Any Regatta Alaska Returnees Yet?

curtdesilets

We leave in two weeks on the Regatta and I was wondering he same thing. Very few posts on the roll call, and there have been about three Alaska cruises on Regatta to Alaska so far. Haven't seen any posts. Would love some info.

Just sitting in Seattle with that lovely anticipation of pre-cruise excitement building up!

We are leaving tomorrow on Regatta, first-timers on Oceania!:D

If you have any specific questions we can try and answer whilst on board, I will do my best to find out for you.

We will have Internet but depending on how much fun we are having, I will answer as and when;)!

Just sitting in Seattle with that lovely anticipation of pre-cruise excitement building up!

We are leaving tomorrow on Regatta, first-timers on Oceania!:D

If you have any specific questions we can try and answer whilst on board, I will do my best to find out for you.

We will have Internet but depending on how much fun we are having, I will answer as and when;)!

Thank-you for the offer. I checked your itinerary and it looks great. We will be sailing up in August and I would be interested in the route and timing through the portion of the Inside Passage your taking. I have a mile-by-mile map and book describing scenery we will pass and interesting stories of the places but might be too hard to follow depending on the detail on the ship's position map.

In any case being as we will be doing that leg northbound in the evening and tides being different your timing will be completely different. There are not many places where the ships cruise so close to shore so we plan on dinner on Terrace's outer deck. Likey be an up-early morning too

Your a long way from Scotland but just might have familiar weather. Enjoy your cruise (and the cool misty mornings!)

I was on the first Alaska sailing, May 9-18, Gateway to Alaska. The whole experience was so wonderful that I have been experiencing severe cruise withdrawal.

In response to your inquiry, I have finally taken the time to write a review of the cruise and relive it. (How could nine days pass so quickly?) I have submitted the review for publication. Warning: it's longgggg!

I envy each of you who are yet to experience this cruise. May you have as spectacular a time as I did.

Will be happy to answer any questions. I know I have left things out.

Nancy

Hi everyone!

On the Regatta in Victoria, BC, until later tonight, disembarking in Seattle tomorrow (Tues June 4).

The weather has been beautiful all the way, except for a light drizzle on the day we were in Hoonah (Icy Straight Point).

We saw humpback whales several times not only on the whale tour boats but also from the ship. Saw black bears on one tour; some folks saw brown bears on another. Eagles and nests all over the place. Unfortunately the orca excursion was cancelled in Victoria.

Folks who went on the Yukon railroad tour from Skagway loved it.

The scenery is spectacular everywhere - like cruising through the Alps!

Hi everyone!

- like cruising through the Alps![/quote]

Currently in Switzerland and agree the scenery in both is gorgeous and spectacular.

If Alaska only had towns with some charm rather than junk and tee-shirt shops...it could be like the Alps.

For the next week the weather is supposed to be nice. Bring a rain coat with you to be safe and an umbrella (oops forgot, Oceania has nice big ones in your cabin) We are finally getting some summer weather here in Vancouver. Nice treat to see the sun rather than liquid sunshine.:D

I am getting excited too. We board Regatta two weeks from today! Are the umbrellas in all rooms? I have done two Alaska cruises on Holland America, both in September. The first time it rained in every port. Last September DH and I had a veranda and we sat outside a lot. Beautiful every day! Hoping for good weather this time too.

There should be. Ask your room steward for one if you don't have one in your room. Enjoy Alaska. it is very beautiful and hopefully you will see plenty of animals. We just drove down from northern BC and on our drive saw Mama bear and her cub. It was fun to sit in the car and watch them romping around.

Alaska weather is like going to Las Vegas...as it is a gamble . The gulf of Alaska is a place of constant flux and this year is being pretty whacky.

So, be very flexible, Don't make weather a condition of enjoyment as there is enough other stuff to compensate. Pack a flexible attitude:D

What one experiences on week may not be there the next. Keep an open mind and remember that in Ketchikan they have the" Ketchikan Rain Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31".

Rather than umbrellas I would suggest a nifty nylon shell parka and pants. Sierra Design makes them for cheap and they weigh about 4 oz and can fit over your regular clothes. Too the are great for wind and insect as the mosquitos, black flies and no seeums love the summers till the first freeze in late August.

As to "TACKY TOWNS".....well there are plenty of excellent national parks like in Skagway, "Gold Rush NHP" and Sitka, Juneau has a USFS visitor center at the Glacier. Then the NPS/USFS visitor center in Ketchican is a huge museum with programs. All manned by park rangers.... not one of which is selling tee shirts.....just concepts.

Nylon shell parka does not work if unfortunately you hit a torrential downpour. You will get soaked regardless.

Skagway reminds me of the Caribbean. Lots of duty free shops. There are spots to go see other than the stores. The train is a touristy thing, but you get to see some beautiful scenery and if it is a sunny day, well worth going on.

Juneau: You can take the tram up the mountain and go hiking. They also usually have some indigenous displays as well as other displays which are worth a wander through. You do not need a tour to do the mountain. There is also some excellent hikes that you can take and if you go to the tourist information they can give you a map. You will need insect repellant and I suggest a bear bell. The insects are vicious this year up north as the weather has been perfect breeding weather for them. Make sure you are wearing some sort of eye protection to keep the bugs out of your eyes. Sunglasses or regular glasses work fine. I have just got home from a trip up to northern BC so am well aware of the bugs. I would take some insect bite solution so that if you do get bit, you don't have to suffer.:eek:

We are sailing in 5 weeks; 10-day Alaska Wilderness aboard Regatta. Very much looking forward to reading fellow Oceania cruisers' reviews & experiences both onboard and in port. Our July 12 cruise is long sold out. We have been inundated with email offers to switch to other exotic cruises (Bora Bora, New Zealand) of even longer duration (one was 21 days!) and/or with a penthouse upgrade at no additional charge. Amazing! There were at least two takers on our roll call (also very few posters) who made the switch.

I was on the first Alaska sailing, May 9-18, Gateway to Alaska. The whole experience was so wonderful that I have been experiencing severe cruise withdrawal.

In response to your inquiry, I have finally taken the time to write a review of the cruise and relive it. (How could nine days pass so quickly?) I have submitted the review for publication. Warning: it's longgggg!

I envy each of you who are yet to experience this cruise. May you have as spectacular a time as I did.

Nancy

Read and enjoyed your thorough review. Thanks !!

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I read your review. It was very informative. We will be on our first Oceania cruise in August, also to Alaska. And this will also be our 4th trip to Alaska. Thanks for all the information. We are looking forward to our cruise.

Mary Lou

Nancy

Where is this posted..I can't seem to find it.

Nancy

I enjoyed your review so much that I printed it out for the rest of the family to read when we sail the Regatta to Alaska June 18. Thank you for the time you took over it and enjoy Egypt. Its a fabulous place.

Nancy

Thank-you for taking the time to write your nicely written review Cruise Belle. We enjoyed reading of your trip.

As a retired history teacher, I encourage you all to take the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad. It is a marvel of engineering and you do travel over 60 miles of the original 100+ mile route.

Ranks right up there with the Panama Canal in terms of civil engineering and overcoming tremendous obstacles and weather. It is an International Historical Civil Engineering Landmark.

You also get to pass by the famous trail taken by the Ninety-Niners and if you have a good imagination you should be awed by what people hiked to get to gold.

Besides, riding on old trains is beyond cool and is a great way to see awesome scenery! (I stood outside between cars for much of the trip!)

Archived