Charge in MDR for gifted wine by our TA

Going on Enchantment in July with large group and our travel agent is giving each of us 2 bottles of wine in our cabin, if we bring these bottles to dinner r we still charged a fee since we didn't bring them on board but r gifts? Thanks!

Going on Enchantment in July with large group and our travel agent is giving each of us 2 bottles of wine in our cabin, if we bring these bottles to dinner r we still charged a fee since we didn't bring them on board but r gifts? Thanks!

Yes. Ask her to send them to the MDR instead of to your cabin. She won't. She has to pay more if she does.

Go ahead - try it. ;)

I was under the impression that any wine purchased from Royal Caribbean, whether it be onboard or from Gifts & Gear, would then be free of the corkage fee, and that the fee is only charged for bottles of wine brought aboard during embarkation.

Looking at this page for ordering the wine, I don't see any difference in price for delivering the wine to the cabin or the main dining room. It does, however, say "Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only" and that's a bit odd to say "only".

I was under the impression that any wine purchased from Royal Caribbean, whether it be onboard or from Gifts & Gear, would then be free of the corkage fee, and that the fee is only charged for bottles of wine brought aboard during embarkation.

Looking at this page for ordering the wine, I don't see any difference in price for delivering the wine to the cabin or the main dining room. It does, however, say "Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only" and that's a bit odd to say "only".

Mark, it has to do with perks available to travel agents. Royal Caribbean charges them a minimal amount for bottles delivered to staterooms. They up the price if it is to be delivered to the MDR. They want their cut no matter what. :)

I also thought once the new wine policy was started last November, there were no more corkage fees except for wine brought on by the guest. I know I read something about wine provided by the TA, but can't find it now.

Actually our wine from out TA is always in our cabin. But if you open it before you go to the MDR, then there won't be a charge. Plus, I imagine that if you do traditional dining and your asst. waiter opens it, he/she probably won't charge you. But, again, if you open it in your cabin then there should be no problem.

I just found the relevant section on Royal's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

As MM said with regard to wine provided by a TA, it depends on how it was purchased. If it comes from Gifts & Gear, then no corkage.

I'm curious though how the MDR staff would know what method the TA used to purchase the wine when you just show up with it in the MDR.:confused:

We have always been told that the bottle of wine RC gives us is subject to a corkage fee if we have it delivered to our room & take to MDR, if delivered to MDR, no fee.:confused: The one time it was delivered to our room, we carried the open bottle to the MDR and the assistant waiter told us he was going to pretend he did not see it as he was supposed to charge us a fee. ;)

Sherri:)

I just found the relevant section on Royal's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq

As MM said with regard to wine provided by a TA, it depends on how it was purchased. If it comes from Gifts & Gear, then no corkage.

I'm curious though how the MDR staff would know what method the TA used to purchase the wine when you just show up with it in the MDR.:confused:

Isn't the specially priced TA " gift" wine a cheap brand not available through Gifts and Gear?

Isn't the specially priced TA " gift" wine a cheap brand not available through Gifts and Gear?

Maybe you're right, and that's how they can tell it didn't come from Gifts and gear.

Actually our wine from out TA is always in our cabin. But if you open it before you go to the MDR, then there won't be a charge. Plus, I imagine that if you do traditional dining and your asst. waiter opens it, he/she probably won't charge you. But, again, if you open it in your cabin then there should be no problem.

The corkage fee isn't about them physically opening the bottle for you. It's a charge for allowing outside wine in the dining room. So opening it in advance and taking the bottle to the mdr can still result in a corkage fee. You can pour a glass and take the glass with you to the mdr to avoid the corkage fee.

As travel agent I do purchase wine as gifts and buy it through RCCL. No one has been charged a corkage fee at the dining room. They usually state this was a gift onboard.

Can you tell us what choices of wine they give you?

On our last 2 cruises we had Champagne from the travel agent and wine(Berringer) from guest services. Both were opened at dinner with no charge. Other passengers at out table had wine and champagne which was also opened at no charge.

Also thinking that if the waiters see a bottle of La Terrible, they know that it must be a gift as nobody who cares enough about wine and who is going to bring on two bottles will choose to bring on a $6 bottle of wine.

It's a nice gesture by the TA, but heck, I'd rather have a dinner in a specialty restaurant than a throwaway bottle of wine!

Archived