Tell me about renting motor scooters in Bermuda!

LizzieTrowbridge

I have seen lots of people do it, but I never would attempt it.

The cost of transportation in Bermuda on busses and ferries is so reasonable that I wouldn't take the risk of renting a scooter.

The Bermudians drive on the left side of the road and the roads are very, very narrow and twisting. I watched a tourist on a scooter turn right at a stop sign, directly into oncoming traffic - just from years of habit I suspect.

I've been on four cruises to Bermuda, and every one had a passenger injured on a scooter - without fail.

I am planning to rent a motor scooter in Bermuda with my husband. I can't find any threads about this and am looking to hear from folks who have done it. Thanks!

We spent a week in Bermuda at a rental condo and had a scooter. It was great being able to go where ever we wanted, when we wanted.

However, I would only recommend one rent a scooter if they have extensive motorcycle experience. Even then, it can be dangerous -- you drive on the left and the roads are twisty and narrow. And Bermudians drive like it's the opening lap of the Indy 500! Also -- tourists can only rent scooters with the smallest engines -- two-up you'll be lucky to reach 30 MPH flat out.

If you've ever taken a cruise to Bermuda you know the staff strongly recommends against renting a scooter -- they have passengers injured in scooter accidents each time they dock.

So...if you have motorcycle experience, if you think you can safely drive on the left -- maybe. It can be dangerous.

When we were there, we rented a moped. We were warned not to put a purse or anything of value in the basket in the front because it was likely to be taken by someone speeding by and snatching it.

Have to admit the silly little moped was fun -- born to be Wild & Free! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I am planning to rent a motor scooter in Bermuda with my husband. I can't find any threads about this and am looking to hear from folks who have done it. Thanks!

I would strongly advise finding another way to get around the island.

Unless you are a very experienced motorcyclist, they are very dangerous.

First off, they drive on the opposite side of the road, so when you come to corners it becomes very confusing.

Second, the local buses and cabdrivers have no patience when it comes to tourists on scooters. They ride right up to your bumper to get you to move quicker or pull over for them to pass you. Very scary!

Third, the roads themselves...usually just two lanes, one in each direction and they are very very curvy.

Last, almost every cruise will have a passenger (usually more then 1) coming back from scooter accidents with injuries and there have also been several deaths. Not something Bermuda advertises.

When we were in Bermuda last year, a British tourist from the Norwegian Spirit was killed after being hit by a bus on a scooter.

I am sure you will get people who say, do it, nothing wrong with it, but many will tell you not to.

We did this many years ago and then I did it a few years later.

You do have to use a lot of caution because you could fall off of it.

You really have to focus and not take your mind off what you are doing because in a split of a second you can fall.

My two times doing it were fine but i do know of people who fell and got cut up quite a bit.

Keith

Buy Medical Insurance and bring your passport with you .;)

Buy Medical Insurance and bring your passport with you.

Good advice, even if you're not renting a scooter. I would seriously recommend some sort of medevac insurance and a credit card with a high limit. Here's the word from the U.S. State Department website (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1067.html): "Adequate medical care is available for routine procedures, though extremely expensive. The hospital performs general surgery and has an intensive care unit. Serious or complex medical problems will likely require medical evacuation to the United States. Most Bermudian health care providers including the local hospital do not accept overseas insurance and will expect payment at the time of service."

Edited by Langoustine

I was always all for renting the mopeds whenever we went to Bermuda! My husband always drove and I sat in back and it was awesome! I loved it! :D

BUT... on our 2011 cruise.... I got my own moped. :eek: NEVER AGAIN!! I almost killed myself. I didn't crash or get hurt, but I almost did and I was just bracing for impact! How I avoided a crash I don't know. :o I swear I had an angel watching over me that day. When I think about it, I still get stomach sick. :(

If you rent one, just be very careful!! I will never rent one again!!!

Obviously, be careful. Accidents can happen and you should have experience riding them. Having said that, I will always rent a scooter in Bermuda. To me, it's the only way to really see the island and you will miss a lot of the experience without one. I look at it like going to a ski resort and not skiing. In BDA, the scooters are a way of life. It is not like the Caribbean, where everyone has cars and a few have scooters. I would guess that most residents own one and they are very used to everyone, including tourists, riding them.

I will not ride a motorcycle or scooter anywhere else but here. The speed limit is only 20. Of course, you can still be seriously hurt or killed going 20 mph, but you are certainly not going to be travelling at high speeds.

At last check, you cannot rent a car on the island and I believe they still have a restriction on how many cars a household can own. So, scooters are a very popular mode of transportation. Very conveinent as well. There are scooter parking lots eveywhere.

There are so many great beaches to find, back roads to explore, etc. The pier location is far from the main sights on the island, at the very end. So, constant cabs, buses, or ferries do not interest me. In 15 trips to the island, I've never had anything close to an incident with the scooters. I'm careful and the locals seem to be careful as well. I guess determine your own risk, but I will say it is a lot easier than it looks and IMO, as stated earlier, is the only option to see BDA in the proper way.

