especially because of their specialty restaurants. Oceania weakness IMHO is their shore excursions--we do private arrangements often when cruising with them.

I also do not like the fact that they don't include tipping and alcohol---although I do not drink--I feel like I am being charged too much.

However Oceania has a lot of great itineraries and is a very enjopyable cruise experience. Who else does so much of East Africa---or the 28 day Bangkok to Beijing? We also love the casual dinners.

All 3 lines are top notch---and should be an enjoyable cruise for anyone.

I would rank Oceania slightly below Seabourn and Silversea.

Okay, I am puzzled!

I'm not contesting your opinions, they are yours. And I haven't sailed on those other lines so I surely have no axe to grind.

But if you don't drink how can Oceania be charging you too much if drinks aren't included? Am I misreading what you said? It would seem so!

If you DO drink and drinks aren't included, well I get that. But how are you overcharged for not using something they don't offer?

Please elucidate!

To make myself a bit clearer, we won't take the drink package because we couldn't drink enough to make it worth it (especially since DH tends to order orange juice, no ice, in a bar). I will buy a bottle of wine for dinner and nurse it through a couple of dinners, but I'd never drink enough for the package.

Yes, the shore excursions on O are very overpriced, which is why so many of us do our own private excursions. For much less cost.

If we were on Regent we would probably use the "free" excursions, but I've been reading complaints from people about those free excursions. (Haven't been there, done that, so I'm not lodging a complaint.)

But I would still prefer to organize my own tours ...

Mura

Okay, I am puzzled!

I'm not contesting your opinions, they are yours. And I haven't sailed on those other lines so I surely have no axe to grind.

But if you don't drink how can Oceania be charging you too much if drinks aren't included? Am I misreading what you said? It would seem so!

If you DO drink and drinks aren't included, well I get that. But how are you overcharged for not using something they don't offer?

I am as confused as you are Mura

I would find ones that include drinks in the price paying too much for me

but that is just my opinion

Maybe we are not normal LOL

Lyn

Your assuming I travel alone--I guess. I travel with my wife --who does drink alcohol---and on 2 occasions one of our adult sons and his wife traveled with us on Oceania --and we paid for their cruise--and drinks.

You seem easily confused!!! I hope this clarifies it for you.

Since I have to pay for alcohol and non--alcoholic drinks---like tonic water---I do not like their policy!!!

Your assuming I travel alone--I guess. I travel with my wife --who does drink alcohol---and on 2 occasions one of our adult sons and his wife traveled with us on Oceania --and we paid for their cruise--and drinks.

You seem easily confused!!! I hope this clarifies it for you.

Since I have to pay for alcohol and non--alcoholic drinks---like tonic water---I do not like their policy!!!

Yes I am easily confused also

Why do you have to pay for tonic water & non alcoholic drinks???

Do you not pay for drinks on the other cruise lines?

Our last Oceania Cruise was March, 2012 Rio to Barcelona. On this and previous cruise they charge foe soft drinks. So unless they have changed their policy since then, this is the case.

If you have not cruised in Silversea or Seabourn, then you may not be aware that all drinks alcohol or non- alcohol are included. The only charges you have getting off the ship are for shore excursions and laundry--and gift shop.spa or internet.

Our last Oceania Cruise was March, 2012 Rio to Barcelona. On this and previous cruise they charge foe soft drinks. So unless they have changed their policy since then, this is the case.

Maybe it was just your cruise they charged for soft drinks then because they have been included for a few years now

We cruised in 2011 & they were included then

If you have not cruised in Silversea or Seabourn, then you may not be aware that all drinks alcohol or non- alcohol are included.

You may not be aware but you did PAY for drinks, you just paid upfront ...nothing is free

It all comes out in the wash

Yes---but you missed my original point--which was that I don't like paying tips and drinks ---I would rather they were included!!!

This topic was supposed to be a comparison of Silversea to Oceania---their policies are not nearly the same.

You can like it or not---I do not!!

We have spent more than enough time on a silly discussion---so I give up for tonight.

To the original poster. I think everyone including myself who has cruised on both SS and O would agree that Oceania overall provides a better cruise experiance especially when it comes to food service. But I would also recommend you consider a cruise line that I thought was an Oceania wannabe until I recently took a european cruise on the Azamara Journey. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and variety of the dining rooms on board, the service provided throughout the ship, and the friendliness of the ship's officers.

Azamara cruises I feel now is on par with Oceania and has the advantage of having an all inclusive alcohol policy like SS and Regent, and is the only cruise line that spends over nights in ports on every cruise. I still enjoy Oceania but have become an Azamara convert, and have booked another europe cruise for next year on the Azamara Quest. I think this cruise line has worked its way into the ranks of the upper premium/luxury cruise lines like Oceania and in my opinoin has surpassed SS. Gives us all just another option for what we so enjoy. Have a great cruise.

Cruisepsycho:

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't considered Azamara although I've often seen comments that they are highly regarded as well.

Will check them out as well although our first inclination was to Oceania. Quite fortunate to have this type of choice to deal with!

Thanks!

Rob

Thanks everyone for your insight. I am considering checking out SS as I often cruise solo and their 125% single supplement makes the cost of SS significantly less for a solo cruiser.

FWIW, I am a non-drinker, have cruised O once and will again this September (with a friend), and am currently booked solo for Lisbon-RIO TATL next year. I do love the food on O, but also anticipate the cuisine will be interesting on SS.

I did get a kick out of the Dress Code For Men sticky in the SS forum. How come we don't have threads like that, where we can quibble over other people's attire. ;)

Thanks again.

Are you sure you were on Oceania? Oceania began unlimited complimentary soda and soft drinks with the European sailings in April, 2010.

Archived