We've rented sometimes and not rented others. Now, it's a bit pricy and with a 3 day bus pass, it's just as convenient to use the bus/ferry, get off where and when you want, hop back on, and still be able to see and do just about anything you could have done had you rented a scooter. IF you obey the speed limits and traffic laws, I don't find them unsafe, but I think practically speaking, at this point, you're better off with the bus/ferry pass.

I think you've gotten very good advice above about the very real dangers of renting a scooter in Bermuda. Not just the typical risks of being on a vehicle like this on hilly, narrow, curvy roads with lots of buses, but the added risks of driving on the opposite side of the road from what you are used to. It means that your instincts will be all wrong; you may have a split second to react to something, and you won't have time to think "which way should I turn?" -- you will just do it, instinctively; and you may be terribly wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
I understand all the warnings, but I think we will enjoy the freedom of going where we want on scooters. Anyone out there have good experiences with scooters to share?

Scroll back to May 27 on this thread -- I posted my scooter experience in Bermuda.

I'm still giving renting a scooter serious thought. Perhaps for a day. Have an MC endorsement and can ride 800+ lbs Harley's but yes, understand the possible dangers riding in Bermuda. Then again, can be as bad or worse in the states.

Any particular rental place better than others? :confused:

If you have some experience riding, you should be fine. But if you are just learning, I wouldn't recommend Bermuda as a training ground.

The first time I drove on the opposite side of the road was in Grand Cayman. We rented a scooter there and had lot's of fun. Just pay attention and don't day dream. After about 15 minutes I felt comfortable driving on the left.

We just stayed in a rental for 10 days and had a scooter for the entire time.

Like others have said, this is no place to learn how to ride, but if you have some experience, odds are you'll be fine.

Best advice that I received is...

- never look back. The speed limit is 20 MPH. It is obeyed about as much as the 55 MPH on some US Highways. Bermudians are the nicest people in the world until they get behind the wheel (or handlebars). You WILL be tailgated, but don't freak out... just focus on what is ahead of you. A quick glance in the rearview mirror occasionally is all you need. You will be STARTLED when someone passes you from out of nowhere. Again don't make any quick changes, just stay the course and focus on your scooter and what's ahead.

- if you obstructing traffic for a while, pull over safely and let everyone pass. Sometimes the roads are too narrow and curvy, or there may be too much oncoming traffic for someone to pass you. If this goes on for a while look ahead for a wide area, like a bus stop and put on your turn signal and pull over safely to let everyone pass. Other people have places to be. You're on vacation. There's no rush.

- slow speed maneuvers are trickier than you think. You will get comfortable moving along at 20-30 MPH. Then you will need to stop or turn around in a driveway and think you can handle it just fine. Stop right there. At walking speed the throttle and gearing become super sensitive. If you give it a little extra gas your turning radius suddenly expands and now you are off the pavement or into a nice coral wall that is more abrasive than the strongest sandpaper. If you need to turn in tight space, throttle all the way down (or as one taxi driver suggested, turn the motor off) and go to "Fred Flintstone" mode... move the bike with your feet. It will take a few seconds longer but will save you embarrassment, road rash or even more.

I only used the motorbike during the day and had a zero tolerance policy for alcohol. (I had a non-alcoholic beer at the Swizzle Inn :( ) If we were going out at night it was usually bus on the way there and taxi home.

Overall I loved the experience with my own means of transportation. We travelled the entire Island from Dockyard to St. Georges and filled up twice.

Good luck!

I've been to Bermuda 3x and rented scooters twice. Never had a problem nor did I see any accidents including riding in the pitch black of night. If you have the "feel" for it, after about 10 minutes you will be comfortable. If not, you probably never will. There is no better way in my opinion to explore on your own if you like doing that sort of thing. I say go for it! You should know pretty quickly if you are comfortable. If you are you will have a blast. If you are not it will be torture.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I've been to Bermuda 3x and rented scooters twice. Never had a problem nor did I see any accidents including riding in the pitch black of night. If you have the "feel" for it, after about 10 minutes you will be comfortable. If not, you probably never will. There is no better way in my opinion to explore on your own if you like doing that sort of thing. I say go for it! You should know pretty quickly if you are comfortable. If you are you will have a blast. If you are not it will be torture.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Looking forward to renting one in September for 2 days. Unfortunately you were able to bring the scooter on the Orange ferry line. But it seems like the green and the blue lines are the only ones that accepts scooters now.

Edited by Zigggypup

Looking forward to renting one in September for 2 days. Unfortunately you were able to bring the scooter on the Orange ferry line. But it seems like the green and the blue lines are the only ones that accepts scooters now.

That's because the ferry they've leased to use on the Orange route this summer, the Millennium, can't accommodate the scooters